Neurological Surgeons, Pediatrician
865 Northern Blvd
Ste 302
Great Neck, NY 11021
516-570-4400
Locations and availability (6)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  NO INTEGRITY  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2014

He is exactly the way Owen's mom has described. To a "T" word for word, her experience mirrors ours. He thinks he is above everyone, won't admit mistakes, and even worse, he is so blinded by his ego, he can't see his mistakes or see them as they happen so he cannot prevent them in the first place. He is a coward, a lying, manipulative one at that. He twists the truth to serve his purposes. He told us he would do a procedure one way and then he forgot to do what he told us he would do and the patient ended up on life support in a coma to never walk, talk, or eat again. Thank you Dr. Rekate for ruining the last year of a man's life and making it so he could not express pain, or communicate his needs to those caring for him. He had to suffer silently. I wish with all my heart that you experience that pain yourself. That is what you deserve!!! YOU messed up! BIG TIME! And you won't acknowledge any of it. You aren't even sorry, you sorry excuse for a human being!

|  Excellent Surgeon!!  |  show details
Apr 22nd, 2014

Dr. Rekate operated on my 17 year old daughter. She had Chiari decompression surgery. She has been free of all previous symptoms since the surgery. It is amazing to see her pain free! Dr. Rekate was fabulous from the first appointment on. He is compassionate, understanding and takes the time to explain the details. I also appreciated that he did not rush to surgery. My daughter had a lot of symptoms and he took the time to explore all her symptoms, having her see other specialist to be sure surgery was the best option for her. I highly recommend Dr. Rekate without reservation. We also had a good experience at the Cohen Children's Medical Center and at the Ronald McDonald House. Having a child with a serious medical condition is scary; I am so glad we had Dr. Rekate through it all.

|  Serious concerns over whether he should still be doing surgery  |  show details
Nov 11th, 2013

After our first consultation, Dr. Rekate recommended surgery and explained why. In the follow up letter he sent, there were typo's, he wrote incorrect information on it, and it even had food on the paper. We got other opinions, and declined surgery. At our second consult (we gave him the benefit of the doubt that possibly it was a clerical error prior), and after waiting 2 hours to see him, he spent 9 minutes with us. He again, gave us incorrect information, WAY off from what any other surgeon and radiologist told us, and told us our son has no restrictions, even though he still has Chiari, EDS, and symptoms from both. Then, in the follow up letter, he again sent us the wrong measurements and incorrect information about our child. I feel like their office is poorly run, the doctors are seeing too many patients. I honestly question whether he was even looking at the correct MRI's, as he would not look at them with us in the office at our appointment.

|  9 yrs too late- wish I'd have listened to my gut, the other Dr.'s Harrington and Garbaciac, his surgical assistant, and other professionals in operating room.  |  show details
by Owen's mother, 2004 on Nov 6th, 2013

