Family Physicians
St Rita's Family Medicine Shawnee
2745 Fort Amanda Rd
Lima, OH 45805
419-996-5700
Locations and availability (3)

|  Understanding Dr. Aukerman  |  show details
by Dee P. on May 11th, 2013

I went to Dr. Aukerman after several of my physicians gave up on treating my health issues because I wasn't responding to their traditional western medicine of "if it bothers you enough, take a pill." Other co-workers had started seeing him so I thought I'd try, especially for the $1000's in lab tests that no one else considered and frequently redoes the blood tests to follow your progress. His bedside manner is not the best, he is quirky, and truly believes he is the only one helping us. He does have some excellent ideas, thinks outside the box and tries to support his ideas with the results of the initial 20 or so tubes of blood. I caution to carefully consider his advice: EVERYONE I have met that sees him or has seen him (I'm up to 15 people so far and the list is growing) have been diagnosed with the SAME issues. He has even been brazen enough to carefully word his sermons to include his ability to cure some cancers. As I told one memorized soul, yes you feel better because you are now taking 40 vitamins a day and haven't hit the kidney/liver burden (Dr. A would not discuss these levels with me when I inquired as if he did not believe in them). Even though my tests clearly stated no to Celiac Disease, he insisted that I do have it and my HDLs/LDLs would clear up with drinking more water and get rid of every flake of gluetin. Initially he promptly sent me an e-mail with test results and explained that I needed specific vitamins/minerals, yet contradicted himself 2 weeks later and had no recollection of the previous advice. My point: in general many of us do need to eat healthier and he shows you his ideas how - just very carefully consider his prognosis and recommended treatments of stopping your medicines and instead taking the 40 vitamins a day. As I told another patient of his, vitamins are pills too. And 120 days to good health sounds good to any of us suffering but not all illnesses will go away but not every strictly western medicine doctor has the answer either. Lastly he is leaving Ohio State/Wexner Medical Center. Check St.Rita's Hospital in Lima Ohio.

Aug 7th, 2012

Dr. Aukerman is one smart man. He has gotten to the root of my health issues in 1 visit plus labs. I have tried to find out why I have been so increasingly miserable over the past several years, but this is the first time it was pinpointed. God bless this man!

Jan 24th, 2012

Was very dismissive during my first visit. He seemed very caring during my second visit, then ordered $7000 in blood work, then sent me a generic response with the results, that only addressed his pet concerns instead of the labs that were actually abnormal.

Jan 24th, 2012

difficult to work with not truly Integrated and Holisitic

|  Terrible experience  |  show details
Dec 22nd, 2011

I had a nightmare experience with Dr. Aukerman. My regular MD was not available so I was placed with him. When he entered I explained I slipped on my stairs at home and injured my back. I saw a body worker Wed who massaged and realigned me but suggested I make sure I see an MD in case I need xrays. He asked what my body worker said I should have, all while being very dismissive. He never examined me, never directly faced me, and kept saying he would do this or that because my body worker wanted it, which I found demeaning. He was brusque, dismissive, and indifferent, and I will never see him again. I refused to pay for the visit even. He actually made me cry he was so harsh, which was unbearable considering the pain I am in.

|  accessible and caring  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2011

Dr. Aukerman is very accessible to his patients and very caring and knowledgeable.

Sep 17th, 2011

I saw Dr Auckerman when my doctor was out on leave. He looked at me and told me I had multiple deficiencies, several of which I am already supplementing for, and said I needed bloodwork done to confirm his diagnosis. When I tried to ask questions to clarify, he told me to go see one of the other doctors in his practice. He told me my thyroid levels were off, but refused to change my medication or discuss it further, which is cruel when I have been working with my doctor to treat my thyroid condition for months, and have been very sick from it. I have been doing everything I know how to do to get better, and all he did was criticize the other doctors in his practice for prescribing me medication and not helping me correct what's "really keeping me sick." Then he sent me away with a schedule of his nutrition classes. Why would I go see him again when he wouldn't help me in the first place?

