Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD
Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Jan 14th, 2016

Dr. Melamed was recommended to me by a friend. I had experienced constant back pain for several years and was ready to find relief. I was fearful of back surgery but after consulting with Dr. Melamed I felt comfortable with the surgery he recommended. I would encourage anyone with chronic back to make an appointment and find relief.

Great success story show details Great success story
by Peter T. on Dec 10th, 2015

Based on my experience with Dr. Melamed, I feel very strongly that anyone in need of low back surgery needs to talk to Dr. Melamed first before undertaking any actions in order to make a decision about treatment. I have nothing but highest regards for Dr. Melamed, his exceptional compassion and people skills, not even mentioning his high level of medical expertise and professionalism.

kudo's for dr. melamed. show details kudo's for dr. melamed.
Nov 9th, 2015

I was injured in 2011 which resulted in cervical and lumbar surgeries. The first surgeries were not effective and left me in a lot of pain. That is when I saw Dr. Melamed on the "doctors"' TV show and wanted to see if he can help me. Dr. Melamed diagnosed me with sway back syndrome that he was able to use his expertise in scoliosis to fix the problem with better hardware, better alignment and included an additional disc and rods. I am now back to work free of pain. Amazing!!! His credentials are unsurpassed. He is truly an expert in his field. He was so patient friendly and was always open and honest about the whole process. I recommend him to everyone.

Best spine surgeon ever show details Best spine surgeon ever
by Shiva G on Aug 9th, 2015

Hands down Dr. Melamed is best spine surgeon ever. He did my dad's back and my Aunt's neck surgery. Both of them went home after one day and hardly took any paid mesds. He made the accurate diagnosis and then performed the perfect operation. They both have recovered really nice and have become very active. We can't thank you enough.

best dr. ever show details best dr. ever
by Ronda Schmerber on Jul 12th, 2015

I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for him. he treated me better than any doctor you have been to in the past. and finally after at least seven years of constant nerve pain in both of my legs, I have been pain free since my surgery for the first time. I will only go to him for future needs, and I traveled over 2000 miles to be treated by him.

Happy patient show details Happy patient
by Ronda Schmerber on Jun 5th, 2015

I would like to thank dr. M for correcting my back I've had two surgeries to back surgeries an after another injury I've had constant nerve pain for the last three years until Dr Melamed fix my back and I am forever grateful I no longer have your pain at all

May 26th, 2015

If you need a spine surgeon Dr. Melamed is by far the best and most compassionate spine surgeon you will ever see.

by Jules M. Melillo on May 22nd, 2015

A year ago, I went to see Dr. Melamed regarding pain in my lower back & down my legs. During my consultation, Dr. Melamed told me that he could help me. After recovering from surgery, the pain in my legs was gone. I found the doctor to be very caring & a honest person. He tells you up front what he can or can't do for you. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing his services.

Dr. Melamed and his Wonderful staff at Marina Del Rey...... show details Dr. Melamed and his Wonderful staff at Marina Del Rey......
by Tammy Ashby on May 9th, 2015

I was searching for 2 years and I finally found my doctor: Dr,Hooman M. Melamed, MD, I knew when we shook hands that he would be my doctor. He was concerned only with your problems and immediately got my x-rays taken and realized that my case was serious. He was kind, compassionate and took me to look art the x-rays personally to show me why I was in so much pain. I felt so good for the first time in 10 years about getting surgery. He was so fast efficient, always letting me know what he was planning for my surgery. The day of my surgery was of course exciting and a little scary, normal to feel that way. Mind you he did a 12 hour surgery because he did reconstructive work on my back as needed. When I woke up. I had some pain but for that kind of surgery I was feeling pretty good. I was already walking with a walker to get my x-rays done, within the 2nd day in the hospital my physical therapist came in and I was walking with her around the hospital. So amazing to walk and not have that pain I felt every time I walked before the surgery. My Doctor is a true SUPER DOCTOR, and is one of "The best leading spine surgeons with international reputation for helping patients like me regain an active, pain free life. cannot believe this gift I have been given is true miracle to me. And I would recommend Dr. Hooman M. Melamed, MD FAAOS to a person who wants a caring, respectful, understanding and truly loving doctor. I could barley walk before and can do the things I did 10 years ago. I am 43 years old so extremely grateful for surgeons like Dr. Melamed. had I not met him I would have not received the same treatment by anyone else. I recommend this incredibly gifted Dr. I call 'Da Vinci', he is truly amazing Thank you Dr. Hooman Melamed, I consider you a friend and cannot truly thank you enough for what you have you done. I hope others get to have you a their Spine Doctor as well.

