Adolescent Specialist, Addiction Medicine Specialist, Psychiatrist, Geriatric Specialist (elderly care), Pain Management Specialist, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Tammie Michelle Hanson on Mar 2nd, 2016

I have been coming to Dr. Cohen for about 3 years and usually I see Jill since my initial visit with Dr. Cohen. I was so grateful to Dr. Cohen for making me feel at ease and he didn't make me feel like I was a drug addict. I had been being seen by another pain management MD but was treated so badly that I was grateful that they decided to do only procedures. The best thing they did for me was to send me to Dr. Cohen. He explained my condition to me in detail and allowed me to continue on the Suboxone. I was tired of living on heavy pain medication and I could no longer function in my career taking it. The Suboxone therapy has changed my life. I see Jill now and I am so very blessed to be taken care of by her. She is the kindest and most caring person that I have ever met. Every time I see her she spends time listening to my concerns even though I know that she is swamped with other patients. The office staff has also been so kind to me as well. The area of medicine that Dr. Cohen specializes in is already filled with difficult to deal with patients but the staff treats everyone with the same respect and concern as they would anyone else. I also love the young man that is the MA for the office he is always so energetic and always remembers who I am. I give my gratitude and my ability to function normally to the LORD and thank Him for sending Dr. Cohen and Jill to me. Having my care transferred to Dr. Cohen's office has changed my life.

by R.Wheeler on Feb 15th, 2016

Great pain Dr. For Fibromyalgia!

Dr Cohen is an Excellent Pain Management Physician show details Dr Cohen is an Excellent Pain Management Physician
Feb 11th, 2016

Have seen Dr. Cohen many times and have found him to be very well educated in pain management and he and his staff were able to get me to levels of functionality that had eluded other physicians fr years.

Jan 18th, 2016

BEEN TO DR. COHEN FOR 12 YEARS-HE IS THE ONLY DOCTOR I HAVE EVER TRULY KNOWN THIS LONG,AND HE HAS GIVEN ME THE ABILITY TO LIVE A GREAT LIFE ,EVEN THOUGH WHEN I MET HIM I WAS BECOMING RAPIDLY UNABLE TO WALK ,MY HUSBAND OF 30 YEARS LEFT ,AND THROUGH ALL THESE YEARS ,HE HAS TREATED ME WITH DIGNITY,KINDNESS,AND ALTHOUGH EVERY DOCTOR'S HAS ALOT OF QUIRKS ,HE PERSONALLY IS ONE OF THE FINEST HUMAN BEINGS I KNOW. I CAN LIVE BY MYSELF,DRIVE A CAR,AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC FOR 28 YEARS,THE NARCOTICS HE HAS CHOSEN FOR ME HAVE NOT CAUSED ME TO RELAPSE IN 12 YEARS! THAT IN ITSELF IS THE BEST THING HE COULD HAVE EVER DONE FOR ME, SINCE THERE ARE NO SURGERIES AVAILABLE,AND MY CONDITIONS ARE PROGRESSIVE ,AND THE PAIN WOULD HAVE BEEN UNBEARABLE.

Great Doctor, But.... show details Great Doctor, But....
by Patient Over Five Years on Dec 24th, 2015

If it weren't for his Medical Assistants and his inability to be a Manager when he needs to, instead of a Doctor, he would be one of the best Doctors I've seen in my entire life (I've seen over 250 in the last twenty years); however, he is still one of the best Physicians out there. Their office just has MAJOR procedural issues to work through.

Dr. Cohen knows what he is doing. show details Dr. Cohen knows what he is doing.
by Kirsten Tolfa on Dec 8th, 2015

Dr. Cohen has changed my life. He diagnosed depression and treated in a way that no other doctor was able to do. I have had five back surgeries and, because of Dr Cohen and PRIDE, I am off of pain medication and living a normal life. It was hard work in PRIDE, but well worth it. Please go see him if your doctor is just putting a bandaid on the problem.

