Dr. Gina Walton MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0
  • 20 reviews

April 3rd, 2014
MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE
Looks me straight in the eye when talking to me. This is very important to me because I am extremely hard of hearing. Some voices I cannot understand but I never miss a word with her and that is important to me. She does not talk over my head. Very pleased with how she communicates with me.

January 29th, 2014
Our Miracle Worker
I cannot possibly thank Dr. Walton enough for all she has done for my 85 year old mother. Last summer my mom was diagnosed by very reputable orthopedic surgeons in Memphis with a herniated disc in her lower back. After a course of oral steroids, then epidural injections, mother was advised to have surgery. So, because mother would be staying with me in Nashville after surgery we talked with her PCP and decided to choose a surgeon through the Vanderbilt Spine Center. We had already resolved that surgery was the best course to relieve mother's pain. She had not driven in 3 months. She had become much weaker from limiting her mobility. And her quality of life had significantly declined...she wasn't going to church and hesitated to travel for family events. But then, thankfully, we took her to see Dr. Gina Walton. Dr. Walton listened to my mom, my sister, and me. She educated us about her pain. She offered new options for a more conservative approach. And, I am so very grateful that she listened to my mom and helped mom my understand the risks of surgery and the possibility that conservative therapy might work. She was exactly right. She saw my mom every two weeks to adjust pain meds and muscle relaxants and gave her oral and topical meds that worked. She has slowly encouraged my mom to resume her activities. Now my mom doesn't miss church or family events. She is back to driving herself. And she is not suffering from pain. My mom feels so special when she goes to see Dr. Walton. She feels like her voice is heard and that all she has to do is pick up the phone and speak to Sharon Calarco the office nurse and things will be taken care of efficiently. I don't hesitate to recommend Dr. Walton to my friends. She is bright, caring, and especially great in communicating with the elderly. And my mom is busy playing in the floor with her great grandchildren. What a blessing.

January 24th, 2014
What all physicians should aspire to be--true patient advocate!!
Words are incapable of expressing the gratitude I feel toward Dr. Walton. I can say without hesitation that she prevented me from spiraling down a tragic path. I visited her after being referred by my PCP for cervical/neck pain. I was on scheduled opioids, preparing myself for surgery, and severely depressed over what I felt I was becoming. I did not want to be that overweight 50 yr old woman addicted to pain meds, but I saw no feasible alternative. Luckily, Dr. Walton did see a better option for me. She spent time encouraging me about the power that I had over my circumstance. She took me off of narcotics, referred me for physical therapy, and talked to me changes I needed to make in order to avoid future regret. She told me that I needed to visualize who I wanted to be a year from that moment and make it happen. I could be over 300 lbs, or closer to 200 lbs. I could decide to strengthen my body so that my spine would be better supported, or I could continue to have pain. Honestly, I left her office feeling frustrated, but I knew she was 100% right. The best solution for me was not going to be easy, and I had to do the work. That was roughly a year and an half ago and I am where I am today because of that day. I have lost 85 lbs by eating right and exercising---which I have never done before. I am emotionally, physically, and spiritually stronger than I have ever been. When I pause to think of what my life may have become if Dr. Walton had taken the easy way out for both of us, I am humbled. There is no way I could ever thank her enough, but I will encourage future patients of hers to know that she cares for the entire person. That type of care is not handed out in the form of a pill or a procedure. If patients are willing to fight for themselves, Dr. Walton will be there to help.

December 31st, 2013
excellent physician
Very professional, caring and thorough. Will tell you what you need to know to REALLY address you spine problems. I highly recommend

November 22nd, 2013
Dr.Walton
Dr.Walton is one of the best Doctors that i have ever had. She gives me hope and confidence that i can rise against my injury and every time i walk out of her office from a visit, whether its just a follow-up or from my Injections, I never fail to leave without feeling like a better and stronger me. She talks to me about how I've been doing every time i see her. She's just one of the best Doctors i have ever had the pleasure to meet and if she was to ever not be my doctor anymore, i have to say i would be upset and sad to know that was true, but hopefully that never happens :) pretty much its just plain and simple, Dr. Walton is an amazingly Awesome Doctor, and i hope to be a patient of hers for a long time from now, cause i dont want any other Dr besides Dr. Walton. Thanks! :)

November 21st, 2013
21st Century physician - GINA WALTON MD
Dr. Walton exudes confidence. I was so happy to hear a doctor who did not talk above my understanding. Bottom line my issues are about the aging process. Miracles and blessings are from God and I know she is the vessel that he allowed her to speak the truth. I have so much life to live and was terrified I would hear, you can't do this and that,take this medicine. Her credentials and experience certainly were applied to me. Loved her perspecrive. I did not shop for her a friend suggested Vandy and my appointment reviewed her credentials.commndedFor over 30 years I have been a runner,progressed to walk/run which is better. But now..it is time to learn something different. Dr. Walton made no promises the transforaminal epidural steroid injection would 100% remedy my chronic aches and pains. Instead she recommended to consider a life style change to running. Swimming NHS either cardio benefits are posibble yet will empower me to continue for a better quality of life! I do know NONE of my doctors have recommended exercise options nor noticed the trend of my blood pressure was a concern statistically range 120/186 to 1136/86 to 144/89 my last visit with my general practitioner mad no mention of BP concerning Kudos to Dr. Gina Walton because she is a 21st Century MD. Remember Alvin Toffle who wrote the the book, The world is Flat, wrote,"The illiterate of the 2st century will NOT be those who cannot read or write, but these who are unwilling to learn,relearn, and unlearn. Thank God we are beginning to experience a doctor who's perspective is holistic health.

