Dr. Ikar Kalogjera MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

January 9th, 2017
Best ever!!
I have been seeing Dr. Kalogjera for over 30 years. I had been seeing a therapist since I was 15. Finally in my early 20s it became obvious that I needed more than talk therapy. Dr. Kalogjera diagnosed my bipolar and prescribed the proper medication, and has treated not only with meds, but with the appropriate verbal therapy. I feel that this two pronged approach is the key to successful treatment (simply handing out pills is not the way to practice medicine.) When I first came to him, I was a mess. Now at this point I function well. My road to recovery hasn't been without challenges, but Dr. Kalogjera has been there for me, 24/7. If I need him I know that I can contact him anytime, even at 2AM, and he will be there for me. This type of care is almost unheard of in the medical profession. He is always on the cutting edge of medication treatments, and has worked patiently with me to find the correct medication/dosages. In short, I highly recommend him. He is a true physician - not just someone who rushes patients out the door so that he can see more of them - but one who truly cares and takes time to heal them.

December 8th, 2016
An outstanding physician who takes his oath seriously.

November 16th, 2016
I don't think you could say one bad word about Dr. Kalogjera. He's fa fa fabulous and really talented.

September 14th, 2016
Best psychiatrist ever
Dr. Kalogjera is the best psychiatrist I have ever had. He treats me with respect and is always thorough during every visit. He is friendly and cares about what I have to say...... especially new information about myself which may be good or bad news in regards to my health. He adjusts my medication as need be and is always well versed on new meds and which meds may or may not be a good fit for me. Also, if I need to see him before my next appt, he always makes time.

August 16th, 2016
I had few results with my previous medication regime for my Bipolar and PTSD until I started seeing Dr. Kalogjera. Within a month, after he had proposed new changes to my current medications both adding, decreasing and removing some medications, things started to change for the better. Stabile mood, decrease of impulsive behavior, stabile sleep, just to name a few of the many positive results I experience. To say he knows medications and how to prescribe them would be an understatement. He's on the cutting edge of new medications also. He is kind, compassionate, and empathetic as well.

August 16th, 2016
Dr. Kalogjera is very smart and really cares.

July 13th, 2016
Very fond of...why
I feel Dr. Kalogjera is the most gentile, kind, considerate, available, gentle, caring, sympathetic, empathetic, understanding, funny, decorated, disciplined, humble, endearing, inspirational, honest, good hearted, prestigious, accomplished, upstanding doctor there is!

June 27th, 2016
Exceptional doctor and scholar
Dr. Ikar Kalogjera is truly exceptional. After four years of failed treatment for an erroneous diagnosis of depression given and confirmed by other psychologists and psychiatrists, Dr. Kalogjera devoted three hours for our first appointment and came up with a correct diagnosis of an end of spectrum bipolar II. My life changed since that day and I have enjoyed full health and functionality under his care for the past six years. He is one of the few psychiatrists in town that combines prescription medication with talk and behavioral therapy. As faculty member of the Medical College of Wisconsin, with love for teaching and research, he brings the latest discoveries to his practice and shares them with patients who are interested to engage fully with their treatment. It gives me a lot of confidence to have an award-winning doctor who is working at the forefront of his discipline. While his accent needs some getting used to, Dr. Kalogjera brings his own understanding of diverse cultural experiences into his practice and knows how the same condition may be experienced differently for patients from different backgrounds, including America, Europe and Asia. Even though my insurance does not cover this excellent doctor, every dollar spend out of pocket has been fully earned. .

May 26th, 2016
Literally the best
Amazing. Dr. Kalogjera literally saved my life. I was having massive anxiety problems and suffer from bi-polar disorder. He was able to diagnose me, work through therapy and the appropriate balance of medications to return harmony to my life. I cannot speak highly enough of him and his work.

April 7th, 2016
I found Dr. Kalogjera to be exceptionally strong in all areas of psychiatry especially in medication knowledge and therapeutic strategies. I've had a few of the top psychiatrists in the state and in my opinion Dr. Kalogjera was by far one of the best. I found him to be very humble and an extremely kind gentleman.

April 7th, 2016
All PsychMD's should aspire to be as great as Dr. K
I have been seeing Dr. K for about 2 years now, and currently he is treating me for Adult ADD (Dx 2009), BP-II, and some periods of anxiety. Just the ADD & BP-II combination makes treating me difficult, and that isn't even considering my sleep disorder and other things in my past medical history. I came to him after my prior PsychMD, whom was also wonderful, began to primarily work with inpatient psychiatry. Dr. K was able to see me EXTREMELY fast for the world of psychiatry, and he was very attentive to my concerns and needs. About a month after I start to see him it became apparent that our daughter, at the time age 5, NEEDED to get psychiatric care for ADHD and Anxiety issues that became evident when she started school. EVERYWHERE we looked had at least a 3-6mo wait time to be seen as a new pediatric patient (now its more like 12-18 months....such a terrible thing), but Dr. K saw her within 2-3 weeks of us asking him to see her. My daughter has since become very fond of Dr. K and is always excited to go to her appointments. Anyways, back to me. One aspect I appreciate greatly is that Dr. K treats myself (and my wife, whom comes to my appointments) with respect, compassion, and dignity. To some degree he treats my wife and I more like fellow peers in healthcare than he does as a patient. Maybe it is because my wife is a Nurse Practitioner, and I have a long history of healthcare related work and education, but in all honesty I think it is because he actually LISTENS to us versus reading a sheet of paper with Medical/Psych histories on it. Whenever we come to him with a new treatment plan or adjustment to medication he hears us through, provides his feedback, and if we are not in agreement (which virtually never happens) he continues to work with us to reach a plan that is not doomed to failure from the start. Dr. K is also ALWAYS fast to respond to any concerns/issues we have outside of office visits, and this is despite the fact he has NO support staff to field messages for him. Honestly, I don't know when Dr. K is ever NOT seeing patients aside from vacations and perhaps Sunday's! In complete honesty I can say that, while YES it isn't always a garden of roses (I might have only TWO events that I was less than happy with Dr. K on, and in HIS defense, he did have some other things going on that are likely the real reason behind these two events), Dr. K has overwhelmingly been a god-send for my family and me. Without him I cannot possibly imagine where I would be right now. As a testament to how much we value and appreciate Dr. K, I will say that our insurance plan does not cover visits for either my Daughter or I to see Dr. K. We have chosen to continue seeing him, and paying 100% out of pocket to do so (MIND YOU! Dr. K, further showing his compassion, has worked with us on payment for services). Anyone that cannot see how great of a provider he is must seriously be in denial about things or has ZERO idea about what the reality inside US Psych Medicine is. Enough said.

January 21st, 2016
Seems genuinely concerned, but occasionally nods offl