Dr. George Balfour MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

July 9th, 2016
His ego won't allow you to disagree with him even once...
At first I thought he was a good doctor, but after being in severe pain for years and finally asking for pain management he offered me a drug that would cause too much harm/side effects for one body part. All I wanted was pain management on days where the pain was too much to function, not every day. Something I could take a few times a month and told him no I didn't want that specific drug. I am too young to take something that will cause that much damage to me. ALL doctors should be able to have a dialogue with their patients and discuss treatment options, but he can't do that. Once you say no he gets incredibly angry with you and immediately stops being your doctor. He didn't tell me to me face, but informed the insurance company that I needed to get another doctor. I didn't find out until the day before my next appointment that I no longer had him as my specialist. I was completed shocked and hurt. No one should be afraid to talk with their doctor, afraid to address their concerns, and should be allowed to decline options that are not good for them! I told him no once and he was done with me and for that I no longer have any respect for him. On a side note, he asked me if I was, at least (what a terrible way to put it), married (when my condition proved to be bad enough to make me disabled). I told him no. He rolled his eyes at me. Why should that even matter when it comes to my health?

May 3rd, 2016
His staff is ridiculous they set an appointment with no authorization had to move it twice third time they call me 2 days before surgery to tell me he is going out of town not to mention I waited a month due to him going on vacation! The kicker is his staff telling me that the soonest date is a month later! I have to sit in pain waiting on him! No apology nothing! He is very knowledgeable and his diagnosis was great but his office needs to learn professionalism! How can you allow a patient to just be ok with that? Who sets an appointment with no authorization? Again great doctor but unprofessional staff with no respect nor do they care! Be careful!

February 21st, 2016
Caring Doctor
Dr. Balfour takes the time needed to answer questions I may have as well as to ease my fears when I had to have surgery. My hand surgery went very well and I am recovering nicely. His work was amazing. No one besides myself can tell that I had surgery as there is only a very small mark where the incision was made. It literally is an extremely small dot.

October 6th, 2015
I do not recommend dr Balfour at all. The only thing I give him credit for is discovering my right hand was truly broken. My hand was misdiagnosed at a different medical facility. His staff is rude and inattentive and seem overwhelmed with their job. Only the X-ray technician was polite and sympathetic regarding my condition. I was almost not seen because I could it pay the 5 dollar copay which I asked them to bill me. It is not easy to get an appointment with dr Balfour because he switches offices. I had to raise a big fuss and speak to a office manager who got the staff to see me. I appreciate her very much. When I saw Balfour he was short , trite and grumpy. He confirmed my hand was broken in three places. That was about it. Did not ask my pain level, did not offer pain medication, did not suggest physical therapy. He also knew I was disabled and could not work and did not offer to put me on unemployment. No advice what's over all he said is that he can't do anything to help me because it was to late. He did not say how the healing process was going and he told me to come back in 9 months. His receptionist is very rude. Find another doctor.

August 14th, 2013
Mr
I had a severe comminuted fracture of the left wrist. He took me on an emergency basis in the evening. It couldn't have been done better! I had very little pain after surgery which he was shocked. I had six screws and a plate inserted. I could have went home after the surgery. Absolute work of art.

September 14th, 2012
Awful from start to finish!!!
Getting an appointment took FOREVER!!! The staff called me at 8:12 am the morning of my appointment to get medical history (already driving to the appointment). Get to appointment(15 minutes early) & fill out paperwork. Appointment is at 9:30 & hear nurse at 9:45 on the phone with the doctor asking him if he is on his way & the other nurse wanted her to ask him if he could stop by Starbucks (WOW!!!). After being called into room at 10:15 & measurements are done, still have to wait for doctor. He is in another room with a patient with the door open & I can hear everything. He finally comes to me (an hour late) & not 2 minutes in a nurse comes into the room with a headset & tells him he has a call from another doctor. He puts the headset on, saying nothing to me, gets out a piece of paper to start to take notes. The other doctor finally comes on the line & I can hear the conversation (both sides)& they start talking about a patient. He finally gets off the phone after about 5 minutes & finishes with me by saying "What do you want me to do? Deal with the pain & the numbness & get on with your life!!!" What a lovely bedside manner...NOT!!!

September 14th, 2012
Would not recommend

August 29th, 2012
GREATEST ORTHO DR......
He has done 3 surgeries on me..Right shoulder, Left hand (2) and he is so great in explaining what is wrong and how he will fix it ..He is so great and love his sence of humor .. His staff is so special and helpful too..If you have to wait a little longer it is OK as he usually has had an emergency and that is what happens when you are a SPECIAL DR.... so it is not hard to wait as then you know if you have an emergency he will be there for you ...

May 2nd, 2012
Good Doctor
Very good surgeon. Did a great job on my trigger finger releases.

March 22nd, 2012
Not impressed
Doctor didn't introduce himself nor apologize for the almost 2 hour wait. Office staff was nice enough. Inner examining rooms were not neat nor did it look very clean. Instruments were laying around on tables w/out sterile tray or clean towels beneath them. The whole experience was a bit offputting.

February 6th, 2012
Mixed feelings about this doctor
I was referred to this doctor by my internist. My first visit was thorough though I was kept waiting for 45 minutes past my appointment time. My second visit was less impressive, first I was kept waiting over 90 minutes with no explanation or apology, spent about 7 minutes with the doctor who told me I was doing fine, but offered no solution to my chronic pain other than to come back in 4 weeks for another shot of cortisone.

September 3rd, 2011
this doctor lies in his reports states he does test that never were performed and states his nurse is in the room the whole time he is in there and she isnt and he is rude and refuse to anwer questions