Dr. Hugo Higa MD Patient Reviews

• Ophthalmology Honolulu, HI

3.1

October 9th, 2016
He did my cataracts, eyebrows.. ..great job. He's doing my eyelids in 2 weeks. The only reason why I didn't give him the highest score is because on all 3 occasions prior to surgery, I had waited in the reception area for 2 hours before my name was called. Otherwise, Dr. and staff are extremely helpful and nice.

April 4th, 2016
Staff very friendly and attentive.

September 19th, 2015
Very poor treatment. Staff is very unprofessional, while the Dr. Claims he knows what he is doing. There are other Drs. On Oahu who are better trained and more experienced so dontbwaste your time going to Higa.

July 22nd, 2014
I am a bit surprised by some of the negative reviews but everyone has their own opinion and experience. I was looking for a new doctor in town and decided to go in. It was the optomotrist who suggested the cataract surgery and said Dr. Higa would make the final diagnosis. His new facility on Beretania street had not opened yet so I did go down to Pali Momi. I did really enjoy that hospital and the staff. I found them friendly and they remembered me and my sister who picked me up. I did find some of the phone calls from Pali Momi to be redundant and a bit pesky. I had a lot of followups but considering its an eye surgery I wouldn't have it any other way. My heal time was quick. The only negative comment I have is his staff seems to pack in the patients and there is a wait time. With his schedule I have no idea when he would see all those patients. He does answer all questions and concerns. Hawaii is a small state, he's polite even if I see him in public. I would and have recommended my family to go and see him. Thank you!

May 7th, 2013
The staff at the Pali Momi office was boisterous and loud. While apparently polite, they did not think that professional behavior was required early in the morning; it sounded and seemed as if I were in a fraternity/sorority house with a party going on at 8 o'clock in the morning. Quite jarring. In addition, I was not given a print out on what procedures were done and their cost. The report I requested to be sent to my primary care physician was apparently faxed; Dr. Young's office received a blank page and then another with wavy black lines--nothing readable, nothing that could be considered a report. So while one might think that the staff seems courteous because they give you eye contact, say, "Hello," and smile, the fact that the office personnel were loud, dialogue was about socializing and not focused on clients made the experience unseemly. The impression was one in which the lack of professionalism would negate "courteous staff." The fact that no one called Dr. Young's office to see if the report came in readable order is also inexcusable and speaks of a lack of concern (professionalism). I would not recommend this office to my friends or family who seek an ophthalmologist. In fact, one staff member remarked how loud the rest were and only behave that way when Dr. Higa is not there. Again--lack of professionalism. I had more tests done at an optometrist who explained everything before each procedure. That was an enjoyable experience. Please send this to Dr. Higa's office.

February 19th, 2013
my self
I got surgery done I thought it help my problem but insted one eye is bigger than the other.and not just that, I have problems with one. I have pain and so much dry eyes. they still don't close properly. I keep telling my self it will get better but its not. i wish have gone somewhere else.
Doctor's Response

As you are aware, we heal at different rates and amounts, especially if two sides are operated on simultaneously. For significant disparity we can correct the lid. The surgeries are designed to be adjustable as needed. I encourage you to follow up with us for this problem.

February 15th, 2013
Sad to say...overall their office is more concerned about patient volume vs. quality patient care. I learned this a little too late, but better late than never. The initial care/consultation was good. After surgery follow up care...NOT GOOD. Made a follow up appointment 6 months in advanced at a time so I wouldn't have to take off of work (again) only to have the office manager call me and tell me that I needed to come in earlier. After explaining that I had this appointment for the last six months for a reason, I was basically told that I can either come early or it's my problem (probably cause they already have a good sum of my/my insurance company's money. So...I never went back. My referring doctor and I will not be making any recommendations to him anytime soon.

November 29th, 2012
Friendly and Professional Clinic
I found my visit to be pleasant. Front staff were friendly. Waited a bit longer than I would have expected, but Dr. Higa spent as much time with me as I needed once I got in to see him. I have recommended this doctor to my friends and co-workers.

November 12th, 2012
Appealing advertisement; HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!
Dr. HIga has poor be side manner. As I awaited surgery, he chatted with people in room, barely acknowledging me. After surgery I didn't receive any review on post op instructions and read instructions on papers sent home with me. I had excessive bleeding and called physicians exchange and he did not call. The operator called me back three times to check if he responded. I contacted his office the next morning and left a message. They called to to tell me I had a follow up appointment in a few minutes which I had no idea. It was not in post op papers and I was not told. After a long wait, they did take me. I had an an unusual amount of swelling and went back a couple of days later. The staff looked at me as if uncomfortably surprised and took me in right away; probably didn't want other patients to see my condition. Dr. Higa asked me if I was using the ointment three times a day. He prescribed it for twice a day. He tried to make light of it that it didn't look as bad as I sounded but the expression on his face when he saw me was not assuring. I shared this story with a few people and in turn heard of two friend's bad experiences with Dr. Higa. One went to another doctor later and had the same procedure redone. The sad part is my ophthalmologist referred me I was a bit leery of his fancy commercials. A good surgeon shouldn't have to advertise. And by the way, he really is into his designer suits...never had a surgeon come into the operating room in a suit before.

July 18th, 2012
Surgery came out terrible, if you want one eye looking bigger than the other, don't go to this doctor.
Doctor's Response

Anonymous, as you are aware, surgery is not an exact science. There are instances where the outcome may not be what you expect. I encourage you to contact our clinic regarding your concerns. We are happy to discuss this with you. Thank you.

March 15th, 2012
my wife was terribly disfigured. went back a second time and higa could not fix the problem.. more interested in mass production and making money. definitely would not recommend to anyone.
Doctor's Response

Anonymous, without knowing the type of surgery performed, I cannot accurately determine what the issue was. Please contact us- we would be happy to address your concerns. Have a good day.

July 1st, 2011
I am a Nurse and a Patient and have the HIGHEST REGARD for Dr Higa's professionalism, care, diagnostic ability and his caring manner. I would place Dr Higa is my "Gold Circle" of Physicians, in the top 10 % of all the Physicians I have worked with and seen as a Patient. IMy nursing career has spanned over 30 years, so to plave Dr Higa in the 10% is the highest rating I could provide. I have absolute confidence in his ability and the respect he accords his patients. His staff are warm, personable and welcoming as well.
Doctor's Response

Jacqueline, thank you for your comments. Always a pleasure to read positive reviews. Let us know how we can improve!