Child/Adult/Addictions Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

• Currently 3.4193548387097 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  hello Dr. Sekhon???  |  show details
by Mich on Jul 3rd, 2014

I've been trying to get an appointment with this Dr. for 2 days and all I get is what sounds like a private voicemail. Is this Dr. Still practicing??

|  Outstanding psychiatrist  |  show details
by Alex C on Dec 17th, 2013

Very outstanding doctor with excellent skills

|  Very smart doctor; doesn't get fooled easily  |  show details
by Jake R on Dec 14th, 2013

I went to him looking for Suboxone. I was doing wrong with it and going to 2 other MDs for the same thing. He looked something up on his computer, and then showed me my profile. He was very polite and told me my drug addiction was making me do the wrong things. But I was surprised when he still agreed to help me. He gave me very limited supplies of meds and saw me weekly with drug screens, till both he and I were sure I was really sober. I'm very grateful he helped me inspire of what happened. Treated me like a good human with a bad problem. Great person and doctor

|  Easily the best psychiatrist on my experience  |  show details
by Amy P on Dec 14th, 2013

This doctor actually talks in plain language like a human being with me. His advice and counseling has helped me a lot. Also he's prescribed meefs for anxiety and addictions: clonidine/ Suboxone which have helped a lot and kept me sober for an year now I think he's done a great job.

|  Great Psychiatrist for Heroin addiction  |  show details
by Anita C on Dec 14th, 2013

Absolutely fist clad doctor! Highly recommend

|  Really good psychiatrist  |  show details
by Jackie S on Dec 13th, 2013

Great psychiatrist; Highly recommend

|  Wonderful Doctor  |  show details
by Sandy T on Dec 13th, 2013

I moved here fr NJ. Couldn't find a good psychiatrist for am year. A neighbor recommended Dr Sekhon. He is an excellent doctor with treatment of depression. He use both medicines and very helpful therapy. I recommend him with no issues.

|  Top of the line psychiatrist  |  show details
by Jerry N on Dec 12th, 2013

I've seen Dr Sekhon for problems with my depression and my daughters's ADD. He is the ONLY psychiatrist I have ever seen who does psychotherapy; not just scribble a Rx and pack you off to a social worker. No pill mills here like you see with most psychiatrists Very good and humble man; Always very respectful and attentive. If you really want your problems addressed thoroughly go to this psychiatrist; there are plenty others who'll take your money and play games.

|  Truly a great psychiatrist  |  show details
by Christopher P on Dec 12th, 2013

As a patient of Dr Sekhon for 3 years I endorse this good man and excellent psychiatrist wholeheartedly. I had reservations about shrinks in general but I found this doctor to be a great guy, talks the average Joe language, no Woody Allen nonsense. Very good with therapy and meds: gave me Zoloft and Suboxone for 6 months. Been off now for an year. Working with me on marriage issues now . As with everything, people write trash about everyone from God to Clinton.if you're looking for first class affordable treatment you can't do better than this guy; If you're looking for a priest go to your local church

|  This guy is a great doctor  |  show details
by Jon C on Dec 12th, 2013

I have had the pleasure if being treated by this kind and caring doctor for 2 years. He has gone out if his way to help me and my family. He is very good at his work. Why does this site allow bogus people such as competitors and disgruntled addicts write trash which is between the doctor and his family, and has nothing whatsoever to do with his ability to practice psychiatry. I checked with the Medical Biard and he has never been sued it disciplined. Is this Facebook?

|  Excellent and caring psychiatrist  |  show details
by David S on Dec 12th, 2013

This psychiatrist treated me very well with courtesy and very good knowledge. I almost think the woman who wrote the last review is very disturbed and besides , she had nothing useful to say about this doctor's professional skills or medical practice. I feel sorry for people like her who use professional review sites to launch personal attacks on people.

|  A great addictions psychiatrist.  |  show details
by Mike M on Dec 1st, 2013

Saw Dr. Sekhon for an unfortunate Vicodin addiction after surgery. Treated me with respect and compassion. Placed me on Suboxone after explaining a great deal about how it works. I've been sober for an year and will be off Suboxone in a month. I recommend this Doctor absolutely.