Late show details Late
by AB on Dec 4th, 2015

I have had to wait hours to see this doctor. You would think that especially working in psychiatry and pain that he would make an effort to schedule patients in a way that would be timely.

by Pamela White on Nov 15th, 2015

I have followed DKnox &r Cohen from his office off of Knox &Henderson,,to Priide over on Maple & Inwood, to his new office on Worth St.in Dallas near the old Baylor Hospital on Gaston Ave.. I will continue to tag along as long as he keeps me as his patient!!

by Mike Bronsky on Nov 11th, 2015

Dr. Cohen is AMAZING!

WORTHLESS show details WORTHLESS
Nov 6th, 2015

Most worthless doctor I have been to yet. Doesn't listen to anything you say. Just an interrogation of a dps report. If you say your in pain then the pain meds are not working. If you say their working then your not having enough pain to need them. Psychiatrists do not make good pain management doctors. BEWARE

Oct 23rd, 2015

He made me wait 2 hours in the lobby for an appointment. When I advised that I needed to leave the response was lukewarm at best. The following appointment there was no apology for making me wait so long.

Horrible Patient Care show details Horrible Patient Care
by CC on Sep 2nd, 2015

Julie, the person who answered the phone today is absolutely the rudest person in the universe. Very impatient, rude and hung up on me because I didn't have a referral from a doctor but I had questions about their office.

Aug 28th, 2015

I found Dr. Cohen to be bright intelligent, prompt right to the point . On the first vist he was thorough and very professional also I hope that Dr. Cohen will continue to always be my Dr.

Aug 4th, 2015

Office staff does not return calls and is not helpful.

Office run by the "Brady Bunch" show details Office run by the "Brady Bunch"
by law157 on Jul 10th, 2015

He has way to many females working in this office. It felt like the Brady Bunch was running the office. The Doctor was totally professional and has helped me overcome a pain issue that has bothered me for many years. Great doctor but you will need good insurance and some cash because insurance never covers the whole bill especially if you are on MEDICARE!!

PRIDE is the BEST show details PRIDE is the BEST
by Chris on Jun 29th, 2015

Dr. Cohen is a consummate professional in his areas of specialty. He has multiple current board certifications and plenty of real-world experience. His office, PRIDE, has experience in treating psychosomatic disorders, psychiatry, and pain management and rehabilitation. Out of the several specialists I consulted, he is by far my favorite. His office and staff are compassionate. I turned to him the first time when nobody else could figure out what was going on, and then again a year later when I was tired of being treated poorly by my PM&R doctor. Both times his office was there to help, even when it had been a while since my last visit. Please do yourself a favor and trust his process. Dr. Cohen spent an hour and a half reading my entire medical history, and then spent half an hour on my initial physical assessment. They want to hear all your symptoms and medication side effects. They are open-minded, and understand living with chronic pain sucks. They have made my life easier by doing the job of multiple physician's offices. The initial wait time is the worst but is still worth your time. If you are in chronic pain then seriously, do yourself the favor of seeing this doctor or somebody in his office. His staff are world renowned and people travel across the country to see him.

Apr 8th, 2015

Extremely knowledgable and accurate with medication treatment plan

Mar 16th, 2015

Dr. Cohen is BY FAR the best psychiatrist and pain doc in DFW area. Amazing.

Feb 27th, 2015

I could go into a long diatribe. But, suffice it to say, this man doesn't know his backside from his elbow. He is the iconic educated idiot.

Long waits but he is worth it. show details Long waits but he is worth it.
by Cancer patient with chronic pain from treatment side effects, on Feb 8th, 2015

Dr Cohen is knowledgeable and seems to truly care about his patients if you can get past the whole new patient appointment procedure. The paperwork and waiting can make you decide it's not worth it before you ever see the doctor. By the time I fisnlly saw him I had decided I wouldn't be coming back but after spending about 2 hours with him I decided it was well worth the wait. Can't complain about waiting for hours when he then spends hours with me also.

blessed to have access to him and grateful for his help show details blessed to have access to him and grateful for his help
Oct 28th, 2014

Going on 10 years as his patient. He's brilliant, compassionate, and misses nothing. He has improved my quality of life a great deal. He's been through many different staff members because he's not so good with handling his staff. He's a little passive/aggressive. The really wonderful people he's had have moved on because they were overworked and underpaid. I try to be as polite and kind to them as possible, but his current appointment's girl has zero compassion for people who are in pain. I used to be able to contact him directly if I had an issue. I never abused the privilege but it's no longer possible. He is a wonderful person, an amazing doctor, and he's worth any inconvenience.

