Dr. Ginny Khanna DO Patient Reviews

• Emergency Medicine Alexandria, VA

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

August 4th, 2013
Dangerous mistreatment of potentially fatal condition.
I arrived in an ambulance to Dr. Khanna's E.R., extremely ill & frightened, with symptoms including severe tachycardia, an inability to walk upright due to knife-like abdominal pain, fever & intense sweating. Despite these & other facts, in over 10 hours of time in the E.R., I saw Dr. Khanna twice, for 5-10 minutes each time. She was abrupt, cold, sharp, and interrupted me multiple times in the very little time she did spend with me. She was also, on the whole, uninterested in my complex medical history- and ultimately prescribed antibiotics for acute pancreatitis, which is absolutely NOT the standard of care. Cases of pancreatitis that don't require surgery (like mine)- I have since learned- are most commonly treated with admission to a hospital for at least a small number of days, IV fluids, pain management, often no food by mouth for several days; and over all, close monitoring of the patients' condition. I was told nothing specific or helpful about my condition, and was given the absolute wrong treatment for it- despite (literally) crying in pain & confusion, as being discharged. Dr. Khanna let the much kinder nurses do most of the talking, but did say to "just come back to the E.R.", if still in pain (WHILE I was in pain.) She never once asked if I wanted (or felt I needed to be) admitted, or even brought up the issue, as absolutely should have been customary given my diagnosis & condition. This woman endangered my life, plain & simple, as dramatic as that sounds. She did so with my entire family/main support system in another country at the time- which she knew, and which I stressed to her. I ended up spending the first 3 days after she discharged me, suffering extremely, & trying to track down a pancreatic specialist to actually help me. I was lucky enough to find an entire treatment center specializing in pancreatic care, at Georgetown Hospital- seeing my diagnosis, they booked my appointment the next day. And so: 3 painful, scary days after needing & requesting Dr. Khanna's help, I was given the appropriate care. I was given empathic personal attention, detailed explanation, pain care, & the choice of hospitalization if I still needed it. This treatment was given to me by an expert in pancreatitis, who confirmed all of my fears/doubts about Dr. Khanna. I should have spent those first 3 days resting & healing from a serious condition, with ongoing care, instead of looking desperately for help, while severely ill. Dr. Khanna endangered me by discharging me, even as I told her I was in pain, afraid, and generally did not understand what was going on. It frightens me to think that if I had been someone else, a potentially fatal complication COULD have occurred in the 3 days I was forced to spend seeking other, competent help. If you find yourself faced with Dr. Khanna in the E.R., be extremely wary. Her hideous bedside manner is nothing compared to the potential she has to mistreat & endanger you.