Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Best psychiatrist ever show details Best psychiatrist ever
by S. Lawrence on Sep 14th, 2016

Dr. Kalogjera is the best psychiatrist I have ever had. He treats me with respect and is always thorough during every visit. He is friendly and cares about what I have to say...... especially new information about myself which may be good or bad news in regards to my health. He adjusts my medication as need be and is always well versed on new meds and which meds may or may not be a good fit for me. Also, if I need to see him before my next appt, he always makes time.

by PJP on Aug 16th, 2016

I had few results with my previous medication regime for my Bipolar and PTSD until I started seeing Dr. Kalogjera. Within a month, after he had proposed new changes to my current medications both adding, decreasing and removing some medications, things started to change for the better. Stabile mood, decrease of impulsive behavior, stabile sleep, just to name a few of the many positive results I experience. To say he knows medications and how to prescribe them would be an understatement. He's on the cutting edge of new medications also. He is kind, compassionate, and empathetic as well.

by JOHN JULY on Aug 16th, 2016

Dr. Kalogjera is very smart and really cares.

Very fond of...why show details Very fond of...why
by Blessed on Jul 13th, 2016

I feel Dr. Kalogjera is the most gentile, kind, considerate, available, gentle, caring, sympathetic, empathetic, understanding, funny, decorated, disciplined, humble, endearing, inspirational, honest, good hearted, prestigious, accomplished, upstanding doctor there is!

Exceptional doctor and scholar show details Exceptional doctor and scholar
Jun 27th, 2016

Dr. Ikar Kalogjera is truly exceptional. After four years of failed treatment for an erroneous diagnosis of depression given and confirmed by other psychologists and psychiatrists, Dr. Kalogjera devoted three hours for our first appointment and came up with a correct diagnosis of an end of spectrum bipolar II. My life changed since that day and I have enjoyed full health and functionality under his care for the past six years. He is one of the few psychiatrists in town that combines prescription medication with talk and behavioral therapy. As faculty member of the Medical College of Wisconsin, with love for teaching and research, he brings the latest discoveries to his practice and shares them with patients who are interested to engage fully with their treatment. It gives me a lot of confidence to have an award-winning doctor who is working at the forefront of his discipline. While his accent needs some getting used to, Dr. Kalogjera brings his own understanding of diverse cultural experiences into his practice and knows how the same condition may be experienced differently for patients from different backgrounds, including America, Europe and Asia. Even though my insurance does not cover this excellent doctor, every dollar spend out of pocket has been fully earned. .

Literally the best show details Literally the best
by Jason on May 26th, 2016

Amazing. Dr. Kalogjera literally saved my life. I was having massive anxiety problems and suffer from bi-polar disorder. He was able to diagnose me, work through therapy and the appropriate balance of medications to return harmony to my life. I cannot speak highly enough of him and his work.

by Private Patient on Apr 7th, 2016

I found Dr. Kalogjera to be exceptionally strong in all areas of psychiatry especially in medication knowledge and therapeutic strategies. I've had a few of the top psychiatrists in the state and in my opinion Dr. Kalogjera was by far one of the best. I found him to be very humble and an extremely kind gentleman.

