Surgeons
26025 Lahser Rd
Fl 2
Southfield, MI 48033
248-663-1900
Locations and availability (5)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Kindest Resident to EVER work with.  |  show details
by Susan Senn on May 5th, 2014

Was a new RN starting on the 6th floor which was the orthopaedic unit. Dr. Herkowitz was a resident at the time. He showed great care for his patients and introduced new surgeries for them. He CARED about his patients. He was kind to all.

|  Will be missed  |  show details
by KP on Jun 19th, 2013

Rest In Peace, Dr. Herkowitz. Your act will be a tough one to follow. I am grateful for the time I had to be your patient. You have taught and inspired many to follow in your footsteps. I hope they do as great a job as you have done. You will be missed. Rest In Peace <3

|  GIFTED SURGEON.....  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2013

Dr Herkowitz is way beyond exceptional as a surgeon.... an artist. He just knows EXACTLY where, why, and how much to cut to fix your problem. He performed surgery on me in 1989 and 2010 to correct lumbar disc herniations. He is also VERY conservative.... he's honest enough to tell me that the triple fusion I need is only 50/50 for success and let's put it off as long as possible. And if that means he's short with you, consider yourself lucky.....your condition doesn't require surgery.

|  Don't bother  |  show details
Jan 18th, 2013

Dr. Herkowitz has absolutely no bedside manner. He doesnf't go over or show you any test results. He just says looks good or doesn't. He may be a good surgeon but he is not good with his patients. It's like pulling teeth getting any information from him. I won't go back.

|  An Opinion from a Patient who is a Registered Nurse!  |  show details
Oct 7th, 2012

I have never encountered a more arrogant Dr. in all my years as a nurse. The reason he gives you 2 seconds of his precious time is because he is a stupid idiot and is unable to answer the questions asked of him. He really messed up my neck and I knew it. I called him on numerous issues but he refrained from answering the questions. He always had one foot out the door. I don' t even believe he did mu entire surgery. I think he told the residents what to do! How is this moron the head of the dept. It' scary to think that he is in charge and has no clue as to what is going on. His own office staff asked me to fill out a paper stating my compliments about him. Imagine that! I told him that the screws he put in my neck moved. They were not in the place he stated he put them in the operative report. He told me that was not a problem even though it was confirmed by MRI and a CTScan. Well, the screw he used is too long and now going from my cervical spine into my spinal cord. So I need more surgery on 3 areas of my neck. This jerk needs to stop doing surgery since he is not capable and also lies on his charting. I would advise anyone to chose another Dr. That is my professional opinion!

Aug 28th, 2012

Dr. Herkowitz gets a bad rap for being arrogant and lacking in bedside manner, I was expecting this and never got it. He is truly an amazing surgeon and man. Thank you for being who you are Dr. H!

Jul 17th, 2012

I went to Dr. Herkowitz for a second opinion. After looking at my test results and examining me he scheduled surgery four days later. This was my second back surgery with him and he is the best surgeon around. I traveled across the united states for his opinion and it was so worth it!!Thank You Dr. Herkowitz!!!

Jun 8th, 2012

We went to Dr. Herkowitz using a referel from a co-worker.We were sent to several tests, then told he didn't see anything and couldn't help us. When I asked about the CT scan report stating there was a crack in the bone and a bulging disc, his response was that this was nothing and there is nothing he could do.The total appointment with the Dr was less than 5 minutes, after waiting 40 minutes for him to see us

|  Satisfied retiree  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2012

He was the best, told me my problem and corrected it. After 4 months I'm 90% cured. I'll always be grateful to Dr Herkowitz. As for his personality, it was friendly while being perfessional.

|  Unbelivable  |  show details
Feb 15th, 2012

First you wait and wait and wait. Second you get 3 minutes with the doctor, he'd rather watch paint dry than to actually talk to his patient's. If you can't have surgery due to your issue may need conservative care he basically boots you out the door without so much as telling you what your problem is. He may have been a great surgeon back in the day but now adays I think he's a has been. He probably treats his staff so bad which is why they in turn treat you terrible as well. There are far too many good orthopedic surgeons in the Metro Detroit area so keep on truckin if you want one that will take more than 3 minutes and actually shows they care!

