Anesthesiologist (pain control), Pain Management Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

• Currently 2.2045454545455 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  I highly recommend Dr. Hansen  |  show details
Dec 12th, 2014

I have been receiving treatment from Dr. Hansen for approximately 14 years for fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease and migraines. I have had two doctors who I felt really cared about the patient, and Dr. Hansen is one of them. He does whatever he can, within the guidelines of my insurance company, to relieve my pain. I also see his PA, Penny Mitchell, who has always been very gracious and concerned for my condition. The receptionist is always very pleasant. I have never seen anyone dressed "goth," as one reviewer said. I have never had anyone be rude or even abrupt with me. These are very concerned, professional people who give the best care I have received. My pain is managed as well as possible. If any of the negative comments have happened, I have never seen them in my 14 years as a patient there. I would recommend them to anyone experiencing chronic pain.

|  Will "NOT" ever go back!!!  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2014

I entered the office as a new patient. I was greeted by Ms. Doom and Gloom. The receptionist was dressed all in BLACK. Black uniform, black fingernails, black jewelry, and black shoe polish black hair. Her attitude matched her Gothic style. It is okay if you want to dress in this fashion, BUT there is a time and a place and this was NOT it!! My appointment was with Dr. Hans Hansen. Being a brand new patient, I did not know anyone. The exam room door opened and a man walked in. The very first words out of his mouth were, "We need to change your pain meds!!" ME: "Why? Why change something if it is working?" Dr. "Because you are taking too much!" Out the door he goes and comes back with a new prescription. What do I do but take it? As he is leaving, without ever questioning me or touching me, I asked, "Are you Dr. Hansen?" Dr. "No, I am his partner." He gave me a prescription for a patch. I had never heard of it. I followed the instructions to the letter By 11:00 that night, I was hysterical. I was crying, hallucinating, literally going out of my mind. I went back and told this doctor what had happened. He shrugged his shoulders and gave me another new prescription. I took it to the pharmacy. The cost was $125.00. I could not afford this, so back I go to his office. Ms. Gothic, with her nasty attitude said, "We have to have the hard script.That is our rules." I told her which pharmacy it was at and said she could call and ask the pharmacist to destroy it. Gave her the name of the pharmacy and the pharmacist. She said, "How do I know you don't have that prescription in your pocketbook and are just out pharmacy shopping?" How dare she? I am 61 years old. That office made me feel like a drug seeker, someone who had just come in off the street. I have never in my life been treated so rudely. As my title says, I will NOT ever set foot in that office again. This doctor's name was Dr. Jeffery Adams and he had the personality of a turnip. Never again!!!

|  Pain Control  |  show details
Jun 10th, 2014

Very, busy physician although still has time to spend with you. I would recommend him to anyone. He has helped me.His's nurses are great, and office staff is very courtious, and helpful.

|  Sadist  |  show details
May 30th, 2014

I was given no choice in going to "Dr" Hansen's pain clinic because I am a workers comp client. I have severe pain that ranges from 6 to 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Since the beginning of my visits at his clinic his only goal has been to get me off all medications. I'm sure the case manager and the insurance company had knowledge of what his ethics were prior to sending me to this sadist. From my personal experience he treats his patients like junkies and strips them of any personal dignity they have. Before my injury, I had an excellent career and an outstanding work record. At one point I was being seen by doctors that had me on the road back to a normal active life, but all that changed when I was made to go to this pain clinic. My quality of life and general health and well being have decreased dramatically. Anyone reading this take warning, if you have any choice in you doctors do not go to Dr. Hansen's clinics. He does not care about his patients and is in business to make money and is there to serve the insurance companies, not the patient. He is one of the most unethical and unprofessional "doctors" I have ever dealt with.

