Dr. Horacio Capote Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Horacio Capote?

ADHD

Have you seen Dr. Horacio Capote?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

February 25th, 2017

Pompous

I saw Capote in the fall of 2016 after waiting an hour and a half past my appointment time. Then I saw a nurse who conducted some brief testing with words and pictures. Then sent back to wait for another 45 minutes. Then I saw the Dr. For 10 minutes he stared at his computer, did not make any eye contact, never asked questions . Just ordered tests including about 13 blood tests, a sleep study, prescribed Latuda, which if he indeed read my paperwork, had a contraindication with the statin I was on. My insurance wouldn't even cover it and if they had, it would have been $180 per month co pay. He insisted this was best after I called back and then found out all follow ups were with a PA not a Dr in the practice. He also bashed my neurologist I was seeing at the Dent for a head injury and car accident. I left both of them to find better doctors with second opinions and they both booted me out of the Dent for life. Just as well. I don't believe this place is suitable for a veterinary clinic

November 12th, 2016

Good things to say

Yes,Dr Capote was a good Dr for my needs .not only did he save my life,but he also sent me in the right direction with my addictive behavior.unfortunately I was discharged from his care . If I didn't lose my transportation I would still be in the care of the best Dr I have had the pleasure to have met. I highly recommend him and wish I could go back!!!!

June 5th, 2016

Find another doctor

He has a reputation for being knowledgeable but even that is not true. He misdiagnosed me and caused me to spend a year in unnecessary agony. Will agree with his PAs no matter what idiotic thing they say. He also has no bedside manner or compassion.

May 6th, 2016

INCOMPETENT

We were referred to Dr. Capotes office over a year ago with the expectation that he offered additional treatments that other doctors don't provide. We soon found out that you only see him at the initial visit then are assigned a PA to take your case. A year later and on our 4th PA who finally seemed to be able to help we endured 3 who were completely incompetent and for treating a teenager with sever OCD, kept prescribing mood stabilizers and medications that were in her "use with extreme caution'" category. No one seemed to empathize with what she was going through and with the treatments they provided (or should I say NON-treatment) she has regressed so significantly that when I expressed her regression (leaving a message I might add as you can NEVER speak with a person directly!) I was told we should go to another facility where they "specialize" in treatments. With 4 weeks left until graduation from High School they wanted us to obtain a "2nd opinion" as if we don't know what she has been suffering with for the past 7 years! So basically they are saying they don't know how to treat her. I called and left another "message" indicating that we would definitely switch doctors if they felt they couldn't treat her but as my daughter has grown attached (finally) to a competent PA. I was reluctant to switch. Several hours later I received a call to go ahead and increase her dose of the med which I believe will finally help her. So we will stay for now but this is definitely the last chance. For all the "extra testing and procedures" they claim to have done and offer - then you find out that your child is too young? Bad experience so far. Finally found a PA who is empathetic and seemed to have a plan. Hoping that is the case!!

March 13th, 2016

Bad memories

I have been thinking about my various mental health treatment over the years and have done a lot of soul-searching to see where I've gone wrong. I have not seen Dr. Capote since 2006, but maybe my review will show anyone looking for a doctor that his lackluster performance was noticed going back as far as 2001, before he even joined DENT. His wait times were awful pre-DENT. All he would do was nudge up my medication almost every single time I saw him. He never educated me on any of the side effects or the long-term consequences of this drug (Paxil) and I felt he failed me because I was only 19 at the time and I was ignorant of taking charge and asserting myself, doing research on my own, etc. The last time I ever had an appointment there, he delegated me to one of his physicians assistants with no notice until she came out to get me. I told this girl that I was feeling worse, and all she could tell me was "well, you've maxed out on your Paxil" and "I feel down a lot too, I go through rough times." Never once was a medication change even suggested in the 5 years I saw him. I moved out of the area for a job soon after and that was the end of my treatment with him. Also, I can vividly remember a few times where I had to wait upwards of 2 hours. I told the desk multiple times that I was a college student and I was late for class or late for work (and losing money by not being there). Total disrespect of my time. I see from the other reviews not much has changed. Avoid this doctor.

January 21st, 2016

Horrible doctor

After waiting over an hour to see him, I felt he had no idea as to what he was doing. I have been experiencing anxiety and depression for many months. Dr Capote kept looking at a computer screen instead of me. He prescribed me meds which I refuse to take.......Going to a more competent doctor.

January 7th, 2016

Should not be in practice unless he had been properly trained. Dangerous.

December 23rd, 2015

A Very Dangerous Doctor Who Shouldn't Be Practicing.

Dr. Capote completely destroyed my life for over 4 months - I'm still recovering from what he did to me. I'd been taking a benzo - a pretty high dosage for over 30 years. Apropos of nothing he told me it wasn't working anymore, and tried to wean me off of it in 1 month - then 2, with huge dosages of gabapentin that did nothing for me. It's supposed to take about a year to be weaned off correctly. I became almost completely non functional for 2 & 1/2 months until I wound up in the ER, and from there a new doctor who couldn't believe Capote had done what he did. In the time I saw him desperate phone calls and emails weren't returned by him - you can never talk to anyone directly, you have to leave a message and sometimes they get back to you, sometimes they don't. I went from being a fully functioning person to a completely housebound person, shaking uncontrollably with my heart beating through my chest, unable to even do simple things like shower or make phone calls. He's supposed to be an addiction specialist, but apparently knows nothing about addiction. I'm on a lower dosage of the benzo now and am planning to wean off of it after I adjust to the new dosage, but it will take longer because of what I went through with this sad excuse for a "doctor". After what I've learned I do want to try weaning off because it's not a good medicine to take if you're older, but this time it will be done correctly and I won't be living in the 2&1/2 month nightmare he put me through. If you take any kind of benzo steer clear of this "doctor". Even if you want to wean off, he won't do it correctly.

July 7th, 2015

Worst doctor on the planet.

February 5th, 2015

Fantastic doctor! Wonderful caring staff!

August 13th, 2014

poor PAs

Dr. Capote is excellent, however plan on waiting for at least an hour though you have an appointment. Dent does cattle call appointments and schedules several at 10am and 2pm. His PA does not review records before a visit and is more interested in typing on his computer than talking with the patient. Getting prescriptions is extremely difficult, plan on phoning 2 weeks before you run out and never ever expect anyone to answer the phone in his office if you need to call. Good luck on getting consistent answers from staff. His secretary is and always has been rude and ineffectual, never answering a phone or checking email. My time is just as valuable; why do I wait over an hour? why do I have to always wait for a return phone call which may or may not come? Great doctor but terrible PAs (Greg Groth) and bad staff.

November 7th, 2012

Medications in the field of Psychiatry are CRITICAl. Substances that effect one patient does NOT predict how that medication will effect another patient. Medications about BRAIN/neurological systems have major effects on patients' health, welfare, and ability to function. I am Very UNhappy with how my care has been handled. I think Capote is an Excellent Dr. BUT the sheer volume of calls does NOT excuse this office for letting communication be faulty. I have called and left messages to nursing and office staff AND have even emailed and been woe-fully ignored. I am now going to communicate often in varying degrees of urgency to get THIS one issue resolved. I cannot continue to wait for you to fumble with my life. Next step~ show up and wait for an audience. Perhaps the volume of calls needs to be met with an increase of mediccal staff answering the phone?