Dr. Harold Shelby MD Patient Reviews

• Gastroenterology New Orleans, LA

3.1

October 3rd, 2015
Medicare fraud? time to retire !
Dr Shelby dismissed my symptoms and wasted my time. Weeks later, a surgical oncologist recommended an ERCP and I was hospitalized dur to an iatrogenic injury. Dr slipped and lacerated my duodenum. INTERESTINGLY, Dr. Shelby billed Medicare for multiple unsolicited and perhaps unmade visits to me as an inpatient! He was not one of my attending physicians, had no reason to be there, but billed Medicare anyway. St Lukes then tried to cover the injury and subsequent transfusions, ICU stay and 10 day hospitalization up!

September 11th, 2014
Good
This is a GREAT Doctor great bed side manners .I love his work .

September 6th, 2013
Wow
Dr. Shelby is a delight. He is personable, knowledgeable and has a sense of humor. He was kind enough to add me to his Fri. Afternoon schedule which was already full. He took me seriously and ordered testing for me.. I give him a 5!

August 31st, 2013
Horrible Doctor
My experience was almost identical to Joe and Cary's. I had chronic diarrhea and nausea for almost a month that I had never experienced prior to this episode. I assumed that by going to a specialist I would be able to get an accurate diagnosis, but boy was I wrong. Dr. Shelby did not examine me at all. Since I did not have a fever he was convinced that my stomach problems could not be caused by a pathogen and that my diet was to blame, even though I hadn't eaten anything out of the ordinary prior to this episode. Turns out, I heard in the news of an outbreak of a stomach parasite (cyclospora) that was spreading across the country. So this time, I went to a family doctor, and told him my symptoms and he independently diagnosed me with cyclospora. He ordered a stool sample to check for cyclospora but also proactively gave me antibiotics to treat it, just to be on the safe side. I am back to normal now, thanks to a doctor who actually knew how to do his job. When I made my appointment with Dr. Shelby I had seen that he had very bad reviews, but I wanted to see a doctor as quickly as possible and he was the earliest doctor I could see. However, seeing him was worse than not seeing a doctor at all, because he makes patients believe that there is nothing wrong with them, when in fact there might be something wrong. Therefore, I would strongly discourage anyone from seeing Dr. Shelby.

August 7th, 2013
complete waste of time
My experience with Dr. Shelby was a complete waste of time. When I explained my symptoms (inflammation of abdomen and discomfort) he disagreed that symptoms were anything to worry about (he didn't examined me) instead of explaining professionally and courteously why symptoms were not anything to worry about or refer me to another doctor he instead made me feel like I was wasting his time, completely ignored symptoms and he even seemed to laugh. I think this was the shortest visit I ever had with any doctor. Never had an experience like this with any other medical professional.

August 22nd, 2012
Dr. Shelby and staff were great with appointments and follow-up. The diagnosis was good, and effective as well as the management of my disease. Crohn's disease. His knowledge and ability to assess and offer medications was extremely helpful

April 4th, 2012
Excellent Care
Enough cannot be said about the professionalism and mannerism of Dr.Shelbey and his staff I can't say enough.

November 21st, 2009
Unwilling to help
I have had chronic stomach/back pain with some other symptoms for 3 months now. I have been proactive with my health and it has gotten to a point that I am in constant pain. In my visit with Dr. Shelby, he proceeded to tell me that I have no "red flag symptoms" that require testing, such as high fever or blood in stool, and that "pain" isn't a symptom he can work with. Therefore, he refused any tests on me- even a simple endoscopy. The pain has gotten so bad that I can't sleep at night and have difficulty breathing constantly (especially when lying down). I have lost about 10% of my body weight in the last 6 weeks as well. This doctor absolutely refused to help at all, and made it clear that because I wasn't keeling over and dying, he wanted to wait even longer before doing anything. This is a poor route to medicine, and I would not recommend anybody going to this doctor with a problem. I am going to see another GI doctor in houston, and am hoping that I can at least get some feedback on what is happening.