November 3rd, 2013
A friend in need, is a friend in deed!
I want everyone to know how much that I appreciate all the help that I have received from Dr. Walton. She approached me with a very warm and helpful reception, very thorough with her exams, and treated my pain with what she thought was the best treatment. After seeing that I needed more than just pain treatment, she immediately ordered CAT scans and called in the best surgeon she knew. After 4 back operations, I'm back under her care for pain once again. I'm glad she's there for me. I would recommend her to anyone. Thank you, thank you, Dr. Walton, keep up the good work!

September 8th, 2013
An unsatisfactory experience
My short meeting with Dr. Walton was probably the worst Doctor/Patient experience I have had. She did not appear interested in listening to my symptoms (back pain) and seemed to just want to send me to physical therapy without understanding my history. When I asked if we could discuss my symptoms, she looked at her watch and said she needed to move on. Ok, move on, and so will I!

August 31st, 2013
Worst Doctor Even Experienced
This lady is a disgrace to the calling of a healthcare professional! She obviously care nothing for those she is employed to serve! My husband has battled back pain and has had 3 surgeries. We traveled 3 hours to Vanderbilt Spine Center with a hope that a specialty facility would be able to give him answers and expertise in making his quality of life better. Before we even saw the doctor, we were questioned by 2 separate nurses that asked the very same questions. Then when the doctor came into the room, she again asked the very same questions as if no one was reading or communicating the pertinent patient information. Once she entered the room, she asked my husband why he was there and my husband stated he was "hoping to get fixed". She then began telling him how he should just be thankful to have arms and legs and basically that his life could be worse. He attempted to tell her that he was thankful to have arms and legs however he obviously had some serious issues if he was there to see her. She continued to prod and provoke him for several minutes until I intervened and told her that she had the wrong impression of him and that they had just got off on the wrong foot. This woman did not stop! I found myself trying on several occasions to make this office visit go as smoothly as possible as the mediator. She has to be the rudest, most arrogant, and dispicable woman I have ever met. She would not allow us to finish our statements or questions without interrupting and interjecting her opinions and thoughts; she insulted my husband's MD who was prescribing his medications; she insulted myself, who am an Occupational Therapist and stated to my husband that he needed "a formal Physical Therapy plan", and she insulted my husband on several occasions because he did not agree with her plan to assist him. He has never taken pain meds and only wanted minimal medications and had tried injections in the recent past which he did not feel was beneficial to him. That was her answer, to add medications and continue injections. We could not wait to get out of this facility and knew it was a HUGE mistake from the very beginning! I would discourage anyone from wasting there time in seeing this doctor! She is not a professional and does not know what she is doing! I think that is why she exerts such a bad attitude to cover up for her inadequacy as a doctor! She assumes and jumps to conclusions without allowing you to give her full explanations and then rushes you because as she stated to us, "I have other patients to see. I need to move on!" TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE and I cannot believe Vanderbilt Healthcare would accept such unprofessionalism! Our doctor sent us there and has encouraged us to tell him our experience so he would know how to refer other patients. To say the least, I don't think she will be getting any referrals from his office or from mine as an Occupational Therapist!

August 16th, 2013
Dr. Walton spends time explaining and answering any questions you have. She will stay until all questions are answered and she feels you understand any procedures. I have had my first epidural steroid injection and the relief I have received is incredible. Her staff makes you feel at ease and are great.

July 16th, 2013
Bad Experience...will be finding a new physical rehab dr
Dr. Walton is extremely condescending and doesn't know what she is talking about half the time. I have been to many doctors with my wife over the past two years and never spoke to one as noncaring as her. I dont think her calling was to be a doctor. One thing she is very good at is interrupting you.

June 3rd, 2013
horrendous bedside manner
My husband and I went for an appointment with Dr. Walton to discuss his back and neck pain. She was incredibly rude. While my husband was trying to explain what was happening with him, she was busy looking at and playing with her pen (obviously not paying any attention). It was clear that she had decided everything before she even spoke with him. She tried to tell us a few things about his problem that I absolutely know is not true (I am also a healthcare provider). In addition, she did not want to address the neck pain at all, which was a major reason for the visit. Her bedside manner is truly atrocious. She talked to us as if we were incapable of understanding anything but somehow also managed to not explain anything! Ultimately, we left with medications he didn't want and no answers.