All PsychMD's should aspire to be as great as Dr. K show details All PsychMD's should aspire to be as great as Dr. K
by Rick B. on Apr 7th, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. K for about 2 years now, and currently he is treating me for Adult ADD (Dx 2009), BP-II, and some periods of anxiety. Just the ADD & BP-II combination makes treating me difficult, and that isn't even considering my sleep disorder and other things in my past medical history. I came to him after my prior PsychMD, whom was also wonderful, began to primarily work with inpatient psychiatry. Dr. K was able to see me EXTREMELY fast for the world of psychiatry, and he was very attentive to my concerns and needs. About a month after I start to see him it became apparent that our daughter, at the time age 5, NEEDED to get psychiatric care for ADHD and Anxiety issues that became evident when she started school. EVERYWHERE we looked had at least a 3-6mo wait time to be seen as a new pediatric patient (now its more like 12-18 months....such a terrible thing), but Dr. K saw her within 2-3 weeks of us asking him to see her. My daughter has since become very fond of Dr. K and is always excited to go to her appointments. Anyways, back to me. One aspect I appreciate greatly is that Dr. K treats myself (and my wife, whom comes to my appointments) with respect, compassion, and dignity. To some degree he treats my wife and I more like fellow peers in healthcare than he does as a patient. Maybe it is because my wife is a Nurse Practitioner, and I have a long history of healthcare related work and education, but in all honesty I think it is because he actually LISTENS to us versus reading a sheet of paper with Medical/Psych histories on it. Whenever we come to him with a new treatment plan or adjustment to medication he hears us through, provides his feedback, and if we are not in agreement (which virtually never happens) he continues to work with us to reach a plan that is not doomed to failure from the start. Dr. K is also ALWAYS fast to respond to any concerns/issues we have outside of office visits, and this is despite the fact he has NO support staff to field messages for him. Honestly, I don't know when Dr. K is ever NOT seeing patients aside from vacations and perhaps Sunday's! In complete honesty I can say that, while YES it isn't always a garden of roses (I might have only TWO events that I was less than happy with Dr. K on, and in HIS defense, he did have some other things going on that are likely the real reason behind these two events), Dr. K has overwhelmingly been a god-send for my family and me. Without him I cannot possibly imagine where I would be right now. As a testament to how much we value and appreciate Dr. K, I will say that our insurance plan does not cover visits for either my Daughter or I to see Dr. K. We have chosen to continue seeing him, and paying 100% out of pocket to do so (MIND YOU! Dr. K, further showing his compassion, has worked with us on payment for services). Anyone that cannot see how great of a provider he is must seriously be in denial about things or has ZERO idea about what the reality inside US Psych Medicine is. Enough said.

Jan 21st, 2016

Seems genuinely concerned, but occasionally nods offl

My view as a professional aquaintance show details My view as a professional aquaintance
by David Zarwell, M.D. on Jan 5th, 2016

I have been aware of Dr, Kalogjera's knowlege and work over a period of 20 plus years. In addition to his in depth experience in the treatment of psychopathology, he is a most supportive and positive, affirming therapist whose patients grow stronger and more self-assured as treatment progresses and their insite increases. He is kind and nurturing and very available in times of crisis. I strongly recommend him.

Jan 4th, 2016

Wonderful psychiatrist, the best in the area.

by P on Dec 29th, 2015

None better!! Absolutely superb.

Truly A Very Special Doctor show details Truly A Very Special Doctor
Dec 18th, 2015

To start with a sum-up: the best psychiatrist I have ever seen, and definitively not your "typical" doctor in the best possible ways. I have seen some other psychiatrists, and I also know quite a few people who see other psychiatrists. Compared with my experiences, and those of others I know, nothing compares to the level of understanding, knowledge, compassion, trust, time & availability, and much more that Dr. Kalogjera has to offer. I know what some other doctors have to offer and the often poor demeanor some can have, not to mention the "rush-rush"/ "in & out" tactics. Dr. Kalogjera is truly a "cut-above-the-rest". He listens and gives you time to talk through your medicines, symptoms, and he asks pertinent questions. He also often asks about your life circumstances and is on-board with any other medical conditions you might have, helping you mange your "whole-health" experience. You can tell him how you really feel and any concerns you might have and trust him to be compassionate, understanding, and non-judgmental. He has an office number with voice mail, a 24 hr. emergency pager, and his actual home number on his card. He has never failed in responding promptly, and when needed in an emergency, immediately (even in the middle of the night). I have O.C.D., Anxiety, & Bipolar I. I am sensitive to side effects, and have in the early stages of my health journey been prone to mania. Dr. Kalogjera has been especially skilled in handling situations when my symptoms worsened. He knows what changes to make to keep things from escalating and can talk you through any changes, even when you are not in your best state of mind. Due to his care, it’s been years since I have had any such emergencies, and his unmatched access and knowledge has kept me hospital-free for over a decade. Did I mention that he is an award winning psychiatry professor, besides being a multi-award winning doctor? This definitely adds to his expertise. In my humble opinion, he truly deserves all of the awards he has attained, and probably more, because he really is a very special doctor.

