Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  Post production  |  show details
by Metin Yigit on Oct 8th, 2014

The most surprising aspect of my surgery was how clean Dr. Melamed operated. I've had no swelling, inflammation or any of the side effects I've read about prior to surgery. I came to the conclusion this was in part because Dr. Melamed is one of these people who are really into what they are doing and they can not imagine doing anything else. Even in our first meeting I get the impression he was realistic and confident in his abilities. In final analysis I feel lucky and fortunate that I choose to go with him.

|  Major Back Surgery including fusions and a small rod.  |  show details
by Rose Sykes on Sep 12th, 2014

Before my surgery I could barely walk. It felt like someone kicked in my tail bone. After surgery and recovery it's completely different!! I don't feel that pain anymore, just occasional aching. Mostly due to the weather.

|  Dr. Melamed is a professional doctor and a caring human being  |  show details
by Homayoun J. on Jun 16th, 2014

Dr. Melamed is one of the best doctors I've ever known. After having a few consultations with other surgeons, most of which had recommended in undergoing an invasive procedure for getting a fusion on my L4-L5. Dr. Melamed was recommended to me as a last resort prior to having the fusion procedure done. After reviewing my medical records, MRIs and etc. he offered me his opinion, which differed from the ones I had until then. He took his time in explaining the discectomy procedure as being a minimally invasive procedure, which would relieve the pressure form the nerves causing me a huge agony. In comparison to fusion, I didn't have much to think about, specially his personality and level of care I saw as a decent human caused me to build enough trust to go forth with the procedure he recommended, to this day I'm happy with the decision I made, as from the moment I opened my eyes after the procedure, felt no pain and am grateful for his professionalism and care he had extended to me.

|  Dr. M is a wonderful Doctor, Surgeon & Human  |  show details
by Susan Strutz on Jun 5th, 2014

Dr. Melamed is an amazing Dr, Surgeon & human. After being diagnosed with a bulging disc & 3 injections I was referred to two surgeons. I went to the 1st Dr. who kept me waiting over an hour (I got a parking ticket), his PT examined & spk with me, then the Dr came in & asked what my problem was, I asked if he read the MRI, he was very arrogant & spent maybe 4 minutes with me & suggested all these bogus test & surgery. I then made an apt with DR MELAMED, he was friendly, sympathic to my pain, informative & treated me with concern & respect. He took the time to explain my issues & showed me my MRI & Xrays, he also showed me another patient's MRI & Xrays he treated with a similar issue & said it was very common & could do the surgery blind folded. So I scheduled the surgery. His surgery center was great, the staff was caring & professional. The end result of this is that I have no more pain. Last Mother's day I went for a message with my Sister-in-Law & the next day I couldn't move. I called Dr. M & he sent me for an MRI the next day & saw me after, I had a herniated disc!! That same week he fixed it & a few days later I had a 2nd herniated disc which was on my ganglia nerve, so painful I went to the emergency room! Once again Dr. M saved the day!! Thank you Dr. M. Oh, one more thing, at my first post-op my Husband asked Dr. M if he treated necks, Dr. M then started examining my husband & sent him for an MRI can you imagine a Dr taking the time to look at another patient during an exam? My experience has always been "Make an appointment". To make another long story short, he fixed my Husbands neck as well, so we had 4 surgeries in 2 years. We Love Love Love Love Dr. Melamed & highly recommend him.

|  ACDF by Dr. Melamed  |  show details
by Bob Kay on Jun 4th, 2014

Here is a doctor who cares, is totally professional, and is one who puts his patients first and spends quality time answering all questions.

|  Fantastic  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jun 1st, 2014

Dr Melamed has been a fantastic surgeon, already recommended other friends and family to his office; I would not recommend anybody else than Dr. Melamed! Great staff, easy scheduling and less than 15 minutes waiting time! Dr Melamed always answers any questions I might have on my condition!

|  I only wish I'd seen him earlier!  |  show details
by Kurt S. on May 28th, 2014

