Dr. Howard Weiss MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

October 18th, 2016
HOPE/RSD
Dr. Weiss listened to me when my doctor would not. He diagnosed & treated my RSD. He takes his time, he listens, & he truly cares!! I have & will continue to recommend him!

July 16th, 2014
Avoid at all cost, they don't care!
I've been a patient of this dr. For almost 10yrs. I've had over 50 surgeries all different (from kidney stones, to failed spinal surgery.) I began going here because at first they "acted"as if they cared. I have fought to stay alive over a dozen times. I am suppose to be treated for my spine which is broke, and abdomen pain because to take me to surgery is life threatening when it comes to my abdomen because it has so much scar tissue the surgeons can't see and my last one I nearly hemorrhaged to death because an artery didn't get closed and kept bleeding until I had over 7 pints of blood in my abdomen. Dr. Weiss agreed he would treat the scar tissue pain but as yet to do anything when I've ripped it causing me to bend over into a fetal position. My spine I have had to endure 14 epidermal blocks and have yet to get any relief! The last selected nerve block he did caused me to have a spinal fluid leak that he refused to fix and sent me home with some strong narcotics (the same narcotics he accuses people of abusing) I went home and for over 3 months unable to barely get out of bed. I called many times and he just told me to up my narcotics. Well doc i Don't WANT YOUR MEDICATION I want to get rid of this horrible spinal headache!!! After the 3 months past which was most of summer he finally took me back and did a blood patch which made a world of difference! First off to become his patient you must sign a pain contract in which you agree not to get any pain Meds of any kind from any other person including the emergency room. I have had to suffer thru several kidney stones without pain Meds. I have had joints replaced and was allowed to have pain medicine for just a couple of days even though I was to be on pain medicine for around a month. I had pain in my upper back for 5 years I complained they did an x-Ray and said I had minor arthritis. Well a few weeks later I woke up and could not move my head or neck. Finally I got them to do a MRI and I had a ruptured disc, and bone spurs so large they were cutting into my spinal cord (which meant at some point I would be paralyzed from the neck down). I just had surgery on two joints one went as planned but one did not! According to everything I've read I should be in pain for 6-8 weeks, but I wasn't even allowed two weeks of pain medicine. Then I was called a drug addict in front of my mom who worked in the ER for over twelve years and was appalled he called me an addict. As a patient I believe this is medical negligence. Leaving me to suffer on purpose is cruel, especially since I've done everything asked of me!!! Now I've just been informed he wants me off all medication (apparently my broken back has been healed, the ruptured disc is gone, and my abdomen no longer has any scar tissue, not to mention the kidney stones I produce from both kidneys at the rate of one a week so that's two a week I'm expected to endure without anything for pain, which if you've ever had one you know how painful they are! This doctor and his staff have NO empathy, no compassion, and could care less if you live at a zero pain level or a ten!! I have gotten so desperate I've considered going to his office and make him and his team of "nurses" watch as I end my life! They make you frustrated, depressed, angry, and like you are no better than someone who steals to get drug money! This is how alcoholics are created, drug addicts, and people that get so desperate they'd rather die than live a life of pain so bad that getting to the bathroom is a struggle!! My father died and I had to ride almost 1000 miles and was not allowed one extra pain pill to get thru it, I mean I didn't sleep for three days because I paced the hallways taking care of my mom who has a heart condition, and I called three times begging for help because stupid me thought "PAIN MANAGEMENT" meant if I was in pain they'd help. NOT. I have kept my phone records to prove how many times I called and how long it took them to get back to me. If U miss your appt than he can get rid of you with no notice, which means where are U going to get the Meds he has put you on?? I was told by him to go to the ER and have them call once I arrived and I was dumb enough to believe this, but the ER doctors will not call it's his way of getting rid of you! I've had over 130 broken bones in my life, and I also had my first disease by 13 so I've had pain Meds in my life since I was a kid, it's been over 30 years I cannot help I've built up a tolerance to medications. So what does that mean I'm a bad person? I've tried everything else before I ever was put on narcotics but because that's how I get relief (not like I'm pain free by any means!). I've seen thousands of doctors in my lifetime and I can name on one hand how many were good and that's a shame. May GOD help us all!!mb