Expect a 3 hour wait!!! show details Expect a 3 hour wait!!!
Oct 13th, 2014

Once you have paid, expect an instant UA. Any MJ in your system and no pain pills. Great doctor - very very smart - almost intimidating but a nice guy. Will and can help but who can wait 3 hours to see him everytime? And wait 3 months as a new patient.

Oct 29th, 2013

What kind of doctor prescribes Oxycontin to a 26 yr. old with her whole life ahead of her?!?!!!

Dr. Cohen is a stellar physician who cares deeply about his patients and never stops trying to help! show details Dr. Cohen is a stellar physician who cares deeply about his patients and never stops trying to help!
Oct 3rd, 2013

I have read a variety of reviews regarding Dr. Cohen and where many comment on an unpleasant staff, I have NEVER experienced anything less than friendly and helpful. Again many write of addiction issues, it happens and is a risk for anyone, physicians included so why on earth would you blame Dr. Cohen? It's a risk that we are ALL made aware of and it doesn't make you a bad person nor does it make Dr. Cohen a bad doctor. There are always going to be patients that unwittingly become addicted, Dr. Cohen is aware of this risk and discusses openly. I would not hesitate to discuss a concern if I felt I was having issues. He has been the most non-judgemental pain mgmt. doctor I have had the good fortune to see. You do see that he treats addiction as well. Life is what you make it, it can be difficult as we all know. Not everyone can manage pain without medications, that is only a decision for the person in pain and for anyone who believes ALL patients have other choices, you likely didn't have pain that required medication. I agree w/the reviewer that stated Dr. Cohen can't read our minds, if you tell him you hurt, his oath is to help you. I believe Dr. Cohen is extremely competent, caring and evaluates the risk/benefit ratio as best he can. For patients looking, I encourage you to understand that addiction CAN'T predicted, maybe one day it will but for now, no matter who you go to, there is a risk you could become addicted. Medications are given in quantities only for the month, it is the patient's responsibility to be open and honest w/the doctor and use these medications with the utmost care and judgement as there are many patients that do not have this luxury. Back in 2003 it was NOT illegal to leave RX's, it was only after "pill mills" popped up that laws were forced to change as many unscrupulous doctors NOT trained in pain mgmt. entered the field. I wonder how the many people that write of their addictions would feel if the staff could anonymously post anything they wanted, probably not so great. If you want a doctor that truly listens and allows you to be a part of your treatment plan, Dr. Cogen is that man. I have had my pain mgmt. dictated with no regard to undesirable side effects, it was "this" or nothing, I am no longer powerless in my own care, it is rare and the result of compassionate and competent care. We as patients have a serious responsibility to take our medications as prescribed and Dr. Cohen can only prescribe based on your input. I have benefitted greatly from his care and have been without access to care so I know what a privilege it is to be the most productive person I can be which beats a bedridden shell of myself. Those of you that deal with pain levels of 7 plus know what I speak of, we also know that by taking the least amount of medications, we preserve our function and receive the most from our treatment plan. I would say Dr. Cohen is a very busy and sought after pain mgmt. physician who does run late at times but just remember we've all been that patient that needed a little extra time. I believe there is a tremendous amount of documentation required due to the nature of this field and scripts must often be filled out and copied, many times adjusted and reasonable people understand that there are only so many employees that can be hired to accommodate our many serious and diverse needs. So I go back to life is what you make it, I am willing to sit and wait for my fellow pain sufferer to get the full attention they need as I hope they would do for me should I have a difficult time. For those of you that find the staff so unpleasant, you may want to examine how you treat them and recognize we are all human beings w/other responsibilities and problems, staff members are no different, you haven't the slightest idea if they are having a hard day. You generally get what you give, if you are unable to wait and this is untenable for you, this may not be the practice for you. For those of us who suffer severely, we cannot work and the wait beats the alternative. Dr. Cohen and staff, thank you for ALL that you do and know that MANY of us are grateful for your patience and dedication.