Dec 17th, 2015

Our family has seen Dr. Kalogjera over a period of about 25 years. He has helped us immeasurably and been available anytime we had a crisis - and early during those years, there were quite a few such instances.

Dec 7th, 2015

Dr. Ikar Kalogjera is one of the kindest and most thoughtful persons I have known. I have had sessions with him on and off over a number of years, and I have always known that I could count on his wisdom and concern for my well-being. He has been invaluable in helping me understand many of the complexities of my life, "simply" by talking with him, someone whose training and instinct enable him to help with family and individual dynamics. He has been available for appointments on short-notice, and he has been unfailingly supportive and made a real difference in my positive approach to life. I appreciate his fineness.

The good doctor show details The good doctor
by John July on Dec 5th, 2015

Dr. K. is a master of his craft, dedicated and persistent. Even when the going got tough he helped me pull through to find successful outcomes. He is also a fine gentleman who cares about people.

Nov 28th, 2015

Best in Wisconsin!

Great doctor show details Great doctor
Nov 23rd, 2015

Absolutely a wonderful doctor. Understanding, accurate diagnosis, non judgemental, and genuinely cares for his patients. If only all doctors were like this!

Excellent Provider show details Excellent Provider
by Susan B. on Nov 21st, 2015

Dr. Kalogjera has been a godsend for my daughter. He was able to take her on as a patient when no other facility would due to wait lists. She has made a lot of improvement because of his willingness to start medications due to his strong beliefs on how important it is to act early rather than wait until things get worse. Many other providers are not willing to do that with pediatric patients. He is very dedicated to her care, returns phone calls as soon as possible and goes out of his way to fit in "emergency" follow-ups when needed. My daughter is always very excited to go to her appointments to see him and as a parent I know that she is in great hands. I would highly recommend this provider.

Pleased & recommend without hesitation show details Pleased & recommend without hesitation
Nov 18th, 2015

Dr. Kalogjera perseveres to prescribe the optimal medications to reduce suffering and improve quality of life. He excels at diagnosis and develops personalized treatment to meet you where you are at. He celebrates your victories and remains reliably present during rough times. His practice is one of the very few where you do not have to worry about your private infromation being submitted online and subject to cyber theft. Dr. Kalogjera makes every effort to contact you quickly and in person in case of difficulties and emergencies. You do not have to wade through layers of administrative steps in order to talk to him directly about medication, a need to change an appointment time, or schedule an extra appointment. I highly recommend him.

Nov 18th, 2015

An excellent doctor with top-tier service - highly recommended!

2 Years of frustration and misdiagnosis show details 2 Years of frustration and misdiagnosis
Nov 17th, 2015

Within the first 10 minutes of the first visit, he declared a diagnosis of mild bipolar disorder. At age 71 it is an unusual diagnosis because of my age and the fact that I have no history of manic periods. We learned later that there is a standard test for bipolar, a questionnaire of 13 questions of which 7 positive answers would indicate bipolar. My score was 1. It is considered standard practice that bipolar disorder is not something that can be diagnosed in one visit. The diagnosis was widely doubted by family, friends, and other physicians. We accepted his diagnosis in spite of our doubts. I got on the medication train and couldn't get off. When I again questioned the diagnosis after a year he sent me to a friend who agreed the diagnosis was possible. During all this time his bills reflected psychotherapy in addition to the medication management but the sessions included little or no counseling nor psychoanalysis. After the second year of medication therapy my emotions were so blunted that I felt I was in a "coma". Then we again questioned the diagnosis on the basis of lack of improvement and descent into numbness. This time he exploded in an unprofessional outburst, ranted and raved about the office, waving his arms and raising his voice. He claimed we were accusing him of lying though we were just trying to suggest he might be mistaken. I have now found another psychiatrist who believes that bipolar disorder was a misdiagnosis and after 6 months has now taken me through the painful withdrawal from the incorrect medicine. I am finally after 2 1/2 wasted years, emerging from my "coma" and looking forward to living again.