Oct 18th, 2011

WAIT TIME IS WAY TOO LONG....I HAVE BEEN IN SEVERE PAIN FOR 4 1/2 MONTHS....WORST THAN BEFORE GOING IN FOR SURGERY...TOTALLY SCREWED UP MY LIFE SO FAR...LOOKING FOR ANOTHER DOCTOR NO BED SIDE MANNER AT ALL.....

|  Darlene Mendel Marter  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2011

Dr. Herkowitz, I would like to Thank You for all that you did for me in January 2007, Your a wonderful skilled doctor, your kind, professional, honest, trustworthy, and I appreciate all that you did for me. I did get my life back after your surgery and I have sang your praises to all my family and friends. I have recommended you to countless others seeking help for their back problems. Your the, BEST!!!

Sep 16th, 2011

Arrogant? yesJerk? YesAloof? YesGreat Doctor? YesWould I go to him again? Absolutely.If you want to be coddled and have your doctor sit down and hold your hand, this is not your surgeon. He did my back surgery and I'm 100% better and back to work. Thank you.

Sep 7th, 2011

I had a terrible experience with Dr. Herkowitz. He did a lamenectomy on me for my spinal stenosis. Ten months later I am still in extreme pain, and I am looking for another doctor to do a second surgery. I should have been alerted, before the surgery, when he was very short, explained very little, and had the attitude that I should just trust him. I thought he was a little too old to be doing surgery. After the surgery, when I continued to have pain, he said it was caused by restless leg syndrome, not by nerve compression caused by the spinal stenosis. He took no responsibility for not helping my spinal stenosis. He said he couln't help me! The guy is a jerk, and he has no business doing surgery!

Aug 27th, 2011

Very professional, sincere, bedside manner was non-descript.

|  this is the MAN.  |  show details
Jul 26th, 2011

This is the man if your hurting with back pain he can fix that. thank you Dr. Herkowitz [ had surgery jan 3 2011 now it's end of july 2011 and i'm back to work]

Jul 14th, 2011

I like him, he is arrogant, but I'm not dating him, so who cares....I want the best Doctor!

|  The Best!  |  show details
by Judith A. Coulter on Mar 30th, 2011

The visits and surgery went very well. Dr.H took the time before and after to tell me what was going to happen and what did happen.He TOOK time which a lot of doctors do not do. Usually you get your 30 secs and out the door you go. THANK YOU for helping me and giving me back my life. It is the first time in 40 years that I have not had a migraine or any other kind of headache.

Oct 7th, 2010

The guy is a jerk. I spent HOURS waiting to see him & he didn't even do anything or TRY to help. Or seem to care at all. I fractured my spine & have been in severe pain & his mannerism implied that it was my fault & that there wasn't anything he could or wanted to do. Thanks for nothing!

Jul 30th, 2010

Herkowitz performed my back surgery and a year later I am still in pain and he spends no time with me trying to figure out what the issue is. Go to a different, more caring doctor!

May 29th, 2010

doctor Herkowitz is god to me. thank you

|  I was not impressed  |  show details
by a surgical patient on Apr 18th, 2010

His bedside manner is horrible, poor communication with the patient and when asked questions, he got into a confrontation with my spouse at my bedside at 6 am! He didnt answer certain important questions. I had him do the surgery anyway because he had a good rep, it was a redo, but there was no improvement. I believe there are better doctors out there and I would choose a neurosurgeon if I did it again and I'd probably go to the Mayo or Cleveland Clinic....doctors in private practice dont see as many chronic patients as the larger clinics. Also theres a doctor at U of M who also specializes in this condition and he is published, an ortho... these doctors dont care about their patients, they only care about their ego.

Nov 20th, 2009

Knowledgeable, accurate, aloof. I trust his judgement.