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Great doc; improving staff show details Great doc; improving staff
Oct 2nd, 2013

In my experience, Dr. Cohen is a great and innovative doctor who really cares about his patients. He is constantly coming up with new things for me to try for my chronic pain--things other docs never mention. It can be a challenge to deal with his staff. However, this is improving. They fired some people and the new ones are better about returning calls, doing prior authorizations, etc. Just be persistent if you have to. You won't find a better pain doc anywhere. I think the "still present but improving" staff issues are a small price to pay for otherwise great care.

by Kathy G. on Aug 12th, 2013

To all of the patients that respect Dr. Howard Cohen and seem to get great relief from his practice, I am extremely happy for you. My experience wasn't as memorable. It isn't always the case that a dissatisfied patient is always to blame when heavy narcotics are involved. Addiction and physical dependency are two totally different scenarios. Some of us actually have a great life and do not need to resort to narcotics on the street or doctors offices. When there is a life turn of events, (example, multiple surgeries) and we are referred to a pain specialist for chronic pain, we tend to trust their judgement. Why??.. Because they are the professionals. You ask, why write this a decade later...?? It's not because I have hatred in my heart for anyone. Being narcotic free, I now see the negative results from being put on narcotic pain medicine. If it can help or spare just one person from the downward spiral, why not?

Dr. Cohen is just a cut above, his knowledge of meds is impressive show details Dr. Cohen is just a cut above, his knowledge of meds is impressive
Aug 8th, 2013

I recently had the good fortune to join Dr. Cohen's practice. He is highly regarded by both the medical community & his patients. Having the misfortune of being ill for many years, I've seen many physicians over the years & I found Dr. Cohen to give great thought to my situation, definately able to think outside of the box AND he gets that what pharmaceutical companies say about their drugs are NOT always true & many people have differing experiences. HE GETS IT, I've NEVER had a doctor listen to me the way he does & I'm very relieved to know I'm not some anomaly - he knows his meds, he knows when a 4 hr. med really barely makes it to 2 hrs., that alone put me ahead of the game on appointment #1 . The only negative I have experienced is difficulty getting a response in a timely manner, if at all. Someone quit & no one checked the voice messagaes for nearly 2 wks. But that is one trade off, it's worth it if you are med compliant. They've ALWAYS gotten me help, it's just sometimes down to the wire, they would be better to just update patients. if someone says they'll call me w/i the hour but instead it's 24-48 hours, it's not ideal but in medicine it's probably not possible to hire the staff you need to fill out the forms they fill out. He has worked tirelessly to treat me & understands the toll chronic illness & pain take on a person. I think it's VERY IMPORTANT for all patients to know that you must come in prepared, and take full responsibility for the serious business of pain management and the medications if that's your need (NOT WANT). He, on some level, has to trust you, the patient to accurately describe your pain, he can't feel it, all he can do is take the documentation along w/your words to help you. This man is in a difficult field, yet despite the risk he seems very committed to his patients and wants to find the best benefit/risk scenario for you, if you tell him the pain is worst than it is, he can't read you mind and you are really hurting yourself, the viability of this much needed field and the patients that do need Dr. Cohen's help are diminished each time a patient goes drug seeking. However, in a short time, he has improved my life immensely by exploring & working to find the right plan for me. The ONLY negatives I would dare bring up is it is very difficult to get a returned phone call, I think he would benefit from an office manager, but knowing the cost of running such a practice, this may just be the best he can do to be able to provide the care he does. I have ALWAYS been seen in a timely manner but I've learned to make lists which allows him to get right to any issue. There are patients that behave badly often, they want early refills for the 4th time or want scripts w/o seeing the doctor, but mostly it seems to be the other docs' PRIDE patients & they want an endless supply of drugs. I would give just about anything NOT to need them. BTW, THIS MAN IS WELL TRAINED, HE WILL GET EVERY REPORT ON YOU FROM ALL TREATING PHYSICIANS ALONG W/TEST RESULTS SO HE WILL NOT WRITE EASILY FOR NARCOTICS, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PILL MILL, DR. COHEN IS NOT YOUR GUY. I am always amazed the way his staff ever so patiently does whatever they can to help. They deal with a lot of cranky patients, yet they are always respectful and kind. I had an instance where Eliza waited for a friend to pick up a script for me, nearly an hour after they closed b/c it was a Friday and "she didn't want me to suffer thru the weekend". He really has a great staff, I hope people thank them on ocassion, they work so hard. All I know is my pain is becoming manageable and he has had to write many letters to my insurance so that I may try different medications, never complains he just does whatever it takes. On the reviewer blaming Dr. Cohen for HER addiction to OxyContin, many people use narcotics and other methods to control pain successfully. We are all warned and very clearly informed on the seriousness of these meds & the risk for addiction. You signed your pain contract so you should have either told Dr. Cohen you felt you were getting into trouble, (maybe easier said then done). I would do so w/o hesitation, but I'm sorry, YOU need to accept the responsibility of not taking your meds as prescribed, it doesn't reflect poorly on Dr. Cohen & I mean no disrespect having a friend fall into addiction so I am not passing judgement on you, but pain mgmt. doctors risk so much for their patients, adding this to their already intense responsibilities will cause less & less doctors to pursue this specialty. But you are done w/that and it's a decade later, move on & please don't try to scare people, you are clearly angry, but it's just wrong. Dr. Cohen is a super kind, dapper (love the socks), brilliant, just a good devoted pain doc, big thanks to Dr. Cohen, Claudia, Eliza, & Sara for all you do on our behalf, we appreciate it immensely!