Best Orthopedic Surgeon in the LA Area! show details Best Orthopedic Surgeon in the LA Area!
by Alessandra M. on May 7th, 2015

Dr. Melamed is the most awesome doctor and most skillful surgeon I have ever met. I came to see him after years of painful lower back pain. I was in such agony, I couldn’t sit, stand, bend over, arch my back or exercise. Several other “doctors” I had seen previously either put me through years of costly steroid injections, told me I was just too sensitive to pain, or claimed back surgery doesn’t work. When I saw Dr. Melamed he immediately took my problem seriously, ordered all necessary imaging tests and came to the conclusion I did need surgery. He performed my surgery at Marina Del Rey hospital (which I loved). Since my surgery couldn’t be done minimally invasive, he asked a vascular surgeon to join him as a precaution. Throughout the whole process Dr. Melamed has been a real “Mensch”, he knows how important compassion and good bedside manners are to a patient. It has now been about seven months since the surgery, and after physical therapy I am without any back pain whatsoever. Dr. Melamed gave me part of my life back. I cannot thank him enough, and highly recommend him.

BEST SPINE SURGEON IN THE NATION show details BEST SPINE SURGEON IN THE NATION
by Heather C. on Apr 28th, 2015

Dr. Hooman Melamed is a SUPERIOR spinal surgeon. Do not hesitate. Thank you Dr. Melamed.

by Mary on Apr 13th, 2015

Having solved my long time arm numbness problem, he treated me like royalty and spent time being personal and kind. I am very pleased with him and his entire staff. He actually remembers personal details from year to year! A true gentleman and brilliant surgeon.

Had complex spine surgery show details Had complex spine surgery
by Jenn G on Mar 29th, 2015

Most amazing spine surgeon no need to see anyone else

Amazing care show details Amazing care
by Joyce on Mar 27th, 2015

To Dr Hooman Melamed Md at Diagnostic international Spine Care in Marina Del Rey Ca 90292. I am 75 years old and was in need of help with my back. Dr. Melamed was the only Spine surgeon I had confidence in. He has a great staff such as Joan C surgery nurse, she was a great help to me. Dr Melamed is kind and went through what he was going to do very clearly. He was a great help to me and my husband, both medically and financially. Dr Melameds surgical staff at Marina Del Rey hospital is a great team. A big thank you to Dr Melamed, Dr Watson, R.N Emiliya, R.N. Rowena and R.N Heather and all the hospital staff Joyce and Reno Shadden

Dr. Melamed - had surgery - no pain at all. show details Dr. Melamed - had surgery - no pain at all.
by Ellen on Mar 16th, 2015

I barely crawled into see Dr. Melamed. I had chronic, excruciating pain and had fallen several times. On the first day after my surgery, the nurses got me on my feel and I felt completely balanced. At the two month mark, I had no pain whatsoever. Dr. Melamed is a gifted surgeon. I will never be able to thank him enough.

Back surgery show details Back surgery
by Harry Stan Williams on Mar 11th, 2015

I am having a bad surgery corrected by Dr Melamed that I had here in Bakersfield, I have full trust and confidence in Dr Melameds skills and I know God will guide His hand and I will be relieved of all this pain.

Good doctor, horrible staff. show details Good doctor, horrible staff.
Feb 27th, 2015

Dr. Melamed may be a good surgeon, but the office visits are absurd. Wait time is always well over an hour after having to wait 4-6 weeks to be seen for a follow up appointment. His staff is uncaring and unhelpful. When you're in excruciating pain being treated that way makes you feel hopeless. I will never go back to him because of his staff.

by Wayne G. on Feb 24th, 2015

My surgical experience was wonderful. I would recommend anyone suffering from back issues to contact Dr. Melamed. The best in the business!