|  Know thy doctor  |  show details
by Very Concerned on Feb 12th, 2014

Charlotte Observer 2/12/14: CHARLOTTE — A Charlotte-area doctor accused of chronic sexual harassment by three of his former employees has settled a federal lawsuit against him days before the trial was to start. Dr. Hans Hansen, who operates Pain Relief Center clinics in Charlotte, Statesville and several other cities in the state, agreed to a confidential settlement of the lawsuit around the first of the year. Hansen’s former employees Deana Lingle, Leslie Treadway and Robin Perun first took their complaints of months of chronic fondling, kisses and sexual propositioning by Hansen to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2010, then filed suit in federal court a year later. They claimed assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent hiring, supervision and retention, among other allegations. Hansen and his attorneys claimed that the women ganged up to file trumped-up claims against him, changed their stories and did not follow company procedures for filing harassment complaints. They also argued that part of the women’s case should have been considered a worker’s compensation claim and heard by the N.C. Industrial Commission instead of a jury. U.S. District Judge Richard Vorhees threw out the worker’s comp argument in late December, setting the stage for an early January trial. The settlement was reached a week before the opening gavel. While the terms of the agreement have been sealed, the employees originally asked for damages in excess of $100,000. Their attorneys, Robert “Hoppy” Elliot of Winston-Salem and Ray Corne of Newton, did not return calls Tuesday. Hansen could face action by the N.C. Medical Board, which investigates claims of unprofessional conduct against physicians. Spokeswoman Jean Fisher Brinkley said Tuesday that board investigations take four to six months and are confidential. Disciplinary actions, however, are made public. To date, Hansen has no such punishments on his record, Brinkley said. Hansen’s attorneys, Patrick Kelly and Kathleen Lucchesi, both of Charlotte, did not return phone calls Tuesday. The suit named Hansen, his clinics and Novant Medical Group, which owned the clinics before selling them to Hansen in late 2008. By then, the women allege, Hansen’s harassment was well underway. According to their suit, his touching and propositioning escalated during 2008 and into February 2009. All three primarily worked at the company’s Conover clinic while helping out occasionally in the Statesville and Salisbury offices. Lingle claimed the anesthesiologist grabbed her breasts, buttocks and genitals, requested that she sleep with him while his wife was out of town, and propositioned her to have sex and phone sex. She said Hansen once told her: “You f--- everyone else. Why not let me?” Treadway also said the physician fondled and propositioned her, urged her to get rid of her boyfriend, and told her that if she wanted to be his nurse, she had to “put out.” Perun made many of the same allegations, accusing Hansen of commenting on her body, pulling up her shirt to see her breasts, and asking her if she was happy with her sex life. Each of the women said they resisted his advances. Lingle and Treadway said they reported Hansen’s conduct to their bosses. The women say Hansen and his office manager retaliated against them by cutting their hours and denying leave, among other punitive steps. All three women either left the company or were terminated, their lawsuit states. They have asked to be returned to their jobs as long as corrective measures were put in place to protect them."

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  What dr did you all go to?  |  show details
Feb 10th, 2014

I have read the reviews and need to know what doctors you all are going to now.

|  Needs Lisences Revoked  |  show details
by Boo on Oct 20th, 2013

This guy needs to give up pain treatment or maybe he has never been in severe pain, He has no compassion, very very rude, has that "god complex" and I would not send my dog to him. Maybe he and other pain management doctors along with the FDA, DEA who makes these laws that prohibit them "or so they say" need to be subjected to severe pain on an 8-10 scale for at least 24 hrs so they know how it feels, then maybe they would understand COMPASSION! Look it up! I found out that the steroid injection are not even FDA approved for your spine, they re for your hip and knee. Its a money racket like everything else.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Nicest most down to earth doctor ever!!!  |  show details
by Danielle barrier on Jul 27th, 2013

I was refer to him for CRPS from a work related injury. After my second injection I had some swelling that freaked me out and made it a little hard to swallow. This happened om a Friday and come Saturday I had really began to worry so I called the on call service. Dr Hansen called me back in 5 mins listen to my complaints and asked meet him in his office to check me out. This was on a Saturday at 6 in the evening. He did a full exam and gave me some stuff for the swelling. He also have me his personal cell phone in case I needed him. Anyone that is on here and states he doesn't care about his patients are crazy! I would recommend him to anyone. He is all about getting your quality of life better not masking it with pain pills that make you think you are better. He is a great man and a great doctor. All of his Staff have treated me with kindness and respect! Thanks to all of them!