Aug 8th, 2013

Kind, compassionate & Determined to Get it Right! show details Kind, compassionate & Determined to Get it Right!
Jun 22nd, 2013

Dr. Cohen reviewed my medical records in great detail and really worked to find the best combination to treat my pain which had become an 8 at all times. It was draining and I literally cried myself to sleep, I'm not all the way there yet but I feel very much like we're on the right track. I am a little freaked out by the office space he shares, the doctors of P.R.I.D.E. are a different animal, he should not be affected by their patients . Theses patients can be seen lying around on the sofas & benches, lots of ranting but these are NOT Dr. Cohen's patients. He really could benefit from a more friendly & helpful staff, getting returned phone calls in a timely manner is most difficult & they will allow you to skip days/ weeks w/o your meds w/o involving Dr. Cohen who would be heartbroken if he knew his staff was not getting his patient's in for timely care. I do panic if I need a call back, it's a challenge. I hope that changes very soon, it doesn't resonate w/the doctor I've come to know, for the patient that got "VATS" of Nuycnta & developed an addiction is not taking responsibility for their own behavior & thus their predicament w/resulting addiction. It is your responsibility to take your meds responsibly, don't blame the doctor. It's so hard to get treatment these days, such irresponsible posts do everyone harm. Be responsible and honest and you will get better! Thank you Dr. Cohen!!!!!!

Get a competent office staff! show details Get a competent office staff!
Jul 8th, 2012

Dr Cohen seems to always be associated with terrible office staff. I have learned through the years that most "good" doctors have surrounded themselves with very strong and capable staff. Dr Cohen has never done this and I can't figure out why. He seems to be a very caring doctor, but has never had a strong staff to back him. He should know that a bad staff does nothing for his image. Get a competent and friendly staff Dr. Cohen... you are selling yourself short.

satisfied patient show details satisfied patient
May 29th, 2012

I have seen Dr.Cohen for years and I highly recommend him as a pain doctor. He does not label you as an addict for ANY reason and he listens carefully.He knows his stuff,and works diligently to remedy your specific pain issue. I was afraid of having to go on disability,and now I take only 2 meds and work 40hrs/week!!His office works with you on obtaining medications at a discounted price (through plans offered by the manufacturer) . His office staff and the organization has improved significantly, and the wait has improved as well. I used to dread calling his office, but they seem friendlier lately, and more willing to help. I miss Dawn, but Janis is just as helpful and caring, and very knowledgeable about her practice. I consider this office as one of the best in Dallas.

