inactive

Howard S Taylor MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.3

November 18th, 2015
Desperate to get into a neurologist for a headache that has been constant for 4 weeks (at the time) Dr. Taylor had an opening and was available to order an MRI. My husband attended the visit with me out of concern. Our wait was over 30 minutes. Within 5 minutes after entering Dr. Taylor's office and describing my symptoms his cell phone rang and he answered it! He gets out of his seat to head out of the room, and says to the person on the phone, "We'll have to get together for dinner. My parents are in town." My husband and I couldn't believe it. This was the most unprofessional behavior I had ever witnessed from an MD. We almost walked out right there. Knowing we would still be charged for the visit, we waited for an MRI order (primary) and listened to what he had to say. Due to depression I had been experiencing he suggested I DC my Zoloft. To him it seemed my headache started with the Zoloft. I had taken it years before with no side effects. I'm not sure he was even listening to what I was explaining. At one time he wanted to blame the headache on my pillow. Then he showed us pictures in books from his library as if he was doing show and tell. Another call comes in from the desk outside and he excuses himself again. We could hear him talking about another patient in the hall. We were both appalled by this bedside manner, that we literally laughed and felt we were on a hidden camera. I would not waste my time with this guy!

February 28th, 2013
To the contrary
My experience with Dr. Taylor was very positive and helpful, and I greatly appreciate his thoughtfulness as a human being, and his insight and knowledge as an experienced specialist in neurology. I had an extremely major neurosurgery fourteen years ago, and feel I've run a long gamut in medical care for a long time, and the care has ranged in quality from very poor to very good. My one appointment, to date, with Dr. Taylor, was all the way on the "very good" side, plus some surprising and very heartening "above and beyond". Although I arrived depressed and dreading the appointment, expecting little more than a 'going through the motions' exam, as unfortunately can be typical, instead it was really helpful. I felt encouraged and understood by Dr. Taylor, who immediately put me at ease. He could not have been more kind and insightful concerning the medical issues, which involve a few challenging complications that I necessarily must live with. Dr. Taylor was attentive, pleasant, thorough, respectful, and considerate. (He also even walked me out, and reprimanded one unpleasant employee who all but accosted me as I passed by, in regard to the financial arrangements.) Hardly a 'goldfish' patient, (my only insurance is the lowest cost Medicare plan, and at the time of my visit was even exempt from the usual co-pay). It is unlikely that Dr. Taylor's office is making any money from my care. My appreciation is that much greater for recognizing the professional generosity and altruism he demonstrates, in addition to the deep medical knowledge and specialized expertise in neurology. Illness can bring such feelings of isolation and alienation, whether or not a person's condition, like my own, is immediately recognizable, and those psychological factors can complicate things even more. Dr. Taylor understood this in such a refreshing, common sense way. It is quite significant for me personally to have Dr. Taylor as my neurologist now because I feel reassured that he is sincerely 'in my corner' and fundamentally understands what I am dealing with. I especially appreciate his empathetic attitude and positive reinforcement of my continuing progress. He shows himself, unmistakably, as a real human being who cares.

June 8th, 2012
Don't Go
I found him to be very unprofessional. I had to sit in the waiting room for 90 minutes. I saw him getting candy from his receptionist while I had to sit and wait for him. He ran after a patient to give her the cell phone she left (one of his clerical staff could have done that). After the patient before me left, I still had to wait for 13 minutes while I saw him visiting with the telephone man. This is deplorable!

November 10th, 2011
Poor ethics don't make a good doctor, they make a car mechanic..
I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome, and it's at the stage where I'm seriously considering surgery. I saw an orthopedic surgeon who administered cortisone shots in my wrists to temporarily relieve my symptoms. He said that I'd have to see a neurologist (Dr. Taylor) for some testing to determine the severity of my condition before he would consider surgery, but that the cortisone would likely effect the test results. When Dr. Taylor's office called to set up the appointment, I informed the secretary about the likelihood of the cortisone effecting the test results and to please relay that info to Dr. Taylor before I committed to to the appointment. I was also under the impression that all would have to pay was my $30 copay, which was my bad assumption. However, Dr. Taylor basically insisted that I come in for the testing even though the cortisone was still in effect, and low and behold, the tests showed that my condition was essentially mild at best. A few weeks later I got a bill in the mail for $409. Had I known that I was going to have to pay that much for essentially inconclusive test results, I would have waited until my symptoms returned to the stage where I was unable to work, sleep, or function normally on most any level, before I had the tests done. I requested that Dr. Taylor please re-do the test at no/little cost, considering he had me come in before the cortisone wore off, to which he refused, stating that he didn't think the cortisone effects the test results and therefore, that the tests were accurate. Well then my question is, why would the doctor who administered the cortisone say they it would effect the test results if that were not, in fact, the case? My conclusion is that either Dr. Taylor genuinely doesn't care to know the facts regarding these types of situations, or he thought he could pull one over on me, double up on office visits, having me come in for testing when he knew the test's wouldn't be accurate, only to have me come back for more testing in the future.. If Dr. Taylor had known that the cortisone would effect the test results, he should have told me to wait to come in until my symptoms were at their worst. If he didn't know that would be the case, then that makes him and uninformed doctor, which is basically a bad doctor. Either way, I don't recommend using Dr. Taylor for your neurological testing needs.

July 19th, 2010
He should not be a Doctor of any kind
I spent more time on the paper work than he did with me. I have repeatedly lost my balance and fell. I left his office thinking I was crazy, until i fell down 20 steps. I have been to another neurologist after my visit with Taylor, He is the one that told me about this web site.

October 27th, 2009
I have a drug reaction to Dilantin after 35 years. I had to wait two weeks to see him, and then another 45 minutes past my appointment time. Then it was only 15 minutes. Put me on a drug to treat Partial Seizures, and I have suffered in the past from Gran-Mal. I have been under control for 34 years on this medicine. Dr. Taylor placed me on Lyrica this medicine gave me a reaction,so, we stopped it and Dr. Taylor was going to call in a new medicine to start me on so he could eventually start to taper me off Dilantin. I had a question about side effects and he said hea really had to go did not have time(It was a Friday Afetnoon) He never did call it into my Pharmacy. I am still on my Dilantin and now waiting to see a new Neurologist, and I will not go back to East Portland Neurology.