Dr. Herbert Biel MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

January 22nd, 2016
Maintenance Suppervisor
He was so rude both times he did surgery ! He is still not able to stand up straight, thanks to u!!! Now we have to go through 2 more surgeries & I think u have the worst bedside manner ever!!! U r a rude person! Would never let u touch me or my husband ever again. We thought we could trust & believe in u & u sure have proved that wrong!!! Don't ever trust him, he is one of the worst. Surgeons I have ever seen!
Doctor's Response

Comments made 6 months after I left practice with no foundation or accuracy

October 12th, 2015
Where is he practicing now. I can not find him after He has performed back surgery for me

August 3rd, 2015
Very kind and gentle with me and seemed to really listen to my concerns.

July 19th, 2015
A decade of excellent treatment!
I’ve been completely satisfied with the relationship that Dr. Biel and I have developed over the years. He’s been the epitome of professional during my visits. I’m always tremendously impressed by his lucid explanations of my physical challenges (complications from fractures of three vertebrae), by his use of diagrams and models to assist in his explanations, by his thoughtful prognoses regarding vertebral degeneration, by his comprehensive descriptions of potential options for both immediate and long-term pain relief, and by his effective strategies for amelioration of underlying problems involving musculature. Dr. Biel can pack more useful information into a short office visit than can any other doctor I’ve ever consulted; being a busy man myself, I greatly appreciate that.

July 15th, 2015
Best Othopedic Surgeon Ever!
Dr. Biel has performed two surgeries for me, one on my back that another surgeon messed up and a second on my shoulder that was giving me a great deal of pain. Both of Dr. Biel's surgeries were successful and today at 78 years old I am down-hill skiing and white-water kayaking with no problems. This man is just plain awesome!

June 19th, 2015
Would recommend anytime
Dr Biel operated on me 4 different times. A very serious spinal problem in the neck that had to be dealt with; two back surgeries, one nine hours long; and a shoulder problem. I found him to be professional and competent. In fact I saw another orthopedic surgeon in another state today who was very complementary on the work that had been done on my neck as he reviewed a recent MRI. If I have to end up having more surgery, I may make the 1,000 mile trip to Indianapolis to let Dr Biel do the work.

May 14th, 2015
Go to another Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr Biel is dismissive and rude.

February 19th, 2015
I am very happy to give Dr. Biel an excellent rating of 5! After at least 10 years of excruciating back pain and 4 previous surgeries by another surgeon, I am 4 months out from my last surgery, performed by Dr. Biel. I had decided that I would not have one more surgery. However, I had 3 - 4 first person recommendations to see Dr. Biel and give him a chance to help me. He ordered all the right tests and showed all of them to me in his office. I could not believe some of the things I saw with my own eyes that were results of previous surgeries. Dr. Biel explained what he could do to help correct the very serious problems in my spine. My husband and I listened very carefully and believed I had to allow this doctor to try and help me. After two weeks in rehab I went home very unsure it was going to work. However, I began my exercises at home but was unable to walk like Dr. Biel recommended. Two months after my surgery and twice a day exercises as well as outpatient physical therapy I was still unsure it was going to work. As I continued with my routine I found there were small steps of progress each week. I was walking with a walker but in spite of the progress I felt I would never be able to give it up. When I saw Dr. Biel he seemed rather aloof and said I should be walking more. I did not have the opportunities I needed to walk as often as I should but I believed I had to keep trying as long as I could. By the end of three months after my surgery I was walking all the time with only a cane!!! My husband got me a classy pedometer and I started counting steps and recording them! Oh, and the pain!! Well, my pain is 95% less than it had been in 8 - 10 years!!! I do have a "drop foot" and I told Dr. Biel I wanted to give my exercises more time to correct it. He told me I should give a brace some time to help and gave me a prescription to get fitted for one. What am I going to do? I'm going to give the brace a chance!!! It turns out Dr. Biel was right about everything else!!! By the way, as for his "aloofness", I realize now that Dr. Biel is a surgeon that says what he has to say and gives both of us time to see if it's going to work and me time to gain some confidence in myself and in him. And it's kind of amusing how suddenly he became a man I could talk to and even try to "make him proud" of me. I'm 71 years old and was very nearly convinced my journey was not going to last as long as my Mom or my Dad's did (89 years). When my attitude changed and I began to trust Dr. Biel to know just what he was doing and what he was saying to me, I am feeling 100% better and believe that by the end of 2015 I will be walking much more and quite possibly without a cane! Do you need one of the very best orthopedic surgeons in the State of Indiana? I truly hope you will consider Dr. Herbert Biel! I am so thankful for the excellent recommendations I had received from people I knew. I do so wish I had started with him!!!!

November 8th, 2014
radiculopathy c-5-7 herniated cervical disk
I would absolutely tell others about him. He was very accurate and extremely timely about taking care of my issue. The staff both at the office and the hospital that are under his practice are AWESOME! He and the staff were always available and took the time to answer any questions. I was not even two weeks out my surgery and the results were spectacular. BRAVO, BRAVO :)

August 29th, 2014
Dr Biel
I amazed that this Dr is highly rated. No doubt! If he can falsify your records then off course he falsify his reviews. Online reviews, as we all know, can easily be mislead in rating. A Dr can easily have his friends and or relatives anonymously write good, bad and ugly, however, he/she wishes That said, in short, this Dr doesn't read patient history & records. When asked about in case of available online history, he blames the Community Hospital, the network system to which he belongs, computer system and management. He says, the computer system doesn't allow him to access. When asked why haven't their practice as a whole complains to upper management about the software. His exact words, they don't know care. In fact this Dr is the one who doesn't care. The software (Epic System) for his particular complain is bug free. To me he is not interested in the changing world as a whole, let alone the computer system. Rejection of adopting the changing world is the biggest drawback for professionals in any field, particularly in the field of science. In particular he has no knowledge of basics of treatment. For example, if you have had a partial tear in rotator cuff muscle and simultaneous clavicle fracture with no signs of nerve issue and you visit him with in next forty eight hours of your issue, he without looking into your records (CT Scans, X-rays,MRI, MRA) or checking you physically he will have his own X-rays taken (generates money for the practice) and worst the first thing he will ask you to go and have an EMG done which in my layman's term electromagnetic test for nerves. Why? No good Physician even outside of orthopedic specially would suggest that test: 1) because EMG is medically suggested only after couple weeks of your injury; 2) There is no evidence of nerve damage. May be he is getting kickbacks and or referrals from his EMG facility buddies. He doesn't remember or try to come up thoroughly on the patient's previous visit history thus making the patient go in circles. He is completely rude towards his patient and no empathy. On my first visit I gave him a second chance for the second visit but I may not be smart but common I am not that dumb either. Beside, but not giving any attention he leaves the office in less than one minute after seeing his patient and writes the progress report and problem list. To support this argument, his problem list contradicts with his progress report, at least in my case. I am boggled, that the system above him has not even felt this or if felt then they only care how good the practice is generating the revenue. They say the buck stops here/there. I say "The buck ignores everything. BTW, Dr Biel is associated with Community North at Clear Vista in Indianapolis. I have written the truth here, nothing more nothing less. Thank you Dr Biel, making me to bring out your true side.

December 23rd, 2013
Dr. BIEL is an amazing doctor he did my second back surgery he saved my life, went to see him recently due to still having alot of pain two years later and he is just amazing sent me for tests to find out problem he found out I couldn't get into see him till after first of year and he squeezed me before. I would highly recommened him to anyone I know , just a wonderful doctor.

October 13th, 2013
i am very glad that i have doctor biel as my surgeon , he is very prompt and very great as a doctor i would have no other surgeon