Dr. Gregory Weinstein, FACS
Professor and Vice Chair, Director, Division of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Pennsylvania
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Top in the world show details Top in the world
by Russ A. on Jul 27th, 2016

The excellent ENT specialist at my community hospital, Abington Hospital, referred me to Dr. Weinstein immediately after he removed my lymph node and diagnosed me with a head/neck P-16-positive squamous cell carcinoma, likely located in my tonsil. I am so thankful for this referral to UPenn! Dr. Weinstein is the best in the world at what he does –– one of the few and most experienced who can offer a surgery-only solution to early tonsil cancer. Though the two robotic surgeries that I underwent with him and his team were not easy to go through, he saved me from having to have radiation therapy to the throat (which can sometimes permanently damage nerves related to speech and swallowing) or possible chemotherapy. More than two years later, I am feeling great and better than ever, am cancer free, and am enjoying only benefits and virtually no residual effects. Dr. Weinstein is a cool and super-sharp dude but a very busy man. He is a rock star in his field, so don’t go to him expecting him to spend a ton of time at your bedside. His able team of fellows takes care of that. Don’t expect him to always be running on time for your follow-up appointments. He may be spending an hour or more with someone just in front of you on the schedule who is newly diagnosed with cancer, just like he did with you when you first came to him and received his reassuring care. Be thankful when he always comes in the door with a group of post-graduate physician fellows from around the world wanting to learn his approach, and then explains your case to them. It’s proof that you’ve found care at the very top. His nurses, nurse practitioners, and O.R. team are excellent. True pro’s. Be glad and know that he and his staff are always ready to answer your questions and guide you to your best chance of cure.

EXCEPTIONAL & COMPASSIONATE show details EXCEPTIONAL & COMPASSIONATE
by John McGrath on Apr 19th, 2016

What an exceptional Dr. I put my life in his hands and he came thru with flying colors curing my cancer. Not only did he do a spectacular job, but he showed me how compassionate he is for his patients. After I left the hospital, I developed a perforated bowel (which had nothing to do with my throat cancer) and was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, when I woke up in ICU , the first person I saw was Dr. Weinstein, wanting to see how I was & to reassure me that I was ok, he then went to visit my family in the waiting area. He had nothing to do with my bowel surgery but heard about it, what Dr does that, visits a patient to see if their alright. He is the best of the best. His staff is also great, I have never called and not gotten an answer to my question, they are always happy to help. Would I recommend Dr. Weinstein and his staff to any of my family or friends YOU BET!

Cancer Surgeon, why mine is the best. show details Cancer Surgeon, why mine is the best.
by Samuel H. Wiggins on Mar 9th, 2016

When I found I had cancer, I wanted the best in the business to work on me. After researching the net and talking to others in the Medical profession, Dr. Weinstein's name came up all the time. It turned out they were right. If I had to go through it again, Dr. Weinstein is my Doc. Very personable, great bedside manner, he spoke with me like one of the guys. Explained everything in laymen's terms every step of the way. Cancer is a scary thing, Dr. Weinstein made it much, much, easier.

by Ed H. on Mar 5th, 2016

Eleven years ago I was very fortunate to be sent to Dr. Weinstein at the U of Penn. I can not say enough good things about him and his staff. My local ENT made the appointment for me and we were able to see Dr. Weinstein and Jean off and on for roughly 3 hours during our first visit. Jean met us first and Dr. Weinstein came in a short time after to discuss what all the tests and scans meant. During the 3 hours we were there, Dr. Weinstein and Jean would answer our questions on hand and leave us to take in the information. They would then return after seeing a few other patients and ask if we had any more questions, which we did. I found my cancer by accident feeling a tiny bump under my jaw, and had a gut feeling about it. It was suggested to me by friends to get a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion. After speaking with Dr. Weinstein and Jean, my gut feeling told me that I need not look any further. Being an old Marine, I wanted to know what lie ahead; I think in the positive mode as much as possible, Dr. Weinstein expressed the same positive attitude. I knew I wanted the cancer out of me, so I went with surgery to make sure he got it all. I continue to see Dr. Weinstein yearly even after he gave me the all clear at the five year mark. I asked if he would mind if I came back so he could keep an eye on me. His reply was “Your time is my time so come back until you feel comfortable”. I will continue to see him. In the Marines we had a saying that there will be about 10% that complain about anything and everything, often I would hear people complain because one Doctor or another would be running a little late. It never bothered me if Dr. Weinstein was running over a little because I figured he and Jean were helping another new patient get their questions answered like they did for me and my wife. Dedicated, professional, and caring are words I would use for Dr. Weinstein and his staff.

