inactive

Ilana L Schmitt MD Patient Reviews

• 1 comment

October 14th, 2014
Very happy with Dr. Schmitt for 6 years
Very thorough, available by email, treats children with respect.

April 10th, 2014
Have never met such a rude, condescending doctor.
I have had bad experiences with misdiagnoses leading to throat abscesses, and so naturally, I am quite weary when getting another sore throat. Recently I went to the walk-in clinic at UMASS Amherst where Schmitt is employed currently. I did not know the cause of a three-week sore throat that returned after 10 days of antibiotics; this was what I was hoping to find out. I did not expect that every doctor can accurately name the reason behind an ailment immediately; what I did not expect was to be told that "absolutely nothing is wrong with me" with a disbelieving *smirk*. It was abundantly clear that I was in distress- I had been crying before she walked into the room because I hate the idea of another abscess and I fear underestimation from rushed, impatient doctors; it's an uncomfortable thing to hurt to swallow for a month, let alone be operated on. She, exactly as other reviewers have noted, mocked me, saying "I find it hard to believe you are crying because of the severity of your pain." This was my worst fear realized. I had difficulty choosing an appropriately toned reply. When asked if I sleep at night, I said yes; however not well. She never mentioned the throat again- she did, however, go into a great monologue about my apparent anxiety, never pausing to ask questions, never gauging my reactions to her rude words, instead pushing me to get a prescription of ATIVAN. Of all things, ATIVAN?? I had come for a strep analysis (that she finally swabbed), and a recommendation of a nose/ear/throat specialist that she said she would provide but never did. By the end of the appointment I was literally too upset to speak. Attivan is prescribed for depression, anxiety, even schizophrenia. Listen, if I had wanted to go to a psychiatrist, I would have. Unfortunately for her, I had a sore throat that she had the grandeur to decide was a delusion. No student has the choice beforehand of who to see at a walk-in clinic. I waited three hours to be told I was imagining pain in my throat. If any choice is possible, never, ever go to this doctor.

June 10th, 2013
Doesn't listen, shockingly immature, dangerous misdiagnosis
Misdiagnosed an allergic reaction and subsequent impetigo as an infected 4.5 inch burn and mocked us for thinking it might have started as an allergic reaction from a bandage (for an almost-healed 1-inch first degree burn) compounded by banana—which a trip to an allergist confirmed it was. She never bothered to culture the impetigo, and prescribed the wrong antibiotic, which triggered another reaction. The allergist did the culture and told us it was the wrong one, and that it wouldn't work. Fortunately our daughter was completely fine by then, having seen the allergist and a real doctor. Schmidt then tried to have our daughter taken away for neglect. Of course this never happened. This finished our awful experience with this incompetent doctor. She was in such a state she couldn't even read the allergist's business card when I had to see her the next day for insurance purposes for what turned out to be necessary allergy testing. She thought-- in her fury and holy righteousness against what she evidently thought was our "hippie" stance towards "regular" medicine (entirely, provably unfounded)--she thought we were taking our daughter to an alternative care provider she obviously disliked. It took me awhile to see the extent to which she was gripped by delusion. I finally had to read the business card to her and point out the address, the group and the board certification. A nightmare. I could go on. Our other, regular doctors are completely shocked. I have three other children (who, on different insurance, get to see the wonderful Dr. Garretson in Northampton) and have never experienced anything like this. I wish I could give negative stars. Stay away if you value the health and well being of your child.