Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Medical Oncologist
1120 First Colonial Rd
Ste 202
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
757-481-0327
Locations and availability (3)

2.5

Jan 31st, 2014

Dr. Kemp is a great doctor but his staff - the receptionist - is extremely unhelpful. I called in with a simple request and she refused to help me and just kept saying "okay" to everything I said. She should have just said "I don't care" instead as it was obvious from the tone of her voice that was what she meant. I would NEVER go back there because of the office atmosphere but as I already said doctor Kemp is a good doctor. His staff on the other hand are like robots - emotionless, unhelpful and don't care kind of people.

by Denise on Jan 8th, 2014

I have nothing positive things to said about Dr. Kemp and his staff. I have always been able to get an appointment in a timely manner and have never had to wait an extended amount of time in the waiting area. I found him to be direct and to the point. Answered all my questions pertaining to my proceedure. I would recommend Dr. Kemp to anyone who needed his services.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Mk on Aug 8th, 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of encountering this dr strictly because he was on call. All I can say is he was awful. Rude, abrupt, and just awful. I would never, ever, under any circumstances actually seek him out at his practice.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Kemp for years and never experienced any rudeness or lack of interest in my care from him or his office staff. He has always listened, answered my questions, and been professional and courteous. I've never had to wait a long time, he is not in a hurry and his wife and office manager is warm and caring.

|  uncomfortable patient  |  show details
Feb 11th, 2013

worst pap i have ever had

|  Great doctor, got the job done!  |  show details
Jan 18th, 2013

Dr. Kemp was really wonderful in my time of need and high stress. Not only was he able to see me almost immediately for my first appointment, but he also worked with me when my insurance decided I had a pre-existing condition. He was very reassuring and optimistic about my condition throughout the entire process. The other thing that really stood out to me was how the nurses would react when they found out he was my doctor. It was very clear that he demanded the best for his patients and had a low tolerance for any mess ups or changes to his instructions. I really feel like I benefited from that. I would also say that he really was on-top of my pain management and made sure I was comfortable while recovering. Finally, what impressed me the most was how committed he was to answering my questions. When I went for my consultation my son came with a list of questions and he took the time to answer them all and then even called my daughter who lives out of town to go over the results and plan and make sure she understood everything as well. Dr. Kemp is a phenomenal doctor and surgeon.

May 2nd, 2012

I have been seeing DR. Kemp for years and he and his staff have always been very courteous and knowledgeable. I have never seen his rude side as stated in others comments. He has always treated me with respect and is caring.

|  Not a pleasant experience  |  show details
Mar 17th, 2011

My appt was made by my current OBGYN doctor who used to practice with Kemp so I got right in after my ultrasounds. He is very much to the point and as long as you ask few questions and take his word as law there will be no problems. Well, that's not me! His wife is the office manager and at first was very kind; she later changed when I questioned his manner and disconnection to me as a patient. My surgery was scheduled and upon the completion of my phone conversation with his office/wife, I cancelled the surgery and told her to put me on the "no longer a patient" list. She told me that could be arranged and I said "thank you" and hung up. He is so angry looking; he assumes that you are an idiot yet penalizes you for asking any questions.....he is in a hurry and basically tells a patient what he wants and no more. I found him to be too disattached for my liking and will look for another surgeon. Bless his wife's heart; she is probably the only one who will put up with his crap in this day and age.......good for her!

Oct 22nd, 2010

Dr. Kemp has a poor bedside mannner and his staff is rude and disconnected also. He doesn't seem like he is actually paying attention or cares about you as an actual human being. I was made to feel stupid for asking questions or not knowing the exact terminology of something. He didn't take any real time during the visit to discuss a plan or fo you to have a say in your care either. Cancer patients need more assurance than just getting their privates poked and told they will be just fine.

|  Rude, disrespectful to military, dirty office, waited over an hour  |  show details
by gina on Sep 24th, 2010

First of all, I got an appointment right away with peter since the other 2 gynecologists were booked for months since they were very popular. I see now why he was everyone's last choice. The office building is dirty and sticky. I waited over an hour. After he yelled at my children for talking and then was short and rude for no reason with me I complained about the wait. He told me he doesn't have to explain himself and especially to someone in the military. I guess we're lowly and he's a high and mighty doctor. Horrible creepy person, horrible MD, bad office manager, unprofessional and uncaring.

|  Best in the business. Period.  |  show details
Sep 17th, 2010

If you want the best in the business and a doctor who gets things done, this is your doctor. I had my procedure done in 2005 and received first class treatment in his office that extended to the hospital where the admissions folks on up to the staff on the floor knew that when Dr Kemp had a patient everything had to be done correctly or they would answer to him. One nurse kept coming in making sure I had the stockings on so that I would not get a blood clot and checked my vitals diligently. When I told her that I didn't want the stockings, she said that she would have to answer to Dr Kemp and preferred that I kept them on. Everyone that tended to me said the same thing when they came to check on me. I was grateful. He was accessible at all hours, left his number with us when I was discharged, follow-up was quick and thorough. I know there are those who speak about his bedside manner but if they're wanting someone to lie to them and hold their hands then Dr Kemp is not your doctor. He finds out the best solution for you, considers your questions carefully but will give you what his opinion and the studies have shown, and has careful consideration for what you are comfortable and not comfortable with. His no-nonsense approach is best for those who want to get on with their lives. If you're looking to be coddled and are unsure of what to do, find another doctor. If you're looking for someone to help you find a solution and move on with the rest of your life then Dr Kemp is your doctor. Swift. I have moved out of country and if I could, I would return to VA Beach for my yearly exams. Best staff, you will be looked after very well.

|  Great doctor  |  show details
by Kristin U Whiting on May 30th, 2010

My mother and I were both treated by Dr. Kemp. She was with him for 18 years. She had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and breast cancer. People may like his bedside manner, but personally I rather have a doctor who is sure of himself and wants to treat you correctly then one who wants to be your best friend. No matter what you think of his bedside manner, he is still a compassionate person. My mother and family loved him and I could not recommend another doctor any higher. 5 stars all around!

|  Add arrogant to rude!  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Oct 16th, 2009 on insiderpages.com

I agree with the previous reviewer. I would add arrogant and bullying to rude, however. The impression I got was how dare you question me!...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
Doctor's Response

Self confident in my ability to care for ill patients.

|  The Best Of The Best!!!  |  show details
by Denise PeTree on Dec 11th, 2008

I love Dr. George Kemp!!! I am moving to Miami and I WILL come back to Virgina Beach for ALL of my yearly visits; and if any problems should arise, I will be right on a plane to see him. This is not an exaggeration. I had a sponge left in my abdomen from a surgery that I had in New Jersey in 2004 and Dr. Kemp removed it and my experience with him was so very Wonderful!!! I could not have had a better or more caring Dr. My insurance did not want to cover the surgery, because they said that it was a pre-existing condition and guess what, Dr. Kemp didn't even worry about that. He did the surgery anyway; now how is that for caring for your patients. Like I said, I love Dr, Kemp

|  rude  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Nov 13th, 2005 on insiderpages.com

Very well versed in his trade, yet no bedside manners! Rude and doesn`t like to be questioned or second guessed. Very nice office staff, j...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
Doctor's Response

Obviously unhappy and anonymous.