Natural instincts should not be set aside when a Dr. seems not right. From the get go I had a weird feeling, distrust, didn't match my gut or what I saw on scans-and when he argued with Dr. Harrington, who had serious doubts, concerns, wanted to investigate more, we caved in and allowed him to go forth. He was so convincing, put down every other professional in room, and we felt he was best choice, (although Dr. Harrington had worked on both of my exes children in emergency situations and was HONEST and successful. Whether it was because it was my 1st child, or that my ex & I were just blown away by his brazeness, we agreed. After surgery, Dr. Rekate took us outside the waiting room to inform us Owen's cyst "exploded like a balloon, was surrounded in blood vessels like he'd never seen, and he was sorry he wouldn't survive", turned around and left. Nothing more- refusing to come talk to us while son was on life support, refusing to answer any questions, or return calls from his surgical assistant, peers Dr. Harrington, the Neonatal nurses, all as shocked and distraught as we were, says it all. I have been reviewing off and on since Owen's death, as my ex could only handle it by pretending he was never born, I can see I finally need to speak out. I never thought of and have NOT sought malpractice, not my nature and believe God planned to take Owen where he should be, but Dr. Rekate is what he is. Even after letters and phone calls asking for answers, other professionals(his surgical assistant and others in operating room felt something was wrong) begging us to do more, we accepted the fact that he is SIMPLY a COWARD. He has performed wonderful procedures and saved many, but when others' challenge him he bullies and belittles fellow Dr.'s, rushes vs. waiting for more information, and when something goes wrong he disappears. I'd still just like to sit with him, face to face, and have him explain the discrepancies in operating room between his assistant, nurses, and anesthesiologists. I'd like to ask why he refused to come see us as his assistant, along with fellow peer Dr. Harrington, and the staff at Banner tried to get him to do. I'd like to ask why he refused to see or talk to us about our options prior to removing Owen from life support and my holding my son as he bled out in my arms, taking his last breath. Or, why, even days, weeks, and months later, he never once responded to a single phone call or letter? Only a coward can't face the truth. Do I think he shouldn't be practicing, even today? No- I am sure he can still save many. However, I feel he needs to truly listen to peers, staff, and parents that he seems are "Beneath" him. He needs to be open to questions, 2nd opinions, and keep an open mind-not act Superior, All Knowing, Belittling those that question him, and realize he is only HUMAN. I can accept the loss of my son, that surgery didn't go as planned, and even that he made a mistake. GOOD, HONEST, and TRUE doctors take responsibility and are HUMAN. I cannot accept his COWARDICE.

|  Lying egomaniac  |  show details
Sep 19th, 2013

Dr Rekate is dishonest and hides mistakes he makes from his patients. He is not a doctor to be trusted and preys upon those in need of help and hope.

|  Find Someone Else!!!  |  show details
Sep 19th, 2013

This man is dangerous. He had been our doctor for years. He has lost his skills and now makes frequent errors and then lies to cover them up and would rather have your loved one dead, so he doesnt have to face the fact that he made a mistake!! I know these things to be true from horrific experience-- he allowed our loved one to die to cover up his ineptitude. He does believe he is godlike and above reproach in an almost psychopathic way! Be forewarned--If your surgery is straightforward and all goes well, you will think him great (and all he will be telling you non-stop how great he is). But when something goes wrong (and it likely will--we excused about a dozen big mistakes before we realized what a dishonest, egomaniac charlatan this man is), he will dump you and your child and treat you like dirt and do all in his power (including falsify or destroy medical records) to cover up his mistake. Trust me please-- his lies, careless surgical technique and inability to admit when he is wrong KILLLED our child. Run away as fast as you can!!

|  he saved my life  |  show details
by Karen Dixon on Apr 29th, 2013

He listened and believed in me, where other doctors couldn't see the forest thru the trees. Amazing doctor.

by Anahy garibay on Apr 27th, 2013

Saveing my life and i would like to talk with you4805808419. For me you are you are the number 1 doctor in the world

by shawnna boyd on Apr 20th, 2013

Dr Rekate you put an LP shunt in Shawnna, in 2001 for the last time. Only 2 total. She has been having problems for about a month now and they don't seem to want to help her. She's seeing Dr.Harrington now, he said he trained under you. They did a lumbar puncture on her and it measured 21. Last weekend they finally tapped the reservoir and it measured 0. The head aches are still there and each time they drained 3 vials of fluid and it made no difference in the headaches. Is she going to have to live like this from now on. Please tell me what to do. Kathy Boyd

|  great surgeon  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2013

Surgery wise he is magnificent! He operated on me twice and after he implanted a shunt I improved instantly. He is very knowledgable on his field. As far as my post op appointment I was not pleased because I felt he was to busy to even see me for more than five minutes after I waited over four hours past my scheduled time. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just a busy day for him. After all he saved my life!

|  Amazing Dr. one of the best !!!  |  show details
by April welsh on Apr 5th, 2013

Dr. Rekate is one of the most honest , loyal doctors we have ever seen. We have seen neurosurgeons in MS, FL, SC, AZ due to the military moves. Dr. Rekate saved my daughters life and to this day 15 years later I'm always and thankful for him! I never write reviews but had too after reading some of yours. I would trust Dr. Rekate with my life and have trusted him with my daughters life. If I could give 100 stars I would!!! We miss you Dr. Rekate!! Alexis is doing amazing! I wish I could send you a picture. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!!

