Dr. Harold Young MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 14th, 2016
No one does it better than Dr young.

May 22nd, 2016
Fabulous Dr. and man

August 6th, 2015
DR. YOUNG IS AN OUSTANDING NEUROSURGEON AND GENTLEMAN

April 3rd, 2013
patient
Thank God for Doctor Young! After two spinal fusions I wish I could have him for a hip replacement that I need. I have never had a better doctor or man to care for me. Keep up the great work, I know you have helped so many people and you care about us all. Your work was perfect and my recovery was on target. Thanks.

February 16th, 2013
Compassion
I have never met an individual in the medical profession that has the compassion for a patient that Harry Young has Weeks after surgery he would call me at home at night to see how I was feeling I always feel better when he just walks in the room

July 27th, 2012
Very caring
I've had 2 back surgeries from him and he's always been kind and caring, to the point where he would call me at home after surgery to see how I was doing. The only complaint I have is at the office he tends to be distracted and goes in and out of the exam room without explanation. I don't know if he's checking on things that matter to me or what, and sometimes I'm not sure if we are done or he's coming back. One thing I've found to be useful is to bring a list of questions and give it to him. Then he sits down and goes over every question patiently. I love this doctor.

June 4th, 2010
NPH (Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus)
This is a brain condition where an abnormal build up of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) has occured causing Alzheimer's or Parkinson's like symptoms. Dr. Young & his staff are 1 of the best (if not the best) in correctly diagnosing and correcting this condition (shunt surgery). It was a house of horrors here in Florida trying to determine if my mom had NPH & I've heard similar stories from others around the country. After suffering for almost 3 yrs w/NPH, my mom has been given her life back after just 12 days w/Dr. Young. God Bless Dr. Young & the staff @ the VCU Medical Center!

June 24th, 2008
First DO NO HARM
After years of working for physicians, and experience as a patient over 30 years of spinal disability due to a rear-end accident, I have never known a physican who absolutely adhers to the Hippocratic Oath as Dr. Harold Young. He truly cares about his patients, more often refusing to do surgery than agreeing if he does not believe the outcome will be favorable. He has operated on me three times, cervical and lumbar, plus implanted a neurospinal stimulator as relief from pain since I cannot take opiate pain medication. This truly bothers him and he once said that the last thing he thinks about before he makes the incision is 'this lady cannot take pain medication'. He also called me on Christmas Day from out-of-state to see how I was getting along - and I was so suprised that he had taken his concern for me on his Christmas family vacation. At the present I may be facing more surgery, a very difficult procedure, but he first wants me to go to P.T. to see if the area can't be 'opened up' enough to bring relief before doing surgery. Since Medicare will not pay for 'maintenance' therapy I will be forced to undergo this procedure, eventually. However, I know that I cannot receive any better care than under Dr. Harold F. Young, and the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond. He is truly a 'stand-out' in is speciality, without ego, and simply an incredible surgeon.