|  It's a shame it took me so many years to find him  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2010

After spending 5 years going from doctor to doctor, being diagnosed with various ailments from COPD to LUPUS, I found an excellent ND who found I was gluten & soy intolerent. Removing it from my diet was the beginning of my journey back to health. Several people (including my chiropractor) recommended Dr. Aukerman so I began seeing him one year ago. I began to feel even better and he has truly changed my life. I thought I was just feeling the effects of aging, but found that changing my diet has had a profound impact.He is patient, caring, and available for you practically 24 hours a day! I've never had a doctor care so much and do so much to improve my health!My blood results are a true testiment to my improved health.

|  The Pioneer of Integrative Medicine  |  show details
by Don on Jun 7th, 2010

Dr. Aukerman is a pioneer in Integrative Medicine and at the forefront of medicine!Dr. Aukerman takes the time to teach you the background of what Integrative Medicine is and how it pertains to you personally. How what you eat affects your health. You are what you eat! He teaches a free class for 2 hours every other Wednesday for current and prospective patients so you know that you are an integral part of your health care. For those that do not want to participate intimately in your own health care he can, and will, place you with a traditional doctor in his practice at the OSUMC CIM if you are more comfortable with traditional health care.I for one really appreciate his innovative approach as he has helped me reverse type2 diabetes and clinically I am no longer diabetic. He's improved my other health issues such as high triglycerides and generally improved my blood chemistry as well. He reviews your blood tests each morning prior to your office visit so that in a brief 10 or so minutes you can review with him your personal situation efficiently and answer any questions you have. That way you are quickly allowed the time to understand your test results and how to improve them, and therefore your health, for the next test!He is a true blessing and he shows all those that will invest in their own health care the way to better health for the rest of your life. Thank you Dr. Aukerman for making my health, and my life, much better than any doctor I've ever seen!Don :)

|  Outstanding, efficient and caring!  |  show details
by dla on Apr 19th, 2010

You can't find a better doctor that helps you in your quest for better health. Simple blood tests tell Dr. Aukerman what your body is doing and why- so you can change your health by what you ingest and perhaps add a few supplements to correct what is lacking in your diet. You are what you eat! It makes sense!

|  Outstanding Insight  |  show details
by dla on Mar 7th, 2010

The finest care possible.

|  Rosacea-GONE!  |  show details
by Gluten Free and loving it! on Dec 9th, 2009

Fibromyalgia-GONE!Rosacea-GONE!Lactose Intolerance-Getting Better!Inflammation-Down!HDL Good Cholesterol-UP!I've been searching for answers to the Fibromyalgia and Rosacea problems for years. Spent hundreds of dollars on Rosasea creams that don't work. I always went back to my diet as the problem source. I noticed when I ate certain foods things got worse. But no one could figure out which ones and why. Dr. Aukerman diagnosed me with Gluten intolerance. Once I removed it from my diet, lowered my Omega 6, levels raised my Omega 3 levels, and removed latex saturated fruits (fruits picked unripe and ripened in a warehouse)from my diet I started to feel so much better. 20 years of digestive issues are gone. I highly recommend Dr. Aukerman for any of the above issues.

Jun 9th, 2009

Other doctors treated me with topical creams for rosecea, but Dr. Aukerman diagnosed me with a laytex allergy and addressed the source of the problem. He proved that I have a gluten allergy,not an intolerance to milk products. Omega 3 fish oil has reduced my inflammation.

|  The Big Picture  |  show details
Apr 4th, 2009

I was so relieved to find that Dr. Aukerman is exactly what I expect in a medical professional. His process of information gathering and individual assessment was very complete. After my appointment, I attended a seminar with presentations that support his medical theory regarding disease and nutritional quality balance.

|  very excellent doctor  |  show details
by pauline castrillo on Jun 16th, 2008

Dr Aukerman is a doctor who really listens and explains things to you. He spends time with you and you feel like you are not rushed. He is excellent.He is my husband's doctor and includes the family in the visit.