|  Lies were made to cover up mistakes.  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2013

In our experience, he came across very nice during the consultation. But be forewarned - it all changes quickly when he's realised he made a serious mistake with your loved one. That is when the cover-up starts. There were lies to cover mistakes and more lies to cover other lies. It was really crazy just how far he was willing to go to make us feel like we'd imagined the whole ordeal. To the reviewers that think he's wonderful during a consult, so did we, until we learned about the real Rekate - the hard way. I would recommend someone actually have surgery with him (within the last 3 years) before posting. My opinion is he has lost his skills, maybe has some issue with substance abuse or is becoming senile, because he says he will do one thing, and then forgets to do that during surgery. Meanwhile, the person you love and adore suffers and you are forced to watch them suffer while you live with the regret of your decision to trust this very good actor/con man. It haunts me how I allowed myself to be taken by this man. The fake smiles, the pretend concern are now obvious. A wolf in sheep's clothing. He really could care less about a patient's suffering. His own self-preservation and ego is his main concern. Total lack of empathy. This is the definition of a psychopath.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Jan 22nd, 2013

I think Dr.Rekate is an amazing person. He saved my life and I will be forever grateful. I had a small problem a few months ago (not caused by him) and he told me to be at his office the next morning. I love him so much. He is just so compassionate,gentile,and an overall amazing person!

|  Obvious one negative poster  |  show details
Jan 20th, 2013

We saw Dr. Rekate last year for our child's Chiari Malformation. She has not had surgery yet. His attitude was nothing like the previous posters described. He was kind, and very down to earth. He listened intently, and explained everything so that it was easily understood. He has an excellent reputation. It is pretty obvious if your read all the comments, that it is just one or two disgruntled patients that keeps posting again, and again....to bring down the patient score for this wonderful neurosurgeon.

|  He thinks he's God  |  show details
Oct 13th, 2012

I thought highly of Dr.Rekate , because I had to, after being his patient for the last 18 mo. I now understand why he likes pediatrics, they can't really talk or describe what they feel, so he takes it on himself to do it for you. I am 37 and been sick for 11 yrs. he does not listen and does not document the truth!!!!!!!!

|  Big liar  |  show details
Aug 8th, 2012

This man has no credibility. He lied so many times to our family we cannot keep count. He knows very well that he made a big mistake, which almost cost a life, and took away any possible quality of life but he continued with his lies to us, thinking we are stupid and that we don't get the medical info. It does not take a brain surgeon to understand this mistake. People are not as dumb as you would like them to be. Pretending that he is the one that is insulted or offended when a loved one is paralyzed is just classic NPD. He needs a psychiatric evaluation.

|  A Life Changer  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

After years and years of being given the medical run around this doctor not only gave me hope but a new life. I can't thank him enough. It's only been 2 weeks since my 12 mm decompression surgery but I've already had major breakthroughs and pain reliefs that I haven't felt in over 20 years. He's an incredible doctor and is in the practice for all the right reasons. He knows what he's doing. I highly recommend this surgeon!

|  parent of patient  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2012

This man should not be practicing medicine any longer. He is arrogant and will cover life-threatening mistakes rather than admit to them, much less assume responsibility. Do not be fooled by his self-congratulatory claims or publishing--his sterile technique is poor as well, so in addition to you risking him doing a delicate surgery with hands that should not be operating, you run the risk of infection. We had several brain infections after surgeries with this man. Run way.

|  Bob C.  |  show details
Jun 13th, 2012

This man saved my life. When no other doctor could help me because of the severity, Dr. Rekate stepped up and took me on as a patient and in a little over 6 months I am walking, talking and enjoying life again. Thank you so much Dr. Rekate, you are my hero.

|  Loved Dr Rekate  |  show details
Apr 10th, 2012

Dr Rekate is the best Neurosurgeon I have seen. He understood the problem, fixed it and had incredible follow up. He also employees a very professional front office staff.