In June 2013 I was involved in a high-speed motor vehicle accident, which injured both my back and neck. The first doctor I went to thought it was a bulging disk, and told me it was just arthritis, a symptom of my age. I went to another doctor for epidural shots, and also got physical therapy, which helped with the pain. My doctor said that full activity was ok, but once I returned to full activity I felt severe pain shooting from my back down into my right leg. This lasted for a few days, and no matter what I did I had this intense pain. Nothing helped. I went and saw the first doctor, which didn’t help. The doctor who gave me shots, Dr. Palencia, ordered an EMG and a new MRI, which showed that I had a severely herniated disk. He then referred me to Dr. Melamed. Talking to Dr. Melamed and his PA felt very comfortable for me. As we discussed different options I felt good about going into surgery with him. Even though I was apprehensive, because I had never had any surgeries before, all my questions were answered, and the surgery turned out well. I am extremely happy with the service and care that I got, and especially with the doctor’s willingness to sit and answer any questions I had.

|  I can't thank you enough  |  show details
by Perry on Apr 22nd, 2014

“I have lived in constant pain as long as i can remember due to a bad disc. The pain down my legs made walking more than 30 paces impossible. The operation that you performed ninety days ago has truly been a life changing event. I am totally pain free! My wife says my face is no longer pinched in pain. My coworkers say that i seem to have more patience. Unbelievable. I can’t thank you enough for the positive impact that you have had on my life.” - Perry

|  Unbelievable Doctor, Unbelievable Results  |  show details
by Jeremy Gibbs on Mar 22nd, 2014

Last February I was in the hospital, unable to walk after my back gave out. I'd been dealing with severe back problems for 20 years. Dr. Melamed came to my hospital room and told me that five years ago he may not have been able to help me, but that now, technological advances were such that he could safely fix my problem (spondylolisthesis with pars defect and degenerative disc disease). Although I'd never met the man before, I immediately had the impression that he was trustworthy, intelligent and kind. Nevertheless, I had my father (a Radiologist) consult with Dr. Melamed, and he gave me a positive second opinion. I agreed to have the surgery as these episodes were getting worse, and were having a huge negative impact on my life and limiting my ability to do the things I love. After I was released from the hospital I had a few more consultations with Dr. Melamed and his staff. They were awesome--extremely knowledgable and professional. My surgery date was set. On March 15, 2013 I had a 3-level fusion (L4-L5-S1) & double disc replacement. I remember coming out of surgery and Dr. Melamed telling me everything went perfectly. Now I won't lie--recovery from a surgery like that was no walk in the park, but I was surprised at how quickly I progressed. I also had excellent post-operative care, including home nursing and frequent follow-ups with Dr. Melamed and his Physician's Assistant, Michael. The day after the surgery I walked. A week later I drove. Two weeks later I was back at work. A month later I moved to Colorado, and Dr. Melamed and I would have phone consultations and he'd read my x-rays remotely. I received excellent care from 1,000 miles away. After a couple months in a walking brace, and a few months of physical therapy and taking it easy I was back to normal activity. It's now been a year, and for the past several months I've been on unrestricted activity. I now ski, run, lift weights, swim, and do all the things I love. The best part is, the pain is gone, as are the episodes of my back going out. I am so thankful that Dr. Melamed found me and was able to fix my back problems. He has changed my life. He is an amazing and talented doctor, who I would recommend to anyone suffering from spinal problems. I cannot speak highly enough of this brilliant surgeon and caring man, who has given me back so much. Thank you, Dr. Melamed! You are the best! -Jeremy

|  Dr. M is the BEST!  |  show details
by Stephen Stein on Mar 19th, 2014

I had all kinds of lower-back problems I had been wrestling with a back doctor for 2 1/2 years until it was clear surgery was necessary. Dr. Melamed was THE BEST in every way, and after my surgery, I have repeatedly shared with folks, "I'm the poster boy for this operation!"

|  Dr Hoonan Melemen..saved me.  |  show details
by mark messing on Mar 14th, 2014

