Dr. Grant Hoekzema MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

March 5th, 2015
Dr, Hoekzema is very easy to talk to & shows that he cares.

April 24th, 2014
Hard to Find A Doctor That Cares Like Grant Hoekzema...
I have been a patient of Dr. Hoekzema's for over 10 years. Within those years he has diagnosed significant health issues that were underterminable of the surface. He went to extra lengths to assure my health complaints were investigated and ordered every test possible until he reached a diagnosis for every issue. The staff of nurses dont turn over like most offices, Norma, and the rest have exemplory follow up and enormous compassion! I was one of Dr.'s last patients on my recent visit and he had to tell me some frightning news regarding a new finding in my blood work. He sat down to discuss the situation with such clarity and confidence in his findings and resultion that I knew God had sent me to him for this reason, he was with me for over an hour and has never rushed one visit in 10 years! I was rushed to the ER and the ER Dr. asked me who my primary was? He was rushing I.V.'s in me and obviously asking the traditional questions. When I said in a weak voice Dr. Grant Hoekzema, he stopped and smiled and said he trained me your in good hands! Again I knew God sent me to this man as once again I felt immediate peace knowing he would be informed of my details and would be right there with me! Thank you to you and your staff!

May 4th, 2011
Patients need to be very proactive with this doctor and read independently
Dr. Hoekzema was my only doctor for over 6 years and completely missed my main medical problem. When I gave him my initial medical history, I reported that ten years earlier a neurologist (seen for a case of optic neuritis) had told me that I was at risk to develop multiple sclerosis. (Because there was no treatment for multiple sclerosis at that time, the neurologist didn't order tests to diagnose--a fact that I also told Dr. Hoekzema.) By the time I began seeing Dr. Hoekzema, there were treatments for multiple sclerosis and better tests for diagnosis. But I didn't want to have multiple sclerosis and did not know the tests/referrals to ask/push Dr. Hoekzema for. Dr. Hoekzema ordered only very basic blood/urine tests and insisted that I was healthy. Eventually he could no longer talk me into denying my problems. The last thing he told me was that the numbness that had spread up one leg across my torso and down the other leg was "not consistent with multiple sclerosis". The neurologist that I found and saw (after a lengthy wait for an appointment and with absolutely no help from Dr. Hoekzema) said such numbness was "completely consistent with multiple sclerosis lesions on the spine". This neurologist diagnosed me with multiple sclerosis and immediately started me on a medication to slow the damage to my brain and spine. Even though multiple sclerosis is rare, I had brought it up to Dr. Hoekzema and he had chosen not to order an MRI or to refer me to a more appropriately trained doctor (neurologist). Dr. Hoekzema's patients need to read the internet and verify that his training is adequate to recognize and treat their medical conditions. His training failed me.

February 14th, 2011
great doctor
Dr Hoekzema is calm and not in a hurry. He's very funny. He's thorough. I have complete trust in his care.