|  Nice Dr and Staff, Horrible PA.  |  show details
by Anon on Mar 18th, 2013

Dr Hansen acted as tho he was concerned about my medical situation and my complex gastrointestinal issues. He prescribed medication that was ER, but for someone with malabsorption issues, instead of lasting 12 hours, my bodies short gastro system ran it through me in about 6hrs. Sometimes I could literally pass through myself an entirely whole pill. After going back and telling him again of my problems, bringing first hand reports from my gastro doctors who says I need instant release medicine and if a normal person gets the medicine every 8 hrs, I need it every 4hrs... after reading the report he said "we will stay with the ER and see how it works out". Um... its not working out Doc! Duh! So another month goes by and I am trying to work with the medicine, cutting it in half, taking half doses 4 times a day instead of 2.. still not round the clock relief.. and I have severe chronic pain issues from a high fall, compound fractures, lots of metal in my body and 70% numbness in my leg due to nerve damage. So he schedules me for injections, which do not work. Then he turns me over to his pitbull PA Penny Mitchell. My first meeting with Penny when I brought up my malabsorption and type/dosage of medicine, said to me "we can take you off all medicine if you would like, or you can take what we deem fit and be happy you are getting anything". I was stunned. She was rude, gave me disgusting looks, mouthed off to me several times also. I am middle class, I dont present myself to look like a street walker, addict or anyone she should feel she has the right to judge. As a matter of fact before my disability I had an influential job with our local government.. I would have loved to have met her then, I could have gave her back a a little taste of her own medicine. Months later after dealing with Ms Mitchell every visit, for no reason what so ever, on an appointment where I pick up a prescription for my months supply, she asks for a urine test. I do not do any other medicine than what I am prescribed. She says it will take two days for the tests to come back, to call tomorrow afternoon and make an appt for the following day. Now I am 2 days without meds. I start going through withdrawal. I make the appt and at that visit am told my sample lid wasnt closed properly and spilled during transit they needed another sample and this time it would be a week before my next visit. UNBELIEVABLE. I told her I was going through withdrawal and she acted like it was FUNNY. She said to work out and get lots of sleep, ummm really? She also told me to take some Advil, which if she had took the time to even read my chart, could cause death, I can not take Advil or nsaids due to my gastro issues. I took the 2nd urine test, on my way out I made the followup appt but called my family doctor who I went straight to see, he worked me in. He put me on some withdrawal meds to help with the symptoms but the pain was still there, he then referred me to a new pain clinic where I am very very happy. I can not believe that these places are allowed to operate? My family doctor plans to look into the clinic, he said he was personally offended that she would treat his patient this way and would investigate further. Stay away from this place at all costs.

Mark as Helpful  | 12 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Nov 12th, 2012

At a minimum, this guy's staff is incompetent. My son was scheduled for a RF ablation in his Statesville office/pain mgt clinic. We had already discussed the cost for this procedure with his office staff. Had discussed the cost for the surgical center with the surgical center staff. Everything was set up. My son fasted for four hours. He and I both took the afternoon off because he had to be driven home afterward. When we got there, he had to fill out 12 pages of paperwork and we paid the almost $800 fee required by the surgical center. Everything was going as planned. After we sat in the waiting room for almost 2 hours (which I really didn't mind either), he finally got to go back for the procedure. When he got to the back to see the doc, he was informed that he wouldn't be doing the RF ablation that day because our insurance hadn't approved it.... this was after he paid a $30 copay. They are now refusing to return the measly $30 co-pay. I read some really bad reviews on this guy from the internet and thought to myself, what a bunch of whiners (just being honest). But I believe them now! I'm a very fair and reasonable person and it takes a lot to make me angry. I'M ANGRY. I'm telling everyone I know.... and I know a bunch of people. I just want my friggen $30 back. Anything else is just wrong.

