Dr. Gladys Palomeno MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

August 17th, 2015
Great Doctor
I have been going to Dr. Palomeno for 11 years. She is a very caring doctor who really listens to me and how I am feeling when adjusting meds and treatment. This is really important when dealing with thyroid issues where individualized approach is required.

June 19th, 2013
Lack of Experience?
I agree with all of the other reviews from patients who feel they were not given the correct diagnosis or lack of detailed diagnosis. Amazingly the staff is also lacking patient care which is possibly coming from an inexperienced leader?

January 28th, 2013
she is not. she does try to explain things, but she doesn't do it well. she doesn't answer questions at all. it's more like she gives you a quick shpeel on what's going on but in a medical (i.e. non-understandable) manner. I am in the medical field so I know when someone explains things well and when they don't. I didn't tell her I was in the medical field because I wanted to see how well she would explain to me what the diagnosis was. She didn't do a good job explaining anything. She didn't answer any of my follow up questions. Very stone-faced and stone-faced personality. She diagnosed 1 thing correctly (which I didn't know I had) but she completely messed me up by altering my increasing the medication dosage that I had been taking for 10 years by too much. I know this because I went to a subsequent (most competent and gracious and bedside manner-trained endocrinologist ever) endocrinologist who told me that this increase in dosage threw my system off for several months (I saw the second endocrinologist after 5 months of seeing her....I wanted to see a different endocrinologist right after seeing her, but the reason it took me so long was because I had to wait several months to get in to see the second endocrinologist). So, she diagnosed a relatively more complicated condition (PCOS) but she totally messed up for the hypothyroidism (which was well managed for a decade). Also, I learned (from reading on my own) that she was not even managing my PCOS correctly/effectively. She put me on such nominal medication doses that they would not have ever been effective (I learned this from a specialist in the field later...Dr. Mark Goodarzi). Everything I learned about PCOS I learned from reading medical articles that doctors usually read (I have a subscription through my physician brother). So, you can see she didn't explain anything. She also didn't address the other more recent endocrine disturbances I had experienced (Vitamin D Deficiency), which was so severe that in the months leading up to her I was placed on prescription strength Vitamin D to make my body functional again. I would say don't see her. Try to find someone more competent. I found the best in Dr. Mark Goodarzi (at Cedars Sinai hospital system). He is on top of the ball on everything in endocrinology. He went to the best schools (Harvard, UCSF) but doesn't have the air you would expect from a snob. He is remarkable intelligent- he completed a combined program for an M.D. and Ph.D. in the minimal amount of time (7 years). Very few people get into a program like that, much less at Harvard Medical School, and even fewer complete both degrees that fast. He is the head of the Endocrinology Department at Cedars Cinai. He is an associate professor at UCLA. He is incredibly kind, humble, explanatory, patient, and accessible. He is very vigilant about your care and gets back to you asap on follow-up questions after your visit or refills. He is on top of his game because he does research. Therefore, he is only in his endocrinology clinic once a week (which is why you may have to wait to get in to see him initially). No joke- he is VERY competent/knowledgeable and humane.

November 15th, 2012
Staff said they left a message with my mother saying I needed blood work before I could see the doctor. Dr. gave my test results to me in the hall while I was making a new appointment. Still wondering how they got my mother's number (oh and my mother says she didn't talk to them).

August 21st, 2011
Go Elsewhere
I haven't had the best experience with Dr. Palomeno's office (to say the least). I've seen her 3 times, and have vowed never to step foot in her office again. Dr. Palomeno, is just an "ok" doctor (definitely, less than average) . I wouldn't recommend her to ANYONE. She lacks bed side manners and compassion. Her office manager and front desk clerk are the WORST. Their follow through is NON existent and they're EXTREMELY slow and inefficient. This is the 2nd time I've visited a doctor without reading their ratings first...however, after this HORRIBLE experience it will NEVER be a 3RD!! FYI...If I listed my experiences in detail, she would probably go out of business due to a lack of patients, however, its not so much her, its her staff, but then again, she hired them.

April 19th, 2011
Best Endocrinologist I've visited
Yes, the staff is very courteous and wait time is minimal, but what really matters to me in an endocrinologist is a knowledgeable doctor who listens. Dr. Palomeno's approach is centered around what works for me, not simply around acceptable ranges for bloodwork results. It's nice to have a doctor who sees me as a person, not a chart.

