Orthopaedic Surgeon
23829 Little Mack Ave
Ste 100
Saint Clair Shores, MI 48080
586-773-1300
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Cut-Happy Quack  |  show details
by W.W. on Sep 28th, 2013

He was recommend to my wife for diagnosis of cervical, neck and shoulder pain. He said after analysis of the MRI and x-rays my wife had 2 bulging disks. He did not show my wife the x-rays. He recommended she have spinal fusion surgery soon. He told my wife the procedure would be minimally invasive, "all natural", using no plates, screws, cages, etc. He would not be harvesting any bone. However, he did not explain how he WAS going to perform the surgery. My wife described her visit to me, whereupon I did a fair amount of research on the subject. I could not find any procedure that did not use any hardware for the fusion. This caused me some concern. My wife teaches Tai Chi, and as fortune would have it, one of her students I'll call Mary had spinal fusion by guess who. Mary referred to him as "Dr. Monster". He gave Mary the same spiel as my wife. When Mary awoke in the recovery room she was in severe pain. The good Dr. Monster had never prescribed ANY pain meds. The hospital tried several times to reach him with no success, all the while Mary suffering. Eventually she was given the pain meds. After she was fully conscious she found both of her arms completely numb. Monster never visited her in the hospital or scheduled a follow up visit. She also discovered that a plate had indeed been installed. It took her 3 months to recover the full use of her arms. After hearing all of this, my wife made an appointment to see a neurosurgeon. She requested her MRI and x-rays from the Monster's office. They had the x-rays but could not find the MRI. Upon further investigation it was found that they could not find the MRI because they never received it. It was never requested. It was still at the hospital where it was performed. MINSTER NEVER LOOKED AT IT. Decide for yourself.

Feb 2nd, 2013

Dr. Minster operated on my back.I could not stand up straight for months.The day after surgery i could stand straight up.I would recomend him to anyone.

|  Spinal Fusion Failure  |  show details
by SCS Male on Jan 25th, 2013

I saw Dr. Minster because he had performed a successful microdiscectomy on my wife and I wanted a second opinion. Although I was aware I had a long time disc degeneration in L5/S1, this occurrence was specific to significant left leg pain that I had been experiencing for 1 1/2 years. I had been diagnosed with AVN by a well respected hip surgeon and was recommended to have hip replacement surgery. Due to the invasiveness and old school methods used by the hip surgeon I had seen, it was suggested I see Dr. Minster to confirm the diagnosis and see if maybe my leg pain was spine related. After an MRI Dr. Minster stated indeed that my spinal nerves were being compressed and that was causing my leg pain. He recommended a spinal fusion surgery. Given a 95% chance of success and stating it may take up to a year for my nerves to completely heal but the leg pain would indeed go away. After a year of follow ups and still no relief of the leg pain although I said during every followup of my concern, I was continually told that it will take time for the nerves to heal. After 14 months I went for another follow up and again the same was told. I said i would have thought I would have had some relief, instead it was getting worse. He said "let me take a closer look at the x-ray just taken (done prior to every follow up visit. He returned 5 minutes late and said "You have significant arthritis in your left hip". Now he wanted to have a radiologist do a die infusion and give me a cortisone shot. THIS IS WHY I HAD THE SPINAL FUSION SURGERY in the first place. Now I have a new high deductible that I will have to pay thousands for any procedure , am on SSI and am looking at a hip replacement surgery for a permanent solution as told to me by another highly respected hip surgeon. In the end, I had a spinal fusion surgery that, although would have needed eventually, helped the non debilitating back discomfort I had but am now still left with worse leg pain 3 years from when it began and 1 1/2 years after a spinal surgery that was told an assurance of 95% would relieve the leg pain. I will say that other than what I feel was an incorrect statement as he was aware of my diagnosed hip issues by the previous surgeon, and background and length of time as to the leg pain, he was considerate and the performed spinal surgery was successful, but unfortunately that is not why I agreed to the surgery which I am still trying to pay off.

Aug 30th, 2011

The office staff at the Saint Clair Shores location is very rude and unorganized. No one has a clue what's going on and could care less about the patients. Getting a simple doctors note is impossible. The wait time is extremely long, my last visit was a 9 am and I waited for 2 hours before I even saw the doctor and my shortest wait was around an hour and a half. Dr. Minster performed my first scoliosis surgery last summer. Tne surgery was not successful and I will need to undergo another operation. I was very confident in Dr. Minster's abilities for achieving success in my first scoliosis surgery, but I am currently looking for a new surgeon to tackle my revision surgery

|  Disk Herniation, Cervical Fusion  |  show details
by M. Kaye on Aug 15th, 2011

Dr Minster sat with me and asked me what was going on, what I hoped to gain from my visit with him, and ultimately left the choices up to me regarding my care. I needed surgery, and he was compassionate when I was upset from hearing the news. The surgery was successful, and the follow-up care I'm receiving is phenomenal. I would highly recommend Dr Minster for anyone having neck or back injuries and pain. His professionalism and accuracy of diagnosis and treatment are unmatched. I wish I would've seen him when my problems first began a few years ago!!!

|  Dr. Minster is the BEST  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2011

I went to see Dr. Minster after a year of having test after test. He was excellent from day 1. I had major back surgery and it was the BEST move I EVER made in my life. It is now 5 years later and I feel just as great as I did when he performed the surgery. I tell EVERYONE to see him.

Apr 26th, 2011

Best spine surgeon in Michigan!

|  I am glad my family Doctor sent me to him  |  show details
by Aaron M. King on Jan 19th, 2011

My Surgery was a sucess he worked from L-2 Disk all the way down to S-1 with fusion, I spent a total of 8 days in Saint John Hospitial due to a bowl obstruction other wise I would have been out in 3 days, I can even walk with out the aid of a walker or cane, but just to be on the safe side I keep one close by, even my home health care aids and nurses are surprised at how well I am doing, Thanks again Dr. Minster and the Staff at Saint John Hospitial.

|  wrecked my life  |  show details
May 27th, 2010

Dr. Minster preformed three spine operations on me in less than a 1 1/2 yr period. After my last two, I woke with pain and numbness in a leg that never was there before. Now that burning pain is worse than the back. results from the Dr. putting too much pressure on the spine and back and lack of padding on table. He talks a good talk. made me feel he was doing all the right things. Too bad I didn't find out sooner.My advice, stay away.

Mar 30th, 2009

Was never available when we needed him