Dr. Gregory Riebel MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Salem, VA

May 16th, 2017
I would NOT recommend this doctor
I had to have fusion surgery, and it was a long time coming. I put it off as long as I could. He had successfully did the kyphoplasty surgery on my mother twice and this is why I chose him. In 9/15 ,I explained that I was out of work and on cobra ins. and if he thought I would need surgery I wanted it done before the end of the year. He said no problem. 11/15 after injections and PT, he said to go ahead with the surgery...they would call me I called them 12/16 to see when the surgery was scheduled. They told me that I had to get another test done before then ( I was never told about this test and 2 weeks had passed) So I said well set it up...lets get it going. It was set up for 12/5/15. I was then told surgery would not be until mid January (after he assured me it could be done before the end of year. By this time, I was falling all the time. The pain was incredible. He made me feel like it was no big deal. Go to ER or to pain mgnt. He wasnt writing a prescription for me. January 5th I called to get a surgery date. They told me no I had to see someone else before then. Again, he never said anything about having to see this person , that my surgery would be mid January. I was informed by his scheduler that no way would this surgery take place until February or March. It finally took place mid February. I did all kinds of research while waiting for this surgery. My research said to listen to what the docs told me, use my walker and always wear brace except in shower and in bed. I would be in the hospital for 4 nights. If I had not demanded a walker to help me walk, my surgery would have been considered an outpatient surgery. The discogram showed 3 discs that needed to be removed and fused--he did 2. No walker. No brace. Was sent home with very little pain meds the day after surgery. We could not get the pain under control at home. Ended up in ER many times. He said go to pain mgnt. Never saw him after surgery until I got an infection in the surgical site. I asked abt PT, going back to work etc. He said we would talk about that at my next appt. which was 6 months later. When I tried to get SSI until I got a job, he told them he has no problem with me going back to work...but had told me no I could not. When I did go to my 6 month appt, I told him I had a lot of pain and numbness/coldness in my foot. He tried to say it was because I had diabetes (I do not) or a thyroid condition (which is under control) then he said that some people just have one foot colder than the other. Wasn't from this. I asked about STARTING PT. He said yea you can do that. Wrote a prescription for it and walked out. I stepped out of the room and said wait do I come back or what? with his back to me, he threw his hand up and said "Released" I would not suggest anyone go to him. I will complete my PT I had to ask for, and if not better, I will go get a 2nd opinion. I have never experienced a doctor that was that impersonal and seemed to be non caring. When I asked about the normal return visit in a year. he threw his hands up and yelled DISMISSED

September 19th, 2016
Great surgeon.
He worked me into his already busy schedule less than 48 hours after I went to see him. Outstanding doctor.

July 9th, 2015
spouse of patient
It takes a long time (2 weeks) or more to get an appointment. The follow up appointment after a cat scan was scheduled 6 working days later. This is a LONG time when patient is in severe pain. (A total of 8 days...and nights with very little sleep.) We don't like to complain, but getting an average of 3-4 hours of sleep a night (while we wait for an appointment) seems ludicrous.

August 13th, 2013
Uncaring PA
I agree with the previous review saying that the PA was unsympathetic. She didn't seem to be very concerned about my injury or the pain that I was in. When she rewrapped my injury, it was done in a way that left too much room for the injured digit to move around, causing a great deal of pain. Her over-the-phone advice was to use a second ace bandage which didn't fix the overall problem. I have a follow-up appointment with her in a few weeks which means I will never actually see a doctor. That doesn't sit right with me. I'll be getting a second opinion.

July 27th, 2012
back surgery
Very disappointed in him and his PA. Did not get full disclosure on aftermath of pain from surgery. His PA was not sympathetic.

September 5th, 2011
Back surgery
I had a degenerative herneated disc, lumbar region L4 to L5. I went to him for a 2nd opinion and immediately he told me where my problem was and that he could do surgery. I was fortunate to find a great doctor and surgeon as Dr. Riebel. I'm recovery wonderfully and will be back to work soon. I'm so glad that I found this doctor online and that he has been a tremendous help in my recovery. I would recommend him to everyone that is in need of an outstanding orthopeadic doctor as Dr. Riebel has been to me.

June 4th, 2008
I've been a paitent of Dr. Riebel for 6 years and he's always been great with helping me manage my pain and taking care of my back . When he did surgery on my back, he even came to my home to remove my sutures I've delt with some of the best doctors in the country, and when i lived in NYC i delt with the best and in my opion dr riebel outshines them by a mile and more . . he's very carring and always returns a call.