Family Physicians

Brown Road Family Medicine
2310 E. Brown Road
Mesa, AZ 85213
(480) 649-9000
Locations and availability (1)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Kudzu. Yahoo.
 |  Stay at home mother  |  show details
by Jami Pitts on Dec 16th, 2013

Here's the thing. ALL the doctors and P.A's at Brown Road Family are TERRIBLE at diagnosing. If it is anything outside of the text book symptom's, they are clueless. I have, however stuck around because they are great at giving me prescriptions, and getting me seen fairly quickly. Although they are really slow on calling back. Today I called in to get a script for thrush. They didn't call me back until I had called three different times. Then they wouldn't give me the script unless they saw me. AND, they couldn't see me until tomorrow. I am in TONS of pain, and could really have used their help today. I will be leaving this practice. They have been disappointing over the years. They aren't capable to diagnosing, and now that they are unwilling to even give me general prescriptions? I'm done. I would not recommend this office to anyone.

|  Condescending  |  show details
by Unhappy patient on Jul 20th, 2013

Will NEVER return to see this doctor. His "bedside manner" is atrocious. He is condescending and judgemental. He is rude. He does not listen, he is impatient. He is not as smart as he thinks he is. During my first visit, I tried to inform him of all of my diagnoses, not knowing what was related or not - he interrupted me and actually said he "didn't care". He stated that I would have to make separate appointments to discuss each malady, and not very nicely. I tried to explain that I wasn't seeking treatment for all my illnesses, just wanted to make him aware and he interrupted again, saying again he "didn't care" and to make separate appointments. He seemed very annoyed with me and my questions. He actually accused me of lying regarding treatment prescribed by a physician's assistant at another practice. And without even examining me or running tests declared that I was drinking too much water, that "everyone in Arizona drinks too much water". What? After having bloodwork done, I was not contacted by this office until a couple of weeks later, after I had already obtained a copy and went to another physician. While he did have some good information to provide about one of my ailments, it was information provided by another physician in a much more caring and informative way. I left Dr Shockey's officee feeling like garbage, which is exactly how he treated me. No one deserves to be treated this way, Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, especially by someone you are PAYING.

Jul 12th, 2013

I have been going to this doctor for five years. I drop him as my family doctor a few months back due to how he treated my mother. If she did not go the ER as did after the visit with Dr Shockey she would be dead by now. Now my father is dealing with some health issues and he having to go back every two weeks and we are praying to get him to our new family doctor as soon as possible we don't want to experience the same thing as we did with my mother. I just found out that the cause of some of my health issues should have been address years ago and now I am having to live with it which could have been controlled years ago.

Oct 4th, 2011

Would recommend Dr Shockey as a family physician for anyone. He is practical, a good listener, direct, and makes referrals if needed. His office staff are excellent,friendly and professional. What a joy to be treated as if my time and health are both important.

|  Stay away from Dr Shockey  |  show details
Aug 11th, 2011

My husband went to see Dr Shockey a year ago with blood in his urine. He was 54 at the time. All Dr Shockey did was put him on antibiotics. Six months later it came back, he put him on antibiotics again but this time referred him to a urologist. Turned out to be stage 3 bladder cancer. He's since had his bladder and prostate removed and is doing well but if Dr Shockey would have sent him to a specialist from the beginning it most possibly could have saved his bladder but instead, he's gone through major surgery and now every 3 months he goes in for a CT scan to make sure the cancer hasn't come back. I used to see Dr Shockey myself but I am now looking for a new physician.

|  Kind, but poor at referrals and finding the cause of illnesses  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2011

We've been seeing this Dr for 4 years now, and although he is kind, the main difficulty is that he only treats the symptoms and then does not give any follow up. He rarely refers to specialists unless you insist, and an ongoing issue can be frustrating as you can't get any answers. He also doesn't seem to take time to look at your medical history, each time is like a first appointment. OK for annual physicals, but not when you need ongoing care.

|  Great with the kids  |  show details
by 'lilguy's mom on Apr 13th, 2010

Our family has been treated by Dr Shockey for several years now. He's great with my kids, especially the youngest who is mildly autistic. The problem I have is that he never seems to remember me. Each time he asks me if I've been treated there before, kind of bizarre. Other than that, he's done a good job with us, aside from the usual treating symptoms only (which all American doctors do).

|  Definitely general practitioner  |  show details
by Earthy on Nov 4th, 2008 on kudzu.com

If it doesn't show up in blood work, his favorite remedy is "wait 2 weeks" If you go in for a well checkup physical and he asks you if you have any new issues and you tell him, he tells you that you need to make another appt.for that. After trying to change physicians, I am stuck with him due to insurance issues. Go figure...I think the HMO's own him

Read Full Review at kudzu.com
Aug 5th, 2008 on yahoo.com

My wife and I have choosen to make Dr. Shockey and his staff our primary care team. Having worked in the healthcare field for nearly 15 years I recognize quality patient care. Dr. Shockey and the Brown Road Family Medicine team provide quality patient car

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
Jan 21st, 2008 on yahoo.com

Tried to tell him I was having a lot of pain.Seemed very disinterested.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com