ent Sent: Thu, Mar 13, 2014 3:34:12 PM I have a huge statement to make .Dr.Hoonan Melemen has done multiple surgeries on me I am almost crippled and will be probably in a short year or so because I have had serious problems I was one of his newer patient and used to feel that death was option until I felt the results of Dr melamen please get back to me I think this should be put on the table a very powerful word ARACHNOIDITIS and what is it all about I suffer from it greatly a volatile deadly painful nightmare lifestyle no medicine in the world and no amount can help me anymore I am ready to leave this planet but not untill my belief in God says so but I believe this is all because of dr Hoonan melemen's work that I'm still alive yes done several surgeries but cannot change the facts I contracted arachnoiditis somewhere with one of the surgeon because arachnoiditis is: entering the arachnoid the second lining of the spinal cord mine is inflamed the pain is beyond words . I believe the world would agree please get back to me I'd like to come on your show and tell my story.with this amazing Dr. I will be seeing the doctor after another cat scan but after hundreds of procedures I know the answer there is no help except for the fact that he was able to keep me from being in a wheelchair on and on for the last 19 years and able to walk still again please consider I love this dr I believe he saved my life in many different ways that I would like to explain to the world and the only way to do that is the exposure of the TV show I would want to bring my youngest son who sees the most my wife of 34 years my youngest daughter is 20 and sees just as much as we all live together in the same house three older children that are also a part of the upbringing of a person and my best friend And Body Guard."Big Mac" -Matt ...who have all been by my side...and who also have undergone such problems I was recently hit by a car well last April 2013 it has exacerbated and quite frankly really done more harm if you could possibly imagine more harm meaning after the last surgery June 29 2012 with dr melamed I have had 10 times the pain thank God I have wonderful pain doctors who also would do good to be on the show this word arachnoiditis is very serious and spreading quickly see the very procedures that doctors do entering the spinal canal do enter the Arachna the second lining of the spinal cord and brain I suffer from a tremendous amount of pain I have been to ...and back many times and I live this daily thank you for listening god bless you all sincerely mark messing 805 205 5414 Yahoo Mail on Android.

|  He's one of the best doctors  |  show details
by Al M on Mar 11th, 2014

“I think he's a fantastic doctor, he's a very nice, personable man. He did a great job on my lower back two years ago. He's one of the best doctors I've ever been to in my life. Right now I’m having a little bit of pain in my neck, maybe from arthritis. I’m going back to see him because everything he worked on in my lower back feels great, and I know I can trust him to do a great job on my neck too.” Al M.

|  A doctor worth bragging about  |  show details
by Richard I. on Mar 7th, 2014

My mother only speaks Spanish and so I always accompany her on her visits to Dr. Melamed. She just had surgery with him about six weeks ago and she is very thrilled and happy! She used to have trouble walking because of the pain in her back and leg, but now she is much better. The service, the outcome of the surgery, and the follow-ups with the doctor...all were very excellent. She's bragging to all her friends and showing Dr. Melamed's picture to them, she has the greatest respect and admiration for him.

|  Better Than Ever  |  show details
by Linda U. on Feb 26th, 2014

I feel like I can do so much more than ever before. Back before I had the surgery, I remember that when my husband and I went shopping, just taking a normal step off the curb sent pain down my legs and back. Dr. Melamed probably has a pair of wings hidden under his shirt, he’s terrific all around. I was scared about surgery, but when he explained my MRI to me, he was very comforting and made it easy for me to talk to him about my fears. He was so heartfelt, and I had such a feeling of trust in him that I couldn’t say no. Not every doctor goes that extra mile. After my surgery with Dr. Melamed last June, I just feel better overall, like I'm getting back to the feeling I had when I was 20. I’m still healing, and I have to be careful not to overdo it, but the surgery hasn’t restricted me from work, exercise, or anything else I do. I have the thrill of feeling better overall.

|  Dr. Hooman Melamed  |  show details
by Cher Sager on Nov 4th, 2013

I am writing this review because I feel Dr. Hooman Melamed is the best surgeon I have ever had! He is kind and gentle. He is a very caring doctor and lets you know everything he is going to do and explains it in great detail. I had my neck fused in September 2012 and he had explained everything to me. He came in to see me the day and the day after the surgery to check on me and he has been there when and if I had any questions. He did such a good job that I have total movement in my neck even though I have a plate and screws in there. If you need a doctor who is caring and a very talented surgeon then you need Doctor Melamed! If I ever need more surgery he is the only one I want working on me!

|  Happy Happy  |  show details
by Linda I Ulrey on Oct 28th, 2013

Everything was explained in detail, very pleasant person to talk to. The woek done is excellent. Doctor has real concern about doing the best work for his patients.

|  The Doctor That Saved My Life!!  |  show details
by Ronni R. on Oct 26th, 2013