April 13th, 2013
Too Many Mistakes Amounting to a LOT
I have had mediocre health since my childhood, so I have seen my fair share of Dr.'s & I would DEFINATELY NOT rate this office on my list of well run. While they have improved slightly over the past year, they have always been a running joke in my family. Comments like, "Noooo, they didn't goof up your medication again? Not them." I have been with MPM for about 7 years now, & the ONLY reasons I haven't switched are that I am from out of state & don't know who "is" good here, for most of my time w/ MPM I could not even walk (HORRID pain), I have other health issues which keep me far from energetic, & I DO like Kathey, Dr. Weiss' internest. She is thorough, & quite possibly the only one in that office who is. On prescriptions. Often times it has taken me several calls to recieve my script in the mail. When it doesn't arrive on time (or hasn't even been sent at all after calling) I'm the one left waiting until THE DAY OF its being due to try & straighten things out. Which might not be so bad if MPM were like other Dr. offices where you can immediately get a nurse on the phone or recieve a call back, but here, sadly this is not the case. You will wait, & wait, & wait, & then you have to call them back as the day is winding to an end. You will call & tell the secretary (whom you've already spoke w/ & who repeatedly sends you to an answering service) that they still haven't gotten back to you & that you need your medication. Not fun, especially since the nurses there are not the nicest when it comes to these thing's. You can always expect to be spoken to in the tone of "bad child," or the "addict tone," or the "blame tone." Many times I've heard an accusitory, "well I don't know, we mailed it," or "oh our answering machine wasn't working this week so we didn't get any msgs people left," etc. & so on. There's been many excuses through the years. So don't call anyone normally due around that week & let them know?! Again, this wouldn't be a big deal if their mistakes were not on a constant basis. Many times I've had to tell them to give me me a new script & that I would return the other as soon as it arrived in the mail (if they sent it at all, & thankfully I have always eventually recieved it, because who knows, if they screwed that up & I hadn't returned a late one, they'd probably never allow this exchange situation again I'm sure). The sad part is, I ALWAYS call w/ enough time alloted for the mail to arrive & not be an issue. I also have NEVER given them reason for any distrustful tones. EVER. I am like a Dr.'s dream patient. So my guess is they just act this way to everyone since there are so many problems w/ pain management drugs these days... but really, it's RUDE!! In the end, many patients like myself live out of town, & in this event of late scripts now have to spend a 1/2 day or longer driving back & forth for a prescription! Again, not a big deal if they didn't screw it up on a regular basis, but we've come to expect this behavior at our household & are now shocked when there aren't issues w/ my prescription. Also on MANY occassions they have written the wrong date on my prescriptions, even the wrong YEAR!! Sometimes I let it go if it's only a day or two off, but this eventually builds up through the months & you end up short in supply for a month when they're repeatedly shorting you a few days every other month or so. Speaking of which... another issue I find in concern to this (especially since, again, you CANNOT get a nurse on the phone but are rather directed to a machine), any Dr. I've had in the past wants to make sure you have extra medication on hand in case there are problems such as these. They've always given me my prescriptions a few days early here and there. A few have actually written scripts w/ extra to keep on hand for cases such as these. It's forseeable, this is life, we're humans right? It's gonna happen so be prepared. Not the case w/ Dr. Weiss. Dr. Weiss WILL NOT fill on any day except for the fill date 30 days ahead. Again, this would be fine if they weren't continual problems, but there are. If you are going on vacation (I leave for home, out of state, for a month at a time some times) they will only forward you a 2 week supply. Almost like you need babysitting. I've been w/ them SEVEN YEARS now! I think the trust factor should come into play! I find this rude. I've explained to them that my state is far worse w/ filling these types of medications, especially when the script is from out of state, & on some occassions I haven't been able to fill them at all back home. Not good. Especially since I was under contract on many of these occassions for jobs when I could still work (I was self employed prior to our move to IL & much of my work would still flow in from out of state). Being under contract for events which only fall on one day means even if my