Dr. Herbert Gates III MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

July 14th, 2016
Wonderfull office
This is the best orthopedics office I have ever been at. The office staff is great and very welcoming. Got an injection in the shoulder and didn't even feel it.

May 23rd, 2016
appointment and abrupt bedside manners
I have never been able to get a "person" to answer the telephone. You're directed to leave a short message and your telephone number. Than-- you sit and wait for a return call in order to make an appointment. Dr. Gates also needs to improve his "bedside manners" and the time he actually spends with you before he says I'll be right back. He never returns , it's usually his nurse. I'm currently his patient. I have no complaints regarding my surgery. However; I will never have him operate on me again because of his abrupt bedside manners. Too many excellent orthro doctors in Naples.

August 28th, 2015
Office is like a mass production factory. I have been to this office several times. Each time my impression has been the same. Dr. Gates is more interested in giving a quick diagnosis and moving on to the next patient.

June 29th, 2015
Patient
Dr. Gates level of experience and quality of medical treatments to me ranks at the highest level . I have many years of medical/hospital experience and I would highly recommend Dr. Gates and his complete management of your surgery and follow up treatment.Dr. Gates is a fabulous surgeon.

January 23rd, 2015
Several of my familiy members have needed to see Dr Gates. With my daughter we used him as a second opinion when the original ortho did surgery on her arm. His expertise is the hand, but he will see elbow, or shoulder patients. There is usually a wait but it's worth it when you are going to see the top doctor in his field!

October 27th, 2014
pinched ulnar nerve
Saw Gates after doing lots of research on surgeons in Naples for the ulnar nerve. Was impersonal durimg first visit as well as not worried that I had loss feeling in hand. Ended up having surgery with him and he did not complete right. Woke up in incredible amount of pain. Had to have arm recasted less than a week later due to my error. Staff wrapped it incorrectly causing even more pain. Called him on a Saturday because the pain was horrible and he met me at the office and wanted to know why I wanted the arm casted differently. He recasted and it minimized my pain until the cast was taken off in qnother week. Afterwards even more pain and he simply stated I couldnt tollerate pain and tried to send me to a pain management clinic. Less than a week later contacted another dr from Ohio who had operated on my other arm for the same condition and he immediately felt I needed a second opinion. 2nd opinion showed that I had a kink in the nerve that he was supposed to move under my muscle in my elbow area. Quickly made an appointment with my dr from ohio to get a consult and schedule surgery. When Ohio dr operated found he did not do the surgery that he stated he had done and created a bigger problem with nerve. After surgery woke up 100% pain free. Would not reccomend Gates to even an enemy. Butchered my arm over a year ago and still having issues from what he did.

March 6th, 2014
great service
Dr Gates' office & staff are extremely efficient, helpful & friendly. Everyone know my name & greets me every time I have an appointment. If staff person is dealing with an issue, she or he informs me that they are tied up & asks me if I can wait or take care of my issue at another time! Dr Gates is very informative re all aspects of my surgery & aftercare.

February 1st, 2014
Does not rush to do surgery.
I've has an elbow problem for several years almost insisted on him doing surgery, but with his none invasive program , i.e. injections, therapy and braces I'm doing great and have not needed any of the above for over a year. Thanks Dr. Gates!

April 10th, 2013
Poor bedside manner
I was sent to Gates by my work's insurance for an injured thumb. My initial reception was courteous enough, but I was being helped by a newly hired receptionist. After some xrays and a bit of a wait Gates comes into my room and announces in a disappointed tone that I would not need surgery. His body language and tone throughout my entire conversation with him was dismissive and in some cases insulting. He gave a terse description of what he guessed was wrong with my thumb and tried to leave. I felt like I was fighting with him to get a better explanation. The worst part of my visit was when I asked for something to help mitigate the pain that would not interact negatively with another medication I was taking. He asked me, "what do you want?" I told him I don't know anything about medications, and he asked me again, "so what do you want?" I tried to make it clear I did not know. I just needed something that would reduce the pain enough so I could keep working. During this conversation he had been edging towards the door. Finally he wrote a script which ended up making me severely nauseous. When I called a few days later to try and have it changed I was told there was no way they'd write me a new prescription and to take OTC. Basically at that I said OTC hadn't helped and was told too bad. I don't remember the names of the office workers I had spoken with so I will not attest to the staff's attitudes in general. As to Gates, I can say with all certainty that he showed no interest in my health or well being. I have tried to describe only my observable interactions. I used opinionated text in some cases for the sake of brevity. Please consider those sections as a generalized description of his specific actions.

March 25th, 2013
Dupuytren's COntracture
Dr. Gates treated me for Dupuytrens" Contracture and I am very happy with the result.

February 13th, 2013
Elbow surgery
Dr. Gates and his entire staff gave me excellent care every step of the way from diagnosis of my severe elbow fracture, to surgery, to extensive follow up and physical rehab recovery procedure. They gained and kept my trust in their treatment, answered all my questions, offered guidance when needed, and gave me confidence in my recovery. Thanks to their professional care and concern we have achieved full recovery of my elbow and arm.

September 13th, 2012
Nice and competent
Dr. Gates and his staff are nice and know what they are doing. I don't want to keep visiting any doctor, but actually look forward to seeing those nice folks again!