Surgical Specialist
600 Highland Ave
Rm H4750
Madison, WI 53792
(608) 263-7502
Locations and availability (1)

|  MIRP surgery (Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy  |  show details
Jul 10th, 2012

Dr. Chen performed a MIRP surgery on me. I had an unsuccessful parathyroid surgery in Phoenix, where the doctor operated for over 4 hours and could not find the bad parathyroid gland--and he really did not know what to do next. After extensive research of parathyroid surgeons all over the country, I went from Arizona to Madison for surgery by Dr. Chen. He and his nurse assistant Sarah, were absolutely the best. Dr. Chen successfully found and removed my parathyroid gland in a little over an hour. My surgery was at noon, and I was back in my hotel by a little after 3:00p.m.Great bedside manner, and absolutely at the top of his profession, at least when it comes to minimally invasive parathyroid surgery. If you have this problem, I'd suggest going to Dr. Chen. And Madison is a great place to visit. PS. I am from Wisconsin originally, and attended the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Chen operates out of the UW Medical School and Hospital.

|  Just visited Dr. Chen  |  show details
Jun 6th, 2012

I have had high blood calcium for over 6 years. I did research and was convinced it was parathyroid. The problem is my pth level never got high. After visiting 6 different dr.s and repeated blood tests and ultra sounds I went to Dr Chen he immediately recognized it was parathyroid and scheduled surgery for next month. Going through my records we even found where an ultrsound found the parathyroid and it was reported but the dr.s missed it. Everyone at the hospital was wonderful from the recptionist to people walking down the hall way. I can't wait for my surgery.

|  Re-operation for parathyroid  |  show details
Sep 10th, 2011

I am from Arizona, and had an unsuccessful parathyroid surgery. I then went to the internet in search of an expert. The three people who I considered were the doctor in Tampa who is most prolific on the internet, the doctor at UCLA who does this operation, and Dr. Chen. I chose Dr. Chen and the UW Hospital and Clinic. My surgery was successful. The surgery was scheduled for 11:45 a.m. It started a little before 12:00, and I was back in my hotel by 4:00 p.m. Everyone was great. As I told everyone I could, I have never been as satisfied with a personal service, or any service, as I was with Dr. Chen, his staff, and everyone at UW.My wife and I decided that if we ever have any other serious medical conditions, we will go to UW. Anyone needing parathyroid surgery, you should go to Dr. Chen. You will not regret it. Very easy to work with long distance. I am on medicare and Blue Cross, and so far, I have had $0 out of pocket. It's been two weeks now, and my calcium and Pth are normal. My pth number went from 200 to 27, within 5 minutes after surgery. My scar is only about a half inch, and he operated over the previous unsuccessful scar. I just can't say enough about Dr. Chen, his great bedside manner, professionalism, and the great staff at the hospital.

|  Very Best Physican and Surgeon Available  |  show details
Apr 21st, 2011

This doctor is a world-class physician and surgeon. You can put your trust in him knowing that you have the very best physician and surgeon available. I felt completely confident in his care.

|  show details
Mar 16th, 2011

My young son had Primary Hyperparathyroidism and we will be forever grateful to Dr. Herbert Chen who is an expert high volume parathyroid surgeon with successful experience operating on children with this rare endocrine disease. We knew through medical research that children have increased surgical complication rates compared to adults and that delays could result in increased bone loss and end organ damage.All diagnostic imaging done previously at other medical centres were unable to locate my son's adenoma. Dr. Chen was able to perform minimally invasive radio-guided surgery despite this and found a grape size tumor hidden behind the back of his thyroid and adjacent to his nerve. Dr. Chen also uses interoperative PTH testing at various time intervals following the removal of the diseased parathyroid gland to confirm the operations success and avoid further neck dissection prior to closing. During this difficult and stressful time for our family, Dr. Chen was both a patient and compassionate surgeon. We travelled a great distance and are so glad that we entrusted him with our sons surgery and medical care. Nurse Sarah also helped guide us through this process and was always willing to answer our questions. My son's surgery also included a night stay in the hospital which was important to us as parents with a sick child to ensure and monitor his medical care post operatively. Following my son's surgery he no longer requires his high blood pressure and no longer has chest pain. However, because this disease was untreated for so long he does need extra vitamin D and lots of tums which gives him the calcium that was drawn from his bones.If you have a child with Hyperparathyroidism don't wait for an adenoma to be located prior to surgery as this will probably never occur. Dr. Chen is extensively involved in medical research on Parathyroid Disease and has published many medical reports in well respected medical journals.

|  Total Thyroidectomy  |  show details
by Marcy on Feb 20th, 2010

I had a total thyroidectomy in December of 2009 and Dr Chen was amazing!!! My surgery turned out being far from a "routine" Thyroidectomy and Dr. Chen's expertise was extremely beneficial! I would highly recommend him to anyone needing any type of endoctrine/thyroid surgery! A rating in my book!! T