Dr. Hope Cromer MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 11th, 2015
Dr. Cromer is okay but their office staff, ehh...not so much.
The issue for me isn't necessarily Dr. Cromer herself but rather Upstate Psychiatry as a whole. Their front office staff is quite possibly the worst group of employees I have ever encountered. The phone is never answered, there is a huge lack of communication and they're just blatantly rude. There are some fantastic Doctors and counselors at Upstate Psychiatry but dealing with the staff completely diminishes that. I will say this about Dr. Cromer if you're looking for attentive care, I would go elsewhere. She IS a pill pusher which is all well and good, but if you have problems with medications and her solution is to just up and down the dosage of that same medication...than that's a problem. There ARE good psychiatrist in Greenville that family members and people I know have gone to that actually spend more than five minutes with you and genuinely are concerned with their patients well-being and not just a paycheck.

August 10th, 2015
I just LOVE Dr. Hope Cromer!!!
I have been a patient of Dr. Cromer's for several years and now my adolescent son is her patient. My last psychiatrist did not even know what I looked like, he would shake my hand, direct me to his office, review my meds, write refills and send me on my way all in 5 minutes. Dr. Cromer first initiates in our session by asking about my well-being ~ how are things going? She will sit there and listen very tenatively as she is a very kind and compassionate doctor. She may make suggestions or give me guidance which is what I need. She then will go over all my medications and if we feel that anything needs adjusting depending on my over all well being at the time, then I totally trust her decision. I am a stage III breast cancer survivor from an early age, I have been verbally, mentally, and physically controlled by two ex husbands not to mention while going through my cancer getting physically abused as well by the second therefore I have a LOT of issues, but thanks to Dr. Cromer I have come a long ways. Now I am in transition getting treated for my Fibromyalgia thanks to her. This has been s very difficult medication that I am on, but I can call her medical assistant and she will get back with me within a few hours, consult with Dr. Cromer and call me right back. Now, as she has been encouraging me for so long due to my past, I have finally taken her up on her offer and have an appointment with one of her therapists. So, if you are looking for a caring, trustworthy psychiatrist that knows all about medicine, how the brain works and the meds work with the chemicals within the brain, Dr. Hope Cromer is THE psychiatrist you are looking for in a great doctor.

March 4th, 2015
I almost commuted suicide because of this woman. I was at the lowest I had ever been in my life. I didn't think my meds were working. She said "just snap out of it and get over it." Who says that to a patient in the middle of a crisis. Thank god I went somewhere else.

January 15th, 2015
Terrible Doctor! Not Consistent
I saw Dr. Cromer for over 5 years. She was terrible! Spent about 5 minutes each time I visited, had no empathy whatsoever. All she did was medicate me with way too many meds. She is out for money only. Does not care about her patients.

December 28th, 2014
Absolutely Love Dr. Cromer
I have been around my share of psychiatrists, as my brother was schizophrenic, my brother in law was part of a test study for OCD meds in the early 80's, I have OCD, depression and mild GAD. My at the age of 11. She is 21 now and Dr. Cromer is her 2nd Psychiatrist (due to the need of a local Dr. near college. Dr. Cromer has aided in the proper support for changing hormonal and academic challenges. She has had candid conversations about why my daughter should never mix alcohol or any other drugs with her medication and has been firm but loving in terms of explaining that my daughter has to take an equal role in her relationship as a patient. She has NEVER used foul language at any time, and while my daughter had refused, Dr. Cromer encourages her to couple her treatment with counseling. She listens, makes adjustments to meds when needed, her nurse always returns calls. No doctor is perfect, but as I said earlier, I've been around my share of psychiatrists, and she is fabulous! daughter was diagnosed with GAD, OCD, ADHD

July 26th, 2014
highlights of my first visit...I will not be back
First of all, her office staff scheduled me for an appointment that was wrong and I had driven 45 min to get there. So when I finally do get to see her, she suggests a medication that is very similar to one I'm already on (an SSRI) that I specifically told my regular MD I did not want to take due to the side effects associated with it that were part of the reason I became depressed in the first place. I really just needed my anxiety medication dosage upped and to be in my way. When I objected to her adding this other medication to my regular routine her exact response was, "then we're gonna have a f@#%ing problem." I began to sob because I came to her for help, not be verbally disrespected after her office had already screwed up my appointment and I am PAYING this woman to talk to me that way. It just doesn't seem logical to me to continue to see her. So when she gave me the script for the medicine I objected to taking I got it filled then never took them because I had tried it in the past and had problems with it. She did however up my anxiety medication so once I got that script I happily walked out knowing I'd never have to put up with her rudeness and unprofessional behavior toward the people who are paying her paychecks.

May 10th, 2014
My son and I both see Dr. Cromer. She is very quick with my son unless there is an issue. My son loves seeing her. I have been seeing her much longer than my son has. If everything is going well,we review medications. She is thoughtful about what medications I can tolerate and responds to any issues I have regarding the medications. She has always listened and responded appropriately. If I have a significant issue, she is quick to validate my feelings. If I have an issue between sessions, I can call her nurse and get a response by end of day. If a crisis occurs, I call the nurse and am usually offered an appointment the next day. If she will not be available, like if I call on Thursday, oftentimes her nurse will do whatever she can to help. Dr. Cromer is an excellent caring doctor with me and treats my son in an appropriate manner.

December 14th, 2013
A fine Psychiatrist
I believe Dr. Cromer to be actively involved and interested in my care. Yes, Psychiatrists use medication to help symptoms. As a 49 year old male who has lived with bipolar disorder much of my life, I KNOW when a doc doesn't listen or seem to care. She is not one of those doctors. Our healthcare system has forced doctors to be ultra efficient seeing multiple patients per hour. In psychiatry, one must advocate for oneself, have a list of concerns ready to go (write them down). Don't expect the doc to fish issues out of you. There is an important distinction between psychiatrists and therapists. A therapist is the person to help you understand, identify key issues and improve quality of life. That information, over time, is extremely useful to the doctor. Medication is only a piece of the puzzle. If you are lacking the therapy or counseling aspect of care, that is on you. The information learned from talk/behavioral counseling can then be brought to the doctor (by you...write things down) through which the doctor can make a more informed decision about the need for medications. Dr. Cromer is personable, knowledgeable and responsive to my input regarding MY care. Sessions are not long (as with any doctor), but with specific medical concerns, they will not be ignored. You are in charge of your own care. Thank you Dr. Cromer for helping me to improve the quality of my life.

September 24th, 2013
Just gets 'em in and gets 'em out
I've been taking my son to see Dr. Cromer for the last 4yrs. for anxiety and OCD. I did not know that psychiatrist were supposed to actually talk to the patients. I thought they were just supposed to give a prescription, and then you go to a seperate therapist or someone to talk about your issues. Dr. Cromer just asks us a couple questions on how the medicine seems to be working, if she needs to up the dosage or lower it, and that's about it. She's never spent more than 10 minutes with my son. We will be changing doctors because my son needs to talk with someone, not just get handed some pills. She is definately a "pill-pusher", doesn't seem to really care enough to talk about the issues that are causing the need for medication so that maybe he can get off them someday. OH, and as a side note....the office staff there are very rude!!!!

June 4th, 2010
just a number to her
i felt like i was just the number of the day for her. In my opinion she doesnt help the people that need her the most and she should be ashamed of herself. I am a patient of hers and i can honestly say she is non caring about my mental health and spends atmost 6 minutes every visit when it takes 45 minutes to get to her. She needs to learn how to help others. People that need mental health need the best care and understanding that they can find and i think she is the lowest