Great doctor! show details Great doctor!
by Norris H. on Jan 8th, 2015

Dr. Melamed is a great and very thorough doctor! Before I went to see him I saw four other doctors and he was by far the best. He explained everything to me and made sure I understood the surgical procedure. Because I'm very active, the surgery was very important to me. I am happy to say I have regained function! My son has also had surgery with Dr. Melamed and has had great results as well.

An amazing doctor an exceptional human being show details An amazing doctor an exceptional human being
by Andrea Tzadik on Dec 20th, 2014

Dr Melamed really cares about his patients. When something hurt me he winced. My surgery was long and complicated and in spite of this the results are miraculous!! He has incredible skill as a surgeon and his rate of success is proof of that. He gave me back my life!

Post production show details Post production
by Metin Yigit on Oct 8th, 2014

The most surprising aspect of my surgery was how clean Dr. Melamed operated. I've had no swelling, inflammation or any of the side effects I've read about prior to surgery. I came to the conclusion this was in part because Dr. Melamed is one of these people who are really into what they are doing and they can not imagine doing anything else. Even in our first meeting I get the impression he was realistic and confident in his abilities. In final analysis I feel lucky and fortunate that I choose to go with him.

Major Back Surgery including fusions and a small rod. show details Major Back Surgery including fusions and a small rod.
by Rose Sykes on Sep 12th, 2014

Before my surgery I could barely walk. It felt like someone kicked in my tail bone. After surgery and recovery it's completely different!! I don't feel that pain anymore, just occasional aching. Mostly due to the weather.

Dr. Melamed is a professional doctor and a caring human being show details Dr. Melamed is a professional doctor and a caring human being
by Homayoun J. on Jun 16th, 2014

Dr. Melamed is one of the best doctors I've ever known. After having a few consultations with other surgeons, most of which had recommended in undergoing an invasive procedure for getting a fusion on my L4-L5. Dr. Melamed was recommended to me as a last resort prior to having the fusion procedure done. After reviewing my medical records, MRIs and etc. he offered me his opinion, which differed from the ones I had until then. He took his time in explaining the discectomy procedure as being a minimally invasive procedure, which would relieve the pressure form the nerves causing me a huge agony. In comparison to fusion, I didn't have much to think about, specially his personality and level of care I saw as a decent human caused me to build enough trust to go forth with the procedure he recommended, to this day I'm happy with the decision I made, as from the moment I opened my eyes after the procedure, felt no pain and am grateful for his professionalism and care he had extended to me.

Dr. M is a wonderful Doctor, Surgeon & Human show details Dr. M is a wonderful Doctor, Surgeon & Human
by Susan Strutz on Jun 5th, 2014

Dr. Melamed is an amazing Dr, Surgeon & human. After being diagnosed with a bulging disc & 3 injections I was referred to two surgeons. I went to the 1st Dr. who kept me waiting over an hour (I got a parking ticket), his PT examined & spk with me, then the Dr came in & asked what my problem was, I asked if he read the MRI, he was very arrogant & spent maybe 4 minutes with me & suggested all these bogus test & surgery. I then made an apt with DR MELAMED, he was friendly, sympathic to my pain, informative & treated me with concern & respect. He took the time to explain my issues & showed me my MRI & Xrays, he also showed me another patient's MRI & Xrays he treated with a similar issue & said it was very common & could do the surgery blind folded. So I scheduled the surgery. His surgery center was great, the staff was caring & professional. The end result of this is that I have no more pain. Last Mother's day I went for a message with my Sister-in-Law & the next day I couldn't move. I called Dr. M & he sent me for an MRI the next day & saw me after, I had a herniated disc!! That same week he fixed it & a few days later I had a 2nd herniated disc which was on my ganglia nerve, so painful I went to the emergency room! Once again Dr. M saved the day!! Thank you Dr. M. Oh, one more thing, at my first post-op my Husband asked Dr. M if he treated necks, Dr. M then started examining my husband & sent him for an MRI can you imagine a Dr taking the time to look at another patient during an exam? My experience has always been "Make an appointment". To make another long story short, he fixed my Husbands neck as well, so we had 4 surgeries in 2 years. We Love Love Love Love Dr. Melamed & highly recommend him.

ACDF by Dr. Melamed show details ACDF by Dr. Melamed
by Bob Kay on Jun 4th, 2014

Here is a doctor who cares, is totally professional, and is one who puts his patients first and spends quality time answering all questions.

