Dr. Haroutun Hovanesian MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.8

August 19th, 2015
Spents less time with no manner! Not hime not his staff!

April 11th, 2013
Appreciation
My friend was a patient of Dr. D. Boyer, and Dr. Hovanesian was recommended to her. She told me how impressed she was with him, so when I had a emergency with my eye today, I went to his office and he agreed to see me. He gave me his full attention and did not rush me as he diagnosed the problem, suggested a remedy that was easy for me to follow, and gave me a reassuring pat on my shoulder as I left. The staff were kind, courteous and efficient even though it was a busy day in the office. efficient even though it was a busy day in the office.

October 16th, 2012
This is the worst doctor I have ever seen in all my life. All he is interested in is pushing unnecessary procedures on his patients, who, the majoruty, are elderly and tend to worry when a doctor says they "should" go ahead and do something extra that will cost them a fortune out of pocket. My dad needed a simple cataract surgery. The doctor told him multiple times that while doing the procedure he could also fix the astigmatism. Of course that would mean he would have to write a check out to Dr. Hovanesian himself for a mere $1,700. My dad said no every time he asked. But the doctor didn't give up, right up to the moment my dad was laying in bed ready for the eye surgery...the doctor leaned in and said, "are you sure you don't want me to do anything extra?" Are you kidding me????? I am so furious that this man considers himself a doctor at all. He should be ashamed of this. When my dad left after the cataract surgery, he was given no instructions for after care at all! Nothing! When he complained about this to the other doctor he saw the next day, it got back to Dr. Hovanesian and when he saw my dad the next week he was rude and disgraceful, ripping into pieces the paperwork my dad brought with him. If I can figure out how to report him to the board of Ophtalmology I will.

May 17th, 2012
VERY BAD EXPERIENCE
The front office staff was unfriendly. Harounian had no bedside manner, did not explain anything to me, and only saw me for 10 minutes. Does this doctor only care about churning out the patients and not about doing a good job? Only the nurse was nice. The first thing the front office person said to me when I walked in the door was Have you been here before? No hello or any other greeting. A form was provided for me to sign stating that I had been given privacy paperwork that not been given to me. The copies of the other forms I had to fill out were so shoddy, they were illegible in some parts. My appointment was at 9:00 a.m. I wasnt seen until 9:25. I was the only patient there.No receipt for co-payment was given. I had to ask for it. I had to wait an additional 15 minutes after my exam to get the receipt. During the time I was waiting, the front office person went over to a mirror and adjusted her hair.The waste baskets in the bathroom and in Hovanesians exam room were full at 9:00 a.m. Obviously no one took out the trash the night before. There were no paper towels in the bathroom. Its not very reassuring to feel like you are in a dirty clinical environment.Hovanesian did not see the growth on my right eye until I pointed it out when he was about to leave. He looked again and saw it.He did not say anything about my other problems which I had explained to the nurse. After he saw growth on my right eye, I asked if he saw anything in the left eye. He said no. He did not take another look. I had told the nurse that I felt something on my left eye. Did he even read the nurses notes?He did not discuss with me the results of any of the multiple exams. He gave me a prescription for eyeglasses, but did not discuss how much or little I needed glasses.

October 24th, 2011
horrilbe experience
referred to me for a cataract - first visit I was told to wait a yr then given a wrong presc. - had to return after waiting several weeks and Dr. thought it funny the precr was written wrong then proceeded to tell me I wasn't mentally ready for cataract surgery - mind you I was only with him 10 mins. after being insulted he gave me a second presc. - again wrong - even the original doctor could not understand what he was doing - I have been with glasses since JUly. I now have an apt with a highly regarded doctor in La Canada andand hope to recoup the money I have been out with this doctor Hovanesian.

October 9th, 2011
Very Satisfied
Recently my insurance carrier was changed, and I was referred to Dr. Hovanessian by my family doctor. My prior ophthalmologist performed cataract removal on my right eye with a placement of a premium implant. I was very unhappy. When Dr. Hovanessian offered cataract surgery on my left eye I was hesitant initially, because of my prior experience. Now I am extremely happy, because he did a wonderful job and now I can understand a difference between a good and not very good surgeon. Dr. Hovanesian is an exceptional surgeon. Trust him.

September 27th, 2011
Bad experience
I was referred to this specialist by my family doctor to get to the bottom of a reoccurring eye problem. First, the office staff failed to give me a receipt for a co-payment and she seemed annoyed when I asked for one. After a long wait, I was seen by the doctor and in less than five minutes I was out the door with moisturizing eye drops. No explanation on my condition, nothing on how to prevent, avoid or deal with my condition. He needs people skills and should try to not overbook his patients. One doctor to just about 15 people in less then 45 minutes I was there.

February 22nd, 2011
REAL DOCTOR WITH EXEPTIONAL HUMAN QUALITIES, NOT AN ACTOR. VERY PROFETIONAL.

June 2nd, 2010
DO NOT TRUST THIS DOCTOR, especially with your EYES!
My visit was simply, I just needed an eye exam and a prescription for new glasses. One of the workers asked to check the lenses of my current reading glasses, I let her inspect my MINT condition glasses, and she returned them to me. Moments later I realized that the central portions on both of my lenses were in fact severely scratched. I then complained about this to the worker, who took responsibility for it for ruining my lenses, and said that they will take care of the matter. Later on "Doctor" Hovanesian, said that it was not caused by his machine, nor his worker. It was obvious to me that this "Doctor," didn't want to do the honest thing and take responsibility for the damages that the worker at his clinic clearly caused. My $500 glasses are now worthless, ruined, and can't be used. He is now under investigation by the CA Board of Optometry, and my insurance company. This is not about money, this is about the principal, and integrity, something this doctor clearly lacks. DO NOT TRUST THIS DOCTOR, especially with your EYES, and DO NOT GO TO HIM.

November 22nd, 2009