Dr. Hugh Calkins MD Patient Reviews

• Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Baltimore, MD

June 21st, 2016
Professional and Knowledgeable
Dr. Calkins is very professional, knowledgeable, and personable. He listens to the patient and actually pays attention to what the patient says.

January 14th, 2016
Afib
I saw Dr Calkins initially for a second opinion about managing my Afib after being told by another cardiologist to "live with it." After reviewing my records and discussing with me, he said that even though my type of Afib only had about a 70% change of correction that my age (only 66), health and activity level made it advisable to try to correct before the window of opportunity closed. He worked out a plan for me including new medication, a cardio conversion in a month and plans for a catheter ablation within 6 months. He was attentive and supportive. He gave me his email address if I had any questions. We followed his plan and after the electro conversion I never went back into Afib. He did the ablation about 5 months later, and I have been in sinus rhythm ever since, with no sign of ever going back into Afib. He was wonderful and supportive and his assistants were also excellent. The staff at Johns Hopkins made me feel as though i was they're only patient! I have been Afib free for several years now and the only medication I take is for a prophylactic anti coagulation regimen indicated for my age and I have slight bradycardia (resting pulse 52 - 55). Warfarin is a minor inconvenience and I feel great! I still keep in touch with Dr. Calkins via e-mail once or twice a year. I highly recommend him and his team for anyone with heart arrhythmia issues

November 12th, 2015
Dangerous Doctor
Hugh Calkins is a dangerous doctor.

August 29th, 2015
Amazing doctor
I have been seeing Calkins for 15+ years and he has been of immense help in treating my AF and FIB problems. He communicates well and responds quickly to any email questions. He has worked hard to help me maintain a good quality of life...still sailing and playing tennis. I highly recommend him.

March 7th, 2015
My husband needed a 2nd opinion (had been advised to have surgery by his initial cardiologist). We were apprehensive and so, were referred to Dr. Calkins by another physician. Dr. Calkins was wonderful, very knowledgeable, and informative. A year later, my husband is still doing well, has not needed this surgery. We are very thankful to have been able to be seen by Dr. Calkins and will certainly go back to him if needed in the future.

September 29th, 2014
Sr Professional Staff-APL
The Dr. was very frank about my heart issue. We tried the conventional medications but in the end a procedure was necessary. He was very professional and answered my questions quickly. He took the time to explain everything. His administrators and medical staff were top notch. They respected me and each other. You could tell they had a good working relationship built on trust. After the procedure Dr. Calkins came to my room 3 times to check on my progress. He made sure I was aware of the healing process and what to expect over the course of the next few days, weeks and months. I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Calkins to my family and friends.

September 29th, 2014
Keep On Bikin'
Thanks to a complex ablation and good follow-up care by Dr. Calkins, I've been able to continue mtn-biking all over the world.

September 27th, 2014
Dr Hugh Calkins, John's Hopkins University/Hospital
Best doctor in the US treating patients with various arrhythmia disorders. I have been Dr. Calkins patient since 2008 and travel from Florida to John's Hopkins to take advantage of his knowledge and considerable skills. Dr. Calkins is on the cutting edge of research in the treatment of heart arrhythmias and is Professor of Cardiology at John's Hopkins University. He has given me a second chance at a full and active life. John's Hopkins Hospital and Dr. Calkins are worth the trip!

August 8th, 2014
Super Doctor
I had been to five cardiologists for 7 months, and no one could find the right combinations of medicines for my AFIB. Dr. Calkins was successful, and I have been out of AFIB for at least a month. I feel like a million dollars! I am an extremely healthy individual and developed AFIB 24 hours after having the Senior Flu Shot. I am very grateful to him for also answering his e-mails very promptly. I do not need to go back to see him unless I have a problem. I wish I had seen him immediately after I had the problem.

August 5th, 2014
Dr. Calkins is the best cardiac arrhythmia specialist! Prior to being under his care, my heart arrhythmias were out of control even though I was taking medications for them at the time. Thanks to Dr. Calkins's advice and treatment, my situation is now stabilized.

August 30th, 2013
A doctor's doctor. Now I know why.
I have heard about Dr. Calkins from a few friends and now my doctor has called him for a phone consult. I cant thank him enough for taking the time t ...

June 23rd, 2013
Dr. Calkins is a world-class expert in heart rhythm problems, and a very caring and effective practitioner
I made an appointment with Dr. Calkins because I was experiencing frequent episodes of Atrial Fibrillation which was interfering with my need for an a ...