Feb 4th, 2016

Dr. Weinstein is the reason we will celebrate the 11th anniversary of the surgery that saved my Son's life in May. Dr. Weinstein is a caring professional who is always available for his patients. My family owes him a debt of gratitude which we will never be able to repay.

by Charles F. Loesche, Sr. on Feb 1st, 2016

Having Dr. Weinstein perform my surgery, was the best thing that I ever did for myself. I truly thank God , for having chose him. From day one forward, Dr. Weinstein and his staff, were stellar. I would recommend him in a heartbeat!

by Jeff Strause on Jan 31st, 2016

I saw Dr. Weinstein in Decenber of 2009, at the appointment that we set the date for my surgery he stayed in the room until all my and my family's questions were answered which was probably a lot more time than he had slotted for me. He was up front with me on what to expect with my full neck dissection to remove the cancer at the base of my tongue. I live 80 miles away from HUP and recently returned for prostate cancer this time. I feel relaxed and at home whenever I visit Dr. Weinstein, HUP, and now Dr. Kolker. For what these people face day in and day out everyone is friendly and accommodating. I've sent a family member and a friend to HUP for cancer treatments and I would not consider any other place.

Dr. Weinstein is a great surgeon! show details Dr. Weinstein is a great surgeon!
by Donna Benz on Jan 6th, 2016

When I realized that there was something wrong with my throat, I went to Penn for a second opinion. There I was quickly seen by Dr. Weinstein who diagnosed my problem as a base of tongue cancer. He did a left neck dissection, followed a few days later by transoral robotic surgery to remove the cancer. No one who sees me would ever suspect that I had these two major surgeries. Dr. Weinstein is an outstanding surgeon who keeps up with everything new in his field. I still see him periodically to evaluate my Petscans. I was so lucky to have him do my surgery and am fortunate that he still monitors my well being.

by Jo Ann S on Dec 28th, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr Gregory Weinstein. My son was diagnosed with cancer of the neck and throat at a very young age. Our family doctor told us that he had heard a lot of wonderful things about Dr Weinstein. I could go on and on about this man, but I'll keep it short. Anytime I called with questions or concerns, his staff was very patient with me. Answering what they could and having one of his team members talk to me if they couldn't. Everyone was sympathetic and caring. That said, the most sympathetic and caring person was Dr Weinstein himself. He treated my son like he was his only patient. To me as a mom, that meant the world to me. The one thing I will always remember Dr Weinstein saying immediately after surgery, with our whole family in the room was that he got it all, and he treated our son like he was his own. We owe Dr Weinstein more than you could ever imagine. We our truly indebted to this wonderful doctor who saved our sons life. Theres no question that he's the best there is!

Thanks from a greatful patient show details Thanks from a greatful patient
by Robert O. Roberts on Dec 8th, 2015

Over the past 3 years I have had the most positive treatment and relationship with Dr. Weinstein. He and his entire staff helped me cope with my medical issue, provided excellent treatment and kept me informed every step of the way before, during and after the 3 out patient procedures needed to correct a serious throat condition.

by Mildred Edmond on Dec 1st, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Weinstein's for 19 years. He took excellent care of me during and after my cancer operation 19 years ago. I have seen him once a year since then for normal check ups. I would and have recommended him to several people.

Reveiw of Dr. Weinstein and Staff show details Reveiw of Dr. Weinstein and Staff
by Lee Stranburg on Nov 30th, 2015

10 years ago I was diagnosed by Dr. Greg Weinstein as having cancer of the tongue. He told me that he and Dr. Bert O'Malley had developed a robotic procedure (TORS) at the Hospital of the University Of Pennsylvania (today, TORS is used around the world) and that I would qualify for the program. With lots of prayers, the technical skill of a great surgeon, Dr. Greg Weinstein and the care of his staff I was put on the road to recovery. I cannot say enough about the professionalism and caring attitude of Dr. Weinstein and his team. They spend the necessary time with a patient to insure that a person understands the risks and rewards associated with the procedures and type of cancer being dealt with and then meet with many specialists such as Radiologists, Chemotherapists and others to develop a program specifically designed for the patient and their cancer issues. Five Stars go out to Dr. Weinstein and his team at Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery Department at HUP and a great big Thank You to all.