Dr Cohen is THE BEST for patients in pain show details Dr Cohen is THE BEST for patients in pain
Nov 14th, 2011

Dr Cohen is the best. Going there for treatment since 05, Before that at Baylor pain management and his care is head & shoulders above the rest. There is no one else in the city who can help a person dealing with chronic pain & the complex emotional issues that come with living with Pain. Yes, it is a hassle to deal with getting in at the new office, some office confusion, waiting, etc.It is worth it though!! The Nurse practioners have always been great, and have always conferred with Dr Cohen as needed. Great Doc.

Jun 27th, 2011

Dr. Cohen is great. He has taken care of my husband since 2005 when he was first needed a psychiatrist. Dr. Cohen is the only pain management/psychiatrist that I know of and with my husband's other conditions, this was a perfect match. Dr. Cohen is patient with my husband's long, convoluted explanations and questions. He has been stable on his meds for several years now and he works with his pain meds to get those right also. We started with Dr. Cohen when he was at his Travis St. office and, yes, it was more convenient and a lot quicker getting in and out of there for appointments. P.R.I.D.E. is harder to get to and we inevitably wait an hour or more to see Dr. Cohen. If we see his PA, Jill, she is much quicker - very prompt. We did have problems a couple of years ago about having to wait long periods of time for a PA. And once we were 15 mins. late getting there but the PA left for the day when we weren't there on time! But they seem to have gotten these problems straightened out. I highly recommend Dr. Cohen. The only other problem is that they don't take Medicaid.

A Good Doctor in a Poor Clinical Setting show details A Good Doctor in a Poor Clinical Setting
May 1st, 2011

Dr. Cohen has made a significant difference in my daily life by carefully understanding my pain problem. He spent the necessary time reviewing my records and listening to me. The process of trying different medicines and tweaking the dosages was just that-- a process. But we got there and have since maintained what works. These are serious medications- and have to be treated as such. Anyone who blames the doctor for their own mismanagement of meds is not accepting responsibility for their own situation-- so I hope others reading will not lay blame at Dr.Cohen's feet when they read of someone like this. Nothing could be further from the truth. Dr.Cohen and his PA's all are very caring, especially with regard to making sure that patients are taking the medications the way they're supposed to be-- and that the balance of improving a patient's quality of life with the risks involved is always being watched. My chief complaints then are not medical-- but practical. There is no excuse for having to wait an hour plus (sometimes longer) each and every time you're seen. There's no reason for grumpy, rude, rushed, incompetent and just plain unpleasant office staff. I dreaded phone calls over there- until I finally learned the names of 1-2 office managers/ lead nurses. Now I speak only with them. Still, anyone who knows about these things, understands just how hard it is to find a real pain practice with a great doctor like Cohen. So hopefully he reads this-- and knows, his patients value him-- but that he could really improve his support staff.

Aug 16th, 2010

Dr. Cohen is the only doctor in town who helped me with my pain. The people complaining probably just want lots of drugs that he wouldn't give them. He is very intelligent and definitely know how to treat pain. Wonderful, caring man.

Jul 14th, 2010

I would strongly not reccomend DR.Cohen to anyone. The wait time on an average day is between 3 to 4 hrs.I have had two occasions where I waited 6hrs to be seen and I only got to see the nurse practicioner. I have had one instance where I signed in had an Appointment that morning and that evening the nurse came out and asked me if I had an appointment they had forgotten about me.The staff is very unprofessional and the waiting time should be expected to be all day.The only positive thing I can say about DR. Cohen is he knows his medicine he stays on top of the newest and latest drugs.but that is not enough for me to continue treating with him.There are plenty other qualified doctors in Dallas I would highly recomend that no one goes to DR.Cohen and if you have please comment on this because everyone who sees him goes through this and some even worse.

