inactive

Harvey M Cohen MD Patient Reviews

2.5

February 23rd, 2012
disgusting human being
My mom was assigned to him at Delray Hospital. I asked him if it was safe for her to have a colonoscopy as she was in her 80s and on coumadin (a blood thinner.) I supposedly used an inaccurate term for something medical and he mocked me before he yelled at me in a condescending manner.After he did my mom's colonoscopy...he didn't know I was in the waiting room within earshot. Heard him say laughingly on the phone..."I should tell her daughter she has cancer.''Nuff said. Despicable excuse for a human being, let alone a doctor.

January 8th, 2012
Bad experience
First off, I do want to say that I think he is a good doctor, but he treated me horribly as I was his last customer and it felt like he wanted to leave for the day. I am grateful for him doing a colonoscopy on my father, and finding his colon cancer, and recommending a surgeon that removed the cancer, and grateful that my dad is cancer free. For that reason, I cannot say that he is a bad doctor, however I felt terribly discriminated because of my age, and felt that he was incredibly insensitive to my pain and the fact that my dad is a recent cancer surviver. I drove an hour and a half to see this doctor, the lady who made the appointment left me a phone message saying that my appointment was on this specific day and time, when I came in and she told me it was a different time, yes I was annoyed, and brought it to her attention that I had a voice mail saying that I was to come in at this time, she was rude and insisted I was wrong, even if I was annoyed with her, I was in terrible pain and distress. For the past year I have been suffering with anal fissures, anal skin tags, hemmerhoids, and terrible gas. When I eat food it feels like I have to burp and I can't there is pressure on my upper abdomen, and sometimes it feels like I can't swallow. I went to another doctor who mentioned that I see a specialist because of my dad's colon cancer, family history my great aunt also had it, and she mentioned that I may have colitis. Before, I continue let me mention that I have had Humana insurance, and they told me that I was not going to be covered past a certain date. Another reason perhaps why I was treated so horribly. So I was asked to fill out the form and I did so honestly, I suffer from allergies and have been tested allergic to many foods, and had been hospitalized for this, I have slight asthma and I also suffer from anxiety. I had never been diagnosed formally with anxiety, as I had for allergies, but I put it down, because I was being honest. So I wait over an hour, and the first thing he says to me was you were rude to my girl, referring to the office girl. Than he looks at my chart and laughs at me and says 27 and you have all these health problems? I felt so embarrassed and hurt, I had driven an hour and a half to see this doctor, I had been suffering with the anal fissures that have progressively gotten worse and with stomach issues for awhile. It took a lot for me to see a doctor, even if I was rude to the girl, I would say I was just annoyed, I was suffering. So I told him my symptoms, and he laughed, didn't in my opinion formally examine me, and told me that I needed more fiber in my diet. My mother was with me, and said don't you want to look at her behind, as I have multiple anal tags, he said ok and seemed extremely annoyed. He said oh she has skin tags and than he said are we done now? I said that I had problem swallowing food, and explained that about a month ago, I had choked on a piece of rice. He then seemed really annoyed and started badgering me. He said it's impossible you can't choke on rice, you have anxiety, you were just having an anxiety attack. I told him, no I was choking I remember choking for a minute, and me and my boyfriend saw the piece of rice that flew out of my mouth. He said that there was something wrong with me for being argumentative, at least he didn't charge for my visit, because I said that I didn't feel like I was examined. But this doesn't change the pain and humiliation I had to endure. I still haven't been able to see another doctor, because of financial burdens. Yes I have my occasional anxiety attack, but clearly the anal tags, fissures, and blood in my stool is not anxiety. I had a nurse tell me I needed a colonoscopy because of family history. Believe me, I don't want anything to be wrong with me, and I hope it's just gas, but since this visit, I have continued to suffer, I feel like something is wrong whether, it's colitis, and ulcer I don't know. I hope it's nothing, yes I am young, but I didn't deserve this type of treatment. I truly feel that I wasn't given a proper examination, and even though I wasn't charged for the visit, it doesn't take back my time, humiliation, and agony that I continue to have, as I still worry on the back of my mind. My main worry is for my father, but I still need to take care of myself. If something is wrong, and he didn't give me the proper treatment, how can he fix that? Again, I am grateful to him, saving my father's life! He is a good doctor, but maybe he is a personal friend of the receptionist, maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know, but I was treated like GARBAGE!