Dr. Hong-Ru Chen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0

July 14th, 2016
Worst Doctor Ever - Dr. Hong-Ru Chen
Dr. Chen is a HORRIBLE doctor, and if you are considering being a new patient of hers I would advise against it. If you are an existing patient, and have not experienced her terrible services, then it will only be a matter of time. Trust. And do your research, read the reviews (!), there is a pattern in the way she treats her patients that results in people like me wanting/needin to find a new doctor! I am thankful that she had not delivered any of my past babies and will not be delivering any future babies of mine! Front office staff is okay - nice, quiet - but they don't seem happy to be working there. It's almost as if they are scared to do anything wrong, for fear of getting scolded like her patients. The office is outdated, super plain in drab brown (nothing welcoming, no family-oriented decor) and it definitely has a strong urine smell as you walk in. Visit Dr. Chen's office on the 5th floor of Kapiolani Medical Center to see for yourself! Dr. Chen is rude, condescending (she scolds you like you are a 5 year old! she talks down to you!...because she is the only perfect one, right?!), she is not personable, she doesn’t spend quality time with her patients (average 5-7 minutes per patient, if even that), and she definitely treats her practice as a regimented business where she just cares about making money by spending the least amount of time with patients. Dr. Chen has no personality and does not know how to relate to her patients in a caring, patient, kind way that you would think a Obstetrician/Gynecologist would! In her line of work, you expect doctors to form a great relationship with their patients, especially with all the poking, prodding, and even delivering of a baby that they might be doing. Instead, she spends less than 7 minutes consulting with you - while you have already waited at least 40 minutes in the waiting-room! And when you start asking her questions about your own health she gets very antsy, and she makes you feel as if you are wasting her time, and she starts making her way out of the room while you are talking to her!! This recently happened to me this week - I went in for my two-week follow-up after getting an implant in my arm (birth control). Dr. Chen walked in, looked at my arm, said everything looked good, and started walking out - all that within 3-minutes! Literally! I had questions (about the scar, about the bruising and slight "achey-ness" in that arm, and about the way it felt - bumpy, instead of smooth and straight) and she was really impatient and kept telling me that I needed to stop playing with it. What? I was only feeling it in front of her so I could explain what I was meaning and feeling. She said a few other awful things before walking out. By that time, a total of 5 minutes had gone by, which was the total time she saw me, and which included the questions I had for her! I let her and her staff know how awful I felt being treated that way, even went to meet with her in her office because I was so disappointed and angry for the way she had treated me. I told her how rude she was and how condescending she is to her patients. I felt so good to tell her the TRUTH about her practice! God-awful doctor!! This is "time" that I actually pay for, though! On numerous occasions she has seen me for about 5 minutes - just to basically do the exam (press on my tummy, do the smears, etc.), and that's it! Very rarely any conversation - basic conversation. If it has nothing to do with medical, she doesn't talk about it and she doesn't want you to even talk about it. Basically an in-out-as-fast-as-she-can type of setting, so she can sit in her office for the next 25 minutes doing all her paperwork/logs before she sees the next patient for 5 minutes. She has no tact, she can't relate to people on a personal level, she is condescending (talks to you like you are a child...doesn't trust what you tell her...is skeptical of what you are saying (even after I've been through childbirth on 3 occasions! and had way better doctors than her!)), and she will never apologize for anything (from being a little late seeing you, to poking and prodding you in ways that left you bruised and bleeding). I was a patient of Dr. Rosemarie Chang, before she retired a few years ago (around 2013). Dr. Chang was the best doctor - she was caring, patient, and she made you feel like she wanted to be a part of your life (delivering your children, taking care of your personal women's health needs). The ONLY reason I stayed as a patient even after Dr. Chang retired was because the office already had my medical records and I was quite familiar with the location (and convenient to get to from where I live). I truly should have left Dr. Chen's office after the first few horrible/cold visitations there! I would definitely NOT recommend anyone going there! (Unless you like having a cold, rude doctor poking and prodding you and possibily even delivering your babies!)

December 27th, 2014
Worse Obgyn Ever
Do not go to Dr. Chen!

August 27th, 2014
Not so Good
First of all, I have never met this Doctor she was a referral, I get to her office she makes me wait 35 min to see her. Her office is clean, however, she has no tact, bad approach, she jumps to conclusions on her diagnosis, wants you to go through expensive test and doesn't listen to the patient. If you are reading this review, please look for another doctor. Trust me! I do not plan to recommend her or go back to her myself.