Words fall short when trying to express my praise for Dr. Melamed. I came to him after having several prior cervical spine surgeries that produced less than desirable results. Due to these past surgeries my case was rather complex, yet from our very first consultation it became apparent that Dr. Melamed had the expertise to not only understand my case, but that his approach was different and obviously at the cutting edge of current surgical techniques. Dr. Melamed clearly explained the intricacies of his proposed surgery and included me in all necessary medical decisions. I realized I was in the very best medical hands and for these reasons had the faith to allow him to operate on me. It is obviously important to have the best possible doctor whenever going into a planned surgery, but it is crucial to have a superior doctor in the event that unforeseen events do occur. Dr. Melamed did an excellent job in surgery and the operation itself went smoothly, however, through no fault of his, I developed an unknowable post surgical complication unrelated to the actual orthopedic surgery. I had blood clots in my legs that traveled to my lungs. This was a life-threatening event and even though Dr. Melamed was not at the hospital when it occurred, he raced over and was there within a very short time. Dr. Melamed immediately took charge of the medical team that was assembled to help me, and without the slightest exaggeration, he saved my life! I cannot begin to express the gratitude I feel toward this incredible doctor. When I needed his medical expertise he was there, but this man went far and above all expectations when he visited me every day during my long hospital stay. His bedside manner is warm, assuring, and he had a great sense of humor that cheered me up during a most difficult time. The medical office itself is pristine and loaded with modern high tech equipment. No doctor is able to provide the superior level of medicine that Dr. Melamed does without a terrific support staff. It must be mentioned that the doctor’s Physician’s Assistant, Michael Olschansky, as well as his entire office staff, is phenomenal. The helpful and warm manner in which these friendly and capable people treated me made a scary surgery so much easier. I truly appreciate that they, as well as the doctor himself, put themselves out to go above and beyond for patient care. It has been three months since my surgery and I am most optimistic. I’m healing slowly, as this was a long-standing problem that developed and progressed over several years, however even at this point of my recovery I can feel steady healing and clearly observable progress. I have already been able to cut back on the pain medications I was on for quite some time and now see a future without them. I simply can’t recommend Dr. Melamed enough and strongly suggest anyone even remotely contemplating spinal surgery make an appointment to visit him. He saved my life and I will forever be grateful to have been in his care. Ronni R.

|  The Best of The Best  |  show details
by Jeff K on Oct 18th, 2013

After 1 failed emergency microdiscectomy, I researched far and wide to find the right Doc to get me out of pain and back on my feet. The Doc and his facility came highly recommended. The most impressive recommendations were from actual doctors who only trusted him to perform thier own surgery. In our first meeting, he met all my expectations. He explained my situation thoroughly and all my options. Scheduling surgery was a breeze. The procedure was performed in the surgery center. The nurses, staff, and anaesthesiologist were all top notch, personable and attentive, and Dr M walked me through how everything would go. The surgery was a breeze. And my outcome was great. I rarely write reviews but Dr M and his staff deserve it. Highly recommend!

|  The Canadian  |  show details
by The Canadian on Oct 2nd, 2013

After several back surgeries, I thought I had to live with back pain the rest of my life. Doctors I went to said "there is nothing they can do" until I watched The Doctors Show and saw the quality of life he gave his patient after 18 failed surgeries. So I made an appointment with Dr Melameds office and he INSTANTLY knew what had to be done to fix me. Nownit has been 6 months since my surgeries and I am yaking NO pain medication. I will forever be grateful . Thank you Dr Melamed

|  A patient of Dr. Melamed  |  show details
by Madeline F on Oct 2nd, 2013

I was treated very well and Dr. Melamed was excellent. I had my surgery with Dr. Melamed 6 wks ago and now I feel 99.5% better than I did before surgery. Before surgery my pain was 20 out of 10!!. I will not hesitate to recommend anybody or my family to Dr. Melamed

by Toni on May 7th, 2013

The miracles that Dr Melamed has given to me and my family go without saying.

|  Fantastic doctor.  |  show details
by First timer on Mar 26th, 2013

He spent a lot of time with me. He brought in other doctors to confirm with about diagnosis. Explain how the operation will go and my recovery time. Showed me my whole mri and explained everything from disk to disk to disk. Awaiting surgery right now.

|  Concerned with Melamed  |  show details
Jan 26th, 2012

I saw Dr. Melamed since Dr. Bray did not take my insurance. After a few short minutes of review he recommended surgery. He seemed to be selling me on it and verballly expressed high confidance in success (90%). In writting to my PCP he tailored my symptoms to fit the procedure he recommended. He would not respond to my questions in writing. It felt a little pushy. Second and third opinions contradicted his recommendation. I did not see him again.

Aug 14th, 2010

After several consults with other doctors, Dr Melamed took time dlring my visit to explain my diagnosis and the surgery that he was going to perform. I am 100% WITHOUT pain.

Aug 12th, 2010

Dr Melamed is a miracle worker.