Psychiatrist

1.5

Rude, Ignorant, GOD COMPLEX, know it all, FRAUD show details Rude, Ignorant, GOD COMPLEX, know it all, FRAUD
May 16th, 2015

Have been seeing Dr Ian Magill for years, at first I thought he was helping but slowly I began to see the cocky, arrogant, "I know everything" "I'm always right" DR. He would berate me and make me feel like I was nothing because I am bipolar and self medicate - only because he couldn't find or wouldn't find a med that worked for me. He just kept upping my dose and upping my dose. He ordered lab work for me 3 times but every time I asked for the results he said he didnt get them? YES - HE DID. The visits were ALWAYS less than 15 minutes. DO NOT GO TO THIS DR.

Don't expect much from this man. show details Don't expect much from this man.
May 13th, 2015

Dr. Magill performed a quick history without appearing to be interested in me or my psychiatric condition. For example, when I told him I was seeing a psychotherapist, his only question was "where", as if his office location had meaning. He did not ask anything else about my therapist or his care. After a cursory evaluation of my history and my current well-being, Dr. Magill recommended that I continue the same meds that another psychiatrist had prescribed. When I asked whether it was appropriate to taper or discontinue one or more of the meds, he stated flatly that it was not. It would be risky, he said. When I outlined my prior med history, including the successful tapering and discontinuation of prior meds (and the risk entailed), he remained steadfast. Although his decision was reasonable, he did not elaborate with any facts, research or prior experience that would have indicated that this was anything other than an arbitrary decision. He didn’t even explain his thinking. Later on, he stated clearly that he did not evaluate patients for potential return to work, since he did not know much of my work history and its stresses nor much of my psychiatric history. I stated that the reason I had made an appointment was for ongoing care, which included an assessment of my condition, work history, stresses and psychiatric history. He stated that he was not a physician who would do that -- an independent medical examiner would be the one to evaluate potential return to work. When I explained that I thought he might perform a more complete psychiatric evaluation, he looked at me blankly. When I stated that it seemed he had no interest in finding out about me, he said "they're your words". At that point I said good-bye. I will not return.

Awful experience show details Awful experience
Nov 7th, 2013

Terrible office staff the office manager was soooo rude and out of line. They should be reported to the state board. Absolutely awful experience. Crystal the office manager should be fired.

disrespectful and rude show details disrespectful and rude
Aug 16th, 2013

Dr. Magill was the most disrespectful doctor with whom I have ever spoken in my life. Here is our conversation: He talks a mile a minute about medications without even asking me why I'm there. Finally, I say: RF: I don't know if you got a chance to look at what the psychologist wrote, but I'm not really here for medication management. I'd like to talk about ECT (electroconvulsive therapy). Magill: You're not a candidate for ECT. RF: [waits for explanation, none forthcoming]. You mean they wouldn't accept me as a patient it, or…? Magill: I wouldn't do it. You haven't tried all the medications yet. RF: But ECT has a much higher success rate than any of the medications. Magill: Do you want heart surgery or do you want to take a pill? RF: It's not heart surgery. Magill: You can have memory loss. RF: I know. I've read the research. Magill: [snarling with contempt and sarcasm] So treat yourself then. RF: This isn't going to work. [gets up and starts to walk out] [at door] RF: You know you really should talk to your patients with a little more respect. Magill: I think it's you. Arguing with a professional! RF: It's supposed to be a dialogue. Magill: A dialogue, yes, but you're not much one for that, are you? "Don't bother to tell me about it." RF: I didn't say not to bother to tell me about it. I said that I had read the research. In any case, regardless of what I said, you should speak to your patients respectfully. Magill: You need to go somewhere else. [He brushes past me and walks out.] This conversation left me in tears. Not exactly the sort of help or treatment that you want from someone who's supposed to be helping you feel better when you come in about major depressive disorder.

