Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN), Oncology Specialist (cancer)

2.5

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com. DrScore.
Patient of Dr. Cantuaria show details Patient of Dr. Cantuaria
by A. McDaniel on Oct 21st, 2014

Dr. Guilherme Cantuaria was amazing, caring and very compassionate. He did an outstanding job on my surgery and was very knowledgeable. He made me feel comfortable, confident and had great beside manners. My life has changed in so many ways as a result of the surgery, his recommendations and expertise. Dr. Cantuaria is very passionate about his work and I'm very pleased with the scar. You can barely tell that I was cut. When I first saw Dr. Cantuaria for the first time after surgery, I gave him the biggest hug and thanked him for doing an incredible job and assuring me that I was in good hands. He was absolutely right and I'm extremely thankful that Dr. Cantuaria did my surgery. I would highly recommend him to my family and friends without hesitation and would use his services again.

So glad I did not take the advice of "Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde" opinion! show details So glad I did not take the advice of "Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde" opinion!
May 28th, 2014

I am so glad I did not let the opinion of one person override the referral of my gynecologist. I listened to her recommendations and she referred me to the best! Not only Dr. Cantuaria, but the entire practice, was amazing. I strongly recommend you see this physician and decide for yourself.

Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde show details Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde
Jan 30th, 2014

I guess it's a coin flip with him. Your health is precious and I found him to pressure surgery and, quite frankly, be very rude. I got a copy of my medical records a few months after I saw him, and my instincts were confirmed. I was shocked and sick by the - the only word I can use is - lies.

Not sure why the bad reviews... show details Not sure why the bad reviews...
Jul 24th, 2013

After reading the reviews online, I was a little uneasy about being sent to him for surgery. All I can say is, those people must have met with a different doctor. I was very happy with my experience with Dr. Cantuaria. He was very knowledgeable, and I appreciated that he gave me the facts as he saw them. In my pre-op appointment, he explained the procedure, told me what he expected, and made sure I understood the worst case scenario. He was very personable and made me feel completely at ease. My only complaint was that he did a lot of travelling and the schedulers were not always careful to check that he would be in town. I would recommend him to anyone who wants a straightforward doctor and an excellent surgeon.

WONDERFUL show details WONDERFUL
by Melissa Smathers on Apr 17th, 2013

Dr. Cantuaria and his whole staff were extremely helpful and pleasant in every way !!! His concern for my health was top notch. He was also very supportive when we thought that cancer was a large possibility. Thank goodness all turned out well. I will miss everyone from his office.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde show details Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Nov 19th, 2012

To speak truthfully about my experience, the worst imaginable. One patient said he was proactive for the patient - I could NOT be happier for her. He was procactive for me too.... told me surgery was my only option and used pressure, omission of fact after fact, told absolute untruth about options for tx (said surgery was only option) and refused to treat my pain to remove a perfectly normal uterus and cervix. Oops. I had lower right groin pain NOT uterus pain. Duh. I guess he tells himself he's being proactive against gyn cancer. Proactive in promoting and enriching himself but dangerous and cruel to patients. Really rude and arrogant. I realize that sounds a bit dramatic but those aren't even my words. Not the best reputation in the city he left to go to Atlanta.

Arrogant, short tempered, why so many tests? show details Arrogant, short tempered, why so many tests?
by Anonymous on Sep 20th, 2012 on doctorsdig.com

I didnt understand what he was saying and when I asked questions he became angry. He ordered a lot of scans and ultrasounds done in his office. He g ...

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
Trust YOUR gut not the number of degrees show details Trust YOUR gut not the number of degrees
Jun 22nd, 2012

Dr. Cantuaria was very angry, defensive, and just plain wrong. I left his treatment feeling duped. A little research shows he started med school as a teenager - about 17 and finished at age 23. Brazil did not and may still not require a 4 year undergrad degree but I have no doubt they produce wonderful, caring physicians). After med school, Dr. Cantuaria did a 4 year residency at the U. of Miami followed by a 3 year oncology fellowship also at Miami. And, incredibly, during the SAME three years of completing a grueling fellowship in Miami - he also completed a Ph.D. from a university in Brazil. AMAZING literally at the same time! And if I understand his bio correctly, http://ugynonc.com/about/, he was also voted Most Outstanding Teacher in 1997 and 1999 ALSO during that time period - and before he was 30 years old. For comparison sake, another medical professional with the same degrees MD/PhD their road to achieving these noble achievements was strikingly more demanding. This MD/ PhD graduated high school, obtained a 4 year BS degree in 1978 (Dr. Cantuaria would have been 9 years old in 78); obtained Ph.D. in 1982 (4 year degree); Medical School in 1986 (4 year degree); completed his residency in 1990 (4 year requirement); and completed his fellowship in 1993, a 3 year requirement(a year earlier in 1992,Dr. Cantuaria graduated medical school at age 23). To obtain his prestigious medical degree and doctorate degree, this other professional had to complete 19 years of education/training compared to Cantuaria MD/Ph.D who completed about 13 years. Trust your gut and don't be fooled by degrees. If the doctor does not treat you well and you doubt his/her expertise, LEAVE. You are protecting the sanctity of your body and your soul. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Sad that I called him Doctor show details Sad that I called him Doctor
by Anonymous on Oct 20th, 2011 on doctorsdig.com

Recommended hysterectomy for a one inch fibroid when I had chronic lower right groin pain. Even if I had uterine pain, which I never did, why would h ...

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
Jun 7th, 2011

Overall very negative experience with this doctor - recommended surgery I did not need.