|  A Charlatan plain and simple.  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2012

We trusted our loved one's health to this so-called expert and we paid dearly for our naivete. He insults your intelligence with outright lies. It adds insult to injury. He is not knowledgeable, trustworthy or skilled. He just pretends to be.

|  Be afraid of this man  |  show details
Jan 2nd, 2012

He retaliates if you question him and his wife is a med mal defense attorney. He would probably have been sued left and right if it were not for her. Be very afraid of this man. He's a narcissist and self-proclaimed expert.

|  decompression surgery  |  show details
Dec 28th, 2011

The most fantastic doctor you will ever meet. The best handsdown!!! Like an old country doctor except the top of his field.

Dec 27th, 2011

I am floored! Not only was it nearly impossible to actually see this man due to his travel schedule but after being a patient for 14 years & having a truly complex case of hydrocephalus, we didn't even get the courtesy of a standard form letter announcing his departure from the hospital that he has worked at... No contact, no letter, no referral of where to go nor who to be treated by now.... NOTHING! I had to find out online, nearly a year after his departure that he was gone. Wow! I guess I see where we rank on level of importance! Total lack of professionalism!

|  Dr. Rekate destroyed our lives.  |  show details
Dec 3rd, 2011

He may have been a good surgeon at some point in time but he has gotten sloppy and careless.

|  My Life Saver!!!  |  show details
Nov 24th, 2011

Reading most of the comments on here was really disheartening. But I understand that those are your opinions based on your experience. However Dr. ReKate SAVED my life! I was born premature and with Cerbral Palsy Hydrocephalus. Without the quick action of Dr. ReKate I would not be alive today. I was one of his "miracle babies." I technically was not supposed to live past 5 yrs old, but I am going on 25yrs old now! I have spastic cerebral palsy and I am happy to say that I show no signs but a slight limp to the fact that I have CP. I love that man! He had been my doctor since I was born up until he left for New York and that hospital is lucky to have him on their staff!

|  an angek  |  show details
Nov 17th, 2011

Not only is he s great doctor. He is a loving ,caring person. Thank you for loving and caring for our children.

|  By far, the worst medical experience ever.  |  show details
Oct 20th, 2011

My experience was a disaster to say the least. After he makes you worse, he still acts like he did you a big favor or that he "helped" you even though you are much worse off. He has a selective memory. He "conveniently" forgets everything he ever told you. The previous posts are on the money. That is who he really is. Don't be fooled. Any other impression is an act. He is not concerned with you or your complications. He acts like the victim. You can be paralyzed, in a coma and he's the victim. It's all about him.

|  Disappointed  |  show details
Sep 29th, 2011

I am very disappointed with this doctor. I don't know where the reputation comes from but my experience was less than ideal. In terms of medical ethics, experience, skill, and integrity, Rekate falls short. I am not surprised he lied to another doctor as was mentioned below, or that important information was omitted from that patient's record. Doctors should abide by ethics and standards. It's a slap in the face to the medical profession when they don't.

|  Refake is right, I would add Retard.  |  show details
Sep 14th, 2011

Everything the last reviewer said is correct. He is arrogant, thinks he's better than any other doctor and drops you like a hot potato when his surgery goes wrong. Another thing that is accurate is he is useless. He does not know what he is doing. He is not the brightest doctor out there even thought he thinks he is. I agree the floor cleaner did more for us than Dr. Refake, Retard ever did.