Pain Control Doctor? Seriously? More like pill pusher and a jerk who just doesn't care. show details Pain Control Doctor? Seriously? More like pill pusher and a jerk who just doesn't care.
by Anna on Jun 24th, 2010

I first went to Dr. Cohen because I have chronic migraines. He first ignored that issue and immediately diagnosed me with fibromyalgia after poking a few spots, which other doctors have thought is ridiculous. He then gave me a pain medicine called Nucynta. He did NOT tell me that it was a highly addictive narcotic, and no other doctor has ever even heard of it because it is so new. He told me it was just a bit stronger than the tramadol (ultram) that I was currently taking at the time. He gave me VATS of that stuff every month and I would keep running out, so I'd get more. He never bothered to realize or care that he had prescribed me enough medicine to get out of control with an addiction problem and worse migraines. The medicine caused worsened depression and EXTREME physical and mental addiction. I had to go all the way to a hospital in Michigan to get my life back. The Nucynta turned me into a walking shell. It made me fall asleep standing up, in class, and just about everywhere. The pain was taking enough of my life already, then the medicine he was giving me took the rest of it. I'm 19 and having to deal with narcotic withdrawal while trying to be a pre-med neuroscience major at Baylor University in Waco. I want to be a neurologist and make sure that NO pain patient with pain like mine sees or gets medical advice from a doctor who calls himself a pain specialist while he hands out narcotics like candy to a migraine patient who is depressed and has a history of substance abuse... and as a pain "specialist" he should know that narcotics cause rebound headaches and migraines. Idiot. Please don't see him. He could have cared less about me. He didn't listen to a word I said and honestly I felt like he was just trying to get me out of his office as quickly as possible. Horrible experience. DON'T SEE DR. COHEN.

Great Experience show details Great Experience
May 12th, 2010

Dr. Cohen is a really good doctor. And his staff helped me to work with my insurance company when they stopped paying my bills. He is a very busy doctro and he and his staff do a great job working through the busy day. I feel cared for here.

Great Place show details Great Place
Feb 9th, 2010

This is a great place for neck and back pain

Great Doctor, Terrible Office Staff show details Great Doctor, Terrible Office Staff
by Long Time Patient on Jan 5th, 2010

Doctor Cohen is a wonderful Doctor. He takes time to listen, understand the problem and tries his best to find the solution.His new office staff is absolutely the worst. They don't care about the patient at all. They do not try and help solve problems with scheduling or medicine. Just absolutely terrible. They are always talking about other things when I go to the office. Just really bad, unprofessional staff and office. Wish Dr. Cohen was back at his old office on Travis....

Disagree with negative post saying don't waste your time - he changed my life significantly show details Disagree with negative post saying don't waste your time - he changed my life significantly
by Suzanne on Oct 2nd, 2009