|  Excellent care by this MD  |  show details
by Ted S on Nov 30th, 2013

This MD is the first one who diagnosed and treated my dual problem with depression and opiates. Recommend him highly for his skills and knowledge.

|  Excellent psychiatrist, recommend without reservation  |  show details
by A Mevel on Nov 22nd, 2013

We saw this doctor for our son who has ADD and was addicted to Dilaudid. He was very helpful, giving us practical advice and treated our son successfully with Suboxone/Adderall. He knows psychiatry well and is concerned about his patients well being.

|  Excellent addiction and dual treatment!  |  show details
by Chris on Nov 20th, 2013

This psychiatrist has got be one of the best in Pinellas. I took my teenage son to a few others including a hospital for an opiate problem and bipolar disease. No help. Six months of treatment later , he is healthy, happy in SPC. We did our homework before looking for a new doctor after some poor experiences. I'm sorry to note some hardcore Methadone and Opiate addicts felt they were not properly treated. Probably its their addiction talking. We have great faith in this doctor

|  Patient of  |  show details
by Not feeling helped on Sep 20th, 2013

I recently had the displeasure of being treated by Dr. Sekhon. A pain management facility kept me on increasing doses of methadone over a ten year period with an occasional second medicine that would help keep me from being too tired. I went to Dr. Sekhon after trying on my own to get off the meds completely. No luck on my own so I figured it was time for help. On my first 10 min., $250 fee, he perscribed a medication that he gives to all patients with my withdrawal problem. He told me what it was and how it worked and what dosage to take based on my level of other meds. What he didn't do was ask even one question related to the individual that I am or how I felt about where I am at now. He did ask me where I was currently getting my meds and how long I had been taking them but was completely uninterested in me as a person or what he could do to help me other than prescribing me his so called "miricle medicine." He said that he had a 99% success rate with it which I can believe the possibility of how well it works. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me! And when I tried to explain to him that the side effects for me were severe head aches (Migrane level), stuffy nose and terrible pain in my jaw on the right side only, in fact all of the pain was localized to the right side of my face and head. After several hours the pain would be primarily on the right side of my head and eventually spread through my entire skull. After about 16 hours of this intense pain, things would slowly subside over the next 8-12 hours. Then I would be so fearful of taking another dose that I would let two or more days pass without taking anything. Eventually, I would be dealing with the intense feelings of withdrawal and attempt a tiny dose in comparison to what he prescribed but within 6-8 hours I would cycle through the whole ordeal all over again. I told the doctor these details on my second visit and he said I should lower the dosage but I had already dropped to a level that was far lower than what he was suggesting. That didn't seem to matter to him. He said call him back in two days to let him know how things were going in referance to his meds. I did and when I told him that things were unchanged, he said that he had never heard of symptoms like that and that he would no longer be able to help me. He said I should get a second opinion and that he could no longer treat me and then said he had a 911 call and had to hang up. Which he did. He called back a while later as I was writing this review. He said maybe he could help me in some other way, which was at least encouraging but he then changed his mind again and said I should get a second opinion and for me to seek help else where. Where is elsewhere? What would the second opinion be about? Should I ask someone else about the medicine he prescribed or about wether or not he should even be practicing medicine? Do I think that he is worth even 1 penney of his fee? I can tell you this. Dr. Sekhon has taken $400.00 of my very limited funds for a total of about 20 minutes of his time during which I have gained absolutely nothing other than two limited prescriptions for medicine that makes me violenty ill. And when I think of all the people that I know and of those that I don't but may be able to talk to just a little, like a minister or a cashier at the grocery store or even the person that I have to stand next to while waiting for some insignificant item at some insignificant place, I can tell you this. They, any of them could give me the same leve of attention that Dr. Sekhon has but more than likely any of the other people that I just mentioned would be far superior at personal interaction and potential help than Dr. Sekhon. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

|  Terrible Experience  |  show details
by Lauren D. on Jul 30th, 2013

If you are seeking treatment for your teenager, please think twice before seeing this doctor. Our daughter saw him a few years ago. Her deeply personal issues, along with those of some of her classmates, were shared by Dr. Sekhon with some other parents. Disgusting.

|  Absolutely the most Unethical Doctor I have EVER encountered!  |  show details
Apr 4th, 2013

