Dr. Harold Pretorius MD Patient Reviews

• Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Blue Ash, OH

April 27th, 2017
I have been going to Dr. P. for 15 years now, today I was there and saw him, my name is Doug and I consider this man not only the best doctor in Cincinnati, but one of the best person that you could ever have the chance to meet, he cares about people and he takes the time to explain what your problem is and what you need to do to take care of it, and yes some times you may wait a little longer to see him but you'll never walk out of his office without a answer to your medical questions. Dr. Pretorius has the best office staff ever, they are great young people and I have a good time when I go and see them all. Dr Pretorius was also my Mothers and Fathers Doctor and they loved him very much. He took very good care of them.

February 11th, 2017
Misdiagnosed
Unprofessional staff, long wait times, they do not respect privacy, the doctor is very rude, and does not listen to your thoughts or concerns. He misdiagnosed me with MCI, and he told me that I would likely have dementia at a young age. He put me on unnecessary very expensive medications. I was diagnosed from a brain scan, and later told that this is something commonly diagnosed with cognitive testing. Bottom line--I do not have mild cognitive impairment. His inaccurate diagnosis changed my life in a negative way.

July 23rd, 2016
HOW IT IS
I LOVE THIS GUY. I HAVE BEEN WITH DR. P FOR A LONG TIME. HIS STAFF SUCKS. I COMPLAIN AT HIM ALL THE TIME ABOUT I. THERE ARE 2 THAT ARE WORT A DARN. BUT I DON'T GO THERE TO SEE THEM. PLUS HE DON'T PAY THEM MUCH ANYWAY. DR. P IS A RESEARCH DR. HE WILL TELL YOU THAT STRAIT UP. HE IS VERY SMART. HE DOES DO LOADS OF TESTING. HE IS TRYING TO HELP US ALL. BY ALL I MEAN THE WORLD. HE IS NOT A CORPORATE DR. HE SPENDS THE TIME NEEDED FOR EACH PATIENT. IF YOU NEED AND HOUR. THAT IS WHAT YOU GET. HE DOES NOT RUN US ALL IN AND OUT IN 15 MINUTES LIKE MOST DR.'S DO. SO YES YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT. HE DID SAVE MY EX-HUSBANDS LIFE. MORE THAN ONCE! HE HAS EVEN SAVED MINE TOO. SOME TIMES YOU DO HAVE TO GET A LITTLE LAUD WITH HIM TO GET HEARD. HE DON'T MIND. HE IS A BIG BOY. HE CAN TAKE IT. I WILL STAY WITH HIM TILL HE RETIRES OR ONE OF US DIES. HE CALLS ME. I CAN EVEN CALL HIM IF I NEED TO. HE IS MY BUBBY.

January 8th, 2016
Rough around the edges, but good
I almost didn't go to this doctor after reading some of the reviews on here. But I'm glad I did. Staff was young and casual, but still friendly and attentive. Dr. Pretorius does talk quite a bit, but I actually like that. It's more information than I've ever gotten out of any other doctor. Most of them treat you like you're too stupid to understand, but not this man. He's attentive to detail and picked up on things my GP had missed. His office is easy to reach when you have an issue or concern. I called and was shocked to have a real person answer. Yes, he's rough around the edges, but I'll take that any day over a doctor who doesn't communicate with you and won't explain his reasons for what he's he doing or prescribing for you.

November 16th, 2015
RUN! Do not entrust your life to this doctor! Dr. Pretorius ordered many many expensive and unnecessary tests including a multitude of scans and blood work. Then he put me on a chemotherapy drugs (I don't have cancer!!!). When I didn't immediately improve under his care, and in fact got sicker, he kicked me out of his practice without any follow up care or plan to transition to another doctor. Luckily I found another doctor who was able to quickly and easily fix my condition. They were horrified by the number of tests that Dr. Pretorius had ordered and the dangerous medication that he had prescribed. Go to any doctor except this one if you value your life.

September 20th, 2015
Dr. Pertorius was and is worth the wait if you care about your health. I have seen the man save 3 peoples life that other Doctors referred to him. Myself being 1 of the people.

July 14th, 2015
disgusted
Orders numerous, unneeded tests. Tests ordered seem to be based on what your insurance will cover. Has his own machines, and uses them liberally for serious, nuclear medicine testing. Orders treatments other doctors don't understand or condone. Said I had heavy metal poisoning, which no other doctor was able to verify, even with the same test results. Wait time to see him is so long, hours and hours aren't uncommon. I've waited to see him for his first appointment, only to have him show up several hours late. His staff are rude, unprofessional, and dismissive. Don't mention the wait time! No respect for personal privacy, he and his staff yell your personal info back and forth across the office. This guy is a mad scientist. His experiments are impulsive, ill-advised, and dangerous. Be very careful.

June 23rd, 2015
Just FYI
This guy is horrible. Dr. Pretorius is one of those physicians that gets praise for being so intelligent and knowledgeable but that only gets a person so far in my book. His staff cycles throgh like no other... Whoever he has now as the nurse or assistant or whatever, has a crappy attitude, tattoos everywhere, and clearly no sense of medicine...the language I overhear back in that office would make George Carlin blush. Since visit 1, I have had 6 of his bogus nuclear scans, a thyroid biopsy, countless blood tests (including specialty ones) and 2 ultrasounds and I still feel awful. My meds are always called in wrong and the physician doesn't even call them in himself or write the prescription! His reception staff does it! Is that legal? Besides...the man takes (NO exaggeration) 3 hours to see one patient and just yammers on and never let's you speak. He is rude, has no manners, and answers personal and patient calls in the middle of your appointment. I have done extensive research on my thyroid condition and I have tried to discuss this with him, but he just won't have it. Also, I tried to explain how I wanted to wait to have a liver scan since I was already in medical debt from the other scans I have had, but he blatantly INSISTED I get it done. Turns out- I have a normal liver SHOCKER!!! The basis there...was that I helped his research. Wow I'm glad I could rack up my bills more to help YOU out!!!!! Moral of the story--- find someone else, there are many other smart & caring Endocrinologists and family doctors out there who can truly help.

February 25th, 2015
Why did Pretorius keep seeing me for over a year without doing anything?
Another endocrinologist immediately after looking at my records from Pretorius suggested surgery it was CANCER!!

January 10th, 2015
The doctor was very knowledgeable and thorough. He took time to explain things to me and my family.

February 22nd, 2014
Twilight Zone
I should have known when I walked into the office itself. What a dump. The office staff? Way too casual, unprofessional and disorganized. While some staff members were courteous and friendly, others were downright rude. It was weird. And Dr. Pretorius? I don't doubt that he's brilliant, but he has no affect, likes to ramble on (while belching), does not like to be asked questions, is incredibly condescending and rude, and has no bedside manner. He takes calls while meeting with you and is dismissive of anything you say, if you can say anything at all. How could anyone give this place/this staff/this doctor a 4? Maybe if you came from a third world country...

February 3rd, 2014
Stay away!
I agree with the other 1 star reviews of this doctor. Something is very wrong at this practice. I had a couple thousand $'s of tests done and when I went back to find out the results, he mumbled a bunch of stuff about studies that made no sense to me all the while picking his nose. Disgusting! Then he put me on a medication that, when I looked it up had nothing to do with his diagnosis. When I went back to get a follow-up blood test, there were a couple of people leaving, upset, because they had appt's and the doctor, office staff did not bother to call them to reschedule in advance. Apparently he had gone to California. I had given him the benefit of the doubt up to this point but decided that I'd seen enough.