Nov 18th, 2015

A kind and confident Dr. Found three cancers in my head and neck, treated and removed all of them. My family and I can not say enough about Dr. Weinstein and his staff. The Best

Dr. Weinstein - The good, the bad and the honest. show details Dr. Weinstein - The good, the bad and the honest.
by Chuck on Nov 15th, 2015

Dr Weinstein saved my life. When i first learned i had cancer, I was in shock. The first hospital told me surgery was not an option. Dr Weinstein's first words to me at our initial visit, after reviewing all my scans and a thorough exam were "This is cureable with a good prognosis for a high quality of life. You won't like the rest of what I am going to say, but that I can tell you." He was right on both counts. The ordeal of treatment was tough, very tough, but the results are great. Not only am I now NED, but am better shape now than I have been in over 30 years. Through the treatments, the Dr and his entire team really understood what a cancer patient is going through. They all were super. The only reason I checked four stars for promptness was to be honest. Sometimes the Dr runs behind on his appointments, but I have been on both sides of that equation, meaning I was the person he "dropped everything" for to address my condition and I have waited longer than usual for treatment. Knowing the first instance makes it easy to understand and accept the second. Overall, we (my wife and I) always found Dr. Weinstein (and his team) to be professional, caring, honest, straightforward and supportive. I am very grateful and thankful for him. As I said, he saved my life.

A Grareful Patient show details A Grareful Patient
by John Negron on Nov 13th, 2015

Just prior my 50th birthday, I received the news that I had tonsil cancer. After researching options, I was fortunate to obtain an appointment with Dr. Weinstein at Penn Medicine. When I first met Dr. Weinstein, I was immediately impressed with his compassion, and his concern that after the procedure, that I would return to living with minimal effects on the quality of my life. It is now seven years since Dr. Weinstein performed robotic surgery to remove the tonsil cancer, and my quality of life is still outstanding. I had a complete voice recovery a short time after the procedure and my snoring issues disappeared as a bonus. During my follow up visits, I witnessed doctors from all over the world coming to learn about the Surgery (TORS) procedure from Dr. Weinstein. TORS was invented at Penn Medicine by Dr. Gregory Weinstein and Dr. Bert O’Malley. Dr. Weinstein’s excitement about making patients whole again with the least amount of suffering made an impression on me. That is definitely a person who cares deeply about his patients. Winning the fight against cancer takes a team. I am forever thankful that Dr. Weinstein was leading the team, along with the group of very special nurses at Penn Medicine.

A Man Who Cares About Human Life show details A Man Who Cares About Human Life
by Leo Merrigan on Nov 11th, 2015

In a few short week's we will celebrate the feast of Thanksgiving. This year i will dedicate that day to say thanks to Dr. Gregory Weinstein at the U of P. My story began years ago when I abused my body and thought that nothing will ever happen to me. Well you guessed it nine short years ago i contacted that dreaded disease called cancer. After a series of treatments at a local hospital they recommended that i contact Dr. Greg at the U. of P. After the initial consultation with Dr. Greg i thought this man is all business. He was truthful and upfront with me from the very first day i met him. You see Dr. Weinstein didn't need me i needed him. I decided i wanted him because he said that he could help me and that's what i wanted to hear. Being a surgeon takes a special person and Dr. Greg and in my mind finishes at the top of the class in both as a doctor and a person. Dr. Weinstein is also fortunate to be surrounded by a first class medical staff. They include Jeanie who i think is the doctors right arm. And then by his two speech pathologist Loren and Trish who are without a doubt the best you could ever ask for. Thank you to my three girls. But getting back to Dr. Greg i highly recommend to those who are in need of medical care of this kind you don't want none other than this terrific surgeon. I want to thank you for allowing me to watch my grandchildren grow up. So as we sit down for Thanksgiving dinner this year my family and I will thank Dr. Weinstein and his wonderful staff. P.S. Doctor Greg you are the best. thanks for being a friend and a great doctor.