Dangerous - stay away show details Dangerous - stay away
Jun 17th, 2013

Dr Magill should have had his licence revoked years ago. His bedside manor is disgusting and beyond that he doses out medication without truly considering your symptoms or health. He perscribed a large jump in dosage without a taper and it resulted in hand tremors that have not subsided. This man obviously didn't take his oath serious. And CM council is just as bad for hiring someone like him. Stay away from him he is dangerous. He is condesending, rude, mocking and just plain horrible. We all deserve better than him. I wouldn't have given him any stars but I couldn't complete my review without him. I wish I had see this website before becoming a patient.

Don't bother, find another doctor show details Don't bother, find another doctor
Feb 27th, 2013

During my first visit with Dr. Magill, he seemed somewhat interested in what I had to say, but only spent about five minutes with me. The second time, he answered his cell phone in the middle of my appointment. As soon as he hung up, he flew out the door and drove off without an apology or explanation. Definitely not professional, and especially bad behavior for someone working in the mental health field.

Unprofessional and rude show details Unprofessional and rude
Jan 16th, 2013

I have never walked out of any appointment, ever. I walked out with Dr. Magill. He was rude, did not listen to what I was saying, and was completely unsympathetic to my situation. There is a reason that it is easy to get an appointment with him.

Disappointed... show details Disappointed...
May 25th, 2012

Seeing him nearly cost my life.i took lithium &he didn't do proper followUp test.when he did order tests his handwriting was so bad the labDidnt't do all the tests twice and he blamed Me!my arms and legs jerked pretty bad ,I made a special appointment-he wanted to give sleep meds which I refused.my primary dr started to reduce my meds&with an attitude magillstopped my bipolar&antidepressant in one day.he said the meds wouldn't work if I took less.he gave me a small dose of other meds.ihad a break down changed psych& was diagnosed with acute kidney failure.

FAKE show details FAKE
Apr 20th, 2012

This man should not be involved with medicine for helping people who need the appropriate care..... He didn't pay attention to anything I said. He talked down to me. When I didn't have the same opinion with him he became argumentative. This man doesnt read the information from your chart concerning your medicine... He has his own agenda on what is best for the client not what the client needs.... He is mocking. DO NOT PAY MONEY TO SEE THIS PERSON. Not sure how he lives with himself. Just because you have been in practice for 24 yrs does not mean you are good at your job.

Oct 27th, 2011

Doesn't listen, doesn't try to get to know you. Makes a definitive diagnosis after meeting once for 5 min and doesn't budge if you say otherwise.

Suzy Mulrane show details Suzy Mulrane
by Jan Douglass on Mar 18th, 2011

She should be fired. She hung up on me then would not answer her phone!

Nov 12th, 2009

Doesn't seem to care about you at all. Sometimes feels like he is a bit accusing. Am switching drs after 5 years of this.

Excellent Doctor show details Excellent Doctor
Jun 12th, 2009

The man actually saved my life. He worked with me for years until I could cope and was over my depression. The guy is brilliant.

Keep Searching- This Doctor is a Joke show details Keep Searching- This Doctor is a Joke
Apr 27th, 2009

He is horrible, spends less than 5 minutes with me. I have had 3-4 appts with him. He "diagnosed" me within 3 minutes of meeting me and gave me incorrect information about the medication he prescribed. Wrong dosage and amount and now wants me to go back in and pay another surcharge so he can fix his own mistake. I would not recommend him to anyone, horrible!! Really gives the impression he is there to collect the fees and does not know much about the medication in which he prescribed. Direct Quote "I dont know, I just prescribe the stuff" when asked the differences between Xrelease and Normal Release.

Feb 24th, 2009

He told me he had never met a patient like me in 20 years. I asked, "You've never encountered treatment resistant depression?" He was cold and dismissive when his treatment didn't work for me. He basically told me there was something wrong with me because I didn't respond to medication. Not the right approach in interacting with an already severely depressed patient.