Dr. Hyun Bae MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

no change

June 5th, 2016
A doctor who doesn't back away from challenges
Dr. Hyun Bae did something that 7 other well-known LA neurosurgeons refused to do: take on the tough challenge of correcting a 7-year-old botched surgery. Revisionist surgery is a delicate and difficult undertaking. Everyone else looked at my spine, saw too many problems, and backed off. Dr. Bae looked at the same problems and came up with a plan to fix them. He essentially rebuilt my lower spine. As promised, he took away the constant pain, for which I will be eternally grateful. My initial surgery in 2007 was to correct a foot drop; that “celebrated” surgeon, Dr. Patrick Johnson, not only did NOT correct the problem, but created several more: a deterioration of muscles from the foot on up my entire left side, rendering me unable to walk without knee-high bracing, and with a wheelchair looming in my future. Dr. Bae arrested that progression; there’ll be no wheelchair for me now! Nonetheless, even Dr. Bae, amazing as his talents are, couldn’t bring back what is already atrophied. However, with the massive remnants of scar tissue and blockages removed, a stronger spine and now pain-free, I can finally attempt to “wake up” what muscles remain and, if I work hard in PT, at least bring back much-needed stability. As you can tell from my story, I’m unfortunately familiar with way too many doctors. I know the difference between waking up from one kind of surgery and the way I felt waking up from this one. One guy was in a hurry, one guy was an artist. Which is why, without reservation, I can confidently recommend Dr. Hyun Bae to help others as he has helped me.

May 26th, 2015
Dr Bae and his practice ARE the epitome of Obama Care with high fees and NO COMPASSION. Last year, I was referred by a highly respected colleague for a 2nd opinion. after waiting 2 weeks for an appt, I called the office to tell them I might be 15 minutes late, at which point the office staff informed me if I was not there on time they will have to reschedule. Fortunately, I got there on time and then I had to wait 2 1/2 hours to be seen. The PA took my history and 30 minutes later I was seen by Dr Bae. He made NO eye contact with me, no engaging and made a quick diagnosis and recommended a highly invasive procedure with NO explanation. I informed him that this was for a 2nd opinion at which point he made negative references about Dr. Melamed which I found very inappropriate. He was very arrogant. This experience made me question the ethics of this practice. I ended up going back to Dr. Melamed and as it turned out, I didn't need surgery. Under Dr. Melamed's supervision and specific exercise program I ended up being pain free now. If you need a spine surgeon Dr. Melamed is by far the best and most compassionate spine surgeon you will ever see.

January 30th, 2015
Amazing, saved me on many levels of worry. I am honored to have Dr Bar be so dedicated to healing. I saw 4 doctors whom scared me with needless worry. Dr. Bae brought the reality to a finite, understable knowledge for me. The absolute best surgeon!!!

November 11th, 2013
Dr. Bae is the best
Dr. Bae did a wonderful job on my back a little less than a year ago. I healed perfectly, and am now much more flexible and completely pain free. Dr. Bae is most pleasant too me, communicates clearly and listens to me. I could not want a better doctor.

September 13th, 2012
Thanks to Dr. Bae I am finally fusing in my neck with 3 levels after having 2 failed back surgeries with 3 levels since 2006, and still waiting to fuse. I am grateful that I finally found a doctor that actually cared enough to help me! Thank God for Dr. Bae and his caring staff

December 21st, 2011
Neck surgery
After two years of neck pain and speaking with six other surgeons I located Dr. Bae. I flew from Cleveland, Oh to Santa Monica to have Dr. Bae perform neck surgery. He is an exceptional doctor and can do things no otehr surgeons even offer. I highly recommend Dr. Bae for any of your spine problems.