|  Dt. Rekate, Dr. Re-fake  |  show details
Sep 4th, 2011

When I was refered to Dr. Rekate, I only heard of his reputation, and how he was a 'mirical worker'. When I met him, I was astounded -and not in a good way. He is arrogant, talks down about any other doctor, and believes that he is one step above god.He placed a lumbar shunt in me in April. When he placed the shunt, he caused a very large spinal leak, which he denied that he caused. After nearly a month of being in the hospital, and losing nearly ten pounds because of nausea and vomiting caused by the leek, he finally went back in and attempted to repair the leak.For someone that has been working with spinal issues for longer than I have been alive, he did as much help as a floor cleaner would have. He did not finish the leek, and then stopped coming to the hospital, as if ignoring my symptoms made them not there. And then he had the floor doctor practically throw us from the hospital.Six months later, we went back to the practice, as the leek still continued, and Dr. Rekate handed my case over to his partner, and I never saw him again.The leek was fixed by his partner, but that was not the end of things. When I continued to worsen, I went to a local Neurosurgen, Dr. Rekate lied, saying that he had never put a shunt in me, and had never had a leek. I had to pull his surgery notes just to prove to this new doctor that I had even had a surgery from him, and on the notes, he never once mentioned that he had a leek, putting that he only placed a ICP bolt in my head -though that was true, the leek was never documented.I would never recommend Dr. Rekate, plain and simple, as he went and ruined nearly seven months of my life, making any chance I have of recovery even slimmer.

|  Left AZ?  |  show details
Sep 3rd, 2011

Why did Rekate leave Arizona?

|  Mrs. Carrie D. Price-Nix  |  show details
Jul 7th, 2011

I have been a patient at TCI for 8 yrs. under Dr. Milhorat & Dr. Bolognese. I suffered from a headache from 7/12/01-6/21/11. I have Chiari Malformation and a sub-arachnoid cyst. I had a shunt for 8 yrs, and Dr. Rekate reviewed my file, and spoke with me and looked at all my scans and came to the conclusion that the shunt was doing more harm than good, and he was right on! It is now 7/7/11 and I feel WONDERFUL I feel better than I have in 10yrs. it's amazing! I believe God guided him to do this work, and I am so blessed to have him "fix" me!! Thank you Dr. Rekate!! thank you!

Dec 9th, 2010

I have had Pseudotumor Cerebri since 2007. I went to see Dr. Rekate because of his reputation. Well Dr. Rekate does not live up to his reputation. He has no bedside manners he doesnt take the time to talk to you to discuss things. I had to have surgery and I kept telling him something was wrong with the shunt but he did not listen, his resident was the one that listened and did scans and tests and found out that the shunt Rekate placed was messed up and Dr. Rekate did not fix it I had to have a plain surgeon go back in and fix Dr. Rekates mess up. He is very arrogant and I would never recommend him to anybody. His office staff is very rude and not helpful as far as any questions or concerns and scheduling appt's If you need your records or have any questions done talk to Jolene she needs to go to school for learning office manners as well. So my overal experience with this doctor and his office was the worse of worst. I would never recommend him to anyone

|  Our "St.Luke"!  |  show details
Oct 13th, 2010

Dr.Rekate must be a direct desendant of St.Luke,master physician of biblical times!With grace and ease,this saint has created a loop hole into hopeful recovery from dasterdly surgical botchery.It has been said by many that (saint)Rekate corrects other surgeons mistakes quite often.Praise God for gifting Dr.Rekate.Now my wife can truely begin a sense of recovery!

|  Thank you!!!  |  show details
by Mardie Stensland on Nov 15th, 2009

Thank you for saving my brother's life in 2001 with a Third Ventriculostomy!!! :)He (Jeff Stensland) is now a news reporter in the midwest :)

|  AWESOME DR.  |  show details
Jun 10th, 2009

Dr. Rekate Saved my life. He did an awesome surgery with minimal scaring. Super nice man. Highly recommended.

|  Jordan C. Allen #99  |  show details
by Mrs. Yvella C. Allen on May 1st, 2009

Our daughter Jordan C.Allen was Dr. Rekate 99th patient with a HH Tumor. He removed 95% of the tumor off of her brain when others doctors told us to leave it alone. God answered our prayers when we found this doctor. He is an excellent doctor and I highly recommend him.

|  craniosynostosis  |  show details
by SH on Jul 12th, 2008

I feel God blessed us in 1986 when my son was born with Craniosynostosis and we were referred to Dr. Rekate. We lived in Tempe, Az at the time and at the time of course we were devistated but looking back how blessed we were to have the Best of the Best in Dr. Rekate. Thank you again.