I had the absolute worst experience with Dr Sekhon. I have NO idea how he is even in practice. No compassion whatsoever for his patients. Do not recommend this physician for anyone. By his behavior is was evident that he is only in this for the money. I wish I had read the comments below because what they are describing is exactly what happened to me! Please don't make the mistake that I made by going to him. Don't think that you are an exception or that the people writing these bad reviews are just negative or pessimistic. I'm not, and I can attest 1st hand to what the other patients are describing below. Their description is spot on to the way I was treated. I am completely shocked that this man is in business! Period. Let alone a Doctor, working in a field of helping people and changing patient lives.

|  Psychology graduate  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2013

It was my first appointment for evaluation and he only spent about 15 minutes with me! Then he told me I needed to change my antidepressant Zoloft to a very similar one, Lexapro. However, he would not give me the new prescription unless I came for a second visit. I called and asked them why he needed to see me again if he had just seen me two weeks ago and the secretary had no explanation. They never prescribed my new antidepressant. Mind you that his consult is $300. He just wanted to double dip before he would give me my prescription. This is Avery commercial doctor, not true to the Hippocratic Oath. He is all about money.

|  not a good doctor  |  show details
May 22nd, 2012

Bedside mannor, you will never hear him speak unless your insurance company doesnt pay him in time. He is sloppy and greedy. He does not care about clients. Staff is sloppy and unprofesional. they dont even have e-mail.

|  Excellent, caring psychiatrist  |  show details
Feb 24th, 2012

I went to see Dr. Sekhon on the advice of my neighbour. have 2 kids with asperger's syndrome. No one seemed to know. Dr. sekhon made the diagnosis on our first visit. Both boys are doing much better.WISH WE HAD FOUND THIS WONDERFUL DOCTOR 2 YEARS AGO!!

|  THIS IS THE PSYCHIATRIST FOR A CURE!!  |  show details
by Jymmy at Citysearch on Feb 24th, 2012 on citysearch.com

I saw this Doctor after two failed trials with other psychiatrists. Became cynical, almost gave up. Tried to trick him into giving me Xanax. Did not work.This guy is really very good. Knows his stuff very well, treats you with respect but will not be easily fooled.Treated me with therapy, Neurontin, Paxil and Suboxone. Explained things in detail to my wife.I`m 100 better.There are plenty of psychiatrists in Pinellas who will give you any pill you want. Don`t go to this Doctor if thats your main goal.

|  Saved me from depression, drugs!!  |  show details
by Typhany at Citysearch on Feb 24th, 2012 on citysearch.com

Dr. Sekhon, is one big reason I`m alive. Hopelessly addicted to Roxycodone, depressed, in a failing marriage, I saw him in desperation.He explained my problems very politely but firmly to me.He treated me over 6 months with Suboxone, Celexa and marriage therapy.I`ve been clean for an year now, and my marriage is back on track.I will say that if you try to manipulate this Doctor to give you any pills you are going to get a polite \"NO\" Thats probably what happened to the last unfortunate person raving aboutly Dr. Sekhon .GO TO THIS PSYCHIATRIST WITHOUT HESITATION IF YOU WANT TO GET BETTERIF YOU WANT YOUR FAVORITE PILLS FIND SOMEONE ELSE!

|  Saved me from depression, drugs!!  |  show details
by Typhany at Citysearch on Feb 24th, 2012 on citysearch.com

Dr. Sekhon, is one big reason I`m alive. Hopelessly addicted to Roxycodone, depressed, in a failing marriage, I saw him in desperation.He explained my problems very politely but firmly to me.He treated me over 6 months with Suboxone, Celexa and marriage therapy.I`ve been clean for an year now, and my marriage is back on track.I will say that if you try to manipulate this Doctor to give you any pills you are going to get a polite \"\"NO\"\" Thats probably what happened to the last unfortunate person raving aboutly Dr. Sekhon .GO TO THIS PSYCHIATRIST WITHOUT HESITATION IF YOU WANT TO GET BETTERIF YOU WANT YOUR FAVORITE PILLS FIND SOMEONE ELSE!

