Dr. Hugh Babineau MD Patient Reviews

November 9th, 2016
Good experience
Dr. Babineau was very knowledgeable, able to answer all questions easily. Very patient. Surgical experience went very well, although I had a few questions post-op. Dr. Babineau took all questions seriously and answered them thoroughly for both my husband and me. Still doing well 7 years post op.

March 27th, 2016
Very professional. I went to see him for pain and he gave me my options and when I asked for his advice he gave it and backed it with reasons. I felt very comfortable with him and his staff. Absolutely no problems and feel blessed to have him available.

August 24th, 2014
Find another doctor!
I saw Dr. Babineau at my consultation, he seemed very nice. I saw him right before going into surgery, again very nice. That was the last time I have ever seen him, even when his nurse practitioner wanted him to come look at me because she thought my band had slipped, he never looked at me. If you are wanting a doctor who cares about you before, during and after the lapband surgery....look elsewhere.

March 27th, 2014
WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!!! IM 3 YEARS POST OP! WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN AND WITH DR. BABINEAU.....(GASTRIC SLEEVE)

July 26th, 2013
great experience
Dr. Babineau is very smart. He is in surgery most of the time so he doesn't see patients all day in the office because he can't be two places at once, who can? Freda is like a family member now to me. His other staff is very helpful. Laurie is very sweet. Highly recommend!!!

March 28th, 2013
Current Patient - Very Distressed
I read the reviews and I decided after reading all of them, I'd write my own. I am a current patient of Dr. Babineau's and therefore I am needing to remain anonymous because I am having problems and no one seems to care. I have some friends who have been treated the same way and know some other doctors who are warning patients to have their bands taken out if at all possible because of the VAST amount of people they've treated that have either had complications resulting in death, disability or emergency surgery. My family and physician are urging me to get it out. I had lapband in late summer 2010. I did not lose any weight for 5 months following surgery. What they tell you to expect after surgery in the nutrition classes taught by Frida (who is a nurse but not a gastric patient of any kind) isn't anything close to how it really is. I was starving myself and had no help of any kind. Just constant fills. I was throwing up every day after eating. This band should not be for food addicts. Obese "foodies" are accustomed to eating big bites and very quickly. It's an extremely hard thing to stop or modify because you've been doing it for 30 years. Sure, they tell you to eat smaller bites and portions and not to drink while eating but they don't tell you that you have to eat a teaspoon at a time, liquify it in your mouth and then hope it stays down. As obese people, we don't recognize that "full" signal going off in our heads. If we did, we wouldn't be obese. If we weren't addicted to food, we wouldn't be fat. I digress. Over the next 2 years, I lost 80lbs. I had a set back in May 2012 when I aspirated reflux (from my band being too tight) and was in the hospital a week. Dr. Babineau didn't come in until I was there 4 days. He took all my fluid out and that was that. Once home, I gained 20lbs in 2 months. He agreed to slowly start filling it back up. I lost the weight quickly. It finally "clicked". I didn't throw up as much and I listened to that "full" cue I had long eaten past all my life. It was a lightbulb moment of "Oh! That's when I'm full! I get it now." In Jan 2013, I started having unexplained abdominal pain. It was persistent. I thought I was constipated. I remedied that and the pain remained. I went to Babineau's office and Lindsey took out fluid. It helped a little but not much. The pain was primarily in my port area and radiated into my back. I never saw Babineau. I made two trips to the ER in two months. Their MRI's and CT scans were negative. Everyone started looking at me like I was making things up. Including my husband and family members. So, I did the best I could do and handled my business, all while in pain. I finally found a pain mgmt doctor. So, it's controlled. I had a HYDA (or w/ever you call it) scan and it was negative. So, what does Babineau do? Nothing. He doesn't call me. I go up there to speak with someone on his staff and I was told they were too busy. I left a note. I got a call today, 3 days later, telling me all was normal. My pain mgmt doctor was kind enough to order an endoscopy. So, Babineau is going to wait on THOSE results... a test he didn't even order. A test I had to get ordered from another doctor! This man has no personality - he doesn't spend any time with you. He doesn't try to get to know you as a patient. You're just a number to him, a dollar sign. Lindsey is really nice. But, she's limited given who she works for. He will make no money by taking this band out of me so why should he call me back. If my stomach rips open or corrodes and I get an infection and meet my demise like Mr. Massey's daughter, then I ask that you add me and my family to your lawsuit, sir. I have two young children. I've lost a daughter myself so I know your pain and grief and I am sorry she died such a preventable death. I worry about meeting the same fate but no one will listen to me. No one ever listens until it's too late. DO NOT GET LAP BAND!! You may or may not lose weight and ultimately you will face more health problems! It HURTS! I did not do this for vanity. I did this for my depression and bone disease and to be able to look the way I feel. But now I'm in as much pain, if not more, than I was prior to surgery. Just different areas of pain now. My friend had corrosion to her band and all her tests and scans were negative. She went in to convert to the sleeve and that is when they found the huge hole in her stomach. Her band was taken out and she was told she could never have another WL surgery. She could have died. If she hadn't gone in for the conversion, she would have.

September 17th, 2012
Use someone else
What they tell you in group was not my experience. They have been no help to me with problems I am experiencing since surgery. Please check into your options I wish I had found someone else.

May 21st, 2012
Awful !!!!
Rudest people you will ever meet. They are way more interested in quantity vs quality and empathy for their patient is ZERO.

October 19th, 2010
Gastric Bypass 2006
I found Dr. Babineau to be very direct and to the point. He addressed all of my concerns, and I felt that he was confident in his abilities as a doctor. I have recommended him to several of my friends, and they all have liked him and their surgeries went well. This doctor isn't the kind to sit around and chit chat; he is all about the business at hand and then he moves on. If you don't like that, then you probably won't like him. But, we liked him and loved his staff.

January 7th, 2009
This doctor has a great staff and that is it. He is arrogant and has the attitude that nothing can possibally be wrong with any surgery that he has done. Therefore, seventeen months out, this cost my daughter her life. She had numerous returns to the hospital. He could not wait to send her home better or not. He makes too many remarks about what it CANNOT BE, rather than looking and solving a problem. RUN PEOPLE!