Psychiatrists

854 W James Campbell Blvd
Ste 201
Columbia, TN 38401
931-490-0999
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by Yahoo.
 |  Still Awesome After 4-5 Years of Seeing Dr. Yank  |  show details
by SClark on Mar 1st, 2013

The Family Therapy Center is very nice. Almost 40 years old and have been going to psychiatrists for years. I've been around, too, so what I'm saying is I have experiences from different psychiatrists- in the military, Texas, North Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee. Anyway, I've been going there for between 4-5 years. My psychiatrist, I researched before even going. He's the best psychiatrist I've ever encountered, not to mention extremely professional and good-hearted. That doesn't mean he always says what I want to hear because that wouldn't be helpful, right? However, he (Dr. Glenn Yank), is extremely intelligent, Harvard Educated, worked at Vanderbilt, and knows psychiatry and pharmacology like the back of his hand. Put your trust in him if you need a psychiatrist. Anyone that can listen to me for 4-5 years and put up with my severe psychological issues and have my medicine so correct that I am extremely stable is a God send. Thank you to him for giving his life to helping others. I'm a social worker myself and could not handle other people's problems.....he knows what he's doing and has dedicated his life to helping others. You must GET TO KNOW his pattern and understand...which is difficult for some, even me at first. Dr. Yank is very analytical, sometimes it seems he is being cold when he is not. He is very busy and gets very tired and he does dedicate his time to you when you are there, regardless. His demeanor is not "Southern". He is from the North but is still nice, just not "Southernly" which some people may be taken aback by this. His demeanor is also due to his very high level of professionalism. Remember, he is working with people with mental illness. If you smile too much or are too nice, it does mess up the effectiveness of the patient appointment. Doctors are able to diagnose and help their patients by what they observe in their client, not only what the client tells them. If they just went by one variable, it would not be correct. When dealing with personality disorders, among other mental illnesses, small things such as a smile, anything, can be misperceived by the patient as something else. I've been living in Columbia for 7 years and I'm not from Tennessee. The front desk staff is pretty good and the waiting room is nice, plenty of comfort and reading materials. I expected a lot of Southern hospitality when I moved here (I'm from North Carolina). However, there are a lot of professional places I've been in the area that the native people are not very inviting....so, the staff at the front desk is pretty nice to me. A few others on a similar site thought otherwise....Due to changes with insurance companies, doctors and counselors have to book everyone a certain amount of time apart from each other to pay the bills. The costs of being these professionals is unseen to many (that's a whole other story, look into it...). That being said, sometimes patients run over their allotted time and there is an extra wait. I'd rather have to wait a little longer and still be alive than go to an in-and-out place and not be taken good care of....I feel safe here.

|  GREAT PERSON  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2012

HAS ALWAYS BEEN GOOD TO ME FOR 5 OR 6 YEARS NOW HE REALLY CARES THANKS DOC.

Sep 9th, 2011

This brilliant and caring man saved my life many times He understands my suffering from a wretched illness and has the skills to give me the best life possible.This dr this man is everything to me and he always will be.He left his mark. And what is most important is that I know he treats allof his patients with the same care he does me.Nancy

|  Brilliant, Exceptional Expert on Bipolar & Depression  |  show details
Feb 14th, 2011

Dr. Yank spends 45min with you your first visit (unheard of with most Psychiatrics)to determine the proper diagnosis. He also attends seminars regarding new medicines and stays abreast on current information for his practice. He is THE BEST in MIDDLE TN area. His wait times lag,however this is attributed to his dedication he spends with each patient to ensure they are on the correct medication/therapy and they are able to function in society. Best MD I have ever had the pleasure of helping me.

Jul 15th, 2010

Dr. Yank is a brilliant physician. His office staff is up and down in a shared practice environment. He's prompt - unless a very troubled patient or two gets in ahead of you. Unfortunately some people take 15 minutes, some an hour. He has a very dry sense of humor and may put off some patients that want a sympathy session. Try and find a psychiatrist that doesn't seem crazy in some way. I've been a member of the medical profession and haven't met one of those yet, but brilliance ... yes.

|  Bright, but...  |  show details
May 24th, 2010

Dr. Yank was extremely cold and robotic the first 3 times I saw him for depression. I approached him after he had called my name for my appt., and I said, "Hello," and got nothing. It was almost as if he was afraid to shake my hand. I sat in his office for 4 minutes (no exaggeration) in silence while he reviewed my entrance paperwork on the first visit. Very odd. While he did spend close to an hour with me, he often cut me off while I tried to explain my response, and it seemed like he was just looking for a black/white answer. Mental health issues are not black & white. He gave me the name of a great cognitive therapist, but only after I asked for one, stating that I wasn't 100% comfortable managing my 15-year depression with only the same medications I walked in as a new patient already having been prescribed. Just not sure yet...

by Eileen Marie Doran on Jul 11th, 2009

In my opinion, Dr Yank views his profession as a true calling not just a job. I have never had a physician who was as intelligent, caring, and available to help with problems dealing with mental illness and with other issues in my life. He answers e mails promptly and has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping me with unrelated issues without asking for money. This man is an angel

Aug 2nd, 2006 on yahoo.com

Dr Yank: Dr Yank is the smartest, most considerate and highly skilled psychiatrist or even doctor I have ever met. --One of his patients who has improved under his care more than I ever thought I could. : )

Read Full Review at yahoo.com