18 years and counting... show details 18 years and counting...
by TP on Nov 17th, 2015

I've been seeing Dr. Kalogjera for slightly over 18 years now, and would rather go to no one else. When I was first diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, I was in a really, really bad state. During the first month or so of visits, he also had me see two of his colleagues to confirm his diagnosis. What I have has apparently been misdiagnosed so much over the years that they made changes to it in the DSM-V...but for me it is very accurate. Also, one of the biggest things I appreciated about his care is that he helped me come to certain milestones on my own during the course of my treatment. I would not be around today if not for him.

Nov 16th, 2015

Excellent doctor

B show details B
Nov 15th, 2015

Outstanding in all areas. He is practicing where his talents are and the gifts he's been blessed with.

Skilled and kind show details Skilled and kind
Nov 14th, 2015

Dr Kalogjera is a very compassionate and wise Doctor. You feel his interest and concern. He makes himself available for emergencies. He has helped me immensely and I would highly recommend him for adults or Holden.

Jul 11th, 2015

Dr. Kalogjera treats one of my children. I noticed a positive differance not long after they began to work together. I am glad to have found Dr. Kalogjera as I had difficulty finding a Psychiatrist that could effectively treat my child as well be someone they liked to see each week.

GGGM show details GGGM
by Orilla on Apr 8th, 2015

Should the time come when Dr. Kalogjera decides to retire, I think there will be a day of universal sadness and mourning and I hope is not going to happen for a long long time. I can almost guarantee you and I will never find a Psychiatrist that can compare to Dr. Kalogjera in any area of patient care. This really saddens and worries me. I try to let him know at each appointment that I am extremely appreciative and grateful for the outstanding care he provides. He's a real gem, the kind of Psychiatrist you seldom find in your lifetime.

patient show details patient
by Mike R. on Mar 3rd, 2015

He takes the time needed up front to understand the situation. Has been very intuitive a number of times. I have had problems with my exwife, and his warnings and cautions on what to expect next were helpful. When I ask him a medical question he often thinks it through before answering.

Consultants show details Consultants
by AMO on Jan 8th, 2015

Dr. K is phenomenal. He is so polite, EXTREMELY RESPONSIVE - even with difficult pharmacies, scheduling has always been easy, and he LISTENS!!! That is a big difference between Dr. Kaolgjera and other Psychiatrists today. Today's psychiatrists meet with you for about five minutes, write you a script, and charge you $2-$300. They want to maximize the # of clients they see to maximize their profit, either for themselves, or for their hospitals (and the hospital ones can be rude). They also tend to over-prescribe, so when you start having serious side-effects, as these types of drugs are known for, they'll just put you on something else. Turn 180 degrees, and you have Dr. Kalogjera. He spends the time with you to really understand what is going on, and evaluates the best way to treat your symptoms, and he definitely does not over-prescribe like most do. He is actually very conservative, and he changes doses in very small amounts, because he understands what these drugs can do to you nowadays. We've been with him for at least six years, and we don't even live in the state of Wisconsin anymore. That is how valuable he is. We'll pay out-of-network and out-of-pocket to keep a psychiatrist like Dr. Kalogjera, because his pedigree is impossible to find these days. There are no words suitable (or not enough) to come close to describing how awesome of a doctor he is.

by An adoring patient. Thank you for all you've done. on Dec 16th, 2014

He is not one of the most compassionate doctors, he IS THE most compassionate doctor. He is not one of the highest rated psychiatrists by his patients, he is THE highest rated psychiatrist by his patients as well as his colleagues.