script didn't come, I HAD to be there. How is that possible w/ a physically dependant body? Again, I find this rude, & showing a lack of care & empathy for their patients. Lastly on scripts, if I ask that one be called in to the pharmacy (especially if I'm also calling one in at the same time that has to be mailed - in this case it WILL not be called in until you call back & remind them), they NEVER remember to do this. In fact this occurec today. My script is due, they never called it in, & now I have to wait until the weekend is done to call and nag them, & this will probably carry out until tues. or wed. before I see the script. Whatever... Out of these past seven years I can count on my hands how many times they've actually called in this particular script on time. This really tells me one thing only. They DON'T care! Even if they're overworked/understaffed, it still tells me they don't care because otherwise they'd do something about it. I've had to call back sometimes 4-5 times to get them to call a script in that's been due for days! VERY rude, more than inconveinient, & annoying! This behavior has also spilled over into insurance issues where I've asked that they not get prior authorization for surgeries until I decide to go through w/ them. Instead, because they went ahead & called in a prior auth anyway, I ended up having to wait months longer to get a surgery I did in fact decide to go through w/ & needed then, as I had lined up jobs based on this surgery (which had always helped enough to let me work at the time). Because I had not gotten the surgery after they called without my knowing, I had to wait an additional 3 months longer (which I knew about & was exactly the reason why I told them, & warned them not to call insurance yet). On top of all this, insurance wanted me to PAY for ANOTHER apt w/ them for the SAME preliminaries! ALL OVER AGAIN when that was what my last apt covered! I screamed at them to straighten it out over several phone calls & they finally did, but they weren't originally willing to. My spending another $150 was just fine for their goofs. Another HUGE mistake of theirs I had to deal with was in filling out dissability paperwork for my school loans. Every month that goes by racks up interest. I let them know this. Yet they took four months w/ repeated phone calls from me to do anything. I was told by the head nurse Sandy that she had kept telling Dr. Weiss to take take care of it. Finally in the end they admitted that they lost the paperwork. This was after he originally filled out paperwork wrong on another occassion & sent it back to me, & yet on another occassion filled it out & sent it to the wrong address (or never sent it at all since my school loans told me they never recieved it)! On another occassion I needed a prior auth for a medication. For MONTHS I called Sandy trying to figure why insurance wasn't getting anything from her. I left several msgs with the phone number she should call. Turns out she had been calling the WRONG insurance number... for MONTHS! Just so irritating. Especially since I KNOW if I didn't keep on her, nothing would have come out of it. And here I was giving her the correct number and several others she could call later to try and figure out what the problem was. She'd sit on hold with them forever, & I couldn't figure out why since no other dr. office I'd been to had these issues with my prior auths. Many times I'd asked her if she was calling the right number (sector) for my insurance too. Grrrrr. Fine, this is all office nonsense... perhaps the Dr. is good you're thinking? While they have gotten better w/ promptness I have waited in their office for hours, usually now, about an hour. I've had other Dr.'s who had waiting lists for months to have an office visit w/ them, were covetted by a community, & THEY were capable of always keeping their apts on time. So in my eyes, no Dr. has an excuse for this. They need to allot enough time per patient. If they're not, then they're either greedy, or taking on too many patients. I personally have friends and fam who are Dr.'s so I also get their take on things which forms my opinion on here as well of course. I have had to actually tell Dr. Weiss to "not go anywhere yet" because I still had question as he was inching out of the door. IN THE MIDDLE of my questions, & after he didn't ask if I had any! Normally I just want things to go quickly since I keep a 3rd shift due to my husband & want to get out of there & go back to bed. So I NEVER keep him. If I have questions however, I want him to sit & answer them thoroughly for my money. It made me so irrate! I'm still clueless on many concerns! Anything I've learned has been online or from Kathy (who I ask to see over him now) his internest (or at least that what I think she is, but they schedule apts w/ her for me all the time). She is WONDERFUL & everything you expect a