Overall Review

2.8

November 1st, 2016
101danes.com
Excellent doctor, top in his field. Went from suffering through life daily to being able to go out and do a lot of things i used to do. Travel from Virginia to Philly to see him, best choice i ever made. All others not even close to his knowledge and expertise.

June 16th, 2016
The Absent Minded Professor
This guy (wouldn't even call him a doctor) is from out of space! He always is saying give me your symptoms but don't give me too many. He never reads any reports that you send him or any other reports that any of your other doctors send him. He doesn't like questions asked. He is too busy typing on his computer and doesn't like to look at you or doesn't like to listen to you. I went to him - had some tests done - I am worse now then before I started seeing him. He doesn't remember much. I had to supply all of my paperwork to him, which he already had and didn't bother to look at it. And if you ask him more than he can handle, he says if you want me to treat you - no more questions. What kind of quack is this? I've been to several GI doctors - and he is the worse. I was recommended by another GI doctor to go to him (some GI doctors don't know him at all). Wait until I go back to my GI doctor and let him know what kind of quack this guy is.

January 23rd, 2016
I have been seeing Dr. Parkman for over two years now. I have know real complaint. I don't understand why there is such a fuss about him. I have the Gastric stimulator from him. I also have the J tube and G tube. Together the three have helped my Gastroparesis issues not cured but have helped it very much I would be at a loss with out him. Remember there is no cure for it.

January 27th, 2014
not interested
He is an academic, but is so caught up in it, he doesn't have the time or interest to treat you.

December 24th, 2013
Horrific Physician
This Doctor is arrogant and condescending. Doesn't respond to phone calls or emails. Doesn't answer questions or have a conversation. Won't even call back my pharmacy when they questioned medication. You have to schedule your own procedures and follow up appointments with Dr. Staff refuses to coordinate, says it's too much work. He is rude and unprofessional. Takes weeks to get prescriptions for treatment. He absolutely disgusts me . Why is he a Dr if he has utter disdain for his patients?

July 10th, 2012
Dr Parkman is caring and excellent
Doctors are not God and they cannot cure all illnesses. The reason tests are run , even when they were run at other institutions, is to diagnose whatever problems have been brought to Dr. Parkman. Dr. Parkman's aim is to find a correct diagnosis, and put together a workable solution for the patient.I have found that in meeting with Dr. Parkman, he will discuss test results and next steps as well. The greatest thing about Dr. Parkman is his great knowledge about rare diseases, one of the reasons people come to Temple from all over the country, bringing their gastrointestinal problems to his attention in the hope that he can find some solution for them.Temple University is a teaching hospital. The benefit of such a place is that the students are being presented with the most cutting edge knowledge in the field. Thus, a student often comes into the room to speak with the patient. Far from being a problem, this is a benefit, as this offers an opportunity for another mind to be brought to the patient's problem. In all cases, all members of the faculty have the patient's file with test rests,.But in many cases, Dr. Parkman's diagnosis requires hand in hand cooperation on the part of the patient. There are many diagnoses in which dietary issues must be observed for our lives to be improved - this is no matter how unhappy we may be with a diagnosis like gasroporesis or celiac disease, both having no cures. But we come to Dr. Parkman to get the correct diagnosis and find the correct next step to live our lives without continuing to suffer.In sum, it was a superior experience. I know it was good and I know the difference.

September 7th, 2011
Worst ever!
During one visit he kept interrupting me to answer his cell phone. He recommended that I have another colonoscopy and EGD even though I had just had them done by another doctor less than 3 months ago. When I came in for the procedures, I had a fever and terrible abdominal pain but the procedures were done anyway. I was told it were going to be done under MAC anesthesia but it was done under conscious sedation so I was AWAKE and I REMEMBER everything. I cried so bad and I was so uncomfortable that they finally had to stop the colonoscopy. Who sticks a tube down someones throat and up their bum while their awake and aware of everything?? It was sadistic!Dr Parkman came to the recovery room afterwards and said I would need to come back for another colonoscopy because the procedure couldn't be completed - NO THANK YOU! I was sent home in worse pain and was never given anything for it. I was nauseous and I still had a fever. Over the next couple days I continued to get worse. I had to be admitted to the hospital with diverticulitis! I never went back to Dr Parkman.