February 22nd, 2011
I have always be treated well by the office staff. I have been a patient ofDr Palamino for several years. She hasalways answered my questions. I am notthere for a social event.My health isvery important to me.She is always friendly and professional.I do as sheasks.So far I am staying healthy.

February 9th, 2011
I have no doubt in my mind that Dr.Palomeno knows what she is doing. She isn't the friendliest person I have met but she did know a lot about my condition and helped me out in what I need to do to get better. But even though she's a good doctor, her staff is maybe the worst staff I have ever come in contact with. They're rude and make me feel very uncomfortable when I get in the waiting room. I honestly think she should get rid of her staff and hire friendlier people, if she did I am sure her patience would stop writing such bad reviews.

September 29th, 2010
Ahh, I get it now.
I thought it was just me, but I see many before me have had less than good patient relations. Today I was denied seeing her because her staff said I owed her $25, which I do not. In the past, even though I had asked on several occasions if I had to pay at the time of appointment, the staff said no, she would bill me. It was always my experience. Until today. They wanted me to pay my copay. I told them, I did not even bring a wallet today, when did they change this? Did a letter go out or something? The other 10 x I have been there when I asked to pay they said they would bill me. I always pay my bills on time. And then they said she would not see me today.Jeez, you think you might have a relationship with your caregiver, but it turns out not so much.That is the worst customer service I have ever received. Then her office manager called me to see if I was going to leave the practice. She never tried to make it right, she was ridiculous and confessed that they were having office issues.Is this crazy or what? Meanwhile, I have an out of control thyroid issue and now no doctor. I can't see a doctor who has so little regard for her patients health. And neither should you.

September 29th, 2010
thought this dr was awesome after initial visit.however, by 2nd visit,it was like a different person- no bedside manners/rude/abruptly shut me down mid-conversation and walked to the front of the office only to drop my chart on the desk and in an audible voice tell the nurse my current medical situation in a sarcastic tone. thanks, now the whole waiting room heard that.also, can't express enough how the lack of professionalism is punctuated by the almost abusive treatment- FROM MY DR!..and it wasn't due to my not obeying anything she ordered me to do etc. it was almost like 2 different people from the from the first visit to this one.It was scary to witness and i won't be returning because my life depends on this. re: the front desk staff: they scheduled me for an appt over the phone. when i show up, they don't have the correct date, so what she did was ask for the written appt card, KNOWING SHE booked the appt over the phone.Then she tries to cover it up by saying, "we're going to work you in."

August 23rd, 2010
Office Staff is AWFUL
This Dr.'s office staff appear confused at all times and are dreadfully incompetent. Calling me to confirm an appointment for the next day just 5 minutes after they had made the appointment for me in person is just the beginning. Don't let them even attempt to draw blood for labs unless you like being a pin cousion. Although the doctor seemed nice and appropriate. I have no confidence in her because if she accepts this kind of staff running her office, there must be something wrong with her competence as well. Do yourself a favor....MOVE ON TO ANOTHER DOCTOR AND SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY AND TROUBLE.

March 3rd, 2010
you can't trust her with your life
If you like to have a doctor who is like a robot with no emotions and has zero capacity for empathy, go to Dr. Palomeno. If you want a doctor who actually cares about you and your health, she is not the one for you. She usually holds her appointments from the doorway and is quick to give you her spiel and runs away when asked a question or is challenged. She does not take into consideration the emotional aspects of living with a chronic illness. She and her staff left me without my vital medication for 3 days because "Dr. Palomeno does not refill prescriptions by phone nor returns phone calls from the pharmacy." I could have gone into a diabetic coma! There are a lot of things that "Dr. Palomeno does not do" in her rigid world.If you don't have your medical condition in perfect order, she will not be friendly or encouraging. She will pump fear or try to shame you. She does not do well with patients who question her in the least.Her office staff is uncaring at best and outright rude at times. If you "trouble" them, you're in for a tongue lashing or finger pointing at each other when covering up mistakes. They really don't know what they are doing nor do they understand professional behavior.The diabetes educator is also a sales rep for an insulin pump company. She is very supportive when she wants to sell you something but she does not return phone calls for follow-up concerns or questions.After my experiences with her and her office staff, I'm in the search for a doctor who I can trust with my life, literally.