Dr. should be! I have zero complaints on her. Unlike Dr. Weiss, she is also very personable, & if that's what it takes for me to feel like you truely care about my health, then so be it! I'm just not down w/ his bedside manner so much. He does offer small "weather type chat," but Kathy is much more GENUINE. Oddly my husband (who has been to my apts as well) & I were a little perplexed though on a few occassion w/ Dr. Weiss. He tried pushing a morphine based med on me to which I did not want. It was as if he couldn't praise the drug enough, & REALLY wanted me to try it. Then on another apt when I questioned him about the drug (curious about it), & reminded him of how he had really pushed to get me on it, he had no memory on it. He didn't even have a memory of telling any patients about, yet told us he was putting several on it, & trying to get others on it since he liked it so much. Now I know it's illegal to give gifts as drug reps any more, but my husband being at both apts found the whole thing as odd as I did. My husband just brought up concerns on that & kinda wondered... so that's all I'm saying on that. On other occassions I asked Dr. Weiss about steroid shots, & steroid shots with the ablations causing problems later or scaring, he seemed to dismiss it, & looked at me oddly claiming that, "no, no such thing was the case." I really found this strange since I swore past Dr.'s had told me this to be the case. I went home, looked it up online, & yes, all true... but the funny thing was, on a later apt, Dr. weiss donoted that these shot can do such things & that I had to be careful. What the...? Now I could go on & on here, but over all, you get the idea. Things aren't run/managed well, they're not always the nicest, & some things are just over all odd. They not always as personal as some offices where you've built up such an on going relationship may be either. Most offices I've had... in fact all, now that I think of it, where you see them regularly just bill you once & if they don't get anything from you, you pay at your next apt. Not the case here. I let one go once out of laziness & my script didn't show up. Confused I called & they rudely directed me to billing where I questioned things & of course got a rude response. Really!? I said, "I've been with you six years, did you really think this was necessary!?" They had sent me into collections after only a month! I see them every three manditorally! Just wow. And the fact that nobody does a thing... no call saying, "hey we know you've been a good patient, but our policy is this & you may want ot pay your bill or we'll send you into collections & not send your medication... instead we'll just do NOTHING!!!!" Again, this tells me something on how they consider their patients. The world revolves on money I get it, but let's face it, everyone likes kindness & above all else, isn't that something one should expect from of all places, a doctors office who KNOWS you!? Again, just wow. I've had other doctors offices who would never dream of doing anything like that to me. Hope this helps. I'm not looking for new tactics on my back care at present, so it's apts and meds for now. Once I start looking for surgeons again & being a bit more proactive I will be leaving this office though. Being irritated every month is not fun. I always dread calling or even speaking w/ (if so lucky), or going to their office. :( But I do LOVE Kathy. She will listen, answer questions, ALL questions, help w/ other health issues if she can, be patient, etc. She is GREAT & I wish she'd get her own practice some day. I'd see her then. :) Dr. Weiss has done my ablations which turned out fine and lasted about a month each. I also had a steroid shot which I didn't react at all well to where it numbed the bottom half of my body so badly I could walk, and I got really, really sick. So not sure if it was placement of shot or just me. But I will say I have always trusted his doing my ablations 100%. He doesn't make me worry there. I just don't care for his care or lack of concern. I don't need my hand held, but I DO want my questions fully answered for my money, and I do want to see attentiveness.

March 20th, 2013
not a good experience-unfriendly staff,not willing to work with patient,do not return messages promptly

August 7th, 2012
not good experience and don't go to their friends that they recommend

May 4th, 2012
EXCELLENT PAIN MANAGEMENT PHYSICIAN
I have been a patient of Dr Weiss for 10 years. The only reason I rated him "good" for waiting time during a visit is because it does take time for him to get to each appointment. This is not a bad thing because he ALWAYS spends as much time as a patient needs, sometimes making him run behind. Dr Weiss is an excellent pain management physician, and I would not want to see anyone else other than him for my pain issues.

March 19th, 2011
Spent the time to explain thigns