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Not a pain management doctor  |  show details
Aug 29th, 2012

I was forced to go there by my "case management" nurse, and found out that this is where most are sent on a worker's comp case. I soon found out why. The doctor first acted like he was concerned about my pain, but soon all he wanted to do was get me back to work. He got me on a management routine, then started cutting back on my pain medicine. He said this was to wean me off it, to see how i did with the pain. He rated me as if I was healing, though I was in constant pain, ever increasing because of the lack of medicine. THIS DOCTOR HAS NO BUSINESS TREATING PEOPLE, as he is only an anestheologist, not a neurosurgeon or real doctor !!!!

Mark as Helpful  | 12 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Dr. Hansen is a good Doctor However....  |  show details
Aug 10th, 2012

His associate Dr Amara ISN"T!!! if you can't get transportation to their statesville office, you will get treated like crap and refused refills on meds. Dr. Hansen was understanding in my transportation problems, However Dr. Amara was not! he talked down to me and treated me very badly and with held my meds. I am now in the process of changing drs to one that will not be an issue of having transporation to.

|  workmans comp patient  |  show details
Jun 27th, 2012

Every appointment I've had with him his first question is have you got a job yet. He starts me out with high doses of narcotics, then takes me off them without warning so I have bad withdrawal. Then starts treating me with drugs the pharmacist says hasn't been used in years or is no longer made. Then says well I'm not prescribing narcotics anymore after which he tries what pharmacist says can be bought over the counter for several months. After complaining that nothing he gives does any good he then proceeds to put me on narcotics in a patch form. I'm soon going to another doctor that my primary Dr. says is very good. I trust him. So I'll be done with this quack that Workmans comp uses and Novant health got rid of, (makes you wonder why) possibly the sexual harassment case in court now.

|  best all around down to earth doctor,pleasure to be a patient  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2012

I have been a patient for atleast 10 years i work hard and when i have gotten down he has always came through with getting going again.he has in the past even personally called me to see how i was,..cant get any better than that. He is great at injections that others in the past have not been succesful at. If it was not for him im sure i would not be working every day without pain. I dont take pain medicine and he has made that possible for the last 10 years.best all around person,parent and doctor. I would rate him number 1 at everything. A pleasure to talk to and all around good guy. He puts his patients first. Thanks Dr.Hanson

|  FIND A REAL PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR  |  show details
Jan 11th, 2012

HANSON IS ARROGANT AND RUDE,AND DOES NOT CARE ABOUT REDUCING ANYONE'S PAIN.WHEN IT COMES TO PAIN MANAGEMENT,HE REFERS YOU TO ONE OF HIS NURSE PRACTICIONERS, LIKE PENNY MITCHELL,AND HE WORKS THROUGH THEM TO GET RID OF PEOPLE NEEDING MEDICATION PAIN MANAGEMENT,AND HE SPENDS HIS TIME FORCING YOU TO UNDERGO $1500.00 LESI STEROID INJECTIONS,WHERE HE CAN RACK UP ON THE CASH AND SEND THE PATIENTS PACKING WHEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE CORTISONE INJECTIONS THAT DO NOTHING MORE THAN DRAIN YOUR WALLET,MAKE HIM RICHER,AND SEND YOU OUT THE DOOR IN PAIN AND MISERY,THE SAME WAY YOU CAME IN,EXCEPT WITH FEWER DOLLARS IN YOUR POCKET.

|  Total Creep  |  show details
Dec 31st, 2011

This doctor is a jerk. Has no bedside manner and doesn't listen to you. He is too busy talking to the nurses to care what you have going on.Not to mention, the news that was just released. His integrity is gone. He is being sued by 3 former employees, which you can search for yourselves, for sexual misconduct. The actual filing of the lawsuit has all of the information which is public knowledge. He is creepy and I can't have a doctor like that.

Dec 15th, 2011

I went to see this man when I first got hurt he was very rude to me hit me in the back with a mallet then told me my problem was my weight... Now I am 30 yrs old and have spinal spurs from t6 through s1 getting larger as they go down, osteoarthritis,degenerative disc disese, 2 buldging disc at t6-t7, and depression who wouldnt. I would not let my dying dog see this man. He also accused me of taking medicine I wasnt prescribed.