One of a Kind show details One of a Kind
by M. Eclectic on Dec 11th, 2014

Dr. Kalogjera is beyond words. To put in writing that would convey his ability, empathy, deep sincere concern, and intellect probably can't be done as he is just that incredible. From what I know, being in the therapy field, he is well respected by Psychiatrists in the U.S. as well as other countries. If I could, I'd see him several times a week as he helps your mental health and inspires you to be a better person. He is the type of person/Physician that people look up to, model behavior after, stellar work ethic and see as a down-to-earth "guy" which for me is something I appreciate the most about him. Always approachable and is up for a good laugh.

As good as it gets .... show details As good as it gets ....
Dec 10th, 2014

Dr. Kalogjera saved my life. He took time to make a correct diagnosis and his counseling and follow up care would seem impossible to top. He gets 6 six stars out of five in my book.

by Verna Sanders on Nov 6th, 2014

Dr. Kalogjera has treated my grand-daughter for quite a period of time. He has turned her life around. Compassion, patience, knowledge, sense of humor I don't think there is any Psychiatrist who can match the talent he has for taking patients from the depths of severe depression to someone with confidence, coping skills, happiness and ability to look to their future and see nothing but brightness and success. He has a special gift. You don't often meet someone in your life that has God given talent but he does. Thank you Dr. Kalogjera you mean everything to our family.

Jun 23rd, 2014

Dr. Kalogjera treats our bipolar son. His understanding of this disability is great and his compassion for its suffers is profound. .

Don't know where I would be without being under his care! show details Don't know where I would be without being under his care!
by C.C. on Jun 23rd, 2014

Dr. K, as he once referred to himself as an easier alternative for clients, has not only wonderful bedside manner but makes sure you are comfortable. He keeps the environment laid back and he is extremely easy to talk to, as he truly listens and makes full effort to address your issues and questions. Being an intelligent and well versed specialist/medical provider, he is also lighthearted, positive, and genuinely caring. He spends a lot of time to initially get to know you, diagnose and treat the problem/condition. I had given up finding someone in this field who listens, gives feedback, and goes over any relative information thoroughly while answering questions by taking time and making sure things are understood. He is the exact opposite of previous specialists I had been drawn to for the numerous qualifications listed with their name. I have seen several specialists, and with every visit came a 20min wait to spend literally 5-10 minutes max with the provider who simply wrote out the prescriptions and set up the next appointment. He can be reached easily, appointment times are tailored to accommodate any schedule, and if an event arises he will gladly take the necessary steps needed to address the issue. Any improvements made in your condition or difficult battles that have been fought and/or won, he is quick to get up to walk over and shake your hand for a job well done! With reassurance, positivity and hope that with dedication and time, he assures his patients in need, they will be made to feel whole again and to be able to enjoy a happy and healthy life.

VRC show details VRC
by LVF on Jun 20th, 2014

I doubt there is any mental health issue he can't improve- with or without medication. I treasure my appointments with him because I always leave feeling so much better physically and mentally. I know that whatever happens to me, he will always be there for me. Bonus: He is a fabulous dresser.

by Carol on Jun 12th, 2014

I have been grateful for the patience, wisdom, and compassion shown by Dr. Kalogjera over the years that I have worked with him. I appreciate his competence in fine tuning my medications to eliminate negative interactions, his reliability in responding quickly to requests for medications refills, and his flexibility in scheduling. And I am grateful for the concern he has shown for my entire family and of for my professional growth.

by PJP on Jun 9th, 2014

Kind, gentle, caring and brillant.....what more can you ask for.

Fantastic Physician show details Fantastic Physician
Jun 7th, 2014

Dr. Kalogjera is the most compasionate physician I have ever met. I cannot say anything negative, he is so dedicated and caring. He is also very intelligent and is always up-to-date with all issues pertaining to psychiatry and his practice.

by STN on Jun 4th, 2014

There just is no one better.

by PJP on Dec 11th, 2013

He is simply the best.