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Outstanding psychiatrist, last comment was very immature  |  show details
Oct 13th, 2011

I have been treated by Dr. Sekhon for 6 months. He's turned my life around. He's gotten me off pain pills and helped my relationship with my dad. I am no longer depressed. That last patient seems very immature; probably came very late or did'nt want to pay their bill!

|  truly a terrible doctor  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2011

He was a good doctor in the beginning. Nice, caring, and considerate. Then over time he became annoyed with my behavior and was made at me like my parents were. I was upset but it didn't seem like he cared. I wish I had a caring doctor. I also had to wait in the waiting room for an hour sometimes. I would not recommend this doctor.

|  This guy is a Psycho  |  show details
by Nyal09 at Citysearch on Sep 7th, 2011 on citysearch.com

I came to his office because I had problem with school and friends. He was very mean to me. Made me wait in his waiting room for an hour and then prescribed me medication and I was out of his office in 20 minutes. From there I took his medication and it made me feel even more depressed. He did not care at all about me and I really think something is wrong with him. He should not be a doctor. I finally switched doctors and now I am doing better off the medication he prescribed. THIS GUY IS A PSYCHO. I would not recommend him.

|  This guy is a Psycho  |  show details
by Nyal09 at Citysearch on Sep 7th, 2011 on citysearch.com

|  Finally, a good, caring psychiatrist  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2011

This doctor is very knowledgeable and caring.We had seen two doctors before we were referred to him for our daughter'shyperactivity and tantrums. He diagnosed her correctly with Asperger's Syndrome and his treatment was very effective for the first time. He also spent a lot of time with my husband and I on parenting techniques and gave us hope and optimism. Its very hard to deal with mental illness, and harder to find a good doctor who can help you.

|  One of the Best Psychiatrists I`ve seen  |  show details
by Dimitri75 at Citysearch on Jan 17th, 2011 on citysearch.com

|  One of the Best Psychiatrists I`ve seen  |  show details
by Dimitri75 at Citysearch on Jan 17th, 2011 on citysearch.com

This guy is easily the best psychiatrist I`ve seen. My wife was hooked on Oxycontin, my marriage in shambles.My daughter`s depression kept getting worse. We saw another Doctor in Palm Harbor who spent 5 mins with us, gave us a bunch of prescriptions and packed us off. Dr. Sekhon took a lot of time to hear our whole problem. He treated my wife with Suboxone, us with marital therapy and gave my daughter medicine and counselling. My wife has been drug free for an year, my daughter goes to SPC and our marriage is stronger than ever. This Doctor is one of a guy You can`tt go wrong with him!

|  Turned away...  |  show details
by Nikki99 at Citysearch on Nov 10th, 2010 on citysearch.com

I am disappointed to say first hand that Dr. Sekhon has no problem with telling you he`s too busy for you.My son stopped going for a few months to see him. When we tried to reinstate appointments, he basically said sorry, we`re full and can`t see him anymore.We were turned away by him. If you still choose him, know that he`s good, which is why I gave 4 stars, but he`s not concerned where he`ll extend anything extra....Luckily, we have a wonderful doctor who is intelligent and has a big heart for my son, and we should have stayed with and listened to him...and he is good enough to accept us back. He`s my son`s original doctor and we are going to stay committed to him because he hasn`t given up on us and has been there when we needed him.If you are new to Sekhon, give him a shot, but just be sure you don`t stop going for any length of time. He`s not the kind of person who will pick up where you left off.

|  Very compassionate and knowledgeable doctor  |  show details
by Frank on Oct 21st, 2010

This doctor is perhaps the best psychiatrist or physician I have seen with my family. He takes a lot of time to understand the complex problems that people have. He is very good with psychotherapy, a very rare thing for psychiatrists, and also excellent with medicines. He helped me from the brink of divorce, treated my depressed wife of 23 years, and enabled our 19 year old to ger off a Pain pill addiction. I recommend him highly.

|  I wish we had found Dr. Sekhon earlier  |  show details
by Haley on Aug 22nd, 2010