Dec 5th, 2011

I was referred to this doctor by Workers Comp. He was a very rude and inconsiderate person. Insisted I was using drugs he had not prescribed. That was not true but he would not share the drug screen results with me! I would not reccomend him to anyone.

Nov 18th, 2011

Currently being sued in federal court for sexual harassment by 3 different employees.

Nov 1st, 2011

I would never recommend him to anyone.

Oct 20th, 2011

Great at diagnosing, compassionate, great bed side manner, pleasant helpful staff. Has really improved my quality of life.

|  this is a scam artist  |  show details
Aug 31st, 2011

everyone was rude and unprofessional. Was only seen for 2 minutes to be told they could not help me and would refund my money

by electric shock survivor on Jun 25th, 2011

spent more time flerting with my workers comp nurse.He's more interested in getting people back to work than there health.I went to him with problems. he treated me with pain meds.Than blamed all the problems on the medication.He tried to pull me off the meds quick to get me back to work.I had awfull withdrawls and he wouldn't help.I got off meds by myself where he wanted me to check into a rehab.I was miserable .I had no meds for quite a while and could barely function.Felt like my life was over.I finaly met a doctor that has me on the right medications.I can be honest with him and he takes good care of me.He gave me my life back.I know i can't be like i was before i got hurt but i can live a better life without him.When i first went to him he said few doctors knew what results happen from electrical shock'even him.He told me a year later he told me he was an expert and wrote many papers on the subject.He's full of crap

|  Excellant Staff  |  show details
Dec 3rd, 2010

Excellant staff, Dr very knowledgable

Oct 8th, 2010

Dr. Hansen does not listen to his patient. He is very cold and self-centered. He has recommended over a dozen different pain medication for me over a period of months. He is an experimental pain doctor. He really does not have the knowledge base you expect from a pain manangment specialist.

|  would not fill out my return to work form competely  |  show details
by A good father and husband on Jan 30th, 2010

I am a hard working father and husband and went to see hansen with a very bad back pain.I was given an injection told to go back to work. Well I needed a return to work form filled out. His staff gave me the runaround about filling the form after waiting 1 hour and being treated hatefully by his staff he only filled out 3 things and left it incomplete. My HR dept would not take the form incomplete so I called back spent 5 hours tring to work with his office manager to get this form filled out. This staff person was one of the most hateful persons I have dealed with in my life and made me feel white trash. I was told that he filled out all he was going to and that was that. So I fired them all and now have a real dr office and very good people not some dr like Hans Hansen who floats over 6 diff offices that he just rent a room from.

|  Thanks  |  show details
by Gina Settlemyre on Oct 7th, 2008

Dr. Hansen is very knowledgeable !!! He has very good bedside manners.He is a excellent physician and person. Thanks to you and your staff they are great !!!

by Betty R.atcliff on Jul 5th, 2008

Dr. Hansen is an excellent, extremely competent, and caring doctor-with a very good staff----this is part of my first commment that was left out and i feel he deserves to be recognized for his abilities and i am sure 99.9 of his patients feel the same as i do

|  Excellent doctor----- extremely competent and caring  |  show details
by Betty Ratcliff on Jun 30th, 2008

i had resigned myself to the fact that i would have to live with pain for the rest of my life, when i was referred to Dr. Hansen from neurological specialists for Facet Joint Injections it was the first time in nine {9} years i was free of pain and it is a great feeling----i am very thankful for the excellent care i received /receiving from Dr. Hansen and all the staff are outstanding and friendly----because of Dr. Hansen i can enjoy my life alot more now and it is good to know if the pain returns, he will be there for me ----

Oct 25th, 2007 on yahoo.com

I saw Dr. Hansens PA Penny Mitchell and her knowledge of pain control concerning Chronic pain in my opinion is very limited and closed minded indeed and was no help what so ever. They may be alright for standard back pain issues but when dealing with CRPS

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
Aug 23rd, 2006 on yahoo.com

nice people wonderful staff: hanson is a very busy man and hard to get an appt. with.when you do he is well worth it.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com