Dr. Gerald Balsam MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Orlando, FL

3.0

September 13th, 2016
Excellent
I have been seeing this Doctor for more than two years, typically every 3 weeks to one month. I have not encountered any problems with any aspect of my treatment, nor the office staff. The building is quite nice and in a great location. Parking is easy. The waiting room is large and modern and has always accommodated any people waiting. The staff have been pleasant with each interaction in person and via phone. I have had appropriate and caring correspondence with the office staff, including the Doctors assistant, Z. It is easy to reach her through her extension and she has always brought whatever matter I presented to the attention of the Doctor as appropriate, and in turn I have always received expedient response. My time management is poor and I am frequently late to appointments, which can often be seen in certain diagnoses; however I have always been given the best treatment by the office and the doctor as they are flexible whenever it is feasible. I have never been simply dismissed and told to reschedule as if my concerns did not matter. There have even been several occasions when the doctor has said "I'm glad you showed up, I was concerned about you and wanted to see you today". Never have I been rushed or made to feel guilty. In terms of treatment it would take many paragraphs to adequately describe why I favor this doctor, but simply put he has proven consistently that he listens. He takes notes and refers to them each session in person during the subsequent sessions. This always saves time, and makes sure we address any changes in my condition. He has demonstrated that he knows me well and that he wants me to get better. He is disappointed if I am unwell and always revises the treatment plan or encourages me to stick to it. I can say for certain that my mood is more stable and my behaviors are better as a result of close monitoring and medication management. He also adequately addresses my medical issues as part of my treatment. He has always been kind and is realistic. He's also pleasant but he is never unprofessional.

January 29th, 2016
BE WARE! He is a horrible mean man. I only went to him a couple times and my neurologist told me that I should never have been put on the medicine that he gave me. When I told him so he could take me off of it, he yelled at me and told me to leave and do not come back until I see that HE is right. It was absolutely the most horrible experience of my life. BE WARE please!!

October 16th, 2015
BEWARE
He is the worst person I have ever met. Beware! He got upset because I was told by my neurologist that I he should have NEVER put me on the meds that he did. So he freaked out and ordered me to leave. with NO prescription, so I went into withdrawals. Please find someone that will give you the proper treatment. BEWARE!!

January 11th, 2012
Terrible doctor & staff
His staff is awful and he's lazy guy who just wants an easy schedule. They are rigid and not easy to work with. Alex who runs his stuff is the biggest jerk you can find, I have yet to come across anyone as terrible as she is in all my life. Even the first invoice will be all in caps screaming at you with highlighted info. They went through the trouble of documenting my minor daughters medical file as SHE was uncompliant despite the fact my daughter is minor and the scheduling problems that came up were completely out of her control. THEY NEVER BOTHERED TO SEND ME A LIST OF REFERRALS DESPITE MY REQUESTS AND THEIR LETTER OF DISCHARGE. They only care about getting your money and that's about it. I am now working with my PCP at the Franz Center instead and they were very upset to see the huge amount of medicine that was pushed on my daughter.

January 10th, 2011
NOT APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!
I feel this man has no bedside manner and no filter on his mouth. I feel his approach to evaluate my child was careless, unprofessional and without merit. He did not greet his patient or attempt to speak one word to my child during his evaluation. He shot gunned questions to us (parents) not allowing for any explanation. I feel he acted very uninterested in anything we felt we needed to elaborate. He diagnosed strictly off his questionnaire and no personal contact. Then he suggested that we drug or child with medication that is for much older children. When I asked him to explain his diagnosis he stood up and walked out of his office talking loudly 15 feet in front of me down the public corridor. So much for HIPPA!!! I feel this guy is a HACK!!! I feel the only children that belong in this guys presence are those that have a criminally psychotic disposition. As a parent, it is your responsibility to protect your children. I feel confident that Dr Balsams' best interest was not with my child!

January 9th, 2011
ALL ABOUT BALSAM
I have been seeing Dr. Balsam for over a year now & compared to other psychiatrists I have seen in the past, he is #1 for a caring doctor & the office wait is very minimal. I highly recommend him as a Dr. of psychiatry, & if your looking for a comendable Dr., look no further.

October 6th, 2010
he's awful and uncaring
unreachable in any emergency other than during office hours, takes off in the middle of the week and can't be reached. His office staff is obnoxiously rude and uncaring. Won't call you back for days.