VRC show details VRC
by Second to None on Sep 27th, 2013

When my world is unraveling and I feel overwhelmed and unable to cope, Dr. Kalogjera is the first person I call. He is able to understand what the problem is and then offers and explains solutions which give me hope again. He helps me look at troubling issues from a more positive perspective which is what I find I needed in order to pick myself up again and move forward. If you are honest with him and trust in his extremely compassionate care, you will never need to see another psychiatrist in your lifetime. He is truly the best psychiatrist this area of the country has to offer. I feel blessed to be in his care.

Best Psych Dr. I've Been To show details Best Psych Dr. I've Been To
by C. Simon on Aug 23rd, 2013

Dr. Kalogjera is a superb dr. He truly cares about me and my well being. I can always count on him to see me (or make sure I'm seen) in the case of an emergency whether he's in town or out of town. He took extra special care of me throughout my entire pregnancy and my baby boy turned out just fine since I had to continue some of my meds. He was careful in making the correct adjustments. I had to bring my baby in to a couple of appts. and Dr. K. was very accommodating. He loves babies. Thank you Dr. K. for your sincere patient care and for helping to make living my life more manageable.

by Hearty Burgundy on Jun 3rd, 2013

He is psychiatry at its finest. I was incredulous on the first visit to find he lists his home, office and pager number on his appointment cards. What psychiatrist does that anymore? It proves just how much he cares about the well-being of his patients. If you have an emergency he is usually willing to see you off-hours as well as on the weekends if you feel it necessary. Again what psychiatrist does that anymore? He is a psychiatrist with old school values but with academic knowledge and clinical experience that is on the fore front of psychiatry.

Jun 1st, 2013

If you want some of the finest psychiatric care there is then Dr.K is it. He one of the kindest,most gentle souls as well as down to earth and caring psychiatrists I've ever met. The manner in which he cares for you is done with such compassion that you never have a doubt that he has your best interest in mind. I know I can tell him anything and is always ready to listen and give you all his attention. He is probably the most intelligent and academically gifted person I have ever met. Feel fortunate if you are lucky enough to his patient.

Excellent doctor! show details Excellent doctor!
by Michelle C. on Mar 29th, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. K for longer than I can remember. He knows SO much about medicine and how different medicines work together or not. He has helped me deal with terrible daily anxiety, depression and postpartum depression when I had my 2nd son. My anxiety and depression are now manageable and I thank Dr. K for that. I would recommend him to anyone!

Best Therapist show details Best Therapist
by D. Berger, Mequon, W on Jun 15th, 2011

I and my family have been seeing Dr. K. for over 30 years. He has dramatically made a great difference in the lives of all us as he is one of the few psychiatrists left that actually practices psycho therapy, medicine fine tuning and extensive counseling.He is internationally known for his accomplishments and I would highly recommend him to all if you are lucky enough to be accepted as a patient.

Frusturated show details Frusturated
Sep 4th, 2009

This doctor seems to be very interested in handing out meds but doesn't seem to take the time to actually make sure they are the right meds. My boyfriend suffers from situational anxiety and the doctor keeps giving him meds that are used for other conditions that he doesn't have. The meds are not working (big shock there) and my boyfriend is becoming frustrated and scared about taking anything. I wish that there was some good way to find a doctor who is willing to help rather than prescribe meds.

Excellent adult and child psychologist and psychiatrist show details Excellent adult and child psychologist and psychiatrist
by Ms. S. Lawrence on Feb 3rd, 2009

Dr. Kalogjera really takes time to find out a lot about his patients and he really makes you feel you are special and he will do his best to provide the best possible care to you. He is very thorough, kind and considerate. One of the other best things about him is his willingness to make appointments around your schedule. He works at night and on weekends...which was great for us. He also has a great sense of humor. It's comforting to know that there is a mental health physician out there that really cares about his patients. I would definitely recommend him to others.

marital therapy poor show details marital therapy poor
Aug 1st, 2008

he would rather keep married people together rather than apart now that he, the husband, and/or the wife should know better; maybe it's a Catholic thing on his part