Fantastic show details Fantastic
by Anonymous on Jun 1st, 2014

Dr Melamed has been a fantastic surgeon, already recommended other friends and family to his office; I would not recommend anybody else than Dr. Melamed! Great staff, easy scheduling and less than 15 minutes waiting time! Dr Melamed always answers any questions I might have on my condition!

Dr. M is the BEST! show details Dr. M is the BEST!
by Stephen Stein on Mar 19th, 2014

I had all kinds of lower-back problems I had been wrestling with a back doctor for 2 1/2 years until it was clear surgery was necessary. Dr. Melamed was THE BEST in every way, and after my surgery, I have repeatedly shared with folks, "I'm the poster boy for this operation!"

A doctor worth bragging about show details A doctor worth bragging about
by Richard I. on Mar 7th, 2014

My mother only speaks Spanish and so I always accompany her on her visits to Dr. Melamed. She just had surgery with him about six weeks ago and she is very thrilled and happy! She used to have trouble walking because of the pain in her back and leg, but now she is much better. The service, the outcome of the surgery, and the follow-ups with the doctor...all were very excellent. She's bragging to all her friends and showing Dr. Melamed's picture to them, she has the greatest respect and admiration for him.

Better Than Ever show details Better Than Ever
by Linda U. on Feb 26th, 2014

I feel like I can do so much more than ever before. Back before I had the surgery, I remember that when my husband and I went shopping, just taking a normal step off the curb sent pain down my legs and back. Dr. Melamed probably has a pair of wings hidden under his shirt, he’s terrific all around. I was scared about surgery, but when he explained my MRI to me, he was very comforting and made it easy for me to talk to him about my fears. He was so heartfelt, and I had such a feeling of trust in him that I couldn’t say no. Not every doctor goes that extra mile. After my surgery with Dr. Melamed last June, I just feel better overall, like I'm getting back to the feeling I had when I was 20. I’m still healing, and I have to be careful not to overdo it, but the surgery hasn’t restricted me from work, exercise, or anything else I do. I have the thrill of feeling better overall.

Happy Happy show details Happy Happy
by Linda I Ulrey on Oct 28th, 2013

Everything was explained in detail, very pleasant person to talk to. The woek done is excellent. Doctor has real concern about doing the best work for his patients.

The Best of The Best show details The Best of The Best
by Jeff K on Oct 18th, 2013

After 1 failed emergency microdiscectomy, I researched far and wide to find the right Doc to get me out of pain and back on my feet. The Doc and his facility came highly recommended. The most impressive recommendations were from actual doctors who only trusted him to perform thier own surgery. In our first meeting, he met all my expectations. He explained my situation thoroughly and all my options. Scheduling surgery was a breeze. The procedure was performed in the surgery center. The nurses, staff, and anaesthesiologist were all top notch, personable and attentive, and Dr M walked me through how everything would go. The surgery was a breeze. And my outcome was great. I rarely write reviews but Dr M and his staff deserve it. Highly recommend!

The Canadian show details The Canadian
by The Canadian on Oct 2nd, 2013

After several back surgeries, I thought I had to live with back pain the rest of my life. Doctors I went to said "there is nothing they can do" until I watched The Doctors Show and saw the quality of life he gave his patient after 18 failed surgeries. So I made an appointment with Dr Melameds office and he INSTANTLY knew what had to be done to fix me. Nownit has been 6 months since my surgeries and I am yaking NO pain medication. I will forever be grateful . Thank you Dr Melamed

A patient of Dr. Melamed show details A patient of Dr. Melamed
by Madeline F on Oct 2nd, 2013

I was treated very well and Dr. Melamed was excellent. I had my surgery with Dr. Melamed 6 wks ago and now I feel 99.5% better than I did before surgery. Before surgery my pain was 20 out of 10!!. I will not hesitate to recommend anybody or my family to Dr. Melamed

by Toni on May 7th, 2013

The miracles that Dr Melamed has given to me and my family go without saying.

Fantastic doctor. show details Fantastic doctor.
by First timer on Mar 26th, 2013

He spent a lot of time with me. He brought in other doctors to confirm with about diagnosis. Explain how the operation will go and my recovery time. Showed me my whole mri and explained everything from disk to disk to disk. Awaiting surgery right now.