Dr. Sekhon is easily the best child psychiatrist I've seen for my 10 year old son. We went thru several pediatricians and psychiatrists, and were very frustrated, as no one seemed to know what was wrong with our hyperactive son. Dr. Sekhon diagnosed him with ASPERGER'S SYNDROME and treated him with medicines and therapy. He has spent so many hours with our whole family, giving us hope, coping skills. Our son is now functioning like a "normal child" at school and home. Dr. Sekhon is not one of those pill mill type psychiatrists. He takes the time with us and our child. What a wonderful doctor!

|  A great Doctor for Opiate addicts!  |  show details
by OPIATEADDICT at Citysearch on Aug 22nd, 2010 on citysearch.com

I am very fortunate I met Dr.sekhon, and was treated by him. I had a very bad OxycontinXanax problem, depression, going thru bankruptcy. I had tried 2 other psychiatrists and was skeptical. What a change! Dr. Sekhon was very empathic, very knowledgeable and always there for the 1 year I was under his care. He put me on Suboxone, gave me psychotherapy and marriage counselling PERSONALLYunheard of with psychiatrists these days. I have been sober and depression free for an year now. A great doctor! Kind of restores your faith! Someone from a foreign country with bad english wrote a review on this site, whining about not getting pills by phone from Dr. Sekhon. This gentleman lost the opportunity to get help from a great doctor! Probably he was an addict like me.Pros Very good at his job, gets it done rightCons None

|  A very good psychiatrist especially for Opiate addicts  |  show details
by OPIATEADDICT at Citysearch on Aug 22nd, 2010 on citysearch.com

Dr. Sekhon is a first class psychiatrist. He spent a lot of time understanding my complex problem with Oxycontin,depression and marital issues.

|  Very Compassionate and knowledgeable  |  show details
by Marcus on Oct 26th, 2009

I was very depressed and hopeless. My PCPtried a bunch of medicines and I got worse. Then I saw Dr.Sekhon on a friend's recommendation. He spent a lot of time with me, did labs and put me on a combination of medicines. $ weeks later, I was enjoying my life again!He is a great Doctor; Now he's helping my son kick his Opiate habit successfully. One of a kind psychiatrist!

Jan 28th, 2009

A very well educated and compassionate psychiatrist, who truly cares for his patients.

|  One of the best psychiatrists I`ve met  |  show details
by Missyhope at Citysearch on Jan 28th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Dr.Sekhon is a wonderful doctor and person.

by Parentofaddictson on Jan 28th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Thank God for Dr. Sekhon! Our, son was hopelessly dependent on opiates, in and out of hospitals and jail. Dr. Sekhon assessed him thoroughly, spent a lot of time with us, and truly listened to our story. He bonded very well with our son, treated him wit

by Missyhope on Jan 28th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Dr.Sekhon is a wonderful doctor and person. He is very educated and compassionate. He helped me beat my Oxycontin problem completely, and my depression is almost gone. I have hope and my family back. Dr. Sekhon is always very careful about making sure I

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Saved our son`s life and gave us hopethe best!  |  show details
by Parentofaddictson at Citysearch on Jan 28th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Thank God for Dr. Sekhon!

by happyzoloft on Jan 28th, 2008 on citysearch.com

Dr. Sekhon is a wounderful doctor. I've refered many of my dear friends to him, and will continue to do so. He presents himself in a professional manner, is always on time, quality of care is 5 star. Doc goes above and beyond for all his patients. Thanks

|  He saved me and my family  |  show details
by happyzoloft at Citysearch on Jan 28th, 2008 on citysearch.com

Dr. Sekhon is a wounderful doctor. I`ve refered many of my dear friends to him, and will continue to do so. He presents himself in a professional manner, is always on time, quality of care is 5 star. Doc goes above and beyond for all his patients. Thanks God, he was available when I needed him.

by nikliw2909 on Jun 8th, 2007 on citysearch.com

It's taken many doctors to finally find one who was helpful. Dr. Sekhon has been very helpful, his staff is very nice. If there's ever a moment I need to speak with him, he always gets back to me the same day. Been seeing Dr. Sekhon for over a year and f

by robertofdc on Sep 8th, 2006 on citysearch.com

Dr Sekhon must be the most un-ethical, un-professional, money motivated MD topped up with a serious lack of knowledge of psychiatry. I explained my problems to him. He pretty much didnt listed and double all the medicines that I was taken. The medicines h