inactive

Holger E Skerhut MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

March 31st, 2016
Surgery
Dr. Skerhut perform a phenomenal surgery, I was very pleased with my outcome, no more symptoms that I experienced before the surgery. He listen to the issues of my concern.

March 30th, 2016
neuro-surgeon
Did my back surgery in 1999, I was back to work within two weeks. Wonderful doctor!!!

September 16th, 2015
I was referred to Dr. Skurhut for an evaluation following an MRI that revealed a congenital defect in my lumbar spine . Unfortunately, I was referred to him because my insurance (Medicaid) is not accepted by the surgeons in SA with any noterity. At my first appt he told me my condition was spondylothesis and that I needed surgery to have any pain relief. The visit was basic-no information on what procedures he would be performing, what my outcome would be (ie; range of motion limitations,etc.), nor did he tell me what his experience has been with other alike pts and their success. My surgery was scheduled for two weeks later with a pre-op visit the day before surgery. My husband was waiting in the waiting area that day and I told him what was going to be done but that I didn't have a very informative visit and thought maybe that is what the pre-op visit was for. When I returned for my visit, I had my husband come to the room with me in case I missed any important instructions or information I THOUGHT I was going to hear. Dr. Skurhut looked in my ears, listened to breath sounds, and then left the room to ask his staff if he could obtain my past MRI'S from an imaging center on his computer that he had already told me during the first visit that he would need to review due to the fact I have an underlying defect on my spinal cord which could be of significance during or after surgery depending on its location. I was very anxious at this point because I felt totally uninformed on a surgery I had been dreaming of since my condition has caused such dibilitating pain. He also had told me during my first visit that all his patients stay in the hospital a minimum of four days on a PC pump for pain control and when I asked him for confirmation of that he said, "No, you could stop breathing." He stated he would give me a 24 hr Morphine shot before I woke up. This was surprising to me that he would change his treatment plan not knowing my pain level yet. I voiced my concern about pain to his staff, because after that question he quickly retreated to his office, and they said I could ask the hospital internist for a Percocet if I needed one over the weekend and then they handed me my post-op script for xanaflex,Tylenol 3, and Motrin. I am assuming he wouldn't be back to see me. Also, he never asked what worked for me due to the fact I already take a different muscle relaxer. Another thing he said threw me for a loop was when I asked him quickly if he would be able to fix my facet joints and his reply choked me..."You don't need them I'm going to take them out but you won't be able to move your hips...and then he was gone. As we left, my husband, who is always the voice of reason and always comforts me when I feel approhensive about something, said to me " You will not have surgery by this man." I came home and did research I should have done two was prior and found this site. I couldn't be more thankful to all of you who took the time to share your experience. I would have made a very poor decision out of desperation to rid myself of this pain. I am so grateful to all of you and wish you all luck with your recovery and hope you find peace and gain a quality of life you deserve.This man has no regard for his patients well-being and doesn't care if his pts are informed or uninformed. Also, I don't take pain meds at this time and haven't in three yrs so what is his deal with not giving appropriate post-operative pain meds in the hospital? That terrified me...the thought of waking up from surgery not having a PRN order for pain meds if I needed. I get anxious going to bed now knowing the pain I deal with every morning after laying down due to my condition, I sure don't want to wake up after a knife has butchered my back and not have the option to ask for pain meds....Scary!

August 28th, 2015
mr
This guy is a quack, very rude and no compassion for the patient, he does not deserve to be called a Dr... BUTCHER is a more correct title. he did my ACDF and totally screwed me up and then had the nerve to tell my wife that the terrible pain i was having was "all in my head".. he left me totally disabled. kinda wish i new The Sopranos

November 13th, 2013
Absolutely The BEST!!!!
I was referred to Dr. Skerhut by my PCP for on going neck and shoulder pain. Dr. Skerhut explained my diagnoses and my treatment options; I felt completely at ease and well taken care of. Dr. Skerhut's staff was very considerate and understanding of my apprehensions. Since undergoing an ACDF I have been pain free and have been able to resume my daily activities. I would recommend Dr. Skerhut to anyone in need of spinal surgery!!!!

February 21st, 2013
Excellent Treatment
Being new to this area I was unable to use the neurosurgeon that had performed previous surgeries on me. I found Dr. Skerhut and found his office staff excellent. Friendly and very knowledgeable. The doctor was very friendly, spent time to discuss my problem and described the surgery he would perform. The surgery went well and I am sure I will make a great recovery. I would give my recommendation for his services to anyone and wouldn't hesitate to call upon him again should the need arise.

November 12th, 2012
In My Best Interest
Dr. Skerhut has been outstanding in my care. He took the time to explain the most likely scenario and the best/worst case scenarios of my condition. He also explained why we were going to do one procedure over the other and exactly what was going to happen. He made us feel very comfortable with having a cranitomy, not an easy task.

September 30th, 2012
Dr. Skerhut is wonderful!

September 17th, 2012
find another dr
I was misdiagnosed by dr skerhut an left disabled ,find another Dr.

August 3rd, 2012
Ha ha, funny to see how many negative comments are posted. What about the multitude of satisfied patients that unfortunately do not take the time to post their comments. I have been a long time patient of Dr. Skerhut's for many years due to my horrible spine, both neck and low back. I have sat in his office on multiple occasions listening to and seeing the great results he has done on his patient's. It has been amazing to hear their before and after stories. His frankness and humor is what has kept me trusting and going to him for years. If I was looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor I would go to my GP. Up to this point I am very pleased with Dr Skerhut and his staff and feel all the negative comments are probably from patient's seeking more than just a clear cut diagnosis and treatment. I would highly recommend Dr Skerhut as a neurosurgeon.

March 19th, 2012
Back problems
I was having a lot of back pain with pain going down my leg. It had become unberable and incapacitating. I had heard of a new procedure called The Aspen. Apparently there are only a few doctors in town that perform this procedure. Dr. Skerhut was one of them. His office was very professional and his office staff very friendly and helpful. Luckily I was a candidate for this procedure and he was able to accomodate me within two weeks for surgery. Today I am able to walk with no pain and perform most of the physical activies I did prior to my condition. I would recommend this procedure as well Dr. Holger Skerhut.

April 11th, 2011
Very Pleased.
Surprised at the negative reviews I read. Besides for the slight wait I had a very informative and helpful office visit. He took the time to answer all the questions I had for him and made me feel very comfortable in deciding to proceed with the neck fusion I urgently needed to undergo. After the surgery his office staff was very comforting and took the time to address the concerns I had after surgery. I had heard a lot about the type of surgery I needed to have done from my friends and was very nervous. Afterwards I had little if any pain and was extremely pleased with the results. Today I am still doing great and am back to work full time with no problems. Dr. Skerhut was an excellent surgeon and I was very pleased with my referral to his office. I would highly recommend him.