Dr. George Geils MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

July 12th, 2013
Brilliant, compassionate cancer specialist
My wife was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer 2 years ago. At stage 4 with tumors in her liver the surgeon told us that she should go to hospice. We had heard about Dr Geils Jr from a friend and called to get an appointment. He saw us the next day. He and his team were very thorough in analyzing the scans. He suggested that although she had stage 4, that there was at least a small chance that she could be cured! He recommended that she start chemo and see how the liver tumors responded. After 6 months they had reduced dramatically. He reviewed the situation with different specialists. Surgery could possibly remove 2 tumors but the third was too deep and could be treated with a needle that wpuld heat the tumor and destroy it "rfa". So she had surgery that successfully removed 2 of the tumors and the rfa treated the third. That was a year and a half ago and there is no evidence of cancer now. He made it clear that it will be a while before he can say that she is cured, and there is still a high chance it could come back. But Dr Geils Jr gave my wife the chance to live. He was honest and thorough at every step and let us know what to expect. He does not "sugar coat" news and we know that we can trust him. I cannot imagine a better oncologist anywhere!!!

September 17th, 2012
Unprofessional Staff
I received a formal notice to seek follow-up specialty care elsewhere due to cancelled appointments and failed to show for visits with improper notice. I've never seen this doctor,only the nurse practitioner. I was under the care of his father until his father retired. On two occasions, I've received calls from the staff that they needed to cancel my appt due to the physician being out of the office. Yes, I've canceled 2 appointments due to me being ill and having a procedure the same day. In reference to the letter, I spoke to the Office Manager(Zack). He was rude about the situation and also fail to look into the matter before sending out a certify letter. Also stated that he wasn't aware of some of the calls I receive in reference to the physican not being able to see me. Who does this? But everything happens for a reason. That was my sign that I needed to seek medical care someplace else.

September 25th, 2011
Very quick to leave the room when seeing my husband in the hospital. does not take the time to explain anything!

September 19th, 2011
My mom was diagnosed with stage IV Colon Cancer that had spread to her liver back in April. Dr. Geils and staff did everything possible to help my mom. She was responding well to the therapy and doing fine, but 2 weeks ago passed away due to unrelated causes. I am most appreciative of Dr. Geils and his staff and would recommend him to anyone.

July 14th, 2011
HORRIBLE experience with Dr. Geils Jr.
My father was diagnosed with very advanced stage IV melanoma early this year. My husband is an oncologist, but we lived several states away from my parents so my parents asked Dr. Geils to speak to him. Dr. Geils *repeatedly* told my father and mother that he would call my husband to discuss my father's illness and planned treatment as they requested. He NEVER called him, not when the diagnosis was made as they requested, not before starting the chemotherapy as they requested, nor after my fathers death just *days* after starting a chemotherapy regimen. He started my dad on very expensive course of treatment that was not appropriate (standard of care)for his illness and his condition (he was very weak and his performance status should have precluded this therapy). He led my mom and dad to believe my father's illness had a 1 in 3 chance of cure -- my mother wrote this in her notes -- a complete falsehood. He also did not contact my father's primary care doctor during my dad treatment. My father's illness was terrible and quick to take him from us, but Dr. Geils made the horrific experience even worse and I would not recommend him to anyone!!