Primary Care Doctor, Family Practitioner

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Disappointed by Disrespectful Health-Care Provides  |  show details
by John Taylor on Apr 12th, 2014

Warning: Our family has enjoyed seeing seen Dr. Chin and Dr. Royer at Family Care North in Columbus, GA for several years. The Georgia Department of Corporations lists Dr. Royer as the CEO and Dr. Chin as the CFO and Secretary. The office is sterile and not un-inviting. Financial policies are conspicuously posted informing you payment is expected at the time of service. Well, last week we had back-to-back appointments with Dr. Chin for my wife and our baby boy (the first appointments of the day). The baby is nursed on demand so staying together as a family was important to us. A member of the staff, Darla, took us aside and informed us office policy prohibited me from attending the appointment with my wife. She went on to say only one of us could be present with the baby unless that parent and the doctor agreed on the presence of the second parent. Huh?! This presented several problems for obvious reasons. At a minimum, we are the child’s (married) biological parents, so we have equal rights and interests in our children’s medical care. Plus, as the sole provider for a family of six, I have a vested interest in my wife’s health and she did not object to my presence. We asked Darla for an explanation hoping we could reach a compromise and that this policy was based in some logic which was less than obvious. We even mentioned that just three weeks earlier, we had both attended an appointment with our youngest daughter and there was no mention of this “policy”. We were surprised to discover the doctors do not equip their staff to provide any reasonable explanation. We received nothing other than “I’m sorry, that is our policy.” We asked to speak with Dr. Chin. Darla returned a few moments later and said Dr. Chin was “too busy.” We had back to back appointments at 8:30 and 9:00 so that was a lie. As we were leaving we asked if anyone would call us to offer an explanation. Darla replied “the office manager may call you but I can’t guarantee anything.” We left the office feeling slightly embarrassed, frustrated, and inconvenienced by doctors we felt had been disrespectful to us and who should have behaved as professional health-care providers. Although we understand all businesses have policies, Family Care North should equip their staff to provide the rationale behind policies when less than obvious. We feel we are owed an explanation if not an apology.

Mar 18th, 2014

They are both awesome. My entire family goes to them. They are great

Dec 1st, 2011

Dr Royer is fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about him, He takes his time with his patients,listens to concerns and acts in a professional caring manner. We are so lucky to have found him to meet our medical needs!

Nov 8th, 2011

The office staff does not return phone calls and puts the answering machine on.Thus, you cannot call them if you have a problem. The person calling peoplewas insensitive and uncaring on the phone. I will never go back to this doctor again.

|  Don't disagree or you will be terminated!  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2011

My family and I were patients of Dr. Royer for over 5 years. My child had a peculiar rash around his nose. I tried to call to make an appt. and was told that it would be a 2 week wait and to go to a walk in clinic. I followed those instructions, but the walk in dr did not address the problem. I called back and was told it would another 2 weeks before I could get an appointment. I expressed my concern that the dr. should be made aware that I had been trying to have my son seen for over a month. I requested to have either the head nurse or dr to return my call. No one returned my call. When my husband called the next day, he was told that we had ALL been terminated because I was rude and cussed out the office staff. This was totally untrue and unfounded. Dr. Royer believed someone who had been with his staff for less than 6 months rather than a patient of 5 years. After a visit to a dermatologist, the "rash" was actually a staph infection that had gone untreated for over 2 months. Before that, my husband needed medical records faxed to a specialist. It took 3 phone calls over a 2 week period to actually get that done. My kids loved Dr. Royer, but his staff is a representation of his beliefs and office policies. I would never recommend this practice to anyone.

|  The worst way to run a medical office  |  show details
Jun 9th, 2011

Let the buyer beware: This is the most backward, ill conceived way to run a doctor's office that I have ever encountered.Usually a doctors office will have someone there who can tell you about your insurance status and they let you know if there is a problem. Not here!Last year,I was billed to the wrong insurance company by Dr Royer's billing service. (even though the office staff copy my insurance card and my drivers license every time I go there)It took me 6 MONTHS to get the billing dept. to send it to the right insurance company.The office staff can't help you, it is completely up to you to deal with the errors which were made by the billing staff. The office staff simply give you a number to call, and you have to leave a message for billing to get back to you.I had to pay some money "in good faith" until my insurance finally got billed and paid for everything. This year, I again encountered problems, and after calling the billing department, I was told that my insurance company was not paying. However when I called my insurance company I was told that they had not been billed. It is a nightmare.It seems to me the doctor has something to do with who he chooses as his staff.

|  Good doctor, TERRIBLE staff  |  show details
Feb 23rd, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr Royers for years but have recently changed to another doctor because the staff is rude and does a poor job. In 2008 it took them 6 weeks to fax a simple referral to a specialist, and as a result I ended up having to have a surgery that would not have been necessary if they had done their jobs in a timely manor. The office manager gave me a rude and insincere apology with the excuse that "the paperwork must have gotten misplaced" repeatedly. Early in 2010 I called to be treated for the flu and was told by the receptionist that since I had not been seen in the office in over a year that they could not "work me in", and it would be a week before they could see me. I was later told by the doctor that this was incorrect. And later in 2010 I spent monthes clearing up bills where someone did not file my insurance correctly. I have no complaints about the doctor himself, but there are tons of other great doctors that also have great office staffs. Dont waste your time on this one!!

|  A wonderful doctor!!  |  show details
Dec 20th, 2010

My husband and I have been patients of Dr. Royer for over two years now and are very satisfied with the care we have received.Dr. Royer has a compassion for his patients that is second to none. And this is demonstrated by his care of their health as well as the way he takes the time to really listen. By the end of each visit, I always feel heard and I have never felt rushed. When tests are necessary, Dr. Royer makes a point of going over the results with me, so that I have a better understanding of what is going on with my health-as well as the course of treatment he recommends.I have seen alot of doctors throughout my lifetime, and I can honestly say that Dr. Royer is the best of the best. My husband and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

Nov 10th, 2010

I dont know why anyone would not like this doctor! Nice, caring. Actually had a conversation with me instead of running out of the room. Plus, I actually saw the doctor. Not some PA or nurse practitioner. He seemed to know what he was doing and he actually seemed to care about me. Plus, he was on time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Aug 11th, 2010

Terrible staff courtesy...poor office ambiance with policies stuck with scothc tape everywhere...seems to be a good docter, however, not worth the treatment on the front end of the shop.Same ratings from numerous personel from another ratings siteon another site I looked at...never been treated so poorly in my entire life as a customer. My overall opinion is loww only due tpo the front end operations and not the physician.

Nov 9th, 2009

I love Dr. Royer and his partner Dr. Chin. These doctors really care for their patients.