Dr. Harpal Khanuja Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Harpal Khanuja?

Posted on August 9th, 2016

Changed my life for the better. MY total hip replacement was a huge success. I could not be happier with the care I received and the successful outcome!

Posted on August 5th, 2016

Dr. Khanuja was fantastic in all ways. He's literally the best for hip replacement in Baltimore. My recovery was extremely easy. I was done with my cane after just over 2 weeks. I was virtually fully recovered in 4 weeks and walking with literally no pain. The surgery was life changing and Dr. Kahuja and his team was fantastic to work with.

Great results

Posted on May 30th, 2016

Dr. Khanuja and his nurse practitioner, Dotsie Czajkowski are a great team. I spent far more time with Ms. Czajkowski, but Dr. Khanuja was available if necessary (e.g., with questions about recovery). Two months after having my left knee replaced, I went on vacation to Brazil and did very, very well. Three months after that, I had my other knee replaced and did even better, probably because I knew what to expect. I especially liked that I was involved in decisions and that he and Ms. Czajkowski were available when I had questions.

Excellent

Posted on May 27th, 2016

Dr. Khanuja has been very helpfull with my after surgery treatment for bilateral hip replacement. He is extremely knowledable and competent. There are many issues which are related too but do not involve the prostetic. He is a very valuable resource.

Mediocre

Posted on May 11th, 2016

I saw Dr Khunuja a few months ago and he was very nonchalant about my hip, which made me feel good actually that he didn't act like it was a huge deal. He said I needed to go to physical therapy which I did and the pain has become way worse. Getting In Contact with the office they said they were understaffed and they apologized about not getting back to my first 2 emails. I just feel like Hopkins is the best and they should act like it.

Examination for hip cartilage restoration

Posted on May 8th, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Khanuja through John Hopkins website for Cartilage restoration/stem cell for my hip. I was very excited to meet the Dr. Khanuja because he had outstanding reviews. In the examination room with the Dr. and the student nurse assistant, the doctor asked me about my condition and the medications that I was currently taking. I explained to the dr. that currently go to a pain management for pain medication and have gotten steroid shots and regularly see a chiropractor. The dr. appeared to be very impatient and gave a disgusted look. The dr. told me that I should stop going to pain management and stop taking my pain medication they prescribe before he could help me. At this point, I was very shocked at his views as an orthopedic surgeon. I explained to the Dr. that I have been in chronic hip pain and have been suffering for 3 years now and seeking his help for stem cell/cartilage restoration. He kept insisting that I stop going to pain management clinic and to stop taking my pain medication they prescribe me. He asked me how did I get connected with the pain management clinic. The dr. seem to be very against pain medication and the pm clinic. I'm currently on a very low dosage of pain meds, nerve meds, anti-inflammatory which targets the chronic pain that I'm in, so that I can work. He kept insisting for me to take a lot of Tylenol for pain instead and that he will prescribe me a medication and to follow up with him in 3 months and then he would assist me with my hip. I know that taking a lot of Tylenol is a danger to the liver and the Daypro that he prescribed has extreme side effects for people with high blood pressure like me and can cause strokes. He didn't even look at the my vital chart to see that I suffer from high blood pressure due to pain. I also brought my MRI and recent X-ray to show that I have no cartilage on my hip bone. He placed the X-ray disc in his computer and barley look at it. The dr. then quickly examined my leg. He said for me to go to physical therapy. I explained to him that I've gone to physical therapy, chiropractor, aquatics and got cortisone shots and I've tried all alternatives. And, I'm seeking his assistance to see if I'm a cartilage restoration or stem cell candidate. He then laughed and said that stem cell doesn't work and is a waste of money. And, kept on insisting I stop taking my current pain medicine and to take the medicine that he is prescribing and then we can discuss him helping me in 3 months. I came to Dr. Khanuja for his help and not to criticize me for my decision to enter pain management. As he is an orthopedic surgeon, I feel that he should understand about persons who are in chronic pain. The Dr. treated me as If I was some kind of drug addict seeking pain medicine from him which I was not seeking. He displayed poor bedside manner and was very impatient and left out the room & returned on 2 occasions. Once he finished with me, he quickly left the room and left my X-ray disc in his computer. I had to called the nurse to remove it out his computer. As I looked at a recent patient posting in April, 2016, there is another patient that experienced a similar issue with Dr. Khanuja. I'm very thankful for the website vitals as it allows patients to rate and review doctors that they have visited.

Examination for left-hip replacement

Posted on April 27th, 2016

Dr. Knanuja turned me down as a patient. I'm taking pain meds for osteoarthritis and chronic pain syndrome. He told me that I would have to come off of some of pain meds before he would operate. I am also a smoker. I'm aware of the fact that people hae their own personal opinions about smoking. However, I have survived open-heart surgery, neck surgery, right-hip replacement with no complications whatsoever. He turned me down because he said I would have to quit smoking before he would operate. I'm in severe pain and I need a left-hip replacement. I felt that smoking was a personal choice, and of course I wouldn't be smoking while I'm in a hospital facility. I was not aware of his concerns until after I had an x-ray and the examination was over. I felt like this was a waste of my time, and my insurance would hae to pay for the x-ray and his exam. If he has concerns about the condition of a patient I would wish that I knew that from the beginning. Then we wouldn't have wasted the time and effort. Thank goodness I've been able to find a surgeon who will address my current problem without bias to my medication or smoking. There will not be a follow-up. I just hope that I will be able to retrieve my x-ray to give to my other surgeon. And I have to endure pain for 3 more weeks before I can see the next surgeon.

Finally Pain Free After 2 1/2 years!!!!!!

Posted on February 4th, 2010

After 6 surgeries in 2 years, I was referred to Dr. Khanuja. I was apprehensive about undergoing another surgery after what I had been through. It took me 4 months do decide to go ahead with yet another surgery. During those four months Dr. Khanuja managed my pain and emergencies which is the only reason I could wait and come to terms with the 7th surgery. He gave me his cell number and answered all my questions whenever I happened to think of them. After the surgery I was finally pain free after more then 2 years. Things couldn't have turned out better. Baltimore was far for me, but every trip was well worth it. I would recommend anyone with joint pain to start with Dr. Khanuja and avoid the pain and suffering I went through!

Bad News!

Posted on September 4th, 2009

This guy seems to put his patients into boxes rather than considering indivdual needs. It's all a matter of what is clinically interesting to him. He recommended inappropriate surgery for me and I called him on it. It was so bad his own staff told me to find a new doc! This man just doesn't get it.

Posted on August 29th, 2017