I guess everyone has a unique experience with each doctor they see, but contrary to the review I read online, I had a very good experience overall. I have been treated by VERY good doctors over a period of more than 10 years and they tried lots of treatments including 3 surgeries, but nothing made a dent in my chronic pain - they were great doctors, but it is a difficult problem and much much harder to treat than acute pain. I had a very positive and life altering experience with Dr. Cohen and his treating staff. I have seen Dr. Cohen & his Nurse Practitioner, Dawn Dean for about 2 1/2 years for treatment of Chronic Pain. I would highly recommend them.I saw Dr. Cohen 3 times and otherwise saw Dawn, so rating how much time Dr. Cohen spent with me really doesn't create the right picture of my experience. Dawn is always friendly and interested and takes whatever time is necessary to listen to you and evaluate how you are doing and what might need to change. I didn't mind the wait usually, I sometimes had another appointment a few hours later and had to figure something out if it was a slow day, but I think there are just a ton of patients and perhaps not enough help. Since chronic pain is so incredibly difficult to treat, I was not sure when I went I initially went to doctor Cohen, if the new treatment would help, but within 60 days, my day to day pain had probably gone from an 8 to a 2 or 3 and after I got an epidural injection for some pain that was remaining from my cervical disk problems, that number went down to a 1. That is an incredible change in my life and surely worth whatever time it took.Not all doctors and patients are the right match, but if you have chronic pain, I would certainly give Dr. Cohen's practice a chance. They are excellent at pain management and do well at treating the whole person, the pain and the other problems the pain may cause. It is very likely that they can help you with what is a very difficult problem to treat (chronic pain). If they are the right match for you and you give them a chance, they may help you like it helped me.I did have a few dislikes which were related to the administrative details of the practice and may not be directly in Dr. Cohen's control since he joined an existing practice.Dislikes: It took 2 months to get my first appointment. I was sent paperwork to fill out before that visit and I was was somewhat offended by the tone of the initial paperwork as well as the signage around the area where the office staff works (where you pay and schedule appointments). Whatever needs to be said can be stated in a much more positive way than it is. Of course those signs pre-date Dr. Cohen at this practice. They just make it sound like you, the customer are out to try and trick them, you're a criminal or have other than honest intentions, and they make it clear that they are not going to do anything to help you in an extenuating circumstance.Other dislikes:Billing dept.Office staff and their knowledge of billing/treatment of customersAnother unfortunate issue I experienced was the billing dept and office staff. They were not very friendly and could not seem to figure out how a PPO worked. The billing department did not keep standard records regarding date you visited, amount you paid, amount you owed per your EOB, and what your balance was. If they do keep that, they would not provide it to me and did not seem to understand why a customer would need that information (I was overcharged by about $100 for my first 6 or 7 visits and just had to figure it out myself with EOB's).A PPO is pretty standard, the doctor who is a provider agrees to bill a standard contracted rate and the insured individual pays a % of that after meeting their deductible. As a CUSTOMER, why did I have to explain that to them over and over? As explained to me, Billing would give the office staff the amount or at least the amount used as the basis of what I was to pay. The problem is it was NEVER the contract rate. It was their full rate. The office staff would tell me I owed a % of that even though I knew what the contract rate was. When I tried to explain that I needed to pay my % on the "contracted" rate, the Office staff would argue that the amount WAS the contract rate when it was not - frustrating! If anyone is ever unsure of an amount, they can always call the insurance carrier to get the contract price. All other doctors I've seen either do that or bill insurance and then bill you based on the EOB they get back. This office couldn't figure out what they were supposed to charge but wanted you to pay them at time of service. The whole payment process was error prone, frustrating, and took a lot of work and diligence on my part to keep them charging me correctly. The few bills I did get from them were incorrect and I'd have to call and ask for a new corrected bill to be sent. Usually if I did get a bill, it was well after the service was rendered, one blood test was billed almost a year after it was done and one year I was charged my deductible (met in January/February) in November.A chief complaint is not being able to get an ongoing statement sent to me, something that lists your visits, what you should pay, what you did pay, and what you may owe or be owed. It could also list what the contract amount was, what the amount charged was - whatever, but I want to see a listing of my payments and how they relate to the EOB's from my insurance. I asked for it and they could not provide it so I had to come up with it myself and present it to them. They tried to charge me again for the amount they owed from overcharging me. The office staff has been much more friendly for the past 6 months and once I showed them my EOB, they did not argue with me about the amount I should pay, so perhaps the issues have been recognized and addressed. It was well worth experiencing some minor issues to have my excruciating 24x7 pain relieved.

Dr. Cohen is has so much experience, he thinks he knows everything. show details Dr. Cohen is has so much experience, he thinks he knows everything.
by Veronica on Apr 28th, 2009

Dr Cohen is too arrogant, in my opinion. I spent 5 months in so much pain I could not get out of bed for over 2 hours a day because of his incorrect diagnoses. If you are in pain, I would avoid going to him, as the PRIDE institute he works for pushes SUBOXONE, and heavy exercise to get through pain, which just isn't very effective for most of us.