October 7th, 2011
Mahin Rafikian Mobasser
Dr. Bae is an absolute angel. I had been suffering with back pain which radiated down to my legs and at times made it impossible for me to walk for more than 2 years. During my first visit with him, his caring ways and the time he spent explaining my problems and how he would go about resolving it put me at ease completely and I immediately decided to have him operate on my back even though he was the 3rd surgeon I had consulted about my problem.It has been 15 days since my surgery. The shooting pain to my leg was gone the day after the surgery. I am able to walk and sit with very little discomfort and have not taken any pain medication in about 8 days. Prior to meeting Dr. Bae and having him perform his absolute "magic", I had been taking some form of pain medication for a little over 2 years.No words could express my gratitude to Dr Bae and his caring staff and his wonderful assistant Lisa. I will be forever grateful to you for what you did for me. May God bless you and continue to guide you as you go on healing those suffering with pain. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. My only regret is not having come to your office 2 years earlier. THANK YOU!

June 19th, 2011
Gave me back my life
I was suffering from L-4, L-5, lumbar stenosis, I had been through everything the insurance company insisted upon, 2 epidurals, no help, 1 year of acupunture, no help, physical therapy, some help, but not enough, I thought there had to be someone who had the answer, my orthopedic at the time stopped taking my insurance, and I'm glad he did, I decided to call the spine institute at cedars, and I was put in touch with Dr. Bae, and that was the begining of the end, of my pain, within moments of reviewing my MRI, he knew, exactly what I needed to have done. I have to admit, I couldn't believe at first, that someone could know that quickly!I thought, I would have to go down a long road with him, to find the answer, but that was not the case. Within a few weeks of meeting him, I was out of pain, the sciatic pain, that kept me from being able to sit down, and had me basically crawling into the hospital was gone. The only pain that I was now experiencing was the incision pain, but that is almost gone now. Thank you so much Dr. Bae, and thank you to Lisa, and the wonderful team of doctors & Nurses that you assembled, to put me back together! I couldn't be happier.

April 12th, 2011
Vetebroplasty
I would like to express my gratitude to Dr. Bae for the excellent service he provides. Before I started coming to Dr.Bae, I was diagnosed with vertebral hemangiomas and have had severe chronic back pain from it for the last 5 years. I've had chiropractic treatments, physical therapy, acupunture, epidural injections and I've seen 6 different surgeons, 2 neurosurgeons and 4 orthopaedic surgeons, no one was able to help me, instead all the other surgeons I saw kept on telling me hemangiomas do not cause back pain when indeed it does. After my first visit with Dr. Bae, I knew I was in good hands, he thoroughly went over my MRI with me and clearly explained the procedure he would be performing during my surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. Hyun Bae to anyone without hesitation. He is very competent and he really cares about his patients, he is an excellent surgeon. Thanks to Dr. Bae, I am pain free and am able to live a normal life again.

April 7th, 2011
A true healer and life changer, Best Doc!!!! Made me dance again
Every time I tried to move it felf like someone stabbed me in the back. I became a criple. I had to do something I finally had the courage to seek help. I was recommended to Dr Bae by so many of my clients. He was such a nice and caring individual. He helped me understand my problem. He took such good care of me and his staff was fantastic. I had surgery six months ago and now I can dance again. I've never felt better and in such gratitude to Dr Bae for giving my life back. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!,

April 4th, 2011
Life Changer
I had horrible chronic back pain for years. I had seen several other spine surgeons in the past, and was told that my pain was non-operable. I tried years of different medications, physical therapy, and epidural injections without any success.I was referred to Dr. Bae who took the time to really explain everything to me and my family.Dr. Bae operated on me 4 months ago, and I have been pain free for the first time in years. My wife says that I am a new person.My family and I are so grateful to Dr. Bae. He really changed my life.

April 4th, 2011
truly amazing
I was in terrible pain and went to see Dr. Bae in a semi-urgent manner. I was told that I had a disc herniation that was pressing on my nerve. I tried epidurals and various medications with no help..my pain and disability was getting worse. After much deliberation, I chose to have surgery with Dr. Bae. I am 1 1/2 weeks after surgery and am truly amazed. The surgery was a success and his staff is great..always returned my call and answered my questions..If you have back problems please see Dr. Bae in Santa Monica.