Sep 29th, 2015

Amazing doctor!

by Mike Mills on May 23rd, 2015

I wish to share my thoughts with anyone who is contemplating being treated by Dr. Weinstein. Without going into great detail, you cannot in my opinion find a more compassionate surgeon with impeccable skills than the good doctor. His staff members are among the best I have ever meet; they are all a reflection of the Doctor's demeanor. By all means, do your research, and when you make your decision, you will not go wrong if you choose Dr. Weinstein. Good Luck to you in your treatment.

Highly Recommended show details Highly Recommended
by Richard Carrera on May 13th, 2015

Doctor Weinstein's excellent skill and innovative technique saved my voice. Absolutely professional and top-notch care.

Mar 23rd, 2015

Great and amazing doctor!

by Paul Savastano on Feb 11th, 2015

Gratitude and High praise for my Quality of Life. Nowhere Id rather be in world for treatment.

Living healthy after 6 years...!!! Thanks Doc!!! show details Living healthy after 6 years...!!! Thanks Doc!!!
by David A. Stock on Feb 9th, 2015

Dr Weinstein & team at PENN were fantastic from surgery through full recovery!! Incredible experience!!!

Better than excellent! show details Better than excellent!
by Linda E. Leighbody on Feb 9th, 2015

Dr. Weinstein, a warm, caring, experienced doctor, focuses on you exclusively healing the cancer.

Mar 15th, 2012

Dr. Weinstein is the best! I was treated by him for tonsillar cancer and will be forever grateful for his expertise and care. He was kind and always willing to take the time to explain everything to me.

Parotid surgery show details Parotid surgery
Feb 12th, 2012

I find Dr Weinstein very accurate andinformative with my problem. Very caring and set me at ease on the very first appointment. I felt very confident with him. I would recommend him and his staff is wonderful.

Early on in my care but very confident show details Early on in my care but very confident
Jan 19th, 2012

Yesterday was my first meeting with Doctor Weinstein. Both my wife and I were so impressed with his professional and CARING manner. His attention to detail and explaination of the whole proces(surgery/surgeries/radaition/chemo)was complete and thorough. When I got my initial DX (throat/neck cancer) I asked my referring Doctor "If you were sitting in the chair instead of me who would you want to see"?Without hesitation he said Dr. Weinstein!

Jan 15th, 2012

Extremely skilled surgeon. I would trust him without concern. But is a bit arrogant about his own importance and loses interest in patients a year or so after surgical work is completed. Acts as though follow-up checks are an impostion on his time.

what bedside manner show details what bedside manner
Mar 11th, 2011

Rude and arrogant. No patient skills.

Mixed Benign Salivary Gland Tumor Removed On 12/10/2010 show details Mixed Benign Salivary Gland Tumor Removed On 12/10/2010
Jan 25th, 2011

Dr. Weinstein did a wonderful job removing my tumor. He is an excellent surgeon, an expert I would recommend to anyone. My recovery was easier and shorter than I anticipated. All the staff at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania were outstanding. Dr. Lori, who did my needle Ct scan biopsy was one of the nicest, most informative and reassuring doctors I've ever met. I can't say enough about HUP-they are simply the best!

Apr 23rd, 2010

Great Doctor

took care of me show details took care of me
Apr 18th, 2010

I found Dr Weinstein to be professional and his personal touch, with me and family, was outstanding. He spent time at first visit and the follow-up.

Referring Physian show details Referring Physian
Jan 28th, 2010

I have been sending patients to Dr. Weinstein since 1991, he is an outstanding clinician. My patients have consistently told me that he has superb bedside manner and that he is a wonderful human being. His cancer results are outstanding. Thank goodness we have Dr. Weinstein to refer patients to.

Primary Care Physician MD show details Primary Care Physician MD
by Primary Care Doctor on Nov 6th, 2008

My patients have consistently told me about Dr. Weinstein's poor bedside manner. He is uncaring and extremely disrespectful toward his patients, some who are in the process of dealing with life threatening cancers. He is a man who wants respect, but will give it to no one else he sees "beneath" him. I will no longer refer my patients to him and will tell my numerous fellow colleagues to do the same. As a physician, I find it a shame when a physician acts the way Dr. Weinstein does for whatever reason. Patients do need doctor, but they also need someone they can trust.