Gastroenterologist (digestive)
1015 E 32nd St
Ste 300
Austin, TX 78705
512-469-9966
Locations and availability (6)

3.0

|  My expectations were exceeded!!  |  show details
Feb 27th, 2011

I went to see Dr Gagneja this past week after hearing from at least 5 of my friends and colleagues with very high expectations. Dr Gagneja exceeded these high expectations, he was very courteous, great bed side manners, didn't interrupt me during interview, didn't seem in hurry to see the next patient, explained my condition by drawing cartoons on a white erasable board.....25 minute wait in the lobby was worth it. I can wait even an hour as I know he is giving the same careful treatment which I received, to the other person in the exam room. highly recommended!

|  RUDE  |  show details
Feb 21st, 2011

I can't believe a doctor can be so rude. He doesn't listen, he has no compassion for what you are going through and his bedside manner is worst I have ever encountered.

|  Didn't live up to expectations.  |  show details
Feb 17th, 2011

I scheduled a consultation with Dr. Gagneja for a routine test after being referred to him by my physician. Gagneja's office staff did not present a good first impression at all. After a lengthy wait in the lobby I was taken into an office where I waited some more. An associate finally entered and explained the procedure to me before passing me off to another staff member who presented me with an estimate for the proposed procedure. Her manner was impersonal and cold, and due to a lack of communication between her and the doctor our session ended up in a very uncomfortable dispute. Later, after hearing about the incident, the doctor phoned me personally to explain the miscommunication and invited me back to his office to schedule the procedure later that week. I agreed to do so, but the next day there was another major misunderstanding with the same staff member regarding my insurance. Her incompetence was unnerving, and her demeanor was defiant. I canceled the procedure and I'm glad I did. I heard good things about the doctor, but my patient experience with his staff was deplorable.

|  show details
Nov 18th, 2010

Dr. Gagneja is a great doctor! He's very easy to talk with when sometimes you have to ask the "uncomfortable" questions. His staff it unbelievably efficient and professional. I highly recommend Dr. Gagneja.

|  Great Doctor!  |  show details
Oct 13th, 2010

I have been suffering from abdominal pain for several months. My PCP finally referred me to GI, where I met Dr Gagneja. He spent quite a bit of time with me, asking me many questions about my condition. In fact, I have never been asked so many details about my medical history from any doctor. He did some testing, which I was quite nervous about, but he explained everything to me so I would know what to expect. I finally feel so much better, and I am most grateful for his patience and persistence in getting me better. I was treated like a person and not just a set of complaints.His office staff was also very helpful in getting me my results quickly and were always available to answer my questions. Many thanks!

|  Very poor bedside manner, very snide attitude  |  show details
Sep 11th, 2010

On my first visit with this doctor he spent very close to 10 minutes with me. He was very brief about things. He asked me if I knew what a colonoscopy was. When I said yes, he said: "then we're done." At the follow-up visit, he was also very brief. He didn't go into very much detail and was very vague about my diagnosis. He said everything was "normal." The nurse actually told me what my diagnosis was! Had I not gotten this information on the phone from his nurse, I may have never know that I had atrophy with metaplasia. When I asked him if atrophy and metaplasia, a condition that prevents absorbing B12 vitamin, was something that I should be concerned with as I am tired a lot, he said not to worry as it was "just a few patches" in my stomach. I also work at a computer and have chronic carpal tunnel syndrome. I used to take NSAIDS but they were making me sick to my stomach so I stopped. He said that I can take NSAIDS with omeprazole (a PPI). Again, he didn't get into detail about any side effects this can cause. I read that this can cause a hypochlorhydric condition in your stomach and decreased B12 absorption! Also, I suffer severe allergies and it can increase sensitivity to foods and exacerbate allergic conditions! Another side effect is it can decrease drug metabolism in your liver and a buildup of drugs in your liver. I am a college educated person and if I had not done my homework, I would be at the total mercy of these money-hungry doctors who make enormous commissions on pushing prescriptions to patients, and specialists who know better but are also making a fortune on doing their procedures and don't care about explaining anything to their patients! In my opinion, Dr. Gagneja fits perfectly into this picture!

|  Dr. Gagneja  |  show details
by mruby78610 on Aug 10th, 2010

I was recommended to Dr. Gagneja by my Family Practioner over 5 years ago after being diagnosed with Hep C. Although my blood panels showed that I had high levels of the virus, he ran further test to insure that the diagnosis was a correct one. I also like the fact that he has me take current blood work prior to my visit. So, when I do have my appointment with him, he is able to know exactly where I stand on the date I visit. Makes great sense. He has handled me with kit gloves and has a great bedside manner. I have the utmost confidence in his treatment of my condition.

|  Finally I had a diagnosis  |  show details
by longhorn on Jul 21st, 2010

I have been suffering from multiple abdominal symptoms for last couple of years and had visited 4 different gastroenterologists and FINALLY after one visit Dr Gagneja recommended colonoscopy and diagnosed me with Crohn's disease and started appropriate treatment and now I have my life back.....highly recommended

|  There are much better doctors you would wanna see  |  show details
by austinguyinpain on Jun 2nd, 2010

I consulted with this doctor for a couple of years and every time I walked in, his opinion was always that I had IBS. Only with some basic blood tests, he came to the concrete conclusion that I have IBS. I was put on anti-depressants in lower doses to treat IBS and inspite of taking it for months, it made no difference. I had prior severe elevation of pancreatic enzymes and he dismissed that as non-starter. I changed doctors and found a doctor who did all the tests that were supposed to be done including trans-abdominal ultrasound, HIDA scan, Gastric Emptying Study, CAT scans, MRCP, Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) and ERCP. The EUS showed some abnormality in my pancreas and another doctor also suggested Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction which still needs to be tested for. This doctor did only 1 test on me and concluded I had IBS. In retrospect, I realize that this doctor either did not know what to look for or was just not motivated. I could have saved 2 years of really useless consultation if I had known this about him. Please find a better doctor and save yourself time and effort. This is just from my experience and you may have a different experience but I felt compelled to share my story with you as I wouldnt want another person to go through this with this doctor because they didnt know this. Good luck.