Some ratings provided by DrScore.
May 14th, 2016

I saw Dr Gilmer and was not impressed. I waited two hours for doctor to visit with me for a "15" minute consulation. She is polite but doesn't look at you while explaining things. Dr Gilmer also didn't write in progress note the exact things she told me to my primary doctor. Strange. She is really quick to decide surgery without other testing. The office staff are terrible. Papers get faxed in and EASILY lost. Kim, a medical assistant, rudely interrupted my appt with doctor and says to me "did you get a referral to Dr Gilmer or did you find her online??"..extremely unprofessional. Then when I called her in regards to my insurance, Kim NEVER returned my call..2x. Debra deals with insurance aspects and is also unprofessional and rude. She hung up on me before and left me a shady voicemail in regards to returning her call. The whole experience at this office was terrible. Very glad I found a new neurosurgeon who is extremely compassionate, caring, and his bedside manner is fantastic. I met with him twice to decide if surgery was necessary after other testing took place. The staff at his office are out of this world with being professional and friendly. I also have to be cleared by OPAC- anesthesiologist- before surgery. That is comforting. I have confidence in my surgical team and I know waiting for another opinion was meant to be.

a week-long post-surgery headache show details a week-long post-surgery headache
Nov 8th, 2015

I went to see dr gilmer and was quickly told that i was fine and nothing was wrong--turns out i wasnt, but i had to make an angry phone call for her to admit it. So she did the surgery and proceeded to change the setting of a valve in my head to the wrong setting bc her surgical notes from before said to put it at a certain number (130). The problem is that last time i saw her she bumped it from 130 to 160. When i called her out on it she laughed it off saying we'd worry about it at the post-op appt. All in all very good at treating adults like clueless children and an ok surgeon. Not great, just ok.

This Doctor had sterling reviews show details This Doctor had sterling reviews
by Alex on May 11th, 2015

I chose to see this Doctor because she had amazing reviews, and I know people who have worked with her whom have told me she is a great Doctor. I haven't seen it. I was told she was incredibly thorough, but its hard to be when you only spend 5 minutes with a patient. It seems as if she completely writes off me and the pain I am in every time I see her. Twice now she has confirmed appointments for me, but didn't actually schedule them. The first for spinal taps, and now for my surgery. And if you call her office its a battle just to get a hold of a person, let alone someone who knows what they are talking about. I will be finding a new Neurosurgeon.

This Doctor had sterling reviews show details This Doctor had sterling reviews
by Alex on May 11th, 2015

Mar 11th, 2015

Dr Gilmer is the best,I am so thankful to her. Highly recommend!

Mar 3rd, 2015

Dr. Gilmer has saved my life a few times now. She is a busy, busy woman, so sometimes I find myself waiting awhile for her, but she is so well worth the wait. She has performed over 30 surgeries on me and recently diagnosed me after I spent several years with doctor's throwing me into physical therapy, making my symptoms or basically telling me I was nuts. I would never put my life or my brain into someone else's hands. Not only is she a fantastic surgeon, she always had complete faith in my ability to recover and life a normal, active life. Even when I had lost hope it was possible myself.

Feb 26th, 2015

Amazing care for the past 12 years, Chiari Malformation. Amazing bedside manner, like a mother!

Mom show details Mom
by Michelle D. on Nov 20th, 2014

After 14 years of my daughter suffering from various unknown illnesses, delays, hospitalizations and neurological symptoms, ONE appointment with Dr. Gilmer gave us answers to 14 years of unanswered questions. A new friend, from Texas, explained that my daughters symptoms sound like something known as Chiari Malformation and we should take her to Dr. Holly Gilmer in Michigan. Ironically, someone from TX is recommending one of the best neurosurgeons to us, not realizing we live in SW Michigan. Why didn't the hospital neurologists recommend this a year ago when they couldn't give us any answers? Dr. Gilmer looked at the MRI from a year ago until said she didn't have Chiari. I was shocked and almost frustrated until she said, "She has a tethered spinal cord." Wait a minute, I was confused because we didn't have any images of her spinal cord? Of course it needed to be confirmed so we were sent for 3 MRI's the very SAME DAY. Two days later we were called to confirm the results and get the ball rolling. Yes, she is THAT GOOD! Surgery is in 4 weeks and I am expecting nothing but an excellent post op experience and feel confident going into this, that my daughter is in great hands.

She saved my son's life. show details She saved my son's life.
Nov 20th, 2012

My son was airlifted to Children's Hospital, dying from a brain bleed suffered in a fall. Dr. Gilmer-Hill performed the surgery that saved his life. Her daily visits post-surgery were a source of hope and encouragement. My son has been returned to good health due to the skill and compassion of Dr. Gilmer-Hill.

Brilliant show details Brilliant
Jul 9th, 2012

She came in and diagnosed me when three other doctors were going to send me home with more pain pills. She is brilliant and she took initiative and i had surgery the very next day. I will forever be appreciative

Grandmother show details Grandmother
Jun 22nd, 2012

Dr. Gilmer-Hill removed a bullet from my grandson's head when another doctor said all he could do was make him comfortable. In addition to being a skilled surgeon, she was very humble, and caring in our time of need. I will be forever grateful for what she did for my family.

outstanding doctor show details outstanding doctor
Apr 1st, 2012

dr Gilmer is the most outstanding doctor i have ever meet,kind,very informative,very professional,great person,and good looking she is the whole package,it doesnt get any better!!

Sep 28th, 2009

Excellent Dr. I would HIGHLY recommend her for anyone that has children. She was very reassuring, caring and honest. I respect her highly.

by Senda family on Nov 7th, 2008

My daughter was 3 months old when she had surgery for her closed softspot. Dr. Gilmer-Hill was great! She took the time to explain everything so that we could understand what was going on. That was 6 years ago and my daughter's head shape is wonderful! We had to drive 4 hours to get to her office in Detroit but it was worth the drive.