Dr. Grant Hughes Is this you?

5 Ratings • 1 Comment

3.6

Have you seen Dr. Grant Hughes?

It's all in your head

Posted on September 3rd, 2015

I made an appointment with Dr. Hughes because I have a strong family history, including first degree relatives, with autoimmune issues. I waited an hour and a half to see Dr. Grant and he didn't interact with me at all. Instead, I saw the resident, who was attentive and empathetic as she took my history. I picked up on an air of condescension - sad, because I went into the appointment excited to meet him - and disbelief when Dr. Grant entered the room. I'll admit to experiencing a strange constellation of symptoms, but when you can't feel your legs or parts of your face, and autoimmune issues run in the family, it's not outrageous that I would seek out a rheumatologist. The appointment ended with the resident summarizing my symptoms and next steps. At the end of the appointment some blood tests were ordered. She also made uncomfortable eye contact with Dr. Grant and said, "and maybe you should talk with your doctor about a mental health referral." She must have read my expression, because she softened her comment by saying, "ahem - you know, because of the mind-body connection." I didn't say anything, but my reaction was: wow, you are literally calling me crazy. Thanks for wasting two hours of my time, only to insult me and tell me I'm imagining my symptoms. Finally, as the appointment came to a close, he speaks: "I'll email you if there's any need for you to come back in." Thanks, but no thanks!

Posted on October 11th, 2017