June 16th, 2011
Find yourself a different doctor
If you're in the care of Temple's motility center chances are you need a specialist. I urge URGE you to find a different one. I was lucky enough to see Temple's Dr. Richter (Parkman's boss) first and form a relationship with him first before he chose to move me to Parkman due to their specialties. I can honestly say if it wasn't for that relationship I would have never gotten anywhere with this doctor. First he ordered blood work without a diagnosis code leading to an $800 bill. Then on the follow up visit they had to hunt down the results of the blood work from four weeks earlier which he had never looked at. Despite repeated calls to find out the results of a test he never got back to me. We also attempted to have him release the records to Mayo Clinic which he didn't do. It wasn't until we went about him to Richter that Parkman finally called. Even when he did, he needed me to "remind him of my symptoms" and "remind him what the new drugs he gave me were."If you're at this point, chances are you are suffering. Don't make yourself suffer further under the (lack of) care by Dr. Parkman.

May 8th, 2011
Uncaring Doctor
I had serious abdominal pain . He doesn't make it a priority to return patients calls , If it wasn't for Joan I don't know what I've of done . Post follow up visits are always 2 months regardless of the nature and seriousness of your issues ! I had to drive down to Temple ( an hour and a half drive) To the GI unit to be told Dr Parkman wasn't in ! . I walked in went down the hall all of the receptionists and nurses warning me ! found him at his desk! he was so surprised he jumped , I knew he'd be there!!! What unethical coward liars!

December 10th, 2010
Didn't seem interested
I went to Dr. Parkman for a week of tests. I only saw him for 15 minutes and during that time, he left once to talk to his assistant about another patient, and he took a call and discussed another patient while I was in there. I tried to get test results by calling the office every other day for almost a month before he called me. My followup visit was 1 1/2 months after my initial test. He had me get bloodwork that day, and again... I called every few days for a month before I got the results from his assistant. When I asked questions, she said she didnt know because she can't read it, she is just telling me that it's normal. I told her that the medication he prescribed me is making me sick & she said she would have him call me. That was a month ago. So, I am not going back. Since he is a specialist, I am sure he's a good doctor and maybe if you have really big problems and have no choice but to go to Temple, he would be knowledgeable enough to diagnose your problem. But I am at Square One, and trying to find a local GI doctor, hoping he/she can get the tests results and answer some questions for me.

May 31st, 2010
Maybe a Good Researcher -- But A Terrible Clinician
Dr. Parkman may be a highly published, highly regarded research expert in several areas of gastroenterology -- but as a clinician who, on a face-to-face basis, can help you feel better, he is abysmal. (1) He spends VERY little time in an actual appointment with you (under 10 mins.) I traveled several hundred miles each time I went to Temple Gastroenterology and never received more than 10 mins. with Dr. Parkman. I spoke with several other of his patients (including an R.N. who had also come to him from a great distance) who were going through certain tests side by side with me -- they all had similar experiences to mine.(2) He never even takes a complete history !! Didn't fully read reports I had provided to him, asked almost no questions of me, etc....(3) Doesn't answer your questions at all-- he either ignores you, acts like he didn't hear you, leaves the room, or mumbles something incomprehensible.(4) Isn't empathic, supportive, etc -- could care less about any pain you may be feeling -- this man basically acts like a total "space-cadet"...(5) Does not accurately report test results or follow up with you personally in any way.(6)My considered opinion is that one should: STAY AWAY FROM TEMPLE GASTROENTEROLOGY (Digestive Disease Dept.) -- They will run up your bill with duplicative and unneeded tests (or the wrong tests) just to try to generate fees -- while at the same time failing to provide concrete actual relief from your problems. They frequently rely on poorly trained non-senior residents to do the bulk of their work while the "real" "bigshot" doctors give you scant attention.The single worst G.I. doctor and Dept. I have been to.

January 13th, 2010
Dr. Parkman has been the only physician that has provided effective help and management of my problem.