Dr. Gordon Avery MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

August 12th, 2016
Gave me the brush-off
I went in for hip pain. He took an x-ray, told me I didn't have arthritis or a tear in the labrum. He told me to take tylenol. I tried to explain how I'd fallen on the ice & was concerned about the back as well as the hips & he walked out of the room as I was speaking. I then went to another doctor, got an MRI, & I found that I do have tears in the labrum of both hips, I have osteoarthritis, as well as bursitis & spinal stenosis. The appointment with this man was a waste of my time and money.

April 14th, 2016
I love Dr Avery. Every time I go there, he treats me like a son/friend. He's funny, charming, caring, whitty, yeah, he's the man, you guessed it. The only negative I can think of is that he never calls to ask how I feel after the visit.

July 9th, 2014
WONDERFUL PHYSICIAN~COMPETENT, DELIGHTFUL, CARING
HARD TO SAY ENOUGH WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT MY DOCTOR~ALWAYS A DELIGHTFUL EXPERIENCE AT COMMONWEALTH ORTHO! EVERYONE IS SO HELPFUL AND ANXIOUS TO BE MOST ACCOMMODATING AT EVERY TURN. DR. AVERY IS OUTSTANDING! EXPLAINED MY PROBLEM VERY CLEARLY AND TREATMENT EXPLANATION WAS THE SAME! I HAVE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HIM OVER THE YEARS TO MANY~HIS SON, IS NOW WITH THE PRACTICE AND IS ALSO A REAL ASSET TO COMMONWEALTH ORTHOPAEDICS.

December 23rd, 2013
I have found Dr. Avery to be everything one would want in a dr. Great bedside manner. Cheerful personality. Right on in accurate diagnosi. Would refer others to him anytime.

November 23rd, 2013
Best recovery
I am really happy to have him work on my ankle fracture, I would recommend him to friend

September 20th, 2012
Ups and Downs
My first appointment with Dr. Avery was encouraging. I middle-aged woman who has played competitive sports all of my life. To include semi-pro soccer in my 20's. Recently, I had been training for the Marine Corps Marathon, to get myself back in shape and accomplish some bucket-list items. I consider myself active, although, admit, raising a family and working, has lead to less consistent organized sports activity.This gist of this, is, I consider myself and athlete and hope to continue being active in sports, especially now that my kids are old enough to participate. Dr. Avery looked at my knee that had been giving me trouble for a week. Couldn't put any pressure on it, as, it had popped making a loud noise, and, if I put too much pressure on it again...it would repeat it, so, I was limping. I usually let this type thing work it's way out, but, after over a week of no improvement, I called Dr. Avery.He did an XRay and said, it looked good, but, ordered me to get an MRI. He said I would need surgery, and, he would be able to fix it. He was in good spirits, which, put me in it as well. After I got the MRI...I had the follow-up appointment. This was a VERY different experience. I waited over 30 minutes for him. I was excited to hear him go through the film and tell me what it showed. I was disappointed that when he put it up on the screen, he didn't even look at, let alone, show me what was going on in my knee. He simply read the MRI report, shook his head, told me there was nothing he could do, and, for me to "modify" my exercise routine. Essentially, if it hurts, don't do it. "Take up golf". After my protest that even golf hurt to walk up hills, he offered me a cortison shot, and said, "If I don't hear from you, I will take that as good news". He was completely disinterested in offering anything else. It was so strange. I was in shock. Perhaps there isn't anything I can do...but, I just can't imagine it. He did say I need new knees, but that I am not a candidate. Other than my "younger" age, how can he determine I am not a candidate without really asking me my lifestyle. Two months later, my right knee is now just as bad as my left, because it has been taking the "load" from the lack of my left knee's participation.I am now getting a second opinion, so, Doctor Avery, my response to you is. "No news, is not necessarily good news...it is more like, find someone else to diagnose this issue, with a little more time to spend on my concerns, or, provide, at minimum, solutions or consider knee replacement, so I can enjoy the next 20 years of my life, as a 40 year old should". I can limp and slow down when I'm 60...but, refuse to give up now.

June 5th, 2012
MARIA MURDOCH
HE IS A GREAT DOCTOR AND i NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM, THANK YOU DOCTOR FOR EVERYTHING

January 20th, 2011
Never again
My experience with Dr. Avery was awful. His lack of professionalism and concern for his patients is unbelievable.I went to Dr. Avery for shoulder pain that I had been experiencing for a number of years. I received an x-ray, and sat in the examination room waiting for the doctor for an additional 30 minutes. Once he arrived there was no apology for the long wait and it took him all of two minutes to tell me that I had tendonitis - inflammation and swelling of the tendons. He gave me a cortizone shot and wrote a Rx for meds and a Rx for physical theraphy. Not one thing solved my problem. The physical therapist sent a report stating that my condition was worsening, Dr. Avery never contacted me and when I contacted him he never bothered to return my call, instead his secretary called who could not answer any questions because she is not a doctor. After taking a MRI the problem was discovered and still Dr. Avery did not find it necessary to call me with the diagnosis but instead had his secretary call me, who as I said before, could not answer any questions. Dr. Avery is the worse physician I have ever had contact with. I would not recommend him to anyone.

December 15th, 2010
Dr. Avery, "I don't care."
After reminding Dr. Avery that his office charges $50 for missed appointments, I told him that as far as I was concerned, he had missed our appointment coming in to see us after waiting 50 minutes. He looked at me incredulous that IO would complain and said, "If you want to leave, I don't care." He was NOT mad; he just couldn't get that I would complain. Bottom line is that long waits are the norm at this practice and this "caring" profession does not care. Can't imagine the reader here needs help figuring out Dr./ Avery's bedside manner - not a good listener for starters.

April 3rd, 2017