Physiatrist (physical, rehabilitation), Pain Management Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by Practice Fusion.
An Excellent Doctor, very patient oriented show details An Excellent Doctor, very patient oriented
by Allen in Sonoma on Nov 24th, 2015

My issues with discomfort and increasing pain from sciatica and confirmed by an X-ray showing spondylolisthesis in my lumbar 4-5 led me to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hoyman Hong at St. Francis Memorial Hospital. Due to a fairly long waiting list for an appointment (due to his excellent reputation as a physiatrist), I scheduled in advance through his office a likely needed MRI after the Monday appointment in order to speed the process for treatment. I had a thorough and productive physical and verbal exam from Dr. Hong which delineated the general lumbar situation as indicated from the prior X-ray, but further required an MRI (as expected) in order to clearly see the specific problem. I left his office, got the MRI locally in San Francisco, and returned the disk to Dr. Hong's office and handed it to him late in the day. He said he would take a look at it soon. As I was pulling in the garage at home, I got a call from him directly and he told me I had a cyst pressing on the nerves in the spinal canal that should be treated quickly. Untreated it could have quite serious consequences soon. Within a half hour his office arranged patient rescheduling in order to do the minimally invasive procedure in three days on Thursday. The procedure under conscious sedation and with a fluoroscope for real time imaging took an hour to aspirate/dismember the cyst in the facet joint and inject an epidural steroid injection to reduce inflammation and pain. For three days afterwards there was considerable pain due to Dr. Hong's necessary strenuous efforts to eliminate the cyst which led to jostling the region and the impinging nerves. I took pain medication for that period, but within a few days the pain was gone - some resulting from the procedure, but more importantly the pain that had been an issue for months from spinal stenosis. Now and for the past six weeks I have had no pain or sciatica. It is a wonderful relief. While perhaps not a permanent solution since back problems (and sometimes cysts) have a tendency to recur, it is a blessing. I am so glad to have been in the good hands of Dr. Hong and his extremely quick response to what can be a quite serious problem if untreated in time. Office waits are compensated by the time he will devote to you as a patient. He is very personable, listens well, explains things properly, is very knowledgeable and capable, and takes a real interest in and spends appreciable time with his patients. I recommend him highly.

by Dale Charnock on Oct 28th, 2015

Everything about the appointment was EXCELLENT. The only reason I did not rate the Follow Up line is because it has only been several hours since our visit. I am certain either he or the office staff will Follow Up. Everyone was very professional and very thorough. Thank you!

Jun 4th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong provides the highest level of care with the utmost professionalism. He is patient with his patients, taking the time to listen in order to best diagnose. I never feel rushed. He genuinely cares and seems driven to help his patients feel better.

Apr 9th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Dr Hong is very attentive.

Mar 26th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

I am completely satisfy! I am confident that I am getting the best care for all of my complicated and delicate multiple spine injuries!

Mar 26th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

No matter how late he is with my appointment while he is helping others, he always takes time with me to make sure that I understand what we are doing and the direction we are headed. I never feel rushed or hurried.

Mar 15th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Even though Dr. Hong tortures :) us when he performs the tests, “he does not enjoys it” his words and he does get us closer to getting fix.

Mar 14th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong's strength is his knowledge and expertise. He is confident & competent. On the table u r surrounded by a gentle caring staff. His rpts r detailed & accurate. His challenge is w/patients who r technical & detailed who want to understand.

Mar 6th, 2015

Dr. didn't follow up on any of the things he said he would. Useless.

Feb 18th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Very thorough review of all my medical issues. Left no stone unturned.

Jan 16th, 2015 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is amazing. He truly cares about his patients. I would recommend him without reservation. He is great.

Dec 14th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Hong. I had a strange pain in my leg, and he immediately found the cause from the emg test, and explained it thoroughly with diagrams, answering all questions about my ailment and the medication he prescribed.

Sep 25th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I am a new patient of Dr. Hong. I immediately felt very comfortable with him. He is professional yet down to Earth.

Sep 11th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

After suffering from back pain for two years and trying all conservative measures, my one injection by Dr Hong has relieved my pain completely! I'm so grateful for his skill, competence and compassion.

Aug 6th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

hi, i just want to say that doctor hong provides more than medical care, he is a gentleman and a healer who saw to my concerns in an immediate and timely as well as relieving way and thank you....

Jul 24th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hongs concern for my wellbeing was genuine.

Jul 19th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Efficient. Provided lots of useful information and helpful suggestions. Not rushed.

Jun 21st, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong was extremely helpful as we dealt with me issue. He was quick to resolve the issue and come to the best solution for me.

Jun 5th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is the best Pain management doctor in the whole wide world!! I have never met a Dr. so understanding, kind, patient, listens to my needs, has great bed side manners, honest, over all the Best!! I would recommend Him to everyone!!!

May 29th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is an expert in pain management and an awesome doctor. He is very gifted in diagnostics and very practical about treatment and treatment options. He is hands on and very skilled and caring.

May 29th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is a wonderful physician.

May 15th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr Hongos a total professionalism every way. He is thorough, listens and answers all my questions. He is a compassionate and warm physician who treats his patients with respect and concern. He is a wonderful doctor and I trust him implicitly.

May 15th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I have had a number of epidural doctors, and Dr. Hong is the most gracious and caring back doctor I have had. Epidurals have different lengths of time that they work. The ones I have had from Dr. Hong have lasted near 6 months. I also appreciate Dorthy

Apr 30th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

After getting a run around from other providers, Dr Hong was the only one who did anything to help me!

Apr 30th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

He took extra time to address my needs and come up with a well thought out and comprehensive solution to fix my ailments.

Feb 27th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

First visit with Dr. Hong, shows authentic concern for the potential outcome of the patient. Asked important questions and participated within a two-way conversation, not just his way or the highway like so many others . Seems like a regular guy !

Feb 23rd, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr Hong is outstanding. He made a quick diagnosis and developed a very effective treatment plan. He has a positive personality and really cared about solving my back pain problem. His assistant Dorothy is great as well.

Feb 22nd, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Thorough , clear and compassionate

Feb 14th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is a total professional in every way from his bedside manner to his ability to listen and give options for treatment. He is truly a kind and compassionate physician who never seems to run out of ideas to help keep my pain at a controllable level

Jan 23rd, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Hong is fantastic. He is clear, concise, concerned, obviously knows his 'stuff' and has a positive manner that's infectious. On a doctor's scale of 1 to 10, he's a 15

Doctor Awesome, staff terrible show details Doctor Awesome, staff terrible
Apr 14th, 2011

I have had to call their office about 4 times over the past week to remind them to set up my back MRI appointment, my followup review and my wait in the office was almost 1 hour. Dr. Hong is great, but his staff appear to not